Var .....superthread

Smoked-Glass

Absolutely 100% behind VAR. 

It improves accuracy overall.

It scrutinises the big decisions - in this league that’s a FANTASTIC development.

No longer can referees bend to the old firm crowd and “guess” or “choose” the best decision - they now know it will be scrutinised.

Any delays caused so far will reduce over time - it’s the second weekend of it, give them a chance.

One criticism I would make is that provision of camera angles should be made consistent across all grounds. The Ross County offside camera angle used yesterday was close to useless. 

Edited by Hearts_fan

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LarrysRightFoot

• BlueRiver

• Bazzas right boot

• postage-stamp

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye fair enough. I dunno though, going to such detail isn't fixing "clear and obvious" errors.

The “clear and obvious errors” doesn’t relate to offsides, that is for more subjective decisions like penalties and red cards.  Offsides are objective and a player is either offside or onside, whether it is one millimetre or one metre, similar to goal line technology, neither is subjective. 

For offsides, football should use one gps marker on each player, located between shoulder blades, and that’s it - no need to consider knees, toes etc. one marker in same place on each player equalises the whole debate. 

28 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Absolutely 100% behind VAR. 

It improves accuracy overall.

It scrutinises the big decisions - in this league that’s a FANTASTIC development.

No longer can referees bend to the old firm crowd and “guess” or “choose” the best decision - they now know it will be scrutinised.

Any delays caused so far will reduce over time - it’s the second weekend of it, give them a chance.

One criticism I would make is that provision of camera angles should be made consistent across all grounds. The Ross County offside camera angle used yesterday was close to useless. 

Exactly

I'm fully behind VAR.

I don't like the stoppages and the waiting but if it means the majority of big decisions are made accurately then fine by me.

There will still be grey areas. Like handball incidents because there still an element of referees discretion involved. If the hand is in an unnatural position etc. It will always be open for debate with the current laws of the game.

I'd also like there to be some link for the fans to listen in to the conversations like in rugby so we can understand better how they came to the decision made.

But that aside I think it's an excellent addition to the game.

For me it is a promising start, we have had the pen v Celtic, the Ross county disallowed goal. On the other side I've not seen it but people are saying there should have been a red for a bad tackle on Barrie. It at least so far does seem to have helped to get more correct decisions. Yes the speed of decisions needs sped up and worked on but hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.

I just hope that they can keep up and even increase the number of correct decisions we are seeing rather than giving everything to the OF

LarrysRightFoot
4 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

What makes you think it will be binned? 🤷

It gets as many things wrong as it gets right - same as most match day officials.

There’s no need for it - most decisions in football (even offside for a lot of people) are subjective and VAR won’t and can’t change that. 

IMO what it’s doing is making refs hesitant to make decisions as they’ll just be thinking VAR will pick it up. Look at our 1st pen v Celtic. 

The psychology for players is being effected by the offside nonsense as well - defenders now need to play on when they know a player is offside, it’s a difficult thing to do and effects reaction times. 

The offside thing is a joke. They freeze frame the last line of defence based or when they think the attacking plays the ball forward - but there’s no way they can actually tell the exact moment the ball leaves his foot. 

It also ruins the celebration of a goal completely. 

I’m for goal line technology as that’s a definitive - do we even have that in Scotland? 

And can I just take this opportunity to thank Miko for barging that cheat.

A Heart of Midlothian hero for that alone. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, WageThief said:

Yeah if they can ever create something that's instant(ish) and not really arguable like goal line technology, that'd pretty much resolve the whole issue with offside.  I suppose you'd need a GPS device in the ball too. 

They are trialling an AI based offside system at the World Cup 

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My only complaint are offside decisions.

Using lines to determine the strikers toe nail is offside isn't correcting clear and obvious errors. There should be a tolerance built in to offside calls.

So you need to change the offside rule.

Harsh reality is that the one area (outside of line technology) where technology takes subjectivity out of officials decision making is offside.

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

They are trialling an AI based offside system at the World Cup 

I think VAR is pretty could for getting off side correct within the current laws of the game but I’d change the laws. Imo it should be full body to be in an offfside position. We should be promoting attacking football so a players knee being further ahead shouldn’t count as offside. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I think VAR is pretty could for getting off side correct within the current laws of the game but I’d change the laws. Imo it should be full body to be in an offfside position. We should be promoting attacking football so a players knee being further ahead shouldn’t count as offside. 

That makes it a lot more difficult to judge for the linesman tho. He’s using the colour of the shirt to determine. But that would change it so he’s got to see daylight between the attacker and defender 

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That makes it a lot more difficult to judge for the linesman tho. He’s using the colour of the shirt to determine. But that would change it so he’s got to see daylight between the attacker and defender 

Is it any harder for the linesman than it currently is ? Remembering it is body parts they are looking at ? 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Dazo said:

Is it any harder for the linesman than it currently is ? Remembering it is body parts they are looking at ? 

Yes. Think about it. Right now he’s just got to see the colour of the strikers shirt behind the defensive line. Whereas doing it your way, he’d see the attacker already run past the defender but would have to judge when the ball was played if his trailing leg was still behind the defensive line and onside which is how it would work, strikers would leave their training leg onside. A lot more difficult for a linesman to see imo 

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes. Think about it. Right now he’s just got to see the colour of the strikers shirt behind the defensive line. Whereas doing it your way, he’d see the attacker already run past the defender but would have to judge when the ball was played if his trailing leg was still behind the defensive line and onside which is how it would work, strikers would leave their training leg onside. A lot more difficult for a linesman to see imo 

Disagree mate I just don’t see it changes much and if unsure flag down and allow var to deal with it. Right now your whole body except your big toe, knee, shoulder can be onside and the goal is chopped off. Is anyone really getting an advantage in that scenario ? 

16 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Don’t think VAR actually changed any on field decisions? 

They had a goal chalked off, can't remember if the linesman had also flagged it?

17 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s absolutely brilliant. Would we have got that one against Celtic last week?  No chance? Would that Ross County goal have stood today - absolutely.

finally there is no excuse for referees to make “honest mistakes”

so thankfully. It’s not going in the bin - ever. And thank **** for that 

I look forward to the first Old firm game with it and hopefully Collum is in charge.He won't know what to do !

15 hours ago, OTT said:

If Refs could be trusted it wouldn't be needed.

Sadly, I think they're now shit scared to make a decision at all now. 

I just want calls to be correct 100% of the time. There will be ups and downs to it. 

I also think FIFA have got needlessly pernickety over the offside rule. Just make it clear daylight between the attacker and last defender. We want to see goals, this gives the momentum to the attacker. Shanklands 2nd being offside just feels very unnecessary. Like, if you need a camera to pinpoint how he was offside by 1mm, then I don't think much if any competitive advantage was gained...  Shit like that ruins the spectacle for me. Its overly technical. 

Its overly technical though because every single aspect of the game is caught on ultra high def cameras. Then every fan has the opportunity to pour over every decision, again and again.

The offside rule now is actually easier to officiate as it's much simpler. Are you ahead or not? 'Clear daylight' only makes that decision more subjective and up for scrutiny.

If they are going down a technology route with it though, I'd rather offside used the same tech as goal line technology and it just 'beeped' if someone was offside. Reviewing each potential offside after the goal has been scored is terrible as a spectacle.

Edit: agree though that there is no competitive advantage to being 1mm offside!

Edited by spacerjoe

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Disagree mate I just don’t see it changes much and if unsure flag down and allow var to deal with it. Right now your whole body except your big toe, knee, shoulder can be onside and the goal is chopped off. Is anyone really getting an advantage in that scenario ? 

I don’t think you’re really thinking carefully enough about how difficult it is for a linesman to see / how he is actually using his eyes. As the rules are, he is looking for any breach beyond the line of defenders. “Any part of the head, body or feet.” past that line of defenders. 

If it was required for every part of the strikers body to be offside (your suggestion) in order for the flag to validly get raised, ie daylight between him and the defender… it would be far far more difficult to see if the players trailing leg was still onside or not when the ball was kicked. The defensive line which is critical to the linesman, has already been broken, but he has to wait till after that, and judge if the trailing leg was still onside when the players legs are flailing around, everyone is sprinting. Place yourself on the touchline in real time and think about it.

It’s pretty hard to describe why it would make it more difficult for a linesman, but I’ve tried. 

“If unsure allow Var to deal with it” You’re talking about changing the actual rules of association football, including all the levels that do not have VAR ie 99.99% of football games that are played on the planet. Youth games. Pub league games. Or what, the top VAR leagues play the game by different rules or something? Var specific rules? I don’t think that’s right at all. VAR is simply a tool to enforce the rules. The rules must stay as they are 

7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I don’t think you’re really thinking carefully enough about how difficult it is for a linesman to see / how he is actually using his eyes. As the rules are, he is looking for any breach beyond the line of defenders. “Any part of the head, body or feet.” past that line of defenders. 

If it was required for every part of the strikers body to be offside (your suggestion) in order for the flag to validly get raised, ie daylight between him and the defender… it would be far far more difficult to see if the players trailing leg was still onside or not when the ball was kicked. The defensive line which is critical to the linesman, has already been broken, but he has to wait till after that, and judge if the trailing leg was still onside when the players legs are flailing around, everyone is sprinting. Place yourself on the touchline in real time and think about it.

It’s pretty hard to describe why it would make it more difficult for a linesman, but I’ve tried. 

“If unsure allow Var to deal with it” You’re talking about changing the actual rules of association football, including all the levels that do not have VAR ie 99.99% of football games that are played on the planet. Youth games. Pub league games. Or what, the top VAR leagues play the game by different rules or something? Var specific rules? I don’t think that’s right at all. VAR is simply a tool to enforce the rules. The rules must stay as they are 

Rules are never permanent.

PUB game decisions aren’t important.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Rules are never permanent.

PUB game decisions aren’t important.

What about the championship though mate, what about all levels. What about youth team games when the boys are learning the game learning the rules. 

Open to changing the rules if it was an improvement, the daylight suggestion is not an improvement. It would make the rule more inconsistent as it would

make it more difficult for linesmen. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What about the championship though mate, what about all levels. What about youth team games when the boys are learning the game learning the rules. 

Open to changing the rules if it was an improvement, the daylight suggestion is not an improvement. 

Must admit I didn’t read the recent thread enough. Just having a cuppa then back to work.

Daylight rules… haven’t thought about it. Thought you just meant VAR. 

Just a thought. Now that we have the technology to measure microscopic elements of offside and that every goal is going to be checked anyway what if you were only offside if var showed daylight between you and last defender. If no daylight detected then the whole of your body was not ahead of the last defender therefore you're not offside. Like I said, just a thought from someone who'd appreciate the advantage swaying towards the team attacking.

1 minute ago, Chillidigits said:

Just a thought. Now that we have the technology to measure microscopic elements of offside and that every goal is going to be checked anyway what if you were only offside if var showed daylight between you and last defender. If no daylight detected then the whole of your body was not ahead of the last defender therefore you're not offside. Like I said, just a thought from someone who'd appreciate the advantage swaying towards the team attacking.

Ah just realising someone else has touched on this subject.

23 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I see the night classes in patronising have went well. 😂

It is already difficult for linesman, nothing will change in that respect. Your telling me the linesman seen Shanklands foot was offside when the ball was kicked ? Large part of it is guesswork on their part since they can’t have their eyes looking in two different directions at the same time. By allowing car to deal with I mean do as they do now, allow play to continue then allow var to check if a goal is scored. 

There is already an imbalance between the top leagues and the rest with var and goal line technology. They change the rules all the time, especially the offside rule. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The “clear and obvious errors” doesn’t relate to offsides, that is for more subjective decisions like penalties and red cards.  Offsides are objective and a player is either offside or onside, whether it is one millimetre or one metre, similar to goal line technology, neither is subjective. 

You are correct but there’s still whether a ref decides if it’s the same phase of play or if a player has obstructed a GKs view..

As for clear and obvious I think only England use that term, Scotland doesn’t. 

A_A wehatethehibs
20 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I see the night classes in patronising have went well. 😂

It is already difficult for linesman, nothing will change in that respect. Your telling me the linesman seen Shanklands foot was offside when the ball was kicked ? Large part of it is guesswork on their part since they can’t have their eyes looking in two different directions at the same time. By allowing car to deal with I mean do as they do now, allow play to continue then allow var to check if a goal is scored. 

There is already an imbalance between the top leagues and the rest with var and goal line technology. They change the rules all the time, especially the offside rule. 

I’m not trying to be patronising it’s just genuinely difficult to explain my view of why I think it’s more difficult for a linesman to see, without visually being able to demonstrate it. 

As for the Shankland one. He put his flag up. You think he was just guessing? he is watching for any breach of that line. As is the case often for fans we almost never draw attention to when linesmen get it right. He did get that right. VAR only comes into play because a goal is scored. Had the ball gone wide, no var, but it would be a free kick from position of offside offence. Significant 10 yard difference between that and a bye kick which it would’ve been if no flag. What about all the offside offences where no goal is scored. It’s supposed to be a free kick. What we need to go to Var for every single call? The linesman has still got a job to do. 

What you are suggesting is a rule change would increase the amount of guesswork, increase the inconsistency, and increase the amount of wrong decisions at all levels of decisions that do not have VAR in play

Also the offside rule has only changed 3 times ever. 1863, 1925, and 1990 

6 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

They ve had it since 2019 was it not?

Yeah, but I meant the operators of VAR will take a little while to get up to speed. 

avhudtheteeshirt

When I saw Shankland's offside goal, you could clearly see the defenders hand outstretched towards goal but the offside line was near his body?

This arm could be used to stop him running through on goal, so I think it's part of the body and is in play???

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I’m not trying to be patronising it’s just genuinely difficult to explain my view of why I think it’s more difficult for a linesman to see, without visually being able to demonstrate it. 

As for the Shankland one. He put his flag up. You think he was just guessing? he is watching for any breach of that line. As is the case often for fans we almost never draw attention to when linesmen get it right. He did get that right. VAR only comes into play because a goal is scored. Had the ball gone wide, no var, but it would be a free kick from position of offside offence. Significant 10 yard difference between that and a bye kick which it would’ve been if no flag. What about all the offside offences where no goal is scored. It’s supposed to be a free kick. What we need to go to Var for every single call? The linesman has still got a job to do. 

What you are suggesting is a rule change would increase the amount of guesswork, increase the inconsistency, and increase the amount of wrong decisions at all levels of decisions that do not have VAR in play

You seem to over complicating the whole process by suggesting everything is changing. What is deemed offside is changing like it has many times, nothing else. Ref, Linesman and var roles will be as they were now. 

Of course there is guesswork involved since on many occasions it would be impossible to see both when the ball is played and striker movement at the same time. 

A_A wehatethehibs
27 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You seem to over complicating the whole process by suggesting everything is changing. What is deemed offside is changing like it has many times, nothing else. Ref, Linesman and var roles will be as they were now. 

Of course there is guesswork involved since on many occasions it would be impossible to see both when the ball is played and striker movement at the same time. 

I dont want to over complicate it just believe we should stick to the current rule and tried to convey what I believe is the compelling reason to do so. “If any part of the attackers head, body or feet are past the line of the last defenders head, body or feet, that’s offside”. I would not swap that for the daylight version. 

The main reason some folk don’t like the var offside change because essentially, VAR makes it more precise and exact. It makes it more clear if a striker is 6 inches offside. The concept of, “ah it’s a bit tight but give the striker the benefit of the doubt” has shrunk. But that benefit of the doubt, what that actually means is, yes he was slightly offside and the goal technically should not stand by the letter of the law. You are either onside or your offside. Level is still level. It’s just, now it means, exactly level. 

I actually think the offside aspect of VAR is potentially the best element of it for Scottish football. Basically it boils down to the fact that it should ensure that vastly fewer offside goals are scored. If I had a quid for every time Rangers or Celtic scored a crucial offside goal against teams, and the linesman had his eyes closed… I’d have a few quid. For Scottish football I think it’s going to be one of the best improvements and gap closers to the OF. The wee niggly fouls and lack of bookings advantages they get will still be there, but some of these big decisions, having linesmen in their pocket is at least one advantage that has gone. Now it’s an objective fact you’re either offside or onside. No ifs or buts 

It's only good until your team are annoyed by it 🤣

I will await the seethe on here when we don't win because of it completely forgetting the decisions that have benefitted us before.

4 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

It gets as many things wrong as it gets right - same as most match day officials.

There’s no need for it - most decisions in football (even offside for a lot of people) are subjective and VAR won’t and can’t change that. 

IMO what it’s doing is making refs hesitant to make decisions as they’ll just be thinking VAR will pick it up. Look at our 1st pen v Celtic. 

The psychology for players is being effected by the offside nonsense as well - defenders now need to play on when they know a player is offside, it’s a difficult thing to do and effects reaction times. 

The offside thing is a joke. They freeze frame the last line of defence based or when they think the attacking plays the ball forward - but there’s no way they can actually tell the exact moment the ball leaves his foot. 

I’m for goal line technology as that’s a definitive - do we even have that in Scotland? 

I agree with you but that doesn't mean it will be binned. We ll be told to live with it as it will be the only way

The Gorgie Glorious
18 hours ago, Chevy Chase said:

County players shoulder and arm

played Shankland onside for our 3rd

Exactly what I thought aswell 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yeah the job of the linesman is a bit of a nightmare.  

21 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's only good until your team are annoyed by it 🤣

I will await the seethe on here when we don't win because of it completely forgetting the decisions that have benefitted us before.

This is true. 😄

24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I dont want to over complicate it just believe we should stick to the current rule and tried to convey what I believe is the compelling reason to do so. “If any part of the attackers head, body or feet are past the line of the last defenders head, body or feet, that’s offside”. I would not swap that for the daylight version. 

The main reason some folk don’t like the var offside change because essentially, VAR makes it more precise and exact. It makes it more clear if a striker is 6 inches offside. The concept of, “ah it’s a bit tight but give the striker the benefit of the doubt” has shrunk. But that benefit of the doubt, what that actually means is, yes he was slightly offside and the goal technically should not stand by the letter of the law. You are either onside or your offside. Level is still level. It’s just, now it means, exactly level. 

I actually think the offside aspect of VAR is potentially the best element of it for Scottish football. Basically it boils down to the fact that it should ensure that vastly fewer offside goals are scored. If I had a quid for every time Rangers or Celtic scored a crucial offside goal against teams, and the linesman had his eyes closed… I’d have a few quid. For Scottish football I think it’s going to be one of the best improvements and gap closers to the OF. The wee niggly fouls and lack of bookings advantages they get will still be there, but some of these big decisions, having linesmen in their pocket is at least one advantage that has gone. Now it’s an objective fact you’re either offside or onside. No ifs or buts 

I don’t disagree with anything you are saying about var and personally thinks it’s great regarding offsides. 

Offside is there to stop people gaining an advantage. Are we really saying having a toe or shoulder an inch in front of a defender is gaining an advantage ? I’d much rather we allowed the attack to continue or stop if a player is actually gaining sone advantage. 

11 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It was offside.  The linesman got it right and VAR proved it.  Hand ball penalty decisions can be subjective and down to referee interpretation but offsides are not - the technology proves it is offside or onside (and it doesn’t wear maroon tinted goggles!).

So you saw the VAR photo then? What part of his body was offside? Mistakes will happen yeh? I had said the angle of the VAR camera is too low. It should be up higher so you can see offsides more clearly. I’m not convinced we were offside and that’s without maroon tinted glasses. Mine are specsavers. 😂

One change I would like to see with VAR in Scotland is to make sure that all grounds have TV screens. A far better way to communicate what is going on with the fans.

14 hours ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

When I saw Shankland's offside goal, you could clearly see the defenders hand outstretched towards goal but the offside line was near his body?

This arm could be used to stop him running through on goal, so I think it's part of the body and is in play???

Arms don’t count apparently. 

42939778-708D-46F3-8F4C-4A6644F06530.jpeg

Awaiting wee Lee coming out and admitting that VAR is an existential threat to Hibs and their 'style' of play. No place for the cheaters to hide now.

On 31/10/2022 at 16:06, LarrysRightFoot said:

I'm sorry but offside is offside, end of story. Var confirms that either way

• davemclaren changed the title to Var .....superthread