Zander Clark

pointon

12 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

maybe go on a wee holiday too, get a massage and a spa ? ffs it’s not even November 

CF8661C9-FE71-4BA0-9FEA-18D28AEADC4D.gif.45cbed937bd8fd0035e140a98fe4935c.gif

It's more about giving him time to sort his heid out as well as his body. He's making mistakes that are costing the team. I know what it's like as a new faither and if taking some time away to rest the body and mind would help him get back to where he should be, then I'd say go for it. What month it is is completely irrelevant when you've got a screaming potato keeping you awake all day and night. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hesh

10 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

maybe go on a wee holiday too, get a massage and a spa ? ffs it’s not even November 

CF8661C9-FE71-4BA0-9FEA-18D28AEADC4D.gif.45cbed937bd8fd0035e140a98fe4935c.gif

I wouldn't rotate in the two Euro games.

But I would in a couple of the league games.

Has ZC played any football since his arrival? I honestly don't know.

I certainly think CG will need a rest mentally. He has experienced a run of results recently that will have been the worst in has career.

1 minute ago, Kendoll said:

It's more about giving him time to sort his heid out as well as his body. He's making mistakes that are costing the team. I know what it's like as a new faither and if taking some time away to rest the body and mind would help him get back to where he should be, then I'd say go for it. What month it is is completely irrelevant when you've got a screaming potato keeping you awake all day and night. 

most of us on here have had kids.   What if his kid is like that for a year ? Have a year off 🙈  🤣🤣🤣

23 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

theres only €500,000 at stake. 
so let’s put Clarke in when the defence is shite. How on earth is that going to help ?  We just need to see this mess through until we get our CB’s back. The wolves on here will be howling if Clarke made a mistake. Mind they wanted Boyce dropped 🤣🤣 

Clark’s not some rookie keeper he’s played consistently at a decent level for a few years including European games. Gordons made a few mistakes lately so don’t see it being a massive issue giving him a rest for a couple of games. 

Is Gordon dropped or injured?

Nah he's just up at his holiday home in Skye with his wife and newborn baby, getting some rest from his newborn baby.

9 hours ago, Dsjambo said:

Cruickshank was my first hero as a kid, worth about 20 points a season back then, he was a great shot stopper, best around at the time but he never dominated his 6 yard box to any extent. Quite the opposite in fact. His kicking wasn’t his strength either but not a big issue as it was way before the pass back rule came in.

I was just going to post the same thoughts.

Cruickshank was first and foremost an acrobat. He did the impossible things brilliantly. Great reflexes and agility. 

Gordon is even better. Our current permeability is down to the loss of Halkett and Rowles.

Fozzyonthefence
32 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

theres only €500,000 at stake. 
so let’s put Clarke in when the defence is shite. How on earth is that going to help ?  We just need to see this mess through until we get our CB’s back. The wolves on here will be howling if Clarke made a mistake. Mind they wanted Boyce dropped 🤣🤣 

Robbie wanted Boyce dropped too and did drop him.  Maybe because he was paying shite.  Now that’s he been injured for a few months he’s become Ronaldo in some people’s eyes though. Will only be a squad player when he returns and doubt he will get a new contract.

I don’t have a problem if Clark gets a few games but Gordon should remain no1.  He’s nearly 40 though and not playing at the same level as last season and it is possible he’s on his way out.  It’s maybe also possible that Clark has been told he will become no1 from next season, otherwise I find it a bit strange that an international squad keeper would come to us to be no2 for an indefinite period.

tartofmidlothian

Gordon needs a break, especially as a new dad, and he'll get one in a few weeks. Still a class keeper who we're lucky to have.

I've never much liked having a goalie as on-field captain though, even if he more than deserves to be club captain. 

Edited by tartofmidlothian

10 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Sorry   think cruickie did command the 6 yd box.  He came for crosses which modern day keepers stand and eatch

I loved Cruickie as a kid and remember his penalty saves and incredible blocks but watched highlights recently of the 1968 Cup final and kickback would have had a field day on him. As for Craig remember he played for Scotland in June and only had a week off so needs time off to recharge. 

Definitely feel he should start on Thursday night , leave Gordon out the squad all together,  giving him a rest and no questions asked about him bring dropped. 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

most of us on here have had kids.   What if his kid is like that for a year ? Have a year off 🙈  🤣🤣🤣

You not remember what it was like as a first time father? I was a zombie for the first few months, it affected every aspect in my life until my body got used to it. It's just a thought mate, might be good for his mental health more than anything given the errors creeping into his game. Doesn't look like you agree so fair play, just basing it on my own experience. 

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Sherbet said:

He has to command the 6 yd box   but stays on his line.   Coaching ?

Always been his style/weakness. Spoken about a lot over the years.

Corstorphine Jambo

Does anyone know if Zander Clark commands his 6 yard box and/or has decent distribution? I’m asking as I genuinely don’t know the answer. As I’m 100% confident Craig Gordon will be a better shot stopper, I’d need to be persuaded of Clark’s other attributes first before thinking about dropping him

If Gordon didn’t play in Riga we’d be sitting bottom of the group on zero points and €500k less in the bank. 

Yesterday he made one error (if you can even call it that) in palming one of his saves back into danger. But maybe he’d be hoping just once our defenders could bail him out once in a while like he’s done literally hundreds of times since he came back? And absolutely no keeper comes for cross balls in the modern game. The mantra is to stay in the goals and let your defenders deal with it unless absolutely certain you’re getting there.

9 minutes ago, Kendoll said:

You not remember what it was like as a first time father? I was a zombie for the first few months, it affected every aspect in my life until my body got used to it. It's just a thought mate, might be good for his mental health more than anything given the errors creeping into his game. Doesn't look like you agree so fair play, just basing it on my own experience. 

Even if his mrs does the night feeds it will still be waking him up. Speaking from my own experience anyway. Broken sleeps then going into work is tough. He's our captain and lately hasn't looked like a leader. I think people are scared to say he needs a rest because we might not actually see him back. Clarke is more than capable.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think we need to look at current form, not what Craig did last season when he was outstanding. I get he is playing behind a dodgy defense but he should be more decisive himself, also his reaction time to get back up to make second saves seems to be a problem as well and that looks down to tiredness. I would rest him now and let Zander have a short run as I believe we wouldn't be losing so many goals in the six yard box. 

VagabondJambo
4 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

Does anyone know if Zander Clark commands his 6 yard box and/or has decent distribution? I’m asking as I genuinely don’t know the answer. As I’m 100% confident Craig Gordon will be a better shot stopper, I’d need to be persuaded of Clark’s other attributes first before thinking about dropping him

Clark is a pretty good shot stopper! 

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

I was going to ask the same!  I suspect Clark might be no1 next season though so he needs to get some game time before then.  

Gordon is an unbelievable keeper and legend. His weakness was always kicking and crossing. They're being exacerbated right now due to our defensive frailties (none of them can head the ball and panicked backpasses to him). Until we've Halkett and/or Rowles back it would be good to have someone who can command the area and kick a ball straight. As soon as they're back, he's right back in as he's the best keeper in the league by a mile.

3 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I was just going to post the same thoughts.

Cruickshank was first and foremost an acrobat. He did the impossible things brilliantly. Great reflexes and agility. 

Gordon is even better. Our current permeability is down to the loss of Halkett and Rowles.

Agreed, like all of us at the time, I loved Cruikshank, he was an unbelievable keeper. I remember one of his best games v Celtic in the early 70’s, brilliant saves (including a gemmel penalty) earning us a 0-0 draw. Never great at cross balls or dominating the 6yd box though.

Fort Vallance
14 hours ago, Sherbet said:

He has to command the 6 yd box   but stays on his line.   Coaching ?

Suffering from the lack of dominant centre halves in front of him. He's not going to completely change his style now. We just have to get the CB's back and let him get on with shot stopping.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I’m far from Gordon out but I do think Clark needs a couple of games. 

Clark is a foghorn at the back, consistently talking to his defenders, always been his way. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Gordon shout, I compared him to the Fiorentina keeper when they visited, as the atmosphere was a bit down pretty quickly the difference in communication was night and day. 

Yeah, I like Clarke and I'd suspect he'll get some game time 

2 hours ago, Dsjambo said:

Agreed, like all of us at the time, I loved Cruikshank, he was an unbelievable keeper. I remember one of his best games v Celtic in the early 70’s, brilliant saves (including a gemmel penalty) earning us a 0-0 draw. Never great at cross balls or dominating the 6yd box though.

1970   We all remember that performance and penalty. 

Gordon's kicking is atrocious when has he ever managed a goal kick that actually reaches a Hearts man ,yes he is a great shot stopper but I would like to see Clark get a game .

Brighton Jambo

Craig Gordon is the best goalkeeper many of us have seen play for the club.  However given the number of injuries in the centre half position it would be helpful to a makeshift defence to have a goalkeeper who could come and command the area and take the pressure off.  Gordon is absolutely rooted to his line at every free kick/corner.  For me it’s not dropping him it’s a horses for courses change until the defence is back fit.

He has been at fault for a lot of goals recently, including yesterday, and maybe a wee refresh would do him good. 

Not sure you can blame CG for anything we don't already know.

He's there to stop the ball going in the net and in the main that's exactly what he does.

Our defensive frailties are nothing to do with the keeper, who ever it is between the sticks.

He can't kick the ball and has never come for crosses. We all know that.

If he loses his place for a game or two it won't be because he's being dropped, it'll be to keep Clarke interested anyway.

6 hours ago, VagabondJambo said:

Clark is a pretty good shot stopper! 

Going by this video he looks a really good shot stopper especially from close range. He's also very quick to get back up for rebounds. I would have no problem with Clarke getting a run in the team. Even till the world Cup break. 

A keeper, captain and man who has been immense since day one has arguably a slight dip in form and people start threads saying he should be dropped. 

Classy. 

4 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

A keeper, captain and man who has been immense since day one has arguably a slight dip in form and people start threads saying he should be dropped. 

Classy. 

No rested 😪 

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

Classy. 

I read it as rested.

18 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I hate this. I have nothing against Zander getting a couple of games but it feels like folk are turning on Craigy. That makes me nauseous. He's still a ****ing legend and is still Scotland #1. 

Not turning on him at all. He's been on a heavy round of fixtures, has a newborn at home, and has made a couple of mental mistakes recently that could just show he's a bit tired. Clark is a very good keeper who, despite being nowhere near Gordon's standard, is still more than good enough to give Craig a bit of a rest in a game against some of the middling Scottish teams.

Our defence is too weak at defending cross balls, either the coaching staff have to persuade Craig to come out more or we should play Clark. We are simply to easier to score against due to not having a goalkeeper who dominates his area combines with a defence that are unable to compete for high balls.

15 hours ago, Kendoll said:

But he is not a first time father. Think he has 3 other kids so has been around the block. 

Naisys Tackle

So CG gets "rested"  Clark comes in rusty as anything and blunders next week behind a made up defence in a must win game?

What then?  Months of people saying hes shite and destroys his confidence?

Sounds a plan. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

17 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Not turning on him at all. He's been on a heavy round of fixtures, has a newborn at home, and has made a couple of mental mistakes recently that could just show he's a bit tired. Clark is a very good keeper who, despite being nowhere near Gordon's standard, is still more than good enough to give Craig a bit of a rest in a game against some of the middling Scottish teams.

I agree he's not looked quite himself recently. Robbie has already said that Zander Clark will be getting a game or two in the not too distant future. They are still trying to get his fitness level up I believe.

11 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

I agree he's not looked quite himself recently. Robbie has already said that Zander Clark will be getting a game or two in the not too distant future. They are still trying to get his fitness level up I believe.

It's hard to believe at this stage of the season there's a fitness issue, has he been injured?

Edited by Hesh

11 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

So CG gets "rested"  Clark comes in rusty as anything and blunders next week behind a made up defence in a must win game?

Sounds a plan. 

Must win what?

1 minute ago, Hesh said:

It's hard to believe at this stage of the season there's a fitness issue 

He was without a club over the summer so he won't have a proper pre-season under his belt. I imagine that is the issue.

RustyRightPeg
14 minutes ago, Hesh said:

It's hard to believe at this stage of the season there's a fitness issue, has he been injured?

He hadn’t trained since may when he signed for us. Goalies are no different to outfield players when it comes to match sharpness 

6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He hadn’t trained since may when he signed for us. Goalies are no different to outfield players when it comes to match sharpness 

Pretty poor if he hadn't been doing some training when he was looking for a club

On 23/10/2022 at 09:48, jimbojambo said:

I loved Cruickie as a kid and remember his penalty saves and incredible blocks but watched highlights recently of the 1968 Cup final and kickback would have had a field day on him. As for Craig remember he played for Scotland in June and only had a week off so needs time off to recharge. 

Was Jim not concussed following a collision with man-mountain Arthur Thomson?

13 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Sounds a plan. 

So what, we sit him on the bench and not give him a game because he hasn't gotten a game? Put him in against Celtic and Rangers and make him the sacrificial lamb? Send him to Istanbul? Put him in for an early SC game?

Unless we signed him for his skills at washing the towels, he'll need to go in at some point!

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

Pretty poor if he hadn't been doing some training when he was looking for a club

Hard to replicate real players shelling shots full speed at you.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Hesh said:

That’s different from playing games, a big European game really isn’t the time to make your debut unless you have to.

Bazzas right boot
22 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Classy. 

Fair, but he's just got a new born and in my experience that Is difficult.

Clark is also a very good keeper.

He'll want and need some game time. 

I think Clark will play v RFS.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

So what, we sit him on the bench and not give him a game because he hasn't gotten a game? Put him in against Celtic and Rangers and make him the sacrificial lamb? Send him to Istanbul? Put him in for an early SC game?

Unless we signed him for his skills at washing the towels, he'll need to go in at some point!

I think he needs a few games in the under 18s maybe, then an easy (😂) home game to make his debut. Motherwell and then Livi at home might be the ideal time.