• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Documentary about the 1990 Grand Slam decider at Murrayfield has just started in BT1. 

Just finished. Excellent stuff, the passion shown from the very start is just tear jerking stuff. The defence towards the end of the game is incredible. Loved that documentary. Unfortunately, I was up in Aberdeen that day watching Hearts get papped out the Scottish Cup. Wish I'd stayed in Edinburgh.

A good win for Edinburgh against Saracens, unfortunately Edinburgh don't get a home game in the next round but a win never the less.

Malinga the Swinga
52 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

A good win for Edinburgh against Saracens, unfortunately Edinburgh don't get a home game in the next round but a win never the less.

Away to Leicester I believe. Not impossible but they need full strength team.

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Away to Leicester I believe. Not impossible but they need full strength team.

I've not seen the draw but I think it's the tigers or the bulls?

Edinburgh did play well I thought and Leicester haven't been brilliant lately so who knows. 

I P Knightley

Rufus McLean let go by Glasgow. Rightly so, in my opinion; he seems to be a nasty individual with a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Cell C Sharks given Edinburgh a hard time, Edinburgh 0 - 14 Sharks with Edinburgh being a player down and only 22 minutes in.

14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Cell C Sharks given Edinburgh a hard time, Edinburgh 0 - 14 Sharks with Edinburgh being a player down and only 22 minutes in.

Aw... Diddums.

Just now, ri Alban said:

:rofl:👍 

Are they winning? 19-14

Aye, missed the conversation but they've really got their fingers out now and looking good, bloody good game so it is.

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye, missed the conversation but they've really got their fingers out now and looking good, bloody good game so it is.

Good stuff. 

Just now, Daveandal said:

Edinburgh unlucky at the end there. Kind of the story of the season

The bloody picture was cutting out for the last fifteen minutes so I never got to see the end.

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The bloody picture was cutting out for the last fifteen minutes so I never got to see the end.

Yellow card sharks with 15 mins to go. Edinburgh battered away on their line a few times but just couldn't get over.

Ended 19-22

2 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Yellow card sharks with 15 mins to go. Edinburgh battered away on their line a few times but just couldn't get over.

Ended 19-22

It was a really good, Edinburgh unlucky. 

I'm heading down to Twickenham for the Eng v Scotland game. Yes I'll be missing Hearts v Utd and I'm aware my PHM credentials are in jeopardy.

Any recommendations for good pubs near Twickenham or just good old fashioned boozers for the Friday night you can grab a seat at the bar and have a chat. Like Sandy Bells or the Jolly Judge like places.

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

I'm heading down to Twickenham for the Eng v Scotland game. Yes I'll be missing Hearts v Utd and I'm aware my PHM credentials are in jeopardy.

Any recommendations for good pubs near Twickenham or just good old fashioned boozers for the Friday night you can grab a seat at the bar and have a chat. Like Sandy Bells or the Jolly Judge like places.

Live nearby and my pals have had me out to a few England rugby games. 

The Admiral Nelson near Whitton Station is good pre-match, usually have a bbq going and a decent atmosphere. 

Post match the Duke of Cambridge is busy, but service is pretty quick. 

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

The Admiral Nelson near Whitton Station is good pre-match, usually have a bbq going and a decent atmosphere. 

Brilliant cheers mate I'll have a look.

BBQ sounds good.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

I've never gone in the direction of Whitton after a match but terms to go with the crowds into Twicks ( The Barmy Arms) or Richmond (pubs on Richmond Green). They're usually buzzing by the problem I have with matches there is that folk disperse widely so there's not many real rugby crowd pubs. The Cabbage Patch and Albany Arms in the centre of Twickenham fill up but I find them a bit OTT.

I guess I'm just a fussy bugger. 

What's the predictions for the 6 Nations?

Difficult to call but I'll go,

France

Ireland

Wales

England 

Scotland

Italy.

I P Knightley
13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

France

Ireland

Wales

England 

Scotland

Italy.

I fear that we'll surrender the Calcutta Cup. We'll beat Wales and Italy at Murrayfield but unlikely to overpower Ireland. France away could be a good one; they've been unpredictable and unreliable for the 50+ years I've been watching international rugby. 

Speaking of which - it's now 50 years since the championship was tied between all five nations. No such thing as points difference back then, let alone bonus points. I doubt it will be that close again.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I fear that we'll surrender the Calcutta Cup. We'll beat Wales and Italy at Murrayfield but unlikely to overpower Ireland. France away could be a good one; they've been unpredictable and unreliable for the 50+ years I've been watching international rugby. 

Speaking of which - it's now 50 years since the championship was tied between all five nations. No such thing as points difference back then, let alone bonus points. I doubt it will be that close again.

The French seem to have discovered reliability at last. They’ve also got a lot of very good young players coming through their age groups teams. 

The Old Tolbooth
13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

France

Ireland

Wales

England 

Scotland

Italy.

Wales aren't that good so I'd have them second bottom, possibly bottom, with Scotland 4th in the table behind the French (winners), English, and Irish. I'd be amazed if England don't get a reaction from their new coach and they could end up winning it. Scotland are good enough to go close to winning this, but not with Townsend in charge. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
27 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Wales aren't that good so I'd have them second bottom, possibly bottom, with Scotland 4th in the table behind the French (winners), English, and Irish. I'd be amazed if England don't get a reaction from their new coach and they could end up winning it. Scotland are good enough to go close to winning this, but not with Townsend in charge. 

It’ll be a classic Townsend tournament. Should a bit of promise, lose games they should win, finish fourth or fifth 

I P Knightley
48 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The French seem to have discovered reliability at last. They’ve also got a lot of very good young players coming through their age groups teams. 

I still think they could shoot themselves in the foot but that's more based on history than a constructive analysis of their squad and training. It may not be us that beats them at home (we've had our once every generation win) but it will be fun to watch.

Thunder and Lightning

Has anyone seen The Grudge, on BT?  been trying to find it elsewhere but looks like its on the BT Website, not managed to find out when its being shown on the channel again.

2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Has anyone seen The Grudge, on BT?  been trying to find it elsewhere but looks like its on the BT Website, not managed to find out when its being shown on the channel again.

I watched it when it was on. Some nice insight from players. 

Thunder and Lightning
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I watched it when it was on. Some nice insight from players. 

Yeah, would like to see it, preferably before the weekend to stoke the fire so to speak :).

Surely it will be repeated before the game this weekend.  Plenty you tube stuff to look at i suppose but always interested to hear from the players in such games.

Scotland could win the 6 Nations...............but probably won't. Usual flatter to deceive and risk and reward rugby but will ultimately lose games we should have won. England looked distinctly average in the Autumn Tests and wasn't overly impressed with Ireland either, they got results but were mind numbingly boring. Wales don't look a threat at all, so it's there for either us or France. Could be a massive game in Paris.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’ll be a classic Townsend tournament. Should a bit of promise, lose games they should win, finish fourth or fifth 

Aye, that all sounds very "Townsend" 

Ireland Grand slam

England 4 wins 

France 3 wins v us, Wales and Italy

Scotland 2 wins v Wales and Italy

Wales 1 win v Italy

Italy 0 wins

New Town Loafer

Just wondering if anyone is going to be in Paris for the France v Scotland 6 Nations game on Sunday 26th February?

Eurostar cancelled my train so won’t be able to attend the game and was wondering if anyone would like a pair of tickets for it. £100 for the two. 

Cheers.

Thunder and Lightning

If anyone hears of two Ireland tickets becoming available please drop me a pm. 

Have tickets for the other games just not this one. 

Thanks 

I P Knightley
23 hours ago, JWL said:

Scotland could win the 6 Nations...............but probably won't. Usual flatter to deceive and risk and reward rugby but will ultimately lose games we should have won. England looked distinctly average in the Autumn Tests and wasn't overly impressed with Ireland either, they got results but were mind numbingly boring. Wales don't look a threat at all, so it's there for either us or France. Could be a massive game in Paris.

England undergoing a transition to a new coach - could go either way. We might catch them cold but they might be on fire.

I suspect you're right in the first line. We'll look like we might have beaten England and Ireland; we'll probably beat France but lose to Italy or Wales. Who'd be a Scotland supporter?

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

"Smart" ball being trialled for this year's 6N. I'm not sure what difference it'll make to viewing, although I expect we'll see some on-screen graphics from it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/64351834

I can't see any benefit from this. TMOs are pretty thorough with any dubious decision and their calls are not always to do with the ball.

Might be a useful tool for training if you wanted to analyse the kicks but, even then, I'm not certain what a kicker's going to get out of knowing that an extra 100 rpm has done this or that to the flight.

I'll be a curmudgeonly old bufty and mark it down as a gimmick for the time being.

3 minutes ago, AWM said:

I like Huw Jones a lot and it's great to see him back in the squad & team but I'm surprised he got the nod ahead of Chris Harris.

White & Russell will be interesting. White's a sharp guy and that could be quite a combination.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I can't see any benefit from this. TMOs are pretty thorough with any dubious decision and their calls are not always to do with the ball.

Might be a useful tool for training if you wanted to analyse the kicks but, even then, I'm not certain what a kicker's going to get out of knowing that an extra 100 rpm has done this or that to the flight.

I'll be a curmudgeonly old bufty and mark it down as a gimmick for the time being.

I like Huw Jones a lot and it's great to see him back in the squad & team but I'm surprised he got the nod ahead of Chris Harris.

White & Russell will be interesting. White's a sharp guy and that could be quite a combination.

Won't make much difference as Ireland will still be allowed to get away with murder, particularly the thug that is O'Mahoney, Farrell will be allowed to ref England's games and tackle illegally while AWJ and Biggar will attempt to ref the game themselves.

Hopefully Jones has learned to tackle.

Just now, Captain Sausage said:

That team has no chance against England. 15 point loss incoming. 

I'm going for Scotland by 2 or 3.