VAR ( merged )

Ex member of the SaS

Haven't read the thread but the "encroachment" decision was a howler.  Clear as day.

Only someone who is blatantly biased and "at it" could make that decision.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Wee Mikey

• Rogue Daddy

• August Landmesser

2 minutes ago, Dougie Masterton said:

The double jeopardy rule was done away with a couple of years ago. You are correct in the first part. 

**** me lol, i take it all back then. I thought that rule was still going and was the reason for no 2nd booking. Cheers Dougie.

Dougie Masterton
Just now, Boyces beard said:

**** me lol, i take it all back then. I thought that rule was still going and was the reason for no 2nd booking. Cheers Dougie.

If the tackle had been at the other end………………….

1 hour ago, Boghell51 said:

Ange, no happy wae var, probably because his side will not get away with the usual lucky decisions, the 2 uglies will start to get found out just like Boyle last night

If it's applied properly the old firm will suffer most as they get the bulk of the contentious decisions in the first place. 

Malinga the Swinga
38 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

The referee can't send the player off for the 2nd penalty because he made an attempt to play the ball and was not forceful or endangering the player. This means the double jeopardy rule comes in to play. This rule means you cant award a penalty and book the player resulting in the player being sent off and the team conceding the penalty being punished twice. Its shite that it worked against us today but its in the rules and it might work for us in the future.

Sorry but I believe you are mistaken. Double jeopardy means you can't award a straight red, if player made attempt to get ball and penalty awarded.

A yellow on the other hand can be awarded. I did check with rules and this is correct as per latest interpretation.

1 hour ago, Boghell51 said:

Ange, no happy wae var, probably because his side will not get away with the usual lucky decisions, the 2 uglies will start to get found out just like Boyle last night

I think we found out today which was the one club to vote against its coming into use in Scottish football.

The Treasurer

First weekend of VAR. 

Wee team lose and the wig gets booked for diving. 

Two penalties against sellik. 

Sevco drop points at home. 

Maybe it won't be so bad after all 

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Aye maybe but the ref still managed to miss the blatantly obvious first penalty. 

Do you think he let it go knowing var would be checking it? 

Dick Dastardly
29 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Haven't read the thread but the "encroachment" decision was a howler.  Clear as day.

Only someone who is blatantly biased and "at it" could make that decision.

What do you mean? There was encroachment from at least 2 celtic players and Ginnelly 

56 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

The referee can't send the player off for the 2nd penalty because he made an attempt to play the ball and was not forceful or endangering the player. This means the double jeopardy rule comes in to play. This rule means you cant award a penalty and book the player resulting in the player being sent off and the team conceding the penalty being punished twice. Its shite that it worked against us today but its in the rules and it might work for us in the future.

The double jeopardy rule only applies with regards to a straight red when making a genuine attempt to playvthe ball. The referee could easily have produced a yellow under the rules. 

Corstorphine Jambo

I think you saw today how the referees will potentially referee games against the old firm in a fairer manner. Though only because they are forced to.
We start off in predictable fashion when no penalty is awarded - any benefit of the doubt with Celtic. Then he has to overrule his initial decision. I’m then absolutely certain he would normally have given Celtic the handball penalty - but he now knows it will get checked. Hearts second penalty looked as clear cut as the first - lo and behold, he gives it this time. 
At the end of the day, Hearts only got what they were due. But that’s more than usual against Celtic.

15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sorry but I believe you are mistaken. Double jeopardy means you can't award a straight red, if player made attempt to get ball and penalty awarded.

A yellow on the other hand can be awarded. I did check with rules and this is correct as per latest interpretation.

yeh sorry mate, Dougie pointed out that they done away with double jeopardy two years ago lol. I thought it was still a thing but yes you are correct , it was for straight reds 👍

2 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

The double jeopardy rule only applies with regards to a straight red when making a genuine attempt to playvthe ball. The referee could easily have produced a yellow under the rules. 

yip see above ^^ 👍

Jambo diehard

Never been a fan of VAR if honest but today we seemed to do not too bad, just saw the handball against us and if it had been one of them I'd have wanted it? Other than that 2 defo pens for us that should have no debate and the retaken pen was scored so I'm happy enough, it will certainly impact the two Weedgie teams more than the others so that's a bonus as well

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Boyces beard said:

yeh sorry mate, Dougie pointed out that they done away with double jeopardy two years ago lol. I thought it was still a thing but yes you are correct , it was for straight reds 👍

No problem. Even BBC report mention that Celtic player avoided a red card. When you see what our players were carded for at Parkhead earlier this season, it highlights just how poor a decision it was.

First penalty also saw no booking, but that wasn't a shock as referee didn't even want to give it, despite it being a stonewalled.

VAR might help get decisions right but it doesn't help when refs refuse to book, and send off, players from Celtic and Rangers.

42 minutes ago, 1953 said:

If it's applied properly the old firm will suffer most as they get the bulk of the contentious decisions in the first place. 

100% without VAR we wouldn't be getting the two penalties the day that's for sure

8 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Hart off his line before ball was kicked I think. 

5 minutes ago, Chevy Chase said:

Encroachment.

If we had not put the ball in the net on the rebound would they have reviewed it and forced a retake? I like to think they would but i have serious doubts to be honest.

I’m not a fan of VAR, but can see the argument for it. In Scotland, all it will do is simply amplify how bad our referees are not improve the quality of refereeing 

2 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

If we had not put the ball in the net on the rebound would they have reviewed it and forced a retake? I like to think they would but i have serious doubts to be honest.

It’s a good thing there was encroachment as Ginnely was offside when he put the ball in the net.

VAR worked in our favour in this instance 

5 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

100% without VAR we wouldn't be getting the two penalties the day that's for sure

The time it took to award the first….

Clear as day. I’d had a look at it on my phone inside the stadium about 3 mins before it was eventually awarded.

That little rat wasn’t for giving it in real time that’s for sure.

Still can’t believe it took 2 full minutes to get the ref to the tv monitor for the penalty, hopefully as time goes on things will slicken up.

I also assumed we would be shown the images on the big screens?

1 minute ago, Chevy Chase said:

Clear as day. I’d had a look at it on my phone inside the stadium about 3 mins before it was eventually awarded.

That was joke, they are going to get found out now the refs

6 minutes ago, Chevy Chase said:

It’s a good thing there was encroachment as Ginnely was offside when he put the ball in the net.

Was he? I was at the game so have not seen it back on tv but it looked to me like he was behind the ball when Shankland took the shot after the rebound.

Brauhauser2012
7 minutes ago, Chevy Chase said:

Exactly buddy.

If someone wasn't in his earpiece telling him he'd coched it up and needed to watch it again they would have got away with it. 

3 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Was he? I was at the game so have not seen it back on tv but it looked to me like he was behind the ball when Shankland took the shot after the rebound.

Was sat in the Gorgie and thought he was at the time. Got a couple of texts saying he was as well. Apologies if incorrect.

August Landmesser
3 hours ago, mellors1874 said:

VAR

Very Angry Republicans.

Yep. I'm a republican and I ****in' hate VAR.

1 hour ago, Boyces beard said:

Think the poster meant that at the second pen it should have been a yellow for the challenge.  Usually is these days when a pen is conceded by a foul. It would have been their number 6’s second yellow so he should have been sent off. 

3 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

What would have happened if when he let the penalty for us play on if Celtic went up the pitch and scored?

Their goal would be disallowed 

August Landmesser

Haven't read the whole thread, but in a nutshell, my experience of today, sitting in the main stand, was that we scored three goals against Celtic, every single goal meant something (because it was an equaliser or taking the lead), but I could not celebrate those goals as they happened because I was waiting for somebody in a wee room in Glasgow to approve it.

Yeah, we got a penalty out of it, but so what? Look at what we've lost, instantly.

**** VAR.

9 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Game changer for Scottish Football. It will (hopefully) eliminate the bias that the OF has enjoyed for decades. 

When was the last time we got 2 pens against Celtic 

i think it will be good for Scottish football 

tells a story when old firm manager is moaning about it already 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Do you think he let it go knowing var would be checking it? 

That’s a potential issue with var up here. Radio Scotland guys said the same thing after the game. Refs can now just let tough calls go and wait to see if var pulls it back.  Not really the way it’s supposed to work but who knows what they have been told to do. 

VAR proving how many pens we should have had against the Tics over the years. 

1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

Haven't read the whole thread, but in a nutshell, my experience of today, sitting in the main stand, was that we scored three goals against Celtic, every single goal meant something (because it was an equaliser or taking the lead), but I could not celebrate those goals as they happened because I was waiting for somebody in a wee room in Glasgow to approve it.

Yeah, we got a penalty out of it, but so what? Look at what we've lost, instantly.

**** VAR.

You prob wouldn’t have got the pens without VAR 

2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

**** VAR.

Also I personally thought the delay added to the tension

Been a good day for the Mhanks, they win the game and still get to play the victims because of VAR decisions goings against them. They don't like it.

On 15/10/2022 at 12:46, Pasquale for King said:

For those that haven’t had a laugh at this yet, been on an island without WiFi maybe. From their official page. 

250D0DDA-0187-4098-BBE4-6BD84436A085.jpeg

First club in Scotland to have a yellow card for cheating confirmed too.

26 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

No he wasn’t, he was behind the ball by the time shankland hit the rebound. The retake was for encroachment 

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

**** VAR.

Agreed VAR is ****ing horrible at the game

Btw just checked back and it was over 5 minutes between the award of the Devlin penalty and Celtic taking their kick off. That's a huge chunk out of a 45 minute half of football.

44 minutes ago, Chevy Chase said:

No he wasn’t, he was behind Shankland when Shankland poked the rebound forward 

37 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

👏👏

13 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

When was the last time we got 2 pens against Celtic 

i think it will be good for Scottish football 

tells a story when old firm manager is moaning about it already 

Expect the phone will be ringing hot at the SFA this Monday if not this evening.

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

No he wasn’t, he was behind Shankland when Shankland poked the rebound forward 

Fair enough. Haven’t seen a replay.

• davemclaren changed the title to VAR ( merged )