Realistically Speaking

Bauld

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

So a manager like Lennon, who managed the shite falls into that category?  

I would gladly have a manager that good others want him or gets interest.  It shows the job he would be doing.  Robbie?  No interest at all and dropped his pants to MK Dons.  Why do you think that our best manager in modern history (cookoo) isnt wanted by any bigger clubs like ever?

How do you know? I'm not saying there has been but after last season and the job he did getting third and getting to the cup final. How do you know he wasn't shortlisted for a few jobs? 

He's a Hearts man. He wants what's best for our club because it's his club. He would be proud and would pass up many an opportunity to take us into Europe and to keep trying to build on the success here.

Lennon? He got the Celtic job because he's lennon and he got the Hibs jobs because they'll take every Celtic cast off going and he is a perfect fit for a club like Hibs.

I'd rather we had Cathro back than someone like Lennon. 

Fozzyonthefence
58 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:

Spot on, Would people really be happier if another Romanov type came along ploughed in cash and won the SPL?

It would all be completely superficial

I feel sorry for the genuine Man City/and PSG fans who can't stand where they are and just want to go back to a regular crappy club

Never sell your soul 

Not sure if you’re genuinely being serious or not but maybe ask Man City fans if they’re enjoying currently being the best team in the world or if they’d prefer going back to playing in the English 3rd tier. 🤔

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Bauld said:

How do you know? I'm not saying there has been but after last season and the job he did getting third and getting to the cup final. How do you know he wasn't shortlisted for a few jobs? 

He manages the 3rd biggest club in Scotland and has zero chance of getting the Rangers or Celtic job so where would he go?  Maybe a Kilmarnock type job after he eventually gets sacked but he’s not going to leave Hearts voluntarily to take another Scottish job.  Completely failed in League 1 in England so probably no chance of another gig down there.

Hearts is the biggest job Robbie will ever have. 

Naisys Tackle
14 minutes ago, Bauld said:

He's a Hearts man. He wants what's best for our club because it's his club. He would be proud and would pass up many an opportunity to take us into Europe and to keep trying to build on the success here.

Lennon? He got the Celtic job because he's lennon and he got the Hibs jobs because they'll take every Celtic cast off going and he is a perfect fit for a club like Hibs.

I'd rather we had Cathro back than someone like Lennon. 

Because hes not been linked, approached or interviewed by any team.  Nobody cares about taking a team to the Cup final mate.  Fenlon took Hibs to 2.  Was he looking at getting headhunted?  Jack Ross took them to 3 in a year and got 3rd.  He got the sack. 

He's a Hearts man that walked out for MK Dons instead of trying to build before?  He would leave given the chance down south because most managers are ambitious.  Hes not here because he loves Hearts.  Hes here because we pay more than Dundee Utd and he got a team relegated to the 4th tier of the English game.   Lets not start pretending we are lucky to have Robbie Neilson.  Hes extremely lucky to be back at our club having walked out and not being sacked after Broara. 

Yes Lennon, Lennon whos team lost a last minute goal to Manchester Utd to lose tonight in the Competition we have already been knocked out from while we are getting ripped again on the same night.   Lennon obviously can take a side and make a game of it against much bigger sides.   Done same with Celtic and Hibs.   Knocks out the water your argument of not being able to attract a manager who can do so doesnt it? 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He manages the 3rd biggest club in Scotland and has zero chance of getting the Rangers or Celtic job so where would he go?  Maybe a Kilmarnock type job after he eventually gets sacked but he’s not going to leave Hearts voluntarily to take another Scottish job.  Completely failed in League 1 in England so probably no chance of another gig down there.

Hearts is the biggest job Robbie will ever have. 

And he knows it.  

We take the European money from this season and run with it. Then, we get third again, get humped out of Europe and take the money and run again next year. Then we get 3rd again the year after, probably get humped out if Europe, but we take the money and run with it. With incremental improvements in between each season. A sustained run of that, could maybe, MAYBE, see up compete in groups like we have this year.

Anything else is a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Ignoring our manager and current squad, it's injury problems etc. 

Robbie is good enough to get us third place. The squads good enough, if everyone is fit or, at least the vast majority are anyway. We all know that. Even with all the problems we have we are 3 points off 3rd spot just now and the league seasons barely started. 

But where are we supposed to find this other level from? First thing is obviously money. Celtic and Rangers can pay 10-25k a week to players. Pocket change compared to other leagues. How do we reach that level? How do we attract a player of that quality, how do we build a squad of that quality?

Where do we get the money to throw down 2-3 million on a player and then pay his fees, wages etc? 

The teams we are playing are heavily invested. The teams across Europe are heavily invested in. Its a big boys playground. You look at other countries and think diddy nation like Cyprus and then you see their teams have players in them like ****ing Kokorin on loan from Fiorentina!

We are a fan run club. Living tightly within its means. In a league that earns buttons. Scraping the free transfer market and bargain bins for players that'll accept 2k a week.

If you can tell me where we find these next levels from. I'm all ears because I'm looking at the whole infrastructure and what we are up against. I see nothing more for us beyond where we are at for at least another 7-10 years. Until then we will be 3rd in Scotland and in Europe we'll be making up the numbers like RFS and others are and just taking the cash for our troubles. 

We may as well just get behind the team and manager and enjoy the ride. Highs and lows. HHGH

This

Dirkdiggler77
11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not sure if you’re genuinely being serious or not but maybe ask Man City fans if they’re enjoying currently being the best team in the world or if they’d prefer going back to playing in the English 3rd tier. 🤔

Were they in the third tier at the time of the takeover? i thought they were mid table in the prem.

I am deadly serious maybe the Aguero moment was fantastic at the time but it must be quite boring now just watching

5-0 every week and every other supporter calling you a plastic club

56 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

To respond to the OP, to me any squad is necessarily the accumulation of the contract and transfer work of the last three years, primarily. While 2019/20 was an utterly dismal season in all respects, we did sign a few mainstays then. We also have a few long term holdovers like Haring and Smith. But for the most part, our squad is now based off of two windows signing players for the Championship one window as a newly promoted team, one window as a team in third, and one window headed to Europe, with a bit of European cash to spend.

The way we progress is by having a run of windows where we're in the top four and paying with a European credit card. If we somehow manage that for three seasons running, I expect us to be in a much stronger place than we are now.

Must be the U.S. point of view where "If you don't make any money for the club, why are you here?" is the philosophy.

It looks to me too that we're on a learning curve in a tough market. 

Dirkdiggler77

Treading water is better than spending money you don't really have, especially if the person spending it is incompetent. 

I think you wait/hope for a dynamic manager to come along and once he has shown promise then bet the house on him and hope it pays off. There does come a point at any club with ambitious fans to take a swing but it would be suicidal to give Robbie an open cheque book.

An example at the very top is obviously Klopp, LFC were tight for years even employing Woy Hodgeson at one point but when Klopp came in they had to match his ambition 

Hearts are obviously in a different Universe but the principle is the same, a young hotshot Graham Potter or Thomas Frank type is out there somewhere but it would require a gamble from the Club, if not then this is exactly where Hearts belong and are doing exactly as expected no dramas

I must admit at the start of the Budge era the “model” discussed seemed like a no brainer

Players from academy to first team playing same system. Managers being produced “in house” etc 

Its just not happened and, IMO at the moment there’s a bit of a disconnect between the “club”and fans.

Fans will always support the team, as they did tonight but something isn’t quite right just now

Dirkdiggler77

How about this as an outside chance.

Rangers financially implode again not on the same scale as before but their squad is good but not great and they spent a lot during Gerrard's time to stop the 10 in a row, most of that squad has little sell on value

What if they fall off the pace for a season and leave the door open for someone to sneak into second place? Champions League cash for 1 season and then we are up and running

It's a hope

Jambo in Bathgate
3 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Biggest problem and it has been for decades we don't produce good enough home grown talent in Scotland and the odd ones we do now are pretty much zipped off down to England before they even reach the pro stage now.Not just a Hearts problem though it's Scotland on a whole.

The problem is that we are close to a really big league that makes mega bucks. Young players with talent and promise are hovered up by the money on offer, even for a 16 year old. One of our youngsters left for Aston Villa I believe. Look at Hickey too. 

Naisys Tackle
13 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:

Rangers financially implode again not on the same scale as before but their squad is good but not great and they spent a lot during Gerrard's time to stop the 10 in a row, most of that squad has little sell on value

What if they fall off the pace for a season and leave the door open for someone to sneak into second place? Champions League cash for 1 season and then we are up and running

It's a hope

We would need Rangers to be horrific and us be brilliant.  Then we would have to beat two teams better than any team we have in Europe this season to make the Group Stages.  Near enough impossible.  

Jambo in Bathgate
2 hours ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:

Were they in the third tier at the time of the takeover? i thought they were mid table in the prem.

I am deadly serious maybe the Aguero moment was fantastic at the time but it must be quite boring now just watching

5-0 every week and every other supporter calling you a plastic club

We have that with Rangers and Celtic but for different reasons. 

27 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:

It's a hope

What a strange post

Dirkdiggler77
6 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

What a strange post

Just chatting shit you don't need to take it so literally 

It's actually not that far fetched if you put some thought in

Naisys Tackle
19 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:

Sure I just pointed out why it is tbh.

Dirkdiggler77
16 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Sure I just pointed out why it is tbh.

I said outside chance not impossible 

If getting 3rd most years becomes the norm as it should then you wouldn't need to play brilliant the things hinges on them dropping well below which isn't unfathomable.

In regards to the Champions League qualifiers if the Draw is a Benfica/Ajax type then forget it but it co8uld be  a Coppenhagen or Dinamo Zagreb who would be gettable

I would assume if Champ League qualification ever became a real prospect then the hand would go in the pocket

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Dirkdiggler77 said:

I said outside chance not impossible 

If getting 3rd most years becomes the norm as it should then you wouldn't need to play brilliant the things hinges on them dropping well below which isn't unfathomable.

In regards to the Champions League qualifiers if the Draw is a Benfica/Ajax type then forget it but it co8uld be  a Coppenhagen or Dinamo Zagreb who would be gettable

I would assume if Champ League qualification ever became a real prospect then the hand would go in the pocket

Theres more chance of Ayr Utd getting promoted and finishing 3rd than us finishing 2nd and then winning two games to make the Champions League.   Copenhagen just drew with Man City ffs Zagreb beat Chelsea.  

Hand would go in whos pocket?  We are fan owned now so theres nobody going to ever gamble to make the Champions League.   Under Romanov was the closest we will ever come. 

4 hours ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:

Spot on, Would people really be happier if another Romanov type came along ploughed in cash and won the SPL?

It would all be completely superficial

I feel sorry for the genuine Man City/and PSG fans who can't stand where they are and just want to go back to a regular crappy club

Never sell your soul 

4 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Yes.  Under Romanov before it went shit was much better than it's ever been under Budge/Fan owned (in name only). 

Nicosia just lost a last min goal to lose at Old Trafford.  Whats the difference of the players for both thems?  I

'm pretty certain in terms of wages and transfer fees MUCH more of a financial gulf in that game than there is between us and Fiorentina/Istanbul and even the Old Firm. 

This to me is the biggest chasm that divides Hearts fans, and probably explains the division over Neilson. Would I take back Vlad and his artificially inflated budget as he used the club as macguffin in his financial leveraging schemes, in return for two cups and a bit of style? Would I ****. Maybe it wouldn't be another brush with liquidation as we had, but it would be another hard landing, I am sure, and it might take Tynecastle with it this time.

Vlad famously insisted the wage bill be £10m for the first 5 years or so of his reign. In today's pounds that would be £15m. Most of it flushed down the toilet as the chaos at the club and the lack of investment in the absolute most basic office and bookkeeping necessities went wanting. For that we scraped past Gretna to get one cup and had an unimaginably enjoyable day at the expense of a wretched Hibs team (and a better win over a very good Lennon Celtic team). But what else? A runner up and three third place finishes. We couldn't even manage a decent unbeaten run against Hibs during that period.

Our total wage bill, in inflation adjusted pounds, is now probably half of what Vlad routinely spent to muddle 6th and 8th place finishes with overpaid and underperforming players set out by managers with the Sword of Damocles perpetually hanging over their heads and an owner who fancied himself a footballing genius constantly interfering.

We can't splash the cash like we used to, but so what? Compare the current progress of slowly building success upon success and stewarding financial resources carefully so we never end up in that mess again—I am far, far happier with the current state of affairs than the club being a dandle toy for a bored banker. We're the largest fan-owned club in Britain, we've now beaten Hibs another two times at Hampden and have a lovely unbeaten streak going against them. Tynecastle is sparkling instead of falling apart into mismatching shades of pink seats. If we manage two consecutive top-three finishes, it will be something Vlad even in his best days never managed.

I see and respect that other Hearts fans would trade that to go back on the parade of demotivated mercenaries and managers wondering what the next fax from Lithuania would bring, but I find that option abhorrent.  Maybe we take an ugly 5-1 off a big club in Europe, but we're progressing every year.

Naisys Tackle

I didn't say I would want to go back to it as a whole.  Because in hindsight I wouldn't.

Before that, buying the club, saving the sale of the ground, second place, pumping everyone with a team of belief structure and no fear and a Scottish Cup, Champions League then of course I would because its better and more successful than anything since.  Then there's the second Scottish Cup and zero relegations too. 

Right now theres sod all excitement.  Just worry mongers that are terrified Ann Budge leaves so the external investment stops and Robbie is gone in case the board and Budge, who they are scared will leave because of investments makes 3 incredibly shit appointments again leading to the Championship.

Dirkdiggler77
11 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

This to me is the biggest chasm that divides Hearts fans, and probably explains the division over Neilson. Would I take back Vlad and his artificially inflated budget as he used the club as macguffin in his financial leveraging schemes, in return for two cups and a bit of style? Would I ****. Maybe it wouldn't be another brush with liquidation as we had, but it would be another hard landing, I am sure, and it might take Tynecastle with it this time.

Vlad famously insisted the wage bill be £10m for the first 5 years or so of his reign. In today's pounds that would be £15m. Most of it flushed down the toilet as the chaos at the club and the lack of investment in the absolute most basic office and bookkeeping necessities went wanting. For that we scraped past Gretna to get one cup and had an unimaginably enjoyable day at the expense of a wretched Hibs team (and a better win over a very good Lennon Celtic team). But what else? A runner up and three third place finishes. We couldn't even manage a decent unbeaten run against Hibs during that period.

Our total wage bill, in inflation adjusted pounds, is now probably half of what Vlad routinely spent to muddle 6th and 8th place finishes with overpaid and underperforming players set out by managers with the Sword of Damocles perpetually hanging over their heads and an owner who fancied himself a footballing genius constantly interfering.

We can't splash the cash like we used to, but so what? Compare the current progress of slowly building success upon success and stewarding financial resources carefully so we never end up in that mess again—I am far, far happier with the current state of affairs than the club being a dandle toy for a bored banker. We're the largest fan-owned club in Britain, we've now beaten Hibs another two times at Hampden and have a lovely unbeaten streak going against them. Tynecastle is sparkling instead of falling apart into mismatching shades of pink seats. If we manage two consecutive top-three finishes, it will be something Vlad even in his best days never managed.

I see and respect that other Hearts fans would trade that to go back on the parade of demotivated mercenaries and managers wondering what the next fax from Lithuania would bring, but I find that option abhorrent.  Maybe we take an ugly 5-1 off a big club in Europe, but we're progressing every year.

Thats another important thing to factor in as well, the Mercenaries.

Nobody really wants to go Hearts do they or the SPL for that matter and throwing money around attracts the worst type.

4 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Yet it's still completely obvious that the strongest players we have are all from the former group.  We need to be careful and bring in players to hit the ground running and improve the first team - the majority of the summer players simply do not do that sadly and it shows.   Since January the only new players that have came to the club and have shown to improve the first team have been Simms, Rowles and Shankland/Humpreys (are they better additions than Simms?  for me no).  Rowles so far hasn't shown to be an upgrade on Souttar, you can claim JS's injuries but  Rowles has been injured too.  Forrest, Grant, Kio nothing yet to show they improve the first team. Neilson hopefully eventually, Snoddy probably will but will he stay fit?  

The Summer signings last year you could see right away there was direct upgrade in positions even the same the year before.  Something has went really wrong this summer while shouting quality over quantity when ironically this was the first major window thats not happened for whatever reason.   We look to have invested in a midfield full of squad fillers and neglected the CH position. 

Apologies for the double reply here...

I guess I can't agree with this assessment. From last summer's transfer window, Beni was an obvious hit from the start, McKay showed his quality early, but Devlin divided opinion at the time.  Folk were constantly wanting Cochrane to switch with Kingsley because Cochrane was seen as disappearing too often, and Stewart never seemed like a steady hand. And then there was Woodburn and Moore . . .

We were never going to upgrade on a healthy Souttar which is why we did everything we reasonably could to keep him, but Rowles is as close to like-for-like as I can imagine us getting. Shankland has already lapped Simms on total goals and while he doesn't bring the same athleticism, I think he adds more to the team. (Oh, if that lob had only dropped a foot closer today.) Humphrys is a major upgrade on Gnando, Clark much better than Stewart. Atkinson was our best player on the pitch last Sunday by a mile. Forrest strolled it against Zurich and has had other good outings amid a mixed return to start, not unlike Devlin last season, and Kio was a big part of us stabilizing our shape today despite some lackluster outings lately. Grant I'm unconvinced by but he's hardly worse than Woodburn, and Neilson is a far cry better than Moore so far. Snoddy is just gravy at this point for me, anything he adds is a bonus.

I feel the need to repeat that Halkett, a player universally praised and missed now, was widely seen as a failed signing in his first months with the club. Souttar was talented but gangly and streaky when he started. We missed out on the "home run" signing (sorry for the American metaphor) but to me it's one of those windows that will get better with time.

1 hour ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:

Nah it was a daft post.

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Apologies for the double reply here...

I guess I can't agree with this assessment. From last summer's transfer window, Beni was an obvious hit from the start, McKay showed his quality early, but Devlin divided opinion at the time.  Folk were constantly wanting Cochrane to switch with Kingsley because Cochrane was seen as disappearing too often, and Stewart never seemed like a steady hand. And then there was Woodburn and Moore . . .

We were never going to upgrade on a healthy Souttar which is why we did everything we reasonably could to keep him, but Rowles is as close to like-for-like as I can imagine us getting. Shankland has already lapped Simms on total goals and while he doesn't bring the same athleticism, I think he adds more to the team. (Oh, if that lob had only dropped a foot closer today.) Humphrys is a major upgrade on Gnando, Clark much better than Stewart. Atkinson was our best player on the pitch last Sunday by a mile. Forrest strolled it against Zurich and has had other good outings amid a mixed return to start, not unlike Devlin last season, and Kio was a big part of us stabilizing our shape today despite some lackluster outings lately. Grant I'm unconvinced by but he's hardly worse than Woodburn, and Neilson is a far cry better than Moore so far. Snoddy is just gravy at this point for me, anything he adds is a bonus.

I feel the need to repeat that Halkett, a player universally praised and missed now, was widely seen as a failed signing in his first months with the club. Souttar was talented but gangly and streaky when he started. We missed out on the "home run" signing (sorry for the American metaphor) but to me it's one of those windows that will get better with time.

Last summer because of Beni and McKay, both upgrades on what we had at the time it was better than this season with the prospect of no signings better than what we have.

You are clutching at one or two games.  Humphrys wouldnt have gotten in our team last season neither would Forrest full strength.  Atkinson neither.   They could be better squad fillers than the previous poor ones but nothing more.

Halkett was brilliant before he came and although some said he wasnt good enough there was nothing to say he was going to be anything but a mainstay in our defence. 

I get the homer signing.  Love the Football its why am up watching the worst game I've ever watched :lol: 

Robbie is a great manager and though not ideal, Is still learning.

We need to ensure our priority is finishing third and giving us these experiences in Europe ♥️

We’ve already earned from Europe roughly what a Celtic did for winning the league last season, but we need to invest in the team. Signing quality over quantity is good but brutally backfires when the quantities get injured. 

Dirkdiggler77
34 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Nah it was a daft post.

You might be right but i have committed to it now so i have to go down with the ship

Naisys Tackle
15 minutes ago, D4nny_ said:

Robbie is a great manager and though not ideal, Is still learning.

We need to ensure our priority is finishing third and giving us these experiences in Europe ♥️

We’ve already earned from Europe roughly what a Celtic did for winning the league last season, but we need to invest in the team. Signing quality over quantity is good but brutally backfires when the quantities get injured. 

What makes him great and in comparison to who?

11 hours ago, Bauld said:

Ignoring our manager and current squad, it's injury problems etc. 

Robbie is good enough to get us third place. The squads good enough, if everyone is fit or, at least the vast majority are anyway. We all know that. Even with all the problems we have we are 3 points off 3rd spot just now and the league seasons barely started. 

But where are we supposed to find this other level from? First thing is obviously money. Celtic and Rangers can pay 10-25k a week to players. Pocket change compared to other leagues. How do we reach that level? How do we attract a player of that quality, how do we build a squad of that quality?

Where do we get the money to throw down 2-3 million on a player and then pay his fees, wages etc? 

The teams we are playing are heavily invested. The teams across Europe are heavily invested in. Its a big boys playground. You look at other countries and think diddy nation like Cyprus and then you see their teams have players in them like ****ing Kokorin on loan from Fiorentina!

We are a fan run club. Living tightly within its means. In a league that earns buttons. Scraping the free transfer market and bargain bins for players that'll accept 2k a week.

If you can tell me where we find these next levels from. I'm all ears because I'm looking at the whole infrastructure and what we are up against. I see nothing more for us beyond where we are at for at least another 7-10 years. Until then we will be 3rd in Scotland and in Europe we'll be making up the numbers like RFS and others are and just taking the cash for our troubles. 

We may as well just get behind the team and manager and enjoy the ride. Highs and lows. HHGH

Brilliant post and bang on

The way we grow is to continue to do exactly what we’ve been doing.  Growing the clubs commercial income and qualifying for the group stages of European football.  

We’ll make upwards of £7m from our involvement in Europe this season, that money will be reinvested into the squad and infrastructure to improve both the team and commercial income.

The hard bit is ensuring we do that consistently, it would take three of four seasons of group stage football to allow us to be truly competitive at that level.

When the draw was made for the group stages, realistically we were only ever going to achieve third in the group.  There was a slight chance that we could maybe get one surprise result, but our defensive injuries put pay to that small chance.

My main point being that, the only way we can fund and attract better players is to qualify for Europe each season, and every year we qualify should make qualifying the next year slightly easier.

I do feel that we have a squad of players who are capable of getting third this season and doing well in the Scottish cup, but we won’t be at our best until after the World Cup break.  I think we’ll be a very strong team in the second half of the season, and there’s a good chance we’ll invest in a couple of players in January.

I still feel we are going in the right direction.  If we remain in the race until after the World Cup, we’ll kick on and there will be more good times ahead.

6 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

What makes him great and in comparison to who?

Take every manager we've ever had. 

If they've never finished 3rd. Robbie is ahead of them.

Never got us to a cup final. Robbie is ahead of them.

If they have finished 3rd and got us to a cup final. Robbie is on par with them.

If they've won the league or a cup with Hearts they are ahead of Robbie. 

I'd say that puts him ahead of most. 

awadooningorgie2
18 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

The way we grow is to continue to do exactly what we’ve been doing.  Growing the clubs commercial income and qualifying for the group stages of European football.  

We’ll make upwards of £7m from our involvement in Europe this season, that money will be reinvested into the squad and infrastructure to improve both the team and commercial income.

The hard bit is ensuring we do that consistently, it would take three of four seasons of group stage football to allow us to be truly competitive at that level.

When the draw was made for the group stages, realistically we were only ever going to achieve third in the group.  There was a slight chance that we could maybe get one surprise result, but our defensive injuries put pay to that small chance.

My main point being that, the only way we can fund and attract better players is to qualify for Europe each season, and every year we qualify should make qualifying the next year slightly easier.

I do feel that we have a squad of players who are capable of getting third this season and doing well in the Scottish cup, but we won’t be at our best until after the World Cup break.  I think we’ll be a very strong team in the second half of the season, and there’s a good chance we’ll invest in a couple of players in January.

I still feel we are going in the right direction.  If we remain in the race until after the World Cup, we’ll kick on and there will be more good times ahead.

Well said , also some of the more measured comments by Bauld and Led Tasso.

What Hearts are , hopefully, doing now is sharpening up on all fronts without taking risks.

There are various revenue streams which the club has to work on which I think will all be pretty much at record levels this season:

League Prize Money

Cup Prize Money

Attendance income

European money

Hospitality

Sponsorship

Foundation of Hearts

Benefactors

Other commercial activities

Where we are not yet hitting the mark:

Developing good young players

Buying and selling players (check the average age of most players we are signing and you can see a strategy).

Turnover this year will exceed £20 million.

From a business perspective you can see a strong strategy - having someone like James Anderson on the Board has to bring strategic benefits.

Easy come easy go is an old saying but very true. Hopefully solid foundations can provide a constant marginal improvement which gets us nearer to the Old Firm once in a blue moon...

Someone touched on the danger of getting journeymen who don;t really care if you just throw money at players - this is a problem the Old Firm can encounter and we seem to have a really good team spirit. Robbie never stops talking about the money the fans put into the club and I like the fact the players should be grounded...

Anyway, ever hopeful there will be bumps along the road but fingers crossed five years from now we will be punching that bit higher.

10 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Last summer because of Beni and McKay, both upgrades on what we had at the time it was better than this season with the prospect of no signings better than what we have.

You are clutching at one or two games.  Humphrys wouldnt have gotten in our team last season neither would Forrest full strength.  Atkinson neither.   They could be better squad fillers than the previous poor ones but nothing more.

Halkett was brilliant before he came and although some said he wasnt good enough there was nothing to say he was going to be anything but a mainstay in our defence. 

I get the homer signing.  Love the Football its why am up watching the worst game I've ever watched :lol: 

Sorry, but GMS, Woodburn, and Gino were regular features in our squad and Forrest is easily un upgrade on each of them as a classic winger. Atkinson could have gotten into our team last season on the evidence that he was actually in the team and got 20 appearances with 17 starts. As for Humphrys, yes I’m clutching at a couple of games given that’s all he’s played, but are you seriously saying he’d be stuck behind Gnando last fall?

thecarnbeejambo

we know pefectly well the financial constraints we are under however what we lack in talent we should be making up for with effort and energy and get in the oppositions faces instead of letting them ( fiorentina ) pass it around like they were at the training ground. the second half was an improvement... not sure how much that was down to them easing off.. when we dobbied selic a few years back we chased and harried them all over the park..if we see that type of effort week in week out we can at least hold our head up knowing we havnt surrendered without a fight.. HHGH

On 14/10/2022 at 03:21, Dirkdiggler77 said:

You might be right but i have committed to it now so i have to go down with the ship

Just seen this. That's a funny reply to be fair. 

On 14/10/2022 at 10:15, awadooningorgie2 said:

Well said , also some of the more measured comments by Bauld and Led Tasso.

What Hearts are , hopefully, doing now is sharpening up on all fronts without taking risks.

There are various revenue streams which the club has to work on which I think will all be pretty much at record levels this season:

League Prize Money

Cup Prize Money

Attendance income

European money

Hospitality

Sponsorship

Foundation of Hearts

Benefactors

Other commercial activities

Where we are not yet hitting the mark:

Developing good young players

Buying and selling players (check the average age of most players we are signing and you can see a strategy).

Turnover this year will exceed £20 million.

From a business perspective you can see a strong strategy - having someone like James Anderson on the Board has to bring strategic benefits.

Easy come easy go is an old saying but very true. Hopefully solid foundations can provide a constant marginal improvement which gets us nearer to the Old Firm once in a blue moon...

Someone touched on the danger of getting journeymen who don;t really care if you just throw money at players - this is a problem the Old Firm can encounter and we seem to have a really good team spirit. Robbie never stops talking about the money the fans put into the club and I like the fact the players should be grounded...

Anyway, ever hopeful there will be bumps along the road but fingers crossed five years from now we will be punching that bit higher.

Good post.  To be a Hearts fan,  being "ever hopeful" is second nature. 😉

A few folk have (not surprisingly) started knocking Robbie on this thread  as not being good enough to build & coach a squad that can keep improving.      Time will tell.   The most recent example of how a squad's mentality and confidence  can be transformed in a very short timeframe was Steve Clarke's 18 months at Killie.  He only signed a couple of experienced players he'd had at clubs down south, but the whole squad responded positively and performed way above normal.     Contrast that with their slump after he left, culminating in relegation.

If/when Robbie leaves, thats the sort of impact we need any new manager to make - playing with no fear, going in against the OF confident of winning,  basically getting much more out of the existing squad.  The whole recruitment process of finding a guy capable of achieving that has to well thought out.   

If we're going to splash seriously big money  on the football side of the club,  a proven successful management team  is where it should go  (imo)

On 13/10/2022 at 23:00, Sow Easy said:

We take the European money from this season and run with it. Then, we get third again, get humped out of Europe and take the money and run again next year. Then we get 3rd again the year after, probably get humped out if Europe, but we take the money and run with it. With incremental improvements in between each season. A sustained run of that, could maybe, MAYBE, see up compete in groups like we have this year.

Anything else is a pipe dream.

Agree totally. Small steps, small improvements each year. Injuries have ****ed us, an inability to sign an experienced RCB has left us short. How can we judge the likes of Kio, Grant, Humphreys, Forrest, Shankland this early in our league campaign? It's hardly comparing like for like, when these new players have been up against some quality European teams. Would Simms have led the line to victory against Fiorentina home or away? I think not!  Some fans on here need to get a grip. 

Praising the Vlad years....... that nearly killed our club off. 

Bringing up Lennon or similar as a potential manager. Seriously! 

That first half against Zurich we were magnificent, best I've seen a Hearts team play for years. With a full, fit squad I expect more of that. I think we will cruise to 3rd. More money from Europe next season, another step forward. 

awadooningorgie2
8 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Agree totally. Small steps, small improvements each year. Injuries have ****ed us, an inability to sign an experienced RCB has left us short. How can we judge the likes of Kio, Grant, Humphreys, Forrest, Shankland this early in our league campaign? It's hardly comparing like for like, when these new players have been up against some quality European teams. Would Simms have led the line to victory against Fiorentina home or away? I think not!  Some fans on here need to get a grip. 

Praising the Vlad years....... that nearly killed our club off. 

Bringing up Lennon or similar as a potential manager. Seriously! 

That first half against Zurich we were magnificent, best I've seen a Hearts team play for years. With a full, fit squad I expect more of that. I think we will cruise to 3rd. More money from Europe next season, another step forward. 

We also started well in Zurich until Halkett broke down.

With our resources, just one or two key injuries can prove difficult to carry. As has been mentioned the spine of the team has been decimated - for all Boyce gets criticised he was very good at taking the ball in and cleverly linking play. Snodgrass coming in has been largely unheralded and I hope we will start to see a bigger impact from him.

Losing 5 or 6 first team starters makes the other players look worse as the team has less time on the ball, less options to pass to - the crowd are on players backs rather than roaring them on. All about momentum, hopefully the second half in Florence and fight back against Killie is the start of us digging in. 3 points today would be massive.