Best place to live in Scotland......

Section Q

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Birnam

I could be bias though

image.jpeg.ac637b4cca1054012e894109e96ab906.jpeg

I'd love to live up that way.

Probably a bit rural for the Mrs at the moment, and she wouldn't want to move too far away from her family.

Got 8 years until the kids start high school, so I've got time to work on her, although I think it would be a great place for the wee ones to grow up.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• il Duce McTarkin

• FWJ

• the posh bit

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I'd love to live up that way.

Probably a bit rural for the Mrs at the moment, and she wouldn't want to move too far away from her family.

Got 8 years until the kids start high school, so I've got time to work on her, although I think it would be a great place for the wee ones to grow up.

Yes, great place. My daughter went to breadalbane (aberfeldy) for the last two years - decent school.

Excellent quality of life here and very 'green'

I get my eggs delivered every fortnight from the local organic farm (36 for £7.50) and they are going to be doing organic beef soon. Logs from the local sawmill, fish van comes into my drive every week, there is  an organic community vegetable growing project (£1 per bag of vegetables every Saturday in the town square) and  a community orchard, bookshop, arts centre with a film club, about 7 cafes and 5 pubs.

All in a community of 1,400

Dunkeld-Field.jpg

edit -- oh and i forgot the main thing. The M90 city bus takes 1 hours 40 ffrom the bottom of my road to Edinburgh west end in time to get a few hours drinking in before the Hearts matches...

Edited by scott herbertson

7 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

If it's not about infrastructure or reliable weather then the West Highlands, anywhere from Argyll to Sutherland take some beating. If I had to pick a place to see out my days it would be the Ardnamurchan Península, stunning scenery around every bend. 

I agree with those who are suggesting East Lothian, The Borders and I would add North East Fife too if being closer to larger towns for work , entertainment and Tynecastle obviously are the driving factor.

Ardnamurchan is Gorgeous

We stayed on Carna Island in the middle of Loch Sunart Wildlife and scenery were amazing

Rahoy near Lochaline was great as well 

I live in Melrose - it's a fantastic place to live - too many tourists so a bit like Embra but I spent my summer swimming with the family and dug in the Tweed.  We're 50mins from Embra and in the middle of an unbelievable beautiful part of Scotland.

Love it down here.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

The town centre is a disgrace. 

Ayr toon centre you say? Reminds of Ally McCoist's classic answer on Question of Sport. 😄

In no particular order:

South Queensferry - good pubs, views, transport links and eating places and a bonny wee place 

Lossiemouth - a great wee town in a lovely part of the world. 

Helmsdale - see above

Oban - great pubs, gorgeous surroundings and a fantastic mix of people, radges included. 

My wife wants to live (again) in North Berwick, I want to live (again) in Stockaree or Morningside.

I guess she’ll win, as usual.  :sad: 

willie wallace
18 minutes ago, inspector said:

Portmahomack. Has its own climate, golf course and pub. What more do you need?

We ended up there after a walk from Balintore.

Didn't really know where we heading and stumbled across this stunning little place with a fantastic beach.

Didn't know anything the place so a great surprise.

2 hours ago, briever said:

I live in Melrose - it's a fantastic place to live - too many tourists so a bit like Embra but I spent my summer swimming with the family and dug in the Tweed.  We're 50mins from Embra and in the middle of an unbelievable beautiful part of Scotland.

Love it down here.

We're looking to move at the moment, and Melrose is top of our list. Missed out on a house (with great views of the Eildon Hills) a couple of months ago, so still looking for the right place to become available. Lovely town, close enough to Edinburgh and plenty to do.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Ardnamurchan is Gorgeous

We stayed on Carna Island in the middle of Loch Sunart Wildlife and scenery were amazing

Rahoy near Lochaline was great as well 

It is a great place, almost feels like being on an Island. The lighthouse is at the most westerly point on the British mainland and the views of Rhum, Eigg and Muck take some beating. Sanna Bay is one of the best beaches anywhere and Loch Sunart where you stayed is almost fjord like.  

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

My wife wants to live (again) in North Berwick, I want to live (again) in Stockaree or Morningside.

I guess she’ll win, as usual.  :sad: 

I'd no be bothering coming back here in a hurry mate, country is fecked!

Queensferry. Great wee town, great access to walks, the seaside, good pubs and restaurants and 12 mins to Haymarket on the train and they are very regular. Easy access to the motorway system. 

11 hours ago, willie wallace said:

We ended up there after a walk from Balintore.

Didn't really know where we heading and stumbled across this stunning little place with a fantastic beach.

Didn't know anything the place so a great surprise.

I'd be obliged if you could keep it a secret. Far too many tourists. Some of us have to live there😜

I really miss living in Dundee, which is something I never thought I'd ever say when I first moved there. 

We also had a house in Perthshire for a year and I think that's where we'll move back to in a couple of years once we've had our fill over here/can no longer afford our mortgage when we get interest rate rises slammed up our farters. 

22 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Agreed.  I would move to Inverness in a heartbeat if i could.

too cauld in the winter, stick to drumbrae.

Salen on Isle of Mull is my fav place.

Edited by Harry Potter

The eastern Borders for me. We moved down here around 6 years ago and love it: I wouldn't move back to Edinburgh even if I could afford it! (OK, if I won a good few mil on the lottery, I'd buy a New Town bolthole flat for Hearts' games and the odd piss-up. These might even coincide...). Although the weather's shitty today, it's noticeably drier and sunnier in general than Edinburgh - not to mention anywhere further west or north-west - so that's a major bonus too.

The surrounding countryside isn't spectacular, but is great for walking and cycling, and there are hills within a half-hour drive or bus journey, and it's only slightly further to coastal places like Berwick or Eyemouth. We're surrounded by nature too and have seen badgers, otters, kingfishers, little egrets, barn-owls, sparrow-hawks, as well as the more common deer, hares, buzzards, and kestrels. The locals are friendly too.

The transport links aren't bad, but could be better right enough, especially if they extended the Borders Railway east, instead of / as well as south. Having said that, Tweedbank is only 30 minutes away by car.

Places like Melrose and St. Boswells are also great, but quite pricey for properties.

The Old Tolbooth
On 29/09/2022 at 11:15, Dawnrazor said:

We're looking at the Gala area, or possibly Morayshire / Aberdeenshire.

I'm from Gala, there's not a lot there now sadly, it used to be a vibrant, buzzing, energetic town, and now it's a ghost town compared to when I was growing up. I'm in Fife now and I'm longing to move to Inverness or Nairn way, I absolutely love it up that neck of the woods. 

39 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm from Gala, there's not a lot there now sadly, it used to be a vibrant, buzzing, energetic town, and now it's a ghost town compared to when I was growing up. I'm in Fife now and I'm longing to move to Inverness or Nairn way, I absolutely love it up that neck of the woods. 

You're a Pail Merk 😉

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Jamboref51 said:

Lunan . Beautiful beach. Couple of mikes from Arbroath and Montrose. Would move up there tomoro 

Lunan Bay is class. Beautiful and expansive stretch of beach with huge dunes. 

The little diner shack was decent on my last visit. 

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

too cauld in the winter, stick to drumbrae.

Salen on Isle of Mull is my fav place.

Inverness isn't cold in the Winter. No worse than Edinburgh.

highlandjambo3

Let me settle this once and for all with two very simple pictures (and there are loads more) Inverness because:

Dornoch beach…..

E5809138-A28B-4CD0-89C3-EEBAA6C0ABAF.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

3 minutes ago, invernessjt said:

Inverness isn't cold in the Winter. No worse than Edinburgh.

When I was working in Inverness, we were reslating a wee bungalow close to ardersier and it was pissing down. One of the lads said " You'll not be used to this weather" Before I could say a word, the two other slaters burst out laughing and said to the lad "He's from the west coast, this is light rain to him" :D

I was driving from Oban to Inverness, but I decided to go cross country(over to the M9/A9 instead of up and across. I passed this beautiful beach, I have no idea where it was , but hopefully I'll find it one summer. The middle of nowhere.

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I was driving from Oban to Inverness, but I decided to go cross country(over to the M9/A9 instead of up and across. I passed this beautiful beach, I have no idea where it was , but hopefully I'll find it one summer. The middle of nowhere.

Loch Tay somewhere?

5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

And number two, Lochness 

Not sure why it’s side on 😁

9A05E210-4486-4F12-95D1-B5D0DB9A1555.jpeg

has the iron works shut/been pulled down?

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

has the iron works shut/been pulled down?

Dinny Ken…..too auld for all that gig stuff……building is still there but not sure if it’s functioning.

Edited by highlandjambo3

3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Dinny Ken…..too auld for all that gig stuff……building is still there but not sure if it’s functioning.

:thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Loch Morlich perhaps? The UK's only freshwater beach:

Loch Morlich Beach - Forestry and Land Scotland

Just now, Craig_ said:

6 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

:thumbsup:Could be. Cheers. 

Once I rent a works van, I'm heading up to Inverness for an Asher's pie. I'll take a wee detour.

11 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I am aye, canny shift that merk at all :lol: 

You're right about the town now though - a real shadow of its old self.  Ironically the railway has probably had a negative impact as folk just bugger off to Embra for a night out now.

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

I’m not sure that it is the only one - there’s a large beach at the head of Loch Laggan (on the road from Ft Wm to Newtonmore for eg.

6B7EECDC-67CB-4360-A8F9-54210B927B34.jpeg

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:thumbsup:Could be. Cheers. 

Once I rent a works van, I'm heading up to Inverness for an Asher's pie. I'll take a wee detour.

Ashers pie, sounds very posh 😏.

14 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'd no be bothering coming back here in a hurry mate, country is fecked!

👍

Probably returning next May or June.

Hopefully, things might have improved by then, fingers crossed. 

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

It is Loch Morlich, just outside Aviemore (East), unfortunately it’s rammed in the summer.  In the background to the left (but just out of sight) is the funicular railway which takes you almost to the top of cairn Gorm, there is a visitors centre, cafeteria and viewing platform with outstanding views.  The railway was closed down 3-4 years ago due to the raised monorail supports structures showing signs of failing but, it’s been given the green light to be repaired, next year I think.  If your up this way you need to do this.  Even with the railway closed, you can still drive up cairn gorm to the bottom of the rail line and still get a cracking view.

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Loch Tay somewhere?

Kenmore - The Beach - AGB Scotland

There's a cracking wee beach at Kenmore on Loch Tay.

I go up a couple of times a year and either stay in one of the wee cottages that the local hotel own, or park the campervan in the field behind the main road. It's spectacular on a warm summer's day, and the loch is shallow enough at this end to walk right out so safe enough for kids.

Also amazing in the winter. The early morning mist over the loch on a freezing cold morning with the snow capped mountains poking out in the background is magic.

This photo doesnae do it justice.

Edited by Dirk McClaymore