• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• il Duce McTarkin

• FWJ

• the posh bit

1 minute ago, Locky said:

East Lothian. Some places down there are beautiful. All the benefits of country living with seaside and a city all close by.

When I move back up I want to live I. East Lothian. Excellent place.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

When I move back up I want to live I. East Lothian. Excellent place.

Genuinely a bit of everything down that way Taffin. I lived in Musselburgh town centre for a couple of years and loved it. Some lovely areas of Musselburgh itself as well as outskirts like Carberry, Levenhall etc. Then further out there's some lovely little villages. Great coastal walks and beaches galore, woodland to explore and as mentioned, all still a short drive from Scotland's capital city should you need it.

Truly is God's country.

I live in Fife currently and the East neuk is quite nice. 

Another vote though for East Lothian though. Gullane beach on a sunny day is incredible. Spent many days cycling over that way and onto Dunbar. Wonderful place.

East Lothian is nice.

The train from Prestonpans to Waverley takes just 14 minutes and has just 2 stops at Wallyford and Musselburgh.

The A1 goes right through the county and its well served well by many regular buses (the 26 and the 128 etc.).

You can be in the city in 15 minutes, at the beach in 5 minutes or in the Lammermuir hills in 15 minutes.

I like Gifford, Dunbar, North Berwick and would love a rural house overlooking the Forth or somewhere rural.

Like anywhere else, it has its shitholes!

Bathgate seems alright too. Plenty going on there and decent bus service and a train station 

I stay in Kirknewton and there's **** all going on here. Only plus point is the train station. There isn't even a cash machine 

All roads lead to Gorgie

If it's not about infrastructure or reliable weather then the West Highlands, anywhere from Argyll to Sutherland take some beating. If I had to pick a place to see out my days it would be the Ardnamurchan Península, stunning scenery around every bend. 

I agree with those who are suggesting East Lothian, The Borders and I would add North East Fife too if being closer to larger towns for work , entertainment and Tynecastle obviously are the driving factor.

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Is this thread being sponsored by Visit East Lothian? :)

Even though I voted East Lothian , I have to say Royal Deeside is pretty spectacular 

Really depends on your situation, nowhere is good for everyone. 

I've lived in Midlothian, Edinburgh/Leith and now Dunfermline, each had good and bad points but they suited my situation at the time. 

22 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Bathgate seems alright too. Plenty going on there and decent bus service and a train station 

I stay in Kirknewton and there's **** all going on here. Only plus point is the train station. There isn't even a cash machine 

My best mate lives there too and yes there is virtually nothing there 😄 

It depends what you’re after.  Pitlochry is a nice wee place - plenty of visitors means there’s a good choice of restaurants / cafés / bars and it’s not banjo-plucky in a way small towns can be.  In the middle of spectacular (IMHO) scenery.  People are friendly Perth is less than half an hour away and it’s got a (relatively) good train service with about a dozen trains a day to Perth and on to G & E. There’s also a direct day & night train to London.  

But Las Vegas it’s not….

5 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

If it's not about infrastructure or reliable weather then the West Highlands, anywhere from Argyll to Sutherland take some beating. If I had to pick a place to see out my days it would be the Ardnamurchan Península, stunning scenery around every bend. 

I agree with those who are suggesting East Lothian, The Borders and I would add North East Fife too if being closer to larger towns for work , entertainment and Tynecastle obviously are the driving factor.

I couldn’t live in Ft Wm again because of the midgies.

Really.  They’re that bad.

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

My best mate lives there too and yes there is virtually nothing there 😄 

Only moved here because the Mrs wanted to send the wee man to balerno High school. Couldn't afford a place in balerno so here we are.

Love our house with huge back garden though. There's a few jambos in the street. Micky Weir lived over the road until recently 

All roads lead to Gorgie
32 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I couldn’t live in Ft Wm again because of the midgies.

Really.  They’re that bad.

I'd avoid it for the Rantic fans living there rather than the midges :smile:

Another vote for East Lothian here. 

Live in Musselburgh at the moment and have everything within easy reach. Within 10 minutes walk from my flat I can be in the middle of farmers fields, at the beach, shopping on the High Street or at the Lagoons without another soul in sight. Direct buses to Tynecastle, Portobello just along the road, trains to Edinburgh taking around 10 minutes. It's pretty ideal. Absolute shite GP surgery though. 

Will probably move slightly further out into the county eventually, really like Haddington and the coastal towns but need to be closer to Edinburgh for the time being. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Bathgate town centre is pretty much cafe's, charity shops and takeaways. Almondvale and Livi designer outlet pretty much killed it.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

East Lothian. Some places down there are beautiful. All the benefits of country living with seaside and a city all close by.

agreed. Can I see tyninghame beach from my upstairs window. Amazing 

Been out here in Queensferry for over ten years now. Love it. Great transport links, lovely high street with good boozers/restaurants/cafes, nice surrounding countryside, lots going on for the wee one.

Might be tempted to move to the Highlands when I retire, but don't want to be too far from Tynecastle!

2 hours ago, Hansel said:

Only moved here because the Mrs wanted to send the wee man to balerno High school. Couldn't afford a place in balerno so here we are.

Love our house with huge back garden though. There's a few jambos in the street. Micky Weir lived over the road until recently 

I went to Balerno High School too and most of my mates were from Ratho and Kirknewton

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I went to Balerno High School too and most of my mates were from Ratho and Kirknewton

Meant to be a good school. Where Craig Gordon went and I think Webster too

2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Bathgate town centre is pretty much cafe's, charity shops and takeaways. Almondvale and Livi designer outlet pretty much killed it.

Aye, but I'm comparing it to Kirknewton, so it seems like Las Vegas strip to me 😆 

5 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Meant to be a good school. Where Craig Gordon went and I think Webster too

I know mate , sorry if my reply read as though I didnt think you did 

Dick Dastardly

Dumfries. I live a ten minute walk from the town centre and a ten minute walk to either the river or to fields and parks. 20 minute walk and I'm in the forest. 

The town centre is dead, no shops, no cinema and nothing to do but that doesn't bother me. Just need to get them to stop building on all the open ground and things will be grand. The smell of silage could take a hike though. 

4 hours ago, Hansel said:

Well that would have raised the value of your property now that horrible wee tramp has left the street.