Best place to live in Scotland......

Section Q

Lone Striker
13 minutes ago, briever said:

I’d rather we didn’t lose the young people who are actually from there, and one of the reasons is incomers pricing them out the housing market.

Aye, but its a difficult one to solve.  Local youngsters in these remote places need jobs, so there's good reason for them to move away to a big town or city. Meanwhile folk seeking relative peace & quiet see cheap housing in these places and move in.     If they bring skills and custom to local businesses, I guess thats a good thing

Isn't it the 2nd home (holiday home/Airbnb) epidemic you're meaning ?    I don't know much about the details of Airbnb, but it seems like a modern day curse.  Having said that, I'm a regular customer of holiday letting companies - but almost all the places we've stayed in have been owned by folk living locally.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• il Duce McTarkin

• FWJ

• the posh bit

il Duce McTarkin
55 minutes ago, briever said:

I’d rather we didn’t lose the young people who are actually from there, and one of the reasons is incomers pricing them out the housing market.

We should just restrict freedom of movement altogether then and keep all those young folk where they are. I mean, what young person wants to go to university, earn a few quid in the big city, or go and shag themselves silly where the action is with all the other young folk? 

il Duce McTarkin
42 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Isn't it the 2nd home (holiday home/Airbnb) epidemic you're meaning ?    I don't know much about the details of Airbnb, but it seems like a modern day curse. 

Bang on the cash, although the availability of holiday lets also brings in a fair wedge to the local economies.

Damned if you do, etc.

42 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

but almost all the places we've stayed in have been owned by folk living locally.

Aye, but were they filthy English incomers?

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

the posh bit
10 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Having said that, I'm a regular customer of holiday letting companies - but almost all the places we've stayed in have been owned by folk living locally.

Its quite hard to let out a second home if you're miles away. The changeovers are expensive. In many places the locals either won't touch them or demand extortionate rates of pay with other non-negotiable demands. 

Lone Striker
15 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Bang on the cash, although the availability of holiday lets also brings in a fair wedge to the local economies.     Yeah, its a good thing generally.  It makes you realise how fragile lots of shops and attractions are though, having to make the most of the main tourist season to see them through the winter.

Aye, but were they filthy English incomers?    2 of the 4 recent places were owned by ladies with English accents - not that it really matters.  They're probably just recycling the income into local businesses anyway.  It helps to make  the world go round.  😏

5 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Its quite hard to let out a second home if you're miles away. The changeovers are expensive. In many places the locals either won't touch them or demand extortionate rates of pay with other non-negotiable demands.     Aye, seems to me that its kinda risky to  let out a holiday house directly without using a letting company, unless you  have  trustworthy & reliable folk in the area to help you - cleaners, tradesmen, someone to meet & greet and be a point of contact for issues.         

18 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

This is pretty common all over Scotland in my experience.

Who can blame them.

Skye is quite popular. I don't blame them, fecking loved working there.

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Skye is quite popular. I don't blame them, fecking loved working there.

Got a couple of mates who've moved over there to start their families. 

WFH has made this possible for one, and the other guy's a roofer who bought a wreck for shitpence and brought it back to life. He's got an amazing view of the Cullins. I'll try and dig out a photo or two.

That thing you do

Dundee.

I know, but hear me out

Small enough to not be fully a city 

Great beach at Broughty Ferry with active sailing swimming and kayak club

Close to Tentsmuir/St Andrews

Decent transport links.

6 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Got a couple of mates who've moved over there to start their families. 

WFH has made this possible for one, and the other guy's a roofer who bought a wreck for shitpence and brought it back to life. He's got an amazing view of the Cullins. I'll try and dig out a photo or two.

:thumb:

3 hours ago, Section Q said:

Funny how no one suggests Bute. Just been voted best place to live....

Weirdly I went there on a wee day-trip for the first time a couple of weeks ago (more to see Wemyss Bay Railway Station TBH - which is superb)

Rothesay was nice enough, nicer than I expected since it only gets a fraction of the tourists it would have had in its heyday.

Half-hour on the hourly ferry and then less than an hour by train to the Weeg.

Edited by FWJ

18 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Weirdly I went there on a wee day-trip for the first time a couple of weeks ago (more to see Wemyss Bay Railway Station TBH - which is superb)

Rothesay was nice enough, nicer than I expected since it only gets a fraction of the tourists it would have had in its heyday.

Half-hour on the hourly ferry and then less than an hour by train to the Weeg.

Yep. 30 minutes on the boat and they open the bar....! And you're right about the station. 

Thought Rothesay looked tired. Like a lot of Scottish towns. Great scenery though.