*** Hearts Winter Transfer Thread - Henderson and Connor Smith loaned out***

dazajmbo

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Don't think many folk noticed because nobody spoke to him or anything but Conor was at the game today. Was in the section along from us with a couple of his mates.

Thought you meant McAvoy

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

• Batistuta87

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Smith, apologies. 

He goes to most games when he hasn’t been in squad- aware he’s on loan now. Was at Easter road last week as well. 

Edited by biffy

All roads lead to Gorgie

I would still like us to bring in an experienced striker even on loan for the rest of the season. Kuol, Oda and even Humps I don't think they will be prolific although they will bring plenty excitement I'm sure but don't heap pressure on them especially away at shitty pitches like Livingston's. An old head on days like today could swing games in our favour whilst we can let Kuol and Oda loose on our own patch where the surface will be to their liking.

8 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I would still like us to bring in an experienced striker even on loan for the rest of the season. Kuol, Oda and even Humps I don't think they will be prolific although they will bring plenty excitement I'm sure but don't heap pressure on them especially away at shitty pitches like Livingston's. An old head on days like today could swing games in our favour whilst we can let Kuol and Oda loose on our own patch where the surface will be to their liking.

Love Humphrys - he did well today - but you're right none of them are clinical penalty box strikers like Shanks. Would be good to be able to give him a wee rest now and again if he wants it, but we would really struggle without him. Boyce obviously can do it but won't be back any time soon. Loan til the end of the season would be ideal but experienced players don't tend to be readily available on loan so don't think we'll see it happen unfortunately. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Love Humphrys - he did well today - but you're right none of them are clinical penalty box strikers like Shanks. Would be good to be able to give him a wee rest now and again if he wants it, but we would really struggle without him. Boyce obviously can do it but won't be back any time soon. Loan til the end of the season would be ideal but experienced players don't tend to be readily available on loan so don't think we'll see it happen unfortunately. 

I know, it's probably wishful thinking by me and any older player a club would be willing to loan out would likely be someone out of form anyway or with little recent first team action to speak of.

2 hours ago, Barack said:

“A couple of them find it difficult to play on that [astroturf] surface and then play again two or three days later so we just felt it was important to, yes, try to win this, but also try to make sure we have guys ready for Wednesday.”

As I thought, keeping old knees off the turf.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Don't think many folk noticed because nobody spoke to him or anything but Conor was at the game today. Was in the section along from us with a couple of his mates.

09deb8a20d7f354c-600x338.jpg

maxresdefault (4).jpg

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

“A couple of them find it difficult to play on that [astroturf] surface and then play again two or three days later so we just felt it was important to, yes, try to win this, but also try to make sure we have guys ready for Wednesday.”

As I thought, keeping old knees off the turf.

That's a genuine thing, which in itself should be a reason not to have it. I coach a team and often join in for a game for the last 20mins or so and I can always feel it the next day in my knees and back, so if you have a bad knee, back, anything really, you're going to feel it.

It's also a horrible surface for playing good football. You can see players struggle to run with the ball and to pass it as accurately because the rubber pellets sort of grip it so it doesn't skip over the surface like on grass (especially wet grass which ours always is). 

3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

That's a genuine thing, which in itself should be a reason not to have it. I coach a team and often join in for a game for the last 20mins or so and I can always feel it the next day in my knees and back, so if you have a bad knee, back, anything really, you're going to feel it.

It's also a horrible surface for playing good football. You can see players struggle to run with the ball and to pass it as accurately because the rubber pellets sort of grip it so it doesn't skip over the surface like on grass (especially wet grass which ours always is). 

Indeed. I played in a regular ultimate frisbee match on a plastic university pitch near me for a few years, and could always feel it in the knees and ankles. It's passable for something where you're just running around and using your hands primarily, but association football involves constant kicking at the ground. Livi at least have the pitch with the little rubber balls scattered around that makes it a softer surface, but those still have the problem of excessive traction.

Arthur Morgan
6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

It's also a horrible surface for playing good football. You can see players struggle to run with the ball

Yeah, I noticed Humphrys kinda tripped over himself when dribbling with the ball in the 1st half.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Yeah, I noticed Humphrys kinda tripped over himself when dribbling with the ball in the 1st half.

Yes, his heavy touch that ruined his counter move seemed to come when his toe momentarily stuck in the turf.

You can get used to playing on plastic pitches but it takes a while. Huge home advantage for Livi TBH.

1 minute ago, WageThief said:

Nope, unacceptable.

You take the pick-up games you can get, not always the ones you want.

9 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Not for me. I lost interest in English football 20 odd years ago. Hyped up bollocks. The top 20/25 are on steroids and the quality below that is very poor value for money. 

Same.  I saw something on Twitter the other day with some guy comparing the EPL spending v other top leagues like it was sine badge of honour and a reason to start a super league.

Quite a spin on what is nothing more than a bubble and entirely unsustainable model.  Scottish football will still be here long after the English game as we know is in tatters.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Or just play our 20 goal captain back up front?

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was his creativity and passing from deep that created most of our chances in the first half.  

jamboinglasgow

So with two days left, I am going to make a prediction that there with be a left field signing (based on no inside knowledge.) I also think we wont get Paterson.

i wish jj was my dad
9 hours ago, FJT said:

I’d still prefer us to just play him right up front. 
he’s got the killer instinct many just don’t have 

I think the system we have been playing with him behind a fleeing machine like Gino has worked really well. Kuol could be even better in that role. 

8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

So with two days left, I am going to make a prediction that there with be a left field signing (based on no inside knowledge.) I also think we wont get Paterson.

I'm in this boat. Looks like we have another target, if we don't get Patterson in this window. Tbh getting Patterson for nothing later makes more sense. No rumours on here about who the alternative is, but I'm guessing a RWB. 

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Same.  I saw something on Twitter the other day with some guy comparing the EPL spending v other top leagues like it was sine badge of honour and a reason to start a super league.

Quite a spin on what is nothing more than a bubble and entirely unsustainable model.  Scottish football will still be here long after the English game as we know is in tatters.

Not sure. I can see game times being moved to suit the Asian, Indian and American markets.

Plenty gass in the sky tank yet, unfortunately. 

14 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

It’s Patterson or no one in my opinion. Don’t need anything else.

We are short of a decent RWB.

10 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I’m at this stage. Think Paterson will be here in the summer and we’ll either sign no one else (which is fine) or some random.

23 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The debt and reckless spending of clubs in the Championship and League one really annoys me. They are all chasing the same thing, getting into the Premier league and the money that comes from it, so they just load clubs with more and more debt. They in turn push wages up, allowing them to make Scottish football unable to compete for players. And yet even when they get punishments for breaking financial rules which bring in transfer bans, there are usual tons of loopholes which means they still get players.

English football has a perception of Scottish football being a backwater, but English lower league football is currently built on a rotten foundation. There have been stories for a while of clubs being at risk, you wonder when it will collapse.

I'd love the whole ****ing thing to collapse mate.  It's disgusting.  Hey if Sky or whoever pump money, you ain't gona say no, but this entire league setup and the vast majority of its supporters look down their noses at Scottish football, and every single bit of sneer is built on nothing but spending.  And the vast majority of that spending is wreckless and beyond even their inflated means.

When clubs like Wigan or Blackpool are scoffing at Hearts while sitting 10s of millions in debt, and just trudging along, the only question you need to ask is "would I swap position with them".  Easy answer eh.

7 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

We are short of a decent RWB.

Getting to the stage where I'd take a RWB. I like Nate but if he's not improving we need to do something. I'd maybe give him until the end of the season but if he's still not up to it then it'll be time to have a conversation.

28 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Getting to the stage where I'd take a RWB. I like Nate but if he's not improving we need to do something. I'd maybe give him until the end of the season but if he's still not up to it then it'll be time to have a conversation.

Thought he done ok yesterday, never looked any worse than the rest of the team and picked up a booking that was never a booking that probably effected the way he could play. Not sure he's the long term answer though and would be delighted if we signed someone similar to Cochrane on the right. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
13 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It's more of a back up experienced striker I was thinking of, someone to come in alongside Shanks or step in if he is injured or tiring. I do want to see Shankland in the box and not become a bit of a Tony Watt though. There is a risk his goals could dry up if he plays too deep for an extended period. Most games I want to see him alongside the likes of Gino or Kuol with their pace and movement. 

I’d like a rwb to come in. Reckon Nat could do with a wee loan to the championship or lower prem side. Still think there could be a player there but not quite at the moment 

jamboinglasgow
36 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I'd love the whole ****ing thing to collapse mate.  It's disgusting.  Hey if Sky or whoever pump money, you ain't gona say no, but this entire league setup and the vast majority of its supporters look down their noses at Scottish football, and every single bit of sneer is built on nothing but spending.  And the vast majority of that spending is wreckless and beyond even their inflated means.

When clubs like Wigan or Blackpool are scoffing at Hearts while sitting 10s of millions in debt, and just trudging along, the only question you need to ask is "would I swap position with them".  Easy answer eh.

Add in you have people snapping up English clubs looking to make money by getting them into the Premier league and then selling the club at inflated value to the next sucker who will take it. But the problem with that is that its easier said than done, so the owners spend more money that becomes greater debt (which the owner is fine with as if it pays off then the next owner will buy the club with debt and the previous owner doesn't lose out.) Its a system that rewards reckless spending (or seems to provide little real consequence.) 

As you say, they scoff at us while sitting in eye watering debt, Scottish football could do what English football does and rack up debt, paying out silly wages, but then these clubs who then claim Scottish football is only like that due to reckless spending. As you say, i enjoy Scottish football and rather the way we are than how English football is.

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

Thought he done ok yesterday, never looked any worse than the rest of the team and picked up a booking that was never a booking that probably effected the way he could play. Not sure he's the long term answer though and would be delighted if we signed someone similar to Cochrane on the right. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions which is fair enough however he constantly gets caught out of position and if it wasn’t for good defending from the others we would have been punished.

He lost the ball in the first half and was out of position and instead of bursting a gut to get back he just walked back. Players lose the ball and will on occasion be caught out but you do everything you can to get back. He also offered zero going forward, which Cochrane was also guilty of.

For me it’s just now working. He came on and did well against Hibs, admittedly in an unnatural position, however more often than not he’s a liability.

jamboinglasgow
54 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m at this stage. Think Paterson will be here in the summer and we’ll either sign no one else (which is fine) or some random.

Just have a hunch, that we may sign someone who is not in the RWB position, a player who has suddenly become to good to turn down. To be fair it is probably hope rather than anything.

1 minute ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions which is fair enough however he constantly gets caught out of position and if it wasn’t for good defending from the others we would have been punished.

He lost the ball in the first half and was out of position and instead of bursting a gut to get back he just walked back. Players lose the ball and will on occasion be caught out but you do everything you can to get back. He also offered zero going forward, which Cochrane was also guilty of.

For me it’s just now working. He came on and did well against Hibs, admittedly in an unnatural position, however more often than not he’s a liability.

He is not good enough for the level we want to be at now.

Not strong enough defensively and offered nothing going forward yesterday.

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Just have a hunch, that we may sign someone who is not in the RWB position, a player who has suddenly become to good to turn down. To be fair it is probably hope rather than anything.

Might be worth keeping an eye on who mutually agrees to cancel their contract before the window closes too. Wouldn’t be the first time we brought someone in that way. You never know. Good position to be in though, being content with what we have but great if someone else was to come in.

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Add in you have people snapping up English clubs looking to make money by getting them into the Premier league and then selling the club at inflated value to the next sucker who will take it. But the problem with that is that its easier said than done, so the owners spend more money that becomes greater debt (which the owner is fine with as if it pays off then the next owner will buy the club with debt and the previous owner doesn't lose out.) Its a system that rewards reckless spending (or seems to provide little real consequence.) 

As you say, they scoff at us while sitting in eye watering debt, Scottish football could do what English football does and rack up debt, paying out silly wages, but then these clubs who then claim Scottish football is only like that due to reckless spending. As you say, i enjoy Scottish football and rather the way we are than how English football is.

Don't you feel we're more connected to our clubs (maybe especially at Hearts due to what we did and what we do)?  Like I know a diehard Blackpool fan will love Blackpool etc but the whole thing in England, certainly in the top 2 leagues just feels so disconnected.

I met a Morecambe fan through work a few months ago (and we had a laugh at how bad some Hibs players they've had were!) and he felt like a real football supporter, young lad but had healthy respect for Scottish football and knew if he had a good player, he could lose him to a top flight Scottish team cos we're bigger.  But I'm down there a lot for work and you dont meet many English fans who don't just take the piss out of Scottish football.  Christ I had a Rotherham supporter lording it one time!!!  I honestly didn't even know they were in the top 4 divisions!!! haha

6 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

There was one occasion where I said to myself “where’s Atkinson” as they attacked our right sight and he was one of our furthest players, which seemed odd. But to be honest that’s the nature of wing back, Smith too has been caught up the park with balls played in behind many a time too, it’s why we play 3 at the back to cover that. Hill covered Smith and yesterday Sibbick covered Atkinson. Atkinson played just fine for me.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Wondered if I had wandered onto the match thread again.

Nothing new I see, expect it to stay that way, we are well enough covered not to force any issues this window

RustyRightPeg

Atkinson was fine yesterday, neat and tidy on the ball and did nothing wrong defensively. Wing back position is unforgiving. Even more so on a shite surface after not starting a game for 3 months. 

Folk should be looking at Kingsley’s performance yesterday where he was obsessed with up and under and finding touch. Finn Russell would’ve been proud of it.

11 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

He was OK aye. You're right there's no way he should have been booked, Livi's LB's one on Shankland was worse and that somehow went un-punished. That might have changed his game slightly in all fairness, and being his first start in a while he might have been rusty. Had a couple of moments either way yesterday I'd say, where he did well to get out of a couple of tight situations but didn't do so well in others. Conditions wouldn't have favoured him at all either, of course. Like I say I like him and want it to work out for him, but he just needs to crack on a wee bit. 

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Atkinson was fine yesterday, neat and tidy on the ball and did nothing wrong defensively. Wing back position is unforgiving. Even more so on a shite surface after not starting a game for 3 months. 

Folk should be looking at Kingsley’s performance yesterday where he was obsessed with up and under and finding touch. Finn Russell would’ve been proud of it.

This. But some folk have just got to have a boo boy or they can’t function. 

The Old Tolbooth
7 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Wondered if I had wandered onto the match thread again.

Nothing new I see, expect it to stay that way, we are well enough covered not to force any issues this window

I'd agree with that, first time I can remember being happy with not needing anyone else in for as long as I can remember, we've got plenty players in each position now, and some very good quality too, now let's get Gino signed up, and extend Shankland's contract, and it will have been a brilliant window. 

Jambo in Bathgate
8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Thought Kingsley had a number of opportunities yesterday to play Cochrane in on the wing but he choose to pass into a mass of Livingston players. 

Churchill Barrier
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He was OK aye. You're right there's no way he should have been booked, Livi's LB's one on Shankland was worse and that somehow went un-punished. That might have changed his game slightly in all fairness, and being his first start in a while he might have been rusty. Had a couple of moments either way yesterday I'd say, where he did well to get out of a couple of tight situations but didn't do so well in others. Conditions wouldn't have favoured him at all either, of course. Like I say I like him and want it to work out for him, but he just needs to crack on a wee bit. 

He never quite looks  like he has the ball under control, i am never confident when he receives a pass to his feet, he is ok running onto a pass. To me looks uncomfortable at times. 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Don't you feel we're more connected to our clubs (maybe especially at Hearts due to what we did and what we do)?  Like I know a diehard Blackpool fan will love Blackpool etc but the whole thing in England, certainly in the top 2 leagues just feels so disconnected.

I met a Morecambe fan through work a few months ago (and we had a laugh at how bad some Hibs players they've had were!) and he felt like a real football supporter, young lad but had healthy respect for Scottish football and knew if he had a good player, he could lose him to a top flight Scottish team cos we're bigger.  But I'm down there a lot for work and you dont meet many English fans who don't just take the piss out of Scottish football.  Christ I had a Rotherham supporter lording it one time!!!  I honestly didn't even know they were in the top 4 divisions!!! haha

I know what you mean, I get a sense of powerlessness among fans in the top 2 leagues in England. There has always been club owners, and owners that fans have disagreed with, but it was usually someone who was local and was a fan. It still felt like the local club. But now English clubs are state owned to sportswash, owned by wealth overseas owners to turn over an investment, used as a bank to fund the owners other activities, owned by a people who want a go at playing football club owner. or make your company part of a "group of clubs." And its not just overseas owners, look at Mike Ashley, tearing apart a club just so he can advertise his company.

I would argue out of all the Premier league clubs, I can only think of Brighton as an example of a good owner with good connection with fans and club and run well (maybe Brentford though.)

I will never understand English fans and pundits desire to trash Scottish football, I could only think it is fear that we take away some of the spotlight away from them and rival them (which is nonsense.) A lot of times its just insulting and perhaps its like when a child picks on another child as they want to feel superior for once. I read a good article a few months back where a Scottish journalist for the Athletic interviewed quite a few scouts for English clubs about their views on Scottish football. You had some interesting points from most ranging from Scotland is very undervalued and some scouts have been begging the clubs to look at it as they will get great value, to non-old firm clubs can struggle to get clubs as they view the old firm as the key indicator but if non-old firm clubs do well in Europe it can open it up. But you still got ones who talked about Scottish football being terrible, Old Firm players cant be judged as they only play 4 real games a season etc. 

41 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Agree he wasn't bad but looked very nervy for some reason

Thought he would've came back buzzing from world cup. Seems to have done the opposite.

6 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Natty can’t defend,Smith can’t attack.We need someone who can do both.

You're wrong about Smith. He can finish a move and score but he lacks pace. Atkinson doesn't seem to be cut out for Scottish/British footbal he's a lightweight and doesn't like to tackle.