Weekend matches postponed and other football impacts (merged/updated)

Hagar the Horrible

TweedbankJambo
2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The SFA/SPL have not an ounce of commen sence or compassion

This weekends football should be cancelled, but how long before these useless eejits decide, or will they need one again bullied into it

All football in England  off

Compassion for a woman who paid a lady 12 million quid compensation to keep quiet regarding her son's pedophilic behaviour.

No thanks.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• August Landmesser

• Jambo 4 Ever

• The Real Maroonblood

• Sleepy head

August Landmesser

Both Celtic and Liverpool were due to be at home tomorrow. Neither teams grounds are renowned for being hotbeds of monarchism. I wonder if that was a factor in the decision?

Edited by August Landmesser
Time travel

joondalupjambo

On reflection if the funeral is to be on Monday 19th would it not have been more appropriate to cancel sports events over the preceding weekend?  

I am not for or against these actions but for people, businesses, sporting clubs and venues, etc etc it would have given them all time to prepare.  As it is we have a far too quick decision, which is clearly decisive in some parts of the UK and open to criticism.

If it was the weekend of the funeral, when Monday is a Bank Holiday anyway then to me it would be flow far better.  Those that want to take part in the respect paying can and others who do not can do what they want to do.  

The way it has been done does suggest a lack of understanding of how the various parts of the country, and groups of people feel and looks like England has spoken.  Not a uniting action.

joondalupjambo
31 minutes ago, TweedbankJambo said:

Compassion for a woman who paid a lady 12 million quid compensation to keep quiet regarding her son's pedophilic behaviour.

No thanks.

12million to protect the House of Windsor and the monarchy I suspect and not the one dict head of a son.

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

On reflection if the funeral is to be on Monday 19th would it not have been more appropriate to cancel sports events over the preceding weekend?  

I am not for or against these actions but for people, businesses, sporting clubs and venues, etc etc it would have given them all time to prepare.  As it is we have a far too quick decision, which is clearly decisive in some parts of the UK and open to criticism.

If it was the weekend of the funeral, when Monday is a Bank Holiday anyway then to me it would be flow far better.  Those that want to take part in the respect paying can and others who do not can do what they want to do.  

The way it has been done does suggest a lack of understanding of how the various parts of the country, and groups of people feel and looks like England has spoken.  Not a uniting action.

Monday 19th isn't a public holiday where I work.  I have no idea if the company will make it one for the Queen, though.

joondalupjambo
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Monday 19th isn't a public holiday where I work.  I have no idea if the company will make it one for the Queen, though.

The expectations are that the day of the funeral, which could be Monday 19th will be declared a Bank Holiday in the UK.  It is to be confirmed early next week.  It could make sense to make that Monday 19th if the funeral can be done that day. 

Not sure what that means for business in terms of what they will do staffing wise but some will close I would of thought if a UK wide holiday has been declared.  Guess it will depend on type of business and perhaps even location.  As I say to be confirmed early next week once Government talks with Palace are completed in relation to the mourning and funeral arrangements.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The expectations are that the day of the funeral, which could be Monday 19th will be declared a Bank Holiday in the UK.  It is to be confirmed early next week.  It could make sense to make that Monday 19th if the funeral can be done that day.  Not sure what that means for business in terms of what they will do staffing wise but some will close I would of thought.  Guess it will depend on type of business and perhaps even location.  

19th is a rest day for me, means I'll get another day chucked into my annual entitlement......bonus.

TweedbankJambo
31 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

12million to protect the House of Windsor and the monarchy I suspect and not the one dict head of a son.

I'm my eyes thats irreparable. Each to their own.

19th is my oldest boys birthday and I am on annual leave so will be good to get an extra bonus day off

Not a royalist at all but think that knowing how much the monarchy means to many it's probably the best idea to postpone this weekend... hopefully we can work on defending f###ing corners with the extra rest too 

This is a fecking joke - rugby and cricket in England is going ahead - why are the cancelling the fitba?

You want to mourn do it yourself - dont cancel everyone else's plans.  Useless SFA/SPFL.

Shooter McGavin

Brutal decision.

The saddos can sit in their houses crying into their Union Jacks, or hang around Buckingham Palace like goons, the rest of us want to crack on with our lives.

joondalupjambo
20 minutes ago, TweedbankJambo said:

I'm my eyes thats irreparable. Each to their own.

Not disagreeing just highlighting who I think the monarchy are protecting, not one person more the institution.

TweedbankJambo
3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Not disagreeing just highlighting who I think the monarchy are protecting, not one person more the institution.

Fair enough. It's damaged it beyond repair now anyway. All trust is gone. The new king is even worse than his little brother. 

joondalupjambo
44 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

19th is a rest day for me, means I'll get another day chucked into my annual entitlement......bonus.

Unfortunately every day is a holiday for me 🙂

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Rangers in talks with authorities and UEFA about their game on Tuesday. 

Thoughts and prayers for them at this difficult time.

4 hours ago, Jodami said:

A complete overreaction, undoing plans made by hundreds of thousands of people up and down the country, many of them apathetic about the monarchy. All the right wing fools who are obsessed with wokeism completely miss the irony over them being consistently over the top about Britain and the monarchy. Fair enough if you don't want to go as you are mourning (I personally don't actually agree it genuinely is mourning unless you know the person who passed) but leave everyone else to choose. 

Well said. 

4 hours ago, Jodami said:

A complete overreaction, undoing plans made by hundreds of thousands of people up and down the country, many of them apathetic about the monarchy. All the right wing fools who are obsessed with wokeism completely miss the irony over them being consistently over the top about Britain and the monarchy. Fair enough if you don't want to go as you are mourning (I personally don't actually agree it genuinely is mourning unless you know the person who passed) but leave everyone else to choose. 

Agree with this.

Feels like we're being forced to mourn. I'm not into actively disrespecting her but it really isn't affecting me or anyone I know. Literally no one I know is sitting at home feeling sad instead of getting on with their lives. 

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

Edited by Hansel

Bazzas right boot

Hopefully, as this is the gesture of respect many feel is required there are no minutes silences at the events when they resume normal service. 

It could save some clubs a lot of embarrassing moments which is a good thing. 

If they do this and have a minutes silence then why bother with the prosponment? 

It's probably also  good for us as a club. 

Ofc, I expect rangers to really over play their hand and out do every one in the universe in the "paying respects ( honestly, no point scoring) stakes. 

In general it seems like a bit of forced mourning on the nation which have various bodies trying to out do each other. 

Days like this I'm glad I binned fb. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Horse racing back on Sunday but not at Musselburgh as Queens' body lying in state in Edinburgh.

I'm sure by next weekend we will all be grateful for the break.

And that’s the only sport Liz genuinely enjoyed so the BHA have probably got a better idea about ‘what she would’ve wanted’ than any other organisation. As much as it’s a daft decision, it helps us so I’m all for it. 

The Wrinkly Ninja

If there’s no football where are people going to go to sing their wee songs about fenians and union jacks?

Thoughts and prayers out to section N.

33 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

If there’s no football where are people going to go to sing their wee songs about fenians and union jacks?

They could head down to Buckingham Palace and start angrily accosting tourists who look a bit foreign ………… stand guard over the teddies and flowers 

I'm annoyed, was going to the WSL football on Sunday in London but I respect their decision. Before I make new plans I seem to have missed the memo saying I'm being forced to mourn too, does it come by email, or post?

46 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Really nips ma pish. It's a frigging "Union FLAG" ffs. Its a union JACK if its on a RN ship. Its not very probable that many if them were born under a flag on a ship.

Bonnie Prince Charlie
3 hours ago, TweedbankJambo said:

No thanks.

Well said

Utter nonsense for me. I'd prefer to celebrate her life rather than mourne her death. Take away all the things we look forward to and anybody who isn't particularly sad at the moment will certainly be by the day of her funeral. Having said that it probably works from a football point of view that we don't have to play on Sunday as we're not winning many games at the moment.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, 1953 said:

Utter nonsense for me. I'd prefer to celebrate her life rather than mourne her death. Take away all the things we look forward to and anybody who isn't particularly sad at the moment will certainly be by the day of her funeral. Having said that it probably works from a football point of view that we don't have to play on Sunday as we're not winning many games at the moment.

Good point, at 96 ( and her lifestyle) it is most definitely a celebration of life. 

Media outlets, clubs and individuals trying to put do each other in who's the saddest tho. 

Humanity needs reset. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Really nips ma pish. It's a frigging "Union FLAG" ffs. Its a union JACK if its on a RN ship. Its not very probable that many if them were born under a flag on a ship.

One could say that Great Britain, being an island is the greatest ship to have graced the oceans. 

🤓

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

No one put a gun to the head of the Scottish sport organisations. They’ve made a decision themselves. 

Plenty united on this. 

17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm annoyed, was going to the WSL football on Sunday in London but I respect their decision. Before I make new plans I seem to have missed the memo saying I'm being forced to mourn too, does it come by email, or post?

I think it gets delivered alongside a chip on the shoulder so my reckoning is by post. 

Not had mine either yet. 

I have the most profound respect for the Queen and was deeply saddened by her loss.  I took no further interest in the Hearts game after the news broke.

It wouldn't have mattered to me if the weekend games had gone ahead or not.  Personally I would have taken no interest.

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I have the most profound respect for the Queen and was deeply saddened by her loss.  I took no further interest in the Hearts game after the news broke.

It wouldn't have mattered to me if the weekend games had gone ahead or not.  Personally I would have taken no interest.

You’ll get over it.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

41 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

One could say that Great Britain, being an island is the greatest ship to have graced the oceans. 

🤓

:sick:

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, Sleepy head said:

What if I don't respect her? As many others don't. 

Then shut your hole otherwise you risk bringing the reputation of the club into disrepute.

What’s more important? Being a pigheaded dick or the reputation of the club?

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

At least you managed to gather yourself and post your feelings on here. 

#prayforkiwidoug 

25 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Lots of decent folk would agree with you 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

On top of it all the break this weekend helps us.

What sort of imbecile of a fan doesn’t recognise that?

Constant reminders the past week that a lot of you are not part of any “family” I want to be a member of.

There is no “Hearts family” - just a disparate group mixed of bigots, idiots, mysoginists, racists, brilliantly generous, some intelligent and some forward thinking individuals.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Is there a reason given why football shuts down, but Rugby and other leisure activities don't? 

They’ve took the common sense approach and we haven't?

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Is there a reason given why football shuts down, but Rugby and other leisure activities don't? 

Football is always an easy target.

I doubt the Queen would give a shiny shite if football was played.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Then shut your hole otherwise you risk bringing the reputation of the club into disrepute.

What’s more important? Being a pigheaded dick or the reputation of the club?

Fair. 

No reason why folk can't be silent after the death of a prominent person. 

It's a shame folk choose which ones to mock and which ones to respect. 

We are a very divided, many folk showing outrage at the imbecile behavior during the queen's silence will quite happy revel in the death of others. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Maybe if they do this, then they won't  do the minutes silence in a weeks time. 

Save a few red faces and scenes we seen x100 on thur? 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Tom Hardy’s Dug
20 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe if they do this, then they won't  do the minutes silence in a weeks time. 

Save a few red faces and scenes we seen x100 on thur? 

Agreed.

Sadly football fans can’t be trusted to be the least bit dignified.

Even our fans who shouldn’t have any skin in that particular game.

7 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The SFA/SPL have not an ounce of commen sence or compassion

This weekends football should be cancelled, but how long before these useless eejits decide, or will they need one again bullied into it

All football in England  off

I disagree. I think all sports should be going ahead. Respect can still be shown.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

I disagree. I think all sports should be going ahead. Respect can still be shown.

I agree. With our current injuries we’d show St Mirren respect in losing to them.

I’ll say it slowly and loudly.

NO. GAME. THIS. WEEKEND. BENEFITS. US. 

So quit moaning just to make you feel part of some cool separatist type cult.

12 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I agree. With our current injuries we’d show St Mirren respect in losing to them.

I’ll say it slowly and loudly.

NO. GAME. THIS. WEEKEND. BENEFITS. US. 

So quit moaning just to make you feel part of some cool separatist type cult.

It doesn't suit West Ham to play Newcastle at a later date when they've got currently injured players back. The fixture pile up won't suit them either.

Hearts will breeze 3rd regardless of when they play St Midden, win or lose.

Edit: there's nothing cool about me bud, and I'm too old to care what anyone thinks of me.

Double edit: My oldest lads U8's match has even been cancelled ffs. Do they think a bunch of 7 year old care about an old lady dying? They just want to play football!

Edited by IronJambo

• davemclaren changed the title to Weekend matches postponed and other football impacts (merged/updated)