• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PapaShango

• Italian Lambretta

• Midloth_Iain

• McCrae

Boyces beard

Will be one of the other two matches for me, don't fancy Istanbul as i will be taking my son and i expect there will be a bit trouble from the home fans.

Somewhere I’ve always wanted to go and would love to be joining you Jimmy. Unfortunately work commitments mean it’ll be home ties only for me ☹️

5 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Will be one of the other two matches for me, don't fancy Istanbul as i will be taking my son and i expect there will be a bit trouble from the home fans.

They seem to have a very small home support looking at recent attendances. Only 3.5k at their last home Europa qualifier.

8 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Don't think there will be any bother, all a bit stereotypical. The 'welcome to hell' stuff won't be an issue for Hearts! It's an incredible place so don't dismiss it out of hand! 

I'm in Turkey (Bodrum) over the 15th Sept so hoping it is that date we get them. Even if I don't actually make it to Istanbul for the game.

Heartsmad1874

Will be booking this as soon as its announced. Edinburgh direct to Istanbul hopefully on a morningish flight to arrive in Istanbul at a good time.

Quick glance at flights on a Wednesday, after draw was made has them around £300-400 atm. Accommodation etc looked pretty cheap on booking.com also. 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm in Turkey (Bodrum) over the 15th Sept so hoping it is that date we get them. Even if I don't actually make it to Istanbul for the game.

It's just over an hour's internal flight from Bodrum to Istanbul.

I'm looking at this option and thinking about taking in a weeks holiday

Good looking stadium. So many clubs in one city. Big big clubs, too. I think they are going to be a real test, let's say.

Edited by Riccarton3

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's just over an hour's internal flight from Bodrum to Istanbul.

I'm looking at this option and thinking about taking in a weeks holiday

Yeah. That's potential for us. Fairly cheap too.

Sinbad the Sailor

A superb city. I've been 5 times. Loads to see and the Turkish Lira is mental now. 19 or 20 to the pound so pints of Efes are cheap albeit inflation is worse than here. No shortage of kebabs😁 Their coffee is really strong and apple tea is everywhere.

A taxi from Ataturk airport is cheap considering the distance and Turkish Airlines are great.

Their equivalent of Princes St is Istikal Caddessi. Even at 3 in the morning its rammed. Loads of great bars in Bar St just off Istikal Caddesi and on the other side a tiny wee bar called the Yuri Gagarin is good.

The big bridge near the Galata Tower has bars under the carriageway and there are tons of blokes fishing above you for sardines.

The underground Cistern is worth seeing as well as the Blue Mosque. Bargains and much cheapness to be found in the spice market and grand bazaar (top quality hooky watches, designer gear. My Omega is still going strong 5 years on). James Bond rode his motorbike on the roof of the Grand Bazaar.

Turkish fans are mental. We went to Galatasaray and were searched FOUR times. We were worried what we were going to expect but they played "I will survive" when they scored a goal quashing that myth somewhat. Welcome to hell my erse.

That said we were supposed to watch Kasimpasa too but no fans were allowed in because of crowd trouble the week before. They did let women and kids in and in a drunken haze we were close to buying full length burkhas.

Enjoy fellow Jambos.

2 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Stuff this.

Stab culture over there!

Riga or Florence for me.

Haha, aye no stab culture in Italian football. 

When was the last time away fans had any newsworthy bother over there? Were Man U not there fairly recently, imagine that would have resulted in quite a bit if it's so rife?

Heartsmad1874
3 minutes ago, the general said:

Fancy this but direct flight could be expensive

Have looked at the dates the Wednesday flight from Edinburgh is ranging from £280 being the furthest date away to £400+ for the dates coming up.

Heartsmad1874
Just now, hughesie27 said:

When was the last time away fans had any newsworthy bother over there? Were Man U not there fairly recently, imagine that would have resulted in quite a bit if it's so rife?

Man Utd were there during covid if i'm right.

Heartsmad1874
Just now, hughesie27 said:

Yeah could be right.

Burnley took about 500 4 years ago and can't see or remember any bother being in the news

This would be an interesting trip but I wouldn't be totally comfortable travelling there given the potential for trouble, although that fear may be unfounded based on previous posts. 

Edited by Jambos_1874

3 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Stuff this.

Stab culture over there!

Riga or Florence for me.

I agree. We are going over to turkey during the games but too far away from Istanbul to be able to go should it be on at the same time although it could be doable. I just don’t trust it to go smoothly as they are an unpredictable support, and I’d be going on my own as the rest of the family won’t go (not interested in football and kids too young).  Decisions though possibly. 

7 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

This would be an interesting trip but I wouldn't be totally comfortable travelling there given the potential for travel, although that fear may be unfounded based on previous posts. 

Not unfounded at all, the potential for travel is a certainty. 😄😄

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not unfounded at all, the potential for travel is a certainty. 😄😄

😂 post now edited!

Worked in Istanbul a couple of times and loved it. Messaged a Besiktas supporting colleague who lives there, said they are a strong team but don't have many supporters. Won't be trouble in his opinion. Definitely a possible wee trip.

Gorgie_Rules

This isn’t the intimidating trip many are making out. This clubs average attendance is 1,800 a week.

Its not like we are going to Fernabache or Galatasaray on a big champions league night.

It‘s not like we carry a notorious reputation as a club that will want to go looking for trouble like some of the english clubs.

No more of a risk than any other away trip imo, go and enjoy the city

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Bunch of cowards not wanting to go to Turkey if you ask me.

My working hours prohibit me from the away games incidentally.........

Always wanted to go to Istanbul.

Heard good things.

Not really sure if I'd go for the football however.

8 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Dirty city and high crime - no thanks. 

Florence - yes please.

Just as much chance of trouble in Florence than Istanbul. Istanbul trouble bit of a myth.

1 minute ago, Tour22 said:

Just as much chance of trouble in Florence than Istanbul. Istanbul trouble bit of a myth.

More the petty crime than violent crime. Hope it goes smoothly though! 

There is a possibility I might be able to fit this in with a trip out to Asia but it would mean I’m going solo. 

By the comments so far, it doesn’t look like many others are planning on going. How many fans do you think we will take? 

1 hour ago, JJ93 said:

Florence - yes please.

Can’t agree with that … Istanbul is a fantastic city!
Place was spotless and infrastructure was exceedingly good, roads immaculate, verges manicured grass trimmed lovely flowers and shrubs.

I was there for 3 days approx 5 years ago and it was so much better than I expected! A class above all British cities!

If you can make it get over there!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Aye Man U lost 2-1 ... This is going to be a very tough away fixture.

People that believe there will be bother so won't go...from ultras to terrorism, make me laugh. Assume you also don't travel to Belfast just in case your taxi has a bomb attached to it. Mental.

That thing you do

Cant speak about Istanbul but Ive been to Trabzonspor and had a great time there as a football tourist.  Im in the "dont listen to the typical media nonsense camp".

Then again i live in Mexico and youd think its a war zone if you believe the media. But Mexico is huge and its not my reality.

Footie here is awesome. Been to the Azteca a few times to pay my respects to Diego Jimmy Armando McMaradonnas hand of god.

I personally think Istanbul is a great trip. But so is Florence and Riga!

One of the best cities in the world. Been a few times now. Went to a Fener Champions league game which was pretty cool.

The place is perfectly safe as long as you're respectful and don't act like a prick.

7 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Florence - yes please.

Got mugged in Florence when with my wife. 3 lads, 2 with blades around 8pm at night. Bye,bye 8 megapixel camera…………(show’s you how long ago but the culture will be hard to shake I’m sure)

Edited by goldie83
Spelling

Just now, goldie83 said:

Got mugged there when with my wife. 3 lads, 2 with blades. Bye,bye 8 megapixel camera…………(show’s you how long ago but the culture will be hard to shake I’m sure)

Midloth_Iain
11 hours ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

A superb city. I've been 5 times. Loads to see and the Turkish Lira is mental now. 19 or 20 to the pound so pints of Efes are cheap albeit inflation is worse than here. No shortage of kebabs😁 Their coffee is really strong and apple tea is everywhere.

A taxi from Ataturk airport is cheap considering the distance and Turkish Airlines are great.

Their equivalent of Princes St is Istikal Caddessi. Even at 3 in the morning its rammed. Loads of great bars in Bar St just off Istikal Caddesi and on the other side a tiny wee bar called the Yuri Gagarin is good.

The big bridge near the Galata Tower has bars under the carriageway and there are tons of blokes fishing above you for sardines.

The underground Cistern is worth seeing as well as the Blue Mosque. Bargains and much cheapness to be found in the spice market and grand bazaar (top quality hooky watches, designer gear. My Omega is still going strong 5 years on). James Bond rode his motorbike on the roof of the Grand Bazaar.

Enjoy fellow Jambos.

Atautrk airport is closed mate, the new airport (Istanbul airport) is a lot further out of the city. It is huge, very modern and easy to navigate but the travel time into the city is between 60-90 minutes by taxi. Was there in May and at that time there was no decent public transport links.

Sultanahmet is the tourist centre (Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, TopKapi Palace) and is very scenic.

The underground cistern has been closed since covid times, think they are doing extensive renovations.

The Fatih Terim stadium (Basaksehir) is on the north east outskirts, almost en-route to the new airport so if staying in this area it would shorten the time to the airport.

Istanbul is a huge city, the airport and stadium are both on the European side.

Midloth_Iain

Hoping for 15th September.

Short flight up from Dalaman, although still to clear it with the Mrs if it transpires ....

🤗🌞

This is my only option, be in Spain for riga and portugal for fiorentina 😫😫😫

I will leave it until later though and wait to see if the game means anything.  Not forking out for a dead rubber.  I do think though that we have a chance albeit small if getting through

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official ISTANBUL travel thread - buses being provided ( updated ) ***