***Official ISTANBUL travel thread - buses being provided ( updated ) ***

JimmyCant

Italian Lambretta
2 minutes ago, SecN said:

That would be good to ask for the club(s) would help.

I’m also booked for old town area although chose a wee bit further out to get a room with air-con. 😊

Just had a look at Google street search around where our hotels are and there a loads of tour companies who offer sightseeing trips. 

Maybe worth contacting one of those and trying to book a minibus or bigger for game and back

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PapaShango

• Italian Lambretta

• Midloth_Iain

• McCrae

I’d reckon there could be a couple of coaches worth based in the old town. Surely the host club might show interest in getting us all out to the stadium. 

Our game over there is 5.45pm yes? 

So you would expect some kind of transport to be running after the game? Game will be finished 7.45 etc 

14 hours ago, heartsjosh said:

if google maps says 10 minutes it will be, is a really hilly city though and obviously some really busy areas. 

In the old town where people seem to be staying, prices are a bit higher for food and obviously a bit more touristy. In general I never spend much time here, but Fuego in Sultanahmet is good! Their Beyti kebab is class. 

So many cool bars and places to eat in Istanbul, especially in the galata and karakoy area, which is easy to get to from old town. My advice would be to go to this area and will find loads depending on taste. 

If anyone gets a bit of time, take the ferry from karakoy to kadikoy! Means you get to see a bit of the asian side and the ferry is quick (20 mins) and and only costs like 50p. Kadikoy is great as well! "Victor levi sarap evi" great spot for food and drink.

Can I ask and sorry if you have advised already but what’s the best area(S) to base ourselves in that is good for the airport and getting to stadium.

Or is transport easy enough - taxis etc 

Italian Lambretta

Okay guys I've been in touch with a tour company based in the old town near the Just Bar

I've had an email back with details. 

Total cost of 45 seater coach leaving Just Bar at 4pm to stadium and back 670 euro.

So 15 euros per person if it's full.

Midloth_Iain
1 minute ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Okay guys I've been in touch with a tour company based in the old town near the Just Bar

Total cost of 45 seater coach leaving Just Bar at 4pm to stadium and back 670 euro.

Sounds good ....

Sure it will sell out - we havent booked yet, 80% sure we will , just waiting on numbers confirming.

Might even be scope for a 2nd bus.

Count me in for that.  $15 euro and a tip for the driver is a great rate to get safe and timely travel out and back.  

Well done Italian Lambretta.

I know theres a suburban train goes to the ataturk stadium and basaksehir is just beyond that.worth getting out at the ataturk for half an hour just have a look around especially if your of a liverpool persuasion!

Kiss my badge

I've booked  two nights at the Henna Hotel and got early morning flights from Heathrow on the Wednesday and late flight back on Friday. Going to be travelling alone but as has been mentioned by others if anyone staying at the Henna (or nearby) wishes to share a taxi to the stadium, let me know.  

Just seen the post about a possible coach I'm happy to be added to list if it goes ahead, would be nice to maybe swing by the Ataturk stadium on the way for a few photos if that's not complicating things to much.

Edited by Kiss my badge
the standard typos i do it every time

Jack Torrance

Maybe something like this will help?

Everyone should be able to go in and add to the itinerary where they're meeting, times etc, buses, taxis, pubs, food...

https://wanderlog.com/plan/roqkoqjrqfsvefsg/trip-to-istanbul/shared

Obviously only add stuff you want to share with thousands of others, not if you're meeting a mate.

Edited by Jack Torrance

3 hours ago, SecN said:

That would be good to ask for the club(s) would help.

I’m also booked for old town area although chose a wee bit further out to get a room with air-con. 😊

Air Con in November? It's about 15°C max?

Italian Lambretta

Okay I'll get further details about payment from the company and look to make arrangements nearer the time.

But I think it will be easy enough to organise. If there is enough numbers we might get 2 buses. 

3 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Maybe Hearts could help out with this once they get official numbers.

Theres a few of us staying at the Hotel Peninsula just round corner from the Just Bar.

Question for you ... did the hotel get back to you after booking and ask for payment in cash when you check in? Wondering if this is a specific to my hotel or Istanbul hotels in general?

11 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Okay I'll get further details about payment from the company and look to make arrangements nearer the time.

But I think it will be easy enough to organise. If there is enough numbers we might get 2 buses. 

Count me in for a space on this as well if it goes ahead.

Kiss my badge
12 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Question for you ... did the hotel get back to you after booking and ask for payment in cash when you check in? Wondering if this is a specific to my hotel or Istanbul hotels in general?

I booked via a third party website (booking.com) with them you have option to pay straight away, a few days before travel or on arrival at the hotel. Also you get all money back if you have to cancel up to (i think) a week before traveling.  

Edited by Kiss my badge

1 minute ago, Kiss my badge said:

I booked via a third party website (booking.com) with them you have option to pay straight away, a few days before travel or on arrival at the hotel. Also you get all money back if you have cancel up to (i think) a week before traveling.  

Nice one. I booked through booking.com as well but perhaps missed the payment options in my excited haste! :lol: I've since booked another place for a ton less so will pie the original booking.  So far so good on the lastest hotel wrt to cash wanted on the door.

3 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Count me in for that, I'm staying about 30 metres from JustBar👍

Jambo_In_London

Good to see a few fellow Jambos are intending on making this trip. 

I already had a trip to Istanbul planned and got a bit lucky with the draw. I was due to be flying London to Istanbul with a couple of non Jambo mates Friday 5th Nov to Wednesday 9th anyway but the opportunity to watch Hearts over there seemed too good to pass up on. 

I have therefore managed to amend my outbound flight from london which will get me into Istanbul early on the Thursday morning and allow me to do the game and Istanbul solo until mates arrive on the Friday night. 

I’ll be staying at the Sublime Porte Hotel for the Thursday which seems to be similar area to a few others at Henna Hotel. 

Looks like might be a few doing this trip solo so hopefully catch up with a few over there for a beer/transport on the Thursday 🍺 

24 minutes ago, Jambo_In_London said:

Good to see a few fellow Jambos are intending on making this trip. 

I already had a trip to Istanbul planned and got a bit lucky with the draw. I was due to be flying London to Istanbul with a couple of non Jambo mates Friday 5th Nov to Wednesday 9th anyway but the opportunity to watch Hearts over there seemed too good to pass up on. 

I have therefore managed to amend my outbound flight from london which will get me into Istanbul early on the Thursday morning and allow me to do the game and Istanbul solo until mates arrive on the Friday night. 

I’ll be staying at the Sublime Porte Hotel for the Thursday which seems to be similar area to a few others at Henna Hotel. 

Looks like might be a few doing this trip solo so hopefully catch up with a few over there for a beer/transport on the Thursday 🍺 

Nice one I’m staying just along from the Henna hotel and also going solo. Not an issue for me and I’m sure we will all meet up in the bars anyway! 

marsha_takis
4 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Three of us would definitely be up for this.

Alternative transport.

Transport

The Fatih Terim Stadium is easily 20km/12.5 miles from the centre of Istanbul. Light-blue metro line M3 terminates at Basaksehir MetroKent. From there, take a taxi – the journey to the stadium is under 2km. Not only does Bus 78F run infrequently (every 40min weekdays, every 1hr 20min weekends) from the metro station to the stop by the stadium, Basaksehir 4.Etap, but it calls at 60 (!) stops.

It’s about an hour to reach Basaksehir MetroKent from town, taking green line M2 from Taksim, say, to its terminus at Yenikapi, then red line M1B all the way to Kirazli. From there, change onto the light-blue M3, taking it the whole way to Basaksehir MetroKent.

Maybe more than 2, 4 of us are 5 mins walk from just bar so would be interested in this too

It should’ve been 12!

Hi, me and my old man would be interested in this so 2 spaces please. 

We are travelling from Edinburgh to Istanbul return Wednesday-Saturday direct with Turkish Airlines (£318pp when booked) and staying in the Ayasultan Hotel (Alemdar Mah, in Fatih 100m from centre and 11 minute walk to Just Bar) for 3 nights (£160, £80pp all in including breakfast). 

We have arranged an airport transfer to and from the hotel from Istanbul airport which is €89 return total and we have 2 spaces as it can accommodate 4 passengers so happy to share costs with anyone who needs transfers either staying at this hotel or close?

Going to be some adventure! 👍🇱🇻🍻

Edited by It should’ve been 12!

4 of us staying at the radisson, 7 minute walk from justbar, would be all in for the bus to/from stadium.

Keep us posted

cheers

Also interested in a private hire bus, if it works out. :thumbsup:  I'll be in the neighbourhood for three days either side of the match.

Italian Lambretta

Update

I've been back in touch with the company to ask about payment and booking timeline. I'm awaiting a reply from them.

He has his tour shop in the same street as Just Bar.

Midloth_Iain
3 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Update

I've been back in touch with the company to ask about payment and booking timeline. I'm awaiting a reply from them.

He has his tour shop in the same street as Just Bar.

👌

Not sure if it is Efendi or not ...  if it is, they are a great T.A.  😉

Italian Lambretta
31 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

👌

Not sure if it is Efendi or not ...  if it is, they are a great T.A.  😉

No Its Magic Valley but i did see them when I was looking at street maps earler.

Incidentally the whole street looks great with Turkish cafe bars down both side of the road.

5 minutes ago, SecN said:

Is 4PM pick-up enough time to get to stadium. 

Great effort IL but I think that's a great question. Traffic in Istanbul can be brutal. I'd want to leave a bit earlier on a bus from there given the  kick off is 5.30 and it will take at least an hour anyway. 

Italian Lambretta

Okay based on the interest on here and the members of our bus who are going to Instanbul thats us up to 30 already.

Italian Lambretta
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Great effort IL but I think that's a great question. Traffic in Istanbul can be brutal. I'd want to leave a bit earlier on a bus from there given the  kick off is 5.30 and it will take at least an hour anyway. 

Im sure the KO is 6.30 local time but i will double check

Midloth_Iain
15 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

No Its Magic Valley but i did see them when I was looking at street maps earler.

Incidentally the whole street looks great with Turkish cafe bars down both side of the road.

Its a very popular area, lots of backpackers as well as mixed age group tourists. Have stayed in the area a few times, love it !

N Lincs Jambo
22 hours ago, heartsjosh said:

if google maps says 10 minutes it will be, is a really hilly city though and obviously some really busy areas. 

In the old town where people seem to be staying, prices are a bit higher for food and obviously a bit more touristy. In general I never spend much time here, but Fuego in Sultanahmet is good! Their Beyti kebab is class

So many cool bars and places to eat in Istanbul, especially in the galata and karakoy area, which is easy to get to from old town. My advice would be to go to this area and will find loads depending on taste. 

If anyone gets a bit of time, take the ferry from karakoy to kadikoy! Means you get to see a bit of the asian side and the ferry is quick (20 mins) and and only costs like 50p. Kadikoy is great as well! "Victor levi sarap evi" great spot for food and drink.

Did you ever eat at Beyti's restaurant near the old Ataturk airport? That place was top class and served an amazing Yogurtlu Kebab. I'm assuming it might be the same as that was their signature dish.

6 hours ago, GYL said:

Air Con in November? It's about 15°C max?

My first trip to Istanbul was November 1990 and it was 25C when we arrived. Having said that it can also be pretty cold that time of year.

8 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

It’s 5.30 local time mate. Maybe leave at 3.15/3.30?

9 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Great effort organising as well! Happy to help pay any deposit etc. if needed pre travel as well. 

marsha_takis
19 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Okay based on the interest on here and the members of our bus who are going to Instanbul thats us up to 30 already.

I originally said 3 but now there’s 6 of us 👍

Italian Lambretta
5 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Great effort organising as well! Happy to help pay any deposit etc. if needed pre travel as well. 

Just had a message from them they are looking to get payment 2 days before game so they can book bus. (Tuesday)

Ive told him I wont arrive in Instanbul until late Tuesday so wont get to his office until wednesday morning. 

It also means I may have to collect money at one of our homes games and take bookings. 

Im waiting on a reply. If they insist on Tuesday then its a no go.

1 minute ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Just had a message from them they are looking to get payment 2 days before game so they can book bus. (Tuesday)

Ive told him I wont arrive in Instanbul until late Tuesday so wont get to his office until wednesday morning. 

It also means I may have to collect money at one of our homes games and take bookings. 

Im waiting on a reply. If they insist on Tuesday then its a no go.

No problem keep us in the loop. I’m happy to BACS any payment over in time for you going over. 

Italian Lambretta
6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

No problem keep us in the loop. I’m happy to BACS any payment over in time for you going over. 

That might be the best way to do it if everyone is happy with that. I will have to transfer money into Euros to take with me.

We'll see what they say.

It would be around £13 each depending on euro rate.

Edited by Italian Lambretta
update

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official ISTANBUL travel thread - buses being provided ( updated ) ***