• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PapaShango

• Italian Lambretta

• Midloth_Iain

• McCrae

N Lincs Jambo

Don’t think there will be trouble as long as we don’t do daft things like piss on/set fire to the Turkish flag or try to trap off with their women. That’s the sort of thing that unites Turks against you and brings their football rivals together.

Not been for a long time but used to go regularly for work and it really is a great city. The team is new (founded 1990) but has competed regularly in Europe over the last 10 years or so. They knocked a Belgian team (Antwerp) out to qualify so they will be no mugs despite their small support.

2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Don’t think there will be trouble as long as we don’t do daft things like piss on/set fire to the Turkish flag or try to trap off with their women. That’s the sort of thing that unites Turks against you and brings their football rivals together.

Not been for a long time but used to go regularly for work and it really is a great city. The team is new (founded 1990) but has competed regularly in Europe over the last 10 years or so. They knocked a Belgian team (Antwerp) out to qualify so they will be no mugs despite their small support.

Which part of the city would you suggest staying in and do you know how far it is from the stadium?

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

Which part of the city would you suggest staying in and do you know how far it is from the stadium?

Loads of hotels around the Bosphorus on the European side around the districts of Sisli, Besiktas etc. Looking at the map it seems that Basaksehir is an outlying suburb on the north-west of the city and pretty far out. Never been to that part of the city but it could be a good hour out of the centre, possibly more.

I’ve booked flights - going out on the Wednesday and returning Friday £510 for the two of us. Now to work out where the best place is to stay. 

6 minutes ago, aam025 said:

I’ve booked flights - going out on the Wednesday and returning Friday £510 for the two of us. Now to work out where the best place is to stay. 

the accommodation is what I’m trying to suss out, assuming I get the green light from work it’s the only trip I’ll be making, flight from down south is cheap too. However such a big city where’s the best place I.e boozers, their stadium looks miles away from the centre too

59 minutes ago, QEC-Hearts said:

the accommodation is what I’m trying to suss out, assuming I get the green light from work it’s the only trip I’ll be making, flight from down south is cheap too. However such a big city where’s the best place I.e boozers, their stadium looks miles away from the centre too

I think I have settled on a hotel close to the ground. Can spend the day in Istanbul and get a taxi to the match. 

Had the flight in my basket Wed to Saturday direct from Edinburgh.....sold out now 🤷 tbh was put off with distance from airport to city and city to ground, also seems transport links are not good 

4 minutes ago, GYL said:

Had the flight in my basket Wed to Saturday direct from Edinburgh.....sold out now 🤷 tbh was put off with distance from airport to city and city to ground, also seems transport links are not good 

Taxis are very cheap.

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Taxis are very cheap.

How cheap....if your 90mins from Airport, I would expect minimum £50/60, travelling myself so no one to split costs with 🤷

12 minutes ago, GYL said:

How cheap....if your 90mins from Airport, I would expect minimum £50/60, travelling myself so no one to split costs with 🤷

If you are coming into the main Istanbul International airport it's only about 17-18 miles to the ground, showing as taking under half an hour. 

Will there be a general sale or will it be season ticket holders only?

If I go may just have to go to home bit, unless it's just general pay to get in?

LivingstonJambo99
Just now, GYL said:

Anybody booked a hotel in Istanbul yet, such a huge city don't want to book then never se another Jambo while there🤦

Same problem here, especially travelling on my own 

Heartsmad1874
14 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Will there be a general sale or will it be season ticket holders only?

If I go may just have to go to home bit, unless it's just general pay to get in?

Not as much demand for this one as the others i don't think so think it will be like Zurich away.

Heartsmad1874

Holding back on hotels for now until i see where other fans are staying as a previous poster said not staying where theres no Hearts fans

16 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Holding back on hotels for now until i see where other fans are staying as a previous poster said not staying where theres no Hearts fans

Same. Blue Mosque area seems lively, but a bit of trip, pre-post match & airport. 

2 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Loads of hotels around the Bosphorus on the European side around the districts of Sisli, Besiktas etc. Looking at the map it seems that Basaksehir is an outlying suburb on the north-west of the city and pretty far out. Never been to that part of the city but it could be a good hour out of the centre, possibly more.

Thanks

2 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I’d second that! Down by the river on the European side. Easy to get a ferry to cross over to other (Asia) side.

32 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

It’s a huge city ….. 3,000 Jambos will be swallowed up! 
However at the match assuming there’s something to play for they all will all come together in a big twirly  …

Huge as in population that is x3 that of Scotland! 
So the chances of meeting somebody that knows your Turkish 🇹🇷 barber 💈 is nil!!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

Booked Henna Hotel, half a mile from city centre. Free airport shuttle… free hotel cancellation until 23rd October. Breakfast included… good deals on bookings.com

Turkish Airlines Direct from Edinburgh.

marsha_takis
8 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Booked Henna Hotel, half a mile from city centre. Free airport shuttle… free hotel cancellation until 23rd October. Breakfast included… good deals on bookings.com

We’ll likely book Henna today too. Rather stay central than far out nearer stadium.

6 minutes ago, marsha_takis said:

We’ll likely book Henna today too. Rather stay central than far out nearer stadium.

Exactly… very easy to get to stadium  from city centre. 

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

It’s a huge city ….. 3,000 Jambos will be swallowed up! 
However at the match assuming there’s something to play for they all will all come together in a big twirly  …

Huge as in population that is x3 that of Scotland! 
So the chances of meeting somebody that knows your Turkish 🇹🇷 barber 💈 is nil!!

Be lucky if 1000 go to Istanbul in my estimates based on nothing more than gut feeling.

40 minutes ago, McCrae said:

We’ve booked this hotel too. Only going for for a short time and want to see the city. Hopefully a taxi to get back after the match, if no the metro. 

jambo in iraq

Just booked return from Dubai. Hotel The Peak on Taksim square, being it’s a square or the square in the city centre I presume that’s where fans will congregate.

Edited by jambo in iraq

16 minutes ago, aam025 said:

We’ve booked this hotel too. Only going for for a short time and want to see the city. Hopefully a taxi to get back after the match, if no the metro. 

3.30pm Kick off… plenty of time to head back to city centre for dinner and a few beers. 

Midloth_Iain
6 minutes ago, jambo in iraq said:

Just booked return from Dubai. Hotel on Taksim square, being it’s a square or the square in the city centre I presume that’s where fans will congregate.

Miles away from the stadium. Think in terms of Musselburgh to Corstorphine  😉

The city is made up of lots of different centres and Taksim is one of them.

Cant really see a square meet up, the Turkish polis wouldnt be accommodating to that.

Sultanahmet, the historic tourist centre is closer to Basksehir but still a fair distance.

marsha_takis
52 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Exactly… very easy to get to stadium  from city centre. 

Henna triple room gone haha! Still gonna opt for somewhere central

RichBTiscuits

Can't see this being the sort of trip where all the Jambos gather in an open square drinking (I could be wrong).

I went on the trip to Sarajevo in 2003 and someone organised a pub/function room for us. They put on a bbq for the travelling support and we stayed there the whole day. 

Midloth_Iain
38 minutes ago, RichBTiscuits said:

Can't see this being the sort of trip where all the Jambos gather in an open square drinking (I could be wrong).

Agreed, Istanbul Polis wont be amenable to that ....

Hopefully there is transport laid on to / from the stadium, it is a fair bit out from city centre and mostly residential and motorways around it.

Thinking more about getting back to city after game

Edited by Midloth_Iain

4 hours ago, GYL said:

Bit the bullet and booked Wednesday to Saturday...my procrastinating cost me over £100 though🤦 Will hang off booking hotel see where everyone else is going although Henna looks favourite just now👍

Tempted to stretch this into a 4/5 night stay as it’s on my bucket list.

Direct flights and a selection of deals at moderate prices another plus.

Anyone have hotel recommendations?

jambo in iraq
1 hour ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Miles away from the stadium. Think in terms of Musselburgh to Corstorphine  😉

The city is made up of lots of different centres and Taksim is one of them.

Cant really see a square meet up, the Turkish polis wouldnt be accommodating to that.

Sultanahmet, the historic tourist centre is closer to Basksehir but still a fair distance.

Yeh, I’ve driven past the stadium before. Was thinking more that Besiktas area is where a lot of the bars and cafes are. The area around the ground is not the most appealing tbh.

25 minutes ago, Elljay said:

Tempted to stretch this into a 4/5 night stay as it’s on my bucket list.

Direct flights and a selection of deals at moderate prices another plus.

Anyone have hotel recommendations?

Have a look at Henna Hotel. We are staying till Saturday.

1 hour ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Agreed, Istanbul Polis wont be amenable to that ....

Hopefully there is transport laid on to / from the stadium, it is a fair bit out from city centre and mostly residential and motorways around it.

Thinking more about getting back to city after game

Game is a 3.30pm Kick off…don’t think it will be an issue.

2 hours ago, McCrae said:

3.30pm Kick off… plenty of time to head back to city centre for dinner and a few beers. 

5:30 local time...be about 9pm by time we get back to City

41 minutes ago, GYL said:

5:30 local time...be about 9pm by time we get back to City

Are you sure…UEFA website says 3.30pm…  better if is a bit later, more time to do things before going to match.

Heartsmad1874
4 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Are you sure…UEFA website says 3.30pm…  better if is a bit later, more time to do things before going to match.

Its 3.30pm UK time. Website shows times in BST. Istanbul is 2 hours ahead of so local time kick off is 5.30pm

19 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Already answered but yepScreenshot_20220827-172738_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d80bda89cdc664f91442cb94fd34a608.jpg

3 of us staying Henna hotel Wed and Thu.  Pretty sure I ticked the box to ask for an airport transfer when making booking, but don't see anything about this on the email I got, anyone else do this?  I was in a rush so may have made an ar$e of it.

Booked with the Kalyon hotel. Looks very good. Henna did not have twin rooms left on the site I checked out. Not too far apart though. Bring it on.

I’m going to this one on my jack jones and staying in the Henna Hotel. Rest of my mates doing Italy but this was only one I could do. Would be happy to meet up with fellow jambos for a beer while across! I’m going Wednesday to Friday. 

44 minutes ago, Uberjambo said:

Booked with the Kalyon hotel. Looks very good. Henna did not have twin rooms left on the site I checked out. Not too far apart though. Bring it on.

This might be the only away game we can all make How much are you paying for the room mate ? Trying to get prices for 4 of us, cheers 

Edited by One five

Anyone else on the 11.35 flight from Edinburgh on the Wednesday  to the Henna Hotel that wants to share a taxi? Hotel has quoted me 50 euros for a private transfer 

Edited by PapaShango

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official ISTANBUL travel thread - buses being provided ( updated ) ***