***Official ISTANBUL travel thread - buses being provided ( updated ) ***

JimmyCant

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, jkbam said:

3 of us staying Henna hotel Wed and Thu.  Pretty sure I ticked the box to ask for an airport transfer when making booking, but don't see anything about this on the email I got, anyone else do this?  I was in a rush so may have made an ar$e of it.

They sent me an email saying they were happy to help provide transfers hoping that means i can message them nearer time and ask for an Airport transfer.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PapaShango

• Italian Lambretta

• Midloth_Iain

• McCrae

Heartsmad1874
3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Anyone else on the 11.35 flight from Edinburgh to the Henna Hotel that wants to share a taxi? Hotel has quoted me 50 euros for a private transfer 

Majority of fans going will probably be on that Wednesday flight🤣

Edited by Heartsmad1874

6 minutes ago, One five said:

This might be the only away game we can all make How much are you paying for the room mate ? Trying to get prices for 4 of us, cheers 

Got it at £88 a night, for 3 nights.

3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Anyone else on the 11.35 flight from Edinburgh on the Wednesday  to the Henna Hotel that wants to share a taxi? Hotel has quoted me 50 euros for a private transfer 

Taxis look to be about 20-25 quid each way. 

23 minutes ago, Uberjambo said:

Taxis look to be about 20-25 quid each way. 

Yeah looks like they are cheaper if you book yourself and don’t go through the hotel.

LivingstonJambo99

Have hotel booked with free cancellation however I’ve totally missed the boat with flights.. £420+ now Wednesday  to Friday 

gerryjambo41

Me and my mate now booked up , two nights in Istanbul flights from Glasgow with one stop each way . I'm hoping the club do a charter for Florence and I'll try get to that one too 😎

45 minutes ago, LivingstonJambo99 said:

Have hotel booked with free cancellation however I’ve totally missed the boat with flights.. £420+ now Wednesday  to Friday 

Yeah I paid around that direct from Edinburgh. About £100 cheaper from Manchester and you can also get cheaper with BA with a stop in London. If you go from Gatwick they are £159 but then obviously have the costs of getting there presuming your in Scotland. I’ve bit the bullet and booked as they have no shot up to near £600 from Edinburgh. Hotels seem reasonable and you can do 2 nights for under £100.

If most supporters were in same hotel area, is it sensible and possible to group together for shared transport for airport transfers, to/from stadium, etc?

Just now, SecN said:

If most supporters were in same hotel area, is it sensible and possible to group together for shared transport for airport transfers, to/from stadium, etc?

It is if you can do it.  I can't get to Istanbul, but I'm jumping in because I think your question makes sense (if arrangements can be made).

will-i-am-a-jambo

I've booked flights Wed to Sat for this game. Not sure where to stay yet, travelling on my own so hopefully try not to be too far away from fellow jambos! 

Midloth_Iain
8 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

I've booked flights Wed to Sat for this game. Not sure where to stay yet, travelling on my own so hopefully try not to be too far away from fellow jambos! 

looks like lots of fans basing themselves in the Old Town (Sultanahmet), plenty hotels in the area ......

Got a dilemma Istanbul is the only away game I can make but my dads told me He’ll be raging if I go there (I Am over 20) 

8 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

I’m in the Henna Hotel it was £155 for the 2 nights but plenty hotels in the vicinity of that one. 

6 hours ago, jambocall51 said:

Got a dilemma Istanbul is the only away game I can make but my dads told me He’ll be raging if I go there (I Am over 20) 

Istanbul looks a cracking city think you have just as much chance of trouble in Florence as you do here. It’s not like we are playing Galatasary or one of the other well supported teams in Turkey.

8 hours ago, jambocall51 said:

We were concerned about going as well, but after looking into it in more detail our trip to Italy would be more of a concern.  

On 26/08/2022 at 19:00, Riccarton3 said:

Good looking stadium. So many clubs in one city. Big big clubs, too. I think they are going to be a real test, let's say.

Istanbul is an enormous city. The old city is also incredibly beautiful and full of history.

1 hour ago, braveheart said:

Flights from 2nd to the 7th for under £200 on skyscanner from Manchester 👍

Decent price just a bit too long after the game for me

Jack Torrance

Wanted to do the Florence trip but clashes with a work trip. I only go away with work about once every couple of years. Chances of it clashing ffs. So Turkiye it is.

We've booked Tuesday to Saturday.  Staying at Homey hotel, cos' I liked the name. Relatively close to IST given the arrival at midnight.

Hopefully get tickets OK.

See ya all there. Somewhere. In amongst the millions of locals.

Looking forward to this - and one of these rare times being based in Dublin works for me. Really good deal on Lufthansa flight to Istanbul via Frankfurt - and ended up less the the Dublin - Edinburgh flight cost me for the Zurich game. Being a Jambo is never easy or cheap!!!!!

Istanbul looks a cracking city really looking forward to heading over. You can still get flights from Manchester the Wednesday to Friday for under £400. The Edinburgh flight on the Wednesday has shot up to over £600

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Istanbul looks a cracking city really looking forward to heading over. You can still get flights from Manchester the Wednesday to Friday for under £400. The Edinburgh flight on the Wednesday has shot up to over £600

From 9:30 yesterday morning to about 2pm ish they went up £120, I eventually booked the Wednesday to Saturday for £430..., going to be a tourist on the Friday never been to Istanbul and was on the bucket list 👌 

Anybody booked the Senatus Hotel only 100 metres from Henna and about £200 for 3 nights Wednesday to Saturday....50 metres to Just Bar that someone has already mentioned on this thread and looks fab 😁

3 minutes ago, GYL said:

Anybody booked the Senatus Hotel only 100 metres from Henna and about £200 for 3 nights Wednesday to Saturday....50 metres to Just Bar that someone has already mentioned on this thread and looks fab 😁

Also I've booked round trip private transfer for £68, happy to share up to 4 people 👍

Seeing a few people saying they are worried about trouble in Istanbul. I lived in Istanbul for 3 years and only moved to London last July. The whole time I lived there I never had any issues. The people are so friendly, welcoming and they love their football. I watched the Scottish cup final against Celtic a few years ago on my own in a pub with my Hearts top on and by the end I had 10 locals watching it and supporting Hearts with me!

Only thing worth looking out for is taxis - they sometimes try and rip tourists off. Pretty standard in lots of cities, just make sure the meter is on and maybe use an app if booking. "Bitaksi' was the most popular app, but Uber had just been reintroduced when I left so you may be able to use this. 

I used to go to the Besiktas games regularly as they were my local team (unbelievable atmosphere and experience, if anyone ever gets the chance, do it). Basaksehir have a tiny support and are not popular at all, due to their links with the president and the fact that they have bought success and because of this a lot of Turks will probably be supporting Hearts.

Its an incredible city, with so much to do and see and the buzz is class, its also very cheap. If anyone has any questions on anything about the city, feel free to message me. I am sure everyone will have a great time.... absolutely typical that a year after I leave Istanbul, Artic monkeys play a gig in Istanbul and Hearts draw an Istanbul team!! 

31 minutes ago, heartsjosh said:

Seeing a few people saying they are worried about trouble in Istanbul. I lived in Istanbul for 3 years and only moved to London last July. The whole time I lived there I never had any issues. The people are so friendly, welcoming and they love their football. I watched the Scottish cup final against Celtic a few years ago on my own in a pub with my Hearts top on and by the end I had 10 locals watching it and supporting Hearts with me!

Only thing worth looking out for is taxis - they sometimes try and rip tourists off. Pretty standard in lots of cities, just make sure the meter is on and maybe use an app if booking. "Bitaksi' was the most popular app, but Uber had just been reintroduced when I left so you may be able to use this. 

I used to go to the Besiktas games regularly as they were my local team (unbelievable atmosphere and experience, if anyone ever gets the chance, do it). Basaksehir have a tiny support and are not popular at all, due to their links with the president and the fact that they have bought success and because of this a lot of Turks will probably be supporting Hearts.

Its an incredible city, with so much to do and see and the buzz is class, its also very cheap. If anyone has any questions on anything about the city, feel free to message me. I am sure everyone will have a great time.... absolutely typical that a year after I leave Istanbul, Artic monkeys play a gig in Istanbul and Hearts draw an Istanbul team!! 

Fantastic to read… what pubs/restaurants would you recommend in the city centre?

Looking at cheaper and more value hotels that are ‘10minutes walk’ from the old town and the aforementioned Henna and JustBar hub. 

Is a Turkish 10minutes different from a Scottish 10minutes in terms of navigating through crowds, streets, hagglers, etc?

1 hour ago, GYL said:

Also I've booked round trip private transfer for £68, happy to share up to 4 people 👍

Hi I’m also booked into the Senatus Hotel and would be keen to share taxi! I’m on the Wednesday flight from Edinburgh going back through Friday. 

7 minutes ago, SecN said:

Looking at cheaper and more value hotels that are ‘10minutes walk’ from the old town and the aforementioned Henna and JustBar hub. 

Is a Turkish 10minutes different from a Scottish 10minutes in terms of navigating through crowds, streets, hagglers, etc?

if google maps says 10 minutes it will be, is a really hilly city though and obviously some really busy areas. 

28 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Fantastic to read… what pubs/restaurants would you recommend in the city centre?

In the old town where people seem to be staying, prices are a bit higher for food and obviously a bit more touristy. In general I never spend much time here, but Fuego in Sultanahmet is good! Their Beyti kebab is class. 

So many cool bars and places to eat in Istanbul, especially in the galata and karakoy area, which is easy to get to from old town. My advice would be to go to this area and will find loads depending on taste. 

If anyone gets a bit of time, take the ferry from karakoy to kadikoy! Means you get to see a bit of the asian side and the ferry is quick (20 mins) and and only costs like 50p. Kadikoy is great as well! "Victor levi sarap evi" great spot for food and drink.

6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Hi I’m also booked into the Senatus Hotel and would be keen to share taxi! I’m on the Wednesday flight from Edinburgh going back through Friday. 

Sent you a PM....still room for 2 more😁

will-i-am-a-jambo
19 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

looks like lots of fans basing themselves in the Old Town (Sultanahmet), plenty hotels in the area ......

10 hours ago, PapaShango said:

I’m in the Henna Hotel it was £155 for the 2 nights but plenty hotels in the vicinity of that one. 

Cheers guys, lve booked Istanbul Central Hotel for 3 nights for £53, says it's 1.1km from the centre. All the best Will

25 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Cheers guys, lve booked Istanbul Central Hotel for 3 nights for £53, says it's 1.1km from the centre. All the best Will

I swapped my hotel to a cheaper one just round the corner. Loads of hotels in that area at reasonable prices. 

Midloth_Iain
3 hours ago, McCrae said:

Istanbul has a few 'centres'.

If based in the old town (Sultanahmet) which is where the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia are, there are numerous restaurants and quite a few bars.

When I was there in May we ate at a place called Querencia, which was great food and reasonably priced.

Can also recommend a restaurant called Amedros.

Best pub we visited (have been a few times over the years) is called Just Bar, close to aforementioned Querencia.

The other main European 'centre' is between Galata Tower and Taksim Square but these are further away from where the stadium is situated.

Agree with @heartsjosh and he is an ex resident so will know more than me, but if only staying a couple of nights, my preference is Sultanahmet to give a taste of what to expect from a sightseeing point of view

Hagia Sophia Mosque - Istanbul Tour Studio – Istanbul Guide

Midloth_Iain
4 hours ago, heartsjosh said:

Spot on.

Been to Istanbul 5 x times and never had a problem.

Busy,chaotic, traffic is a nightmare and it is tiring just being in the city, but one of the greatest places I have ever been to.

A little apprehensive about the football aspect, particularly with the stadium being quite remote - hoping that there will be plenty options to get back to the city after the game.

14 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Spot on.

Busy,chaotic, traffic is a nightmare and it is tiring just being in the city, but one of the greatest places I have ever been to.

A little apprehensive about the football aspect, particularly with the stadium being quite remote - hoping that there will be plenty options to get back to the city after the game.

I know there were buses laid on at the Zurich game to the ground so maybe they will do something similar. If not maybe a few pre booked taxis with Hearts fans will help keep the cost down. 

15 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Spot on.

The city looks really cracking the more I look into it. Never somewhere I have ever thought about going before but must admit really looking forward to visiting. I think if you be sensible like in any other city then your less likely to run into any bother. 

Midloth_Iain
1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

I know there were buses laid on at the Zurich game to the ground so maybe they will do something similar. If not maybe a few pre booked taxis with Hearts fans will help keep the cost down. 

Thinking we might speak to our hotel and maybe arrange a minibus return as there will be 7-10 of us

3 hours ago, heartsjosh said:

if google maps says 10 minutes it will be, is a really hilly city though and obviously some really busy areas. 

In the old town where people seem to be staying, prices are a bit higher for food and obviously a bit more touristy. In general I never spend much time here, but Fuego in Sultanahmet is good! Their Beyti kebab is class. 

So many cool bars and places to eat in Istanbul, especially in the galata and karakoy area, which is easy to get to from old town. My advice would be to go to this area and will find loads depending on taste. 

If anyone gets a bit of time, take the ferry from karakoy to kadikoy! Means you get to see a bit of the asian side and the ferry is quick (20 mins) and and only costs like 50p. Kadikoy is great as well! "Victor levi sarap evi" great spot for food and drink.

Thanks

Getting together to get organised transport on match-day to and from the stadium could be pretty important and take a lot of pressure off. 

We should look at what options are available. If it was a Hampden trip in Scotland then we would be phoning Bus companies. 

Midloth_Iain
2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

The city looks really cracking the more I look into it. Never somewhere I have ever thought about going before but must admit really looking forward to visiting. I think if you be sensible like in any other city then your less likely to run into any bother. 

Bear in mind that the new Istanbul airport is a long way out of the city. Took us 90 minutes in a taxi.

Beautiful huge modern airport but a bastrd to get to/from 😏

25 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Istanbul has a few 'centres'.

If based in the old town (Sultanahmet) which is where the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia are, there are numerous restaurants and quite a few bars.

When I was there in May we ate at a place called Querencia, which was great food and reasonably priced.

Can also recommend a restaurant called Amedros.

Best pub we visited (have been a few times over the years) is called Just Bar, close to aforementioned Querencia.

The other main European 'centre' is between Galata Tower and Taksim Square but these are further away from where the stadium is situated.

Agree with @heartsjosh and he is an ex resident so will know more than me, but if only staying a couple of nights, my preference is Sultanahmet to give a taste of what to expect from a sightseeing point of view

Hagia Sophia Mosque - Istanbul Tour Studio – Istanbul Guide

Thanks… even more excited about the trip…an amazing picture.

Midloth_Iain

Found this on a Burnley fans forum , they played at Basaksehir a few years ago.

Might be an option for fans staying in Sultanahmet/

Hello all,
We are contacting to you with regards to your land arrangements needs, especiallyairport transfers & shuttle bus transfer to/from Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium for the game on 09 August 2018, Thursday. We are The DMC Istanbul, specialized in hosting football teams and related parties in Turkey for the international tournament games. Sorry if some of them are real rivals for you, in past we handled many supporters groups from the UK, Liverpool (1000 supporters) back in 2005 for the CL final, Leeds United, Tottenham, Bolton, Man United, Chelsea, St Johnstone.... If you look at our website http://www.thedmcistanbul.com/sports-tr ... ement.html you can see more details about our services.
Basaksehir stadium is far off city centre, such as Taksim square or Sultanahmet (old town) areas are within 30/35 kms distance. The kick off is at 21:45 so at the end of the game, public transportation from that area to city centre will not be an option. Considering the number of Burnley fans coming to the game, amount of taxis - sorry to say this but most of them will be asking more than taximeters' charge as it happens in every metropols - may not be enough at that time of the day.
As a travel agent, and we have dealt similar occasions in past, we would like to offer you city center - stadium - city center bus transfer services. If you want to book any services through us, please contact at [email protected] or on mobile 00905337085197
Wish you safe travel to Istanbul and good luck for the game, and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
Kind Regards,
Sinan Erkul

TK flights booked from Manchester , £307 with carry on bag.

Plenty hotel options it seems.

Italian Lambretta
9 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Found this on a Burnley fans forum , they played at Basaksehir a few years ago.

Might be an option for fans staying in Sultanahmet/

Hello all,
We are contacting to you with regards to your land arrangements needs, especiallyairport transfers & shuttle bus transfer to/from Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium for the game on 09 August 2018, Thursday. We are The DMC Istanbul, specialized in hosting football teams and related parties in Turkey for the international tournament games. Sorry if some of them are real rivals for you, in past we handled many supporters groups from the UK, Liverpool (1000 supporters) back in 2005 for the CL final, Leeds United, Tottenham, Bolton, Man United, Chelsea, St Johnstone.... If you look at our website http://www.thedmcistanbul.com/sports-tr ... ement.html you can see more details about our services.
Basaksehir stadium is far off city centre, such as Taksim square or Sultanahmet (old town) areas are within 30/35 kms distance. The kick off is at 21:45 so at the end of the game, public transportation from that area to city centre will not be an option. Considering the number of Burnley fans coming to the game, amount of taxis - sorry to say this but most of them will be asking more than taximeters' charge as it happens in every metropols - may not be enough at that time of the day.
As a travel agent, and we have dealt similar occasions in past, we would like to offer you city center - stadium - city center bus transfer services. If you want to book any services through us, please contact at [email protected] or on mobile 00905337085197
Wish you safe travel to Istanbul and good luck for the game, and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
Kind Regards,
Sinan Erkul

Maybe Hearts could help out with this once they get official numbers.

Theres a few of us staying at the Hotel Peninsula just round corner from the Just Bar.

2 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Maybe Hearts could help out with this once they get official numbers.

Theres a few of us staying at the Hotel Peninsula just round corner from the Just Bar.

That would be good to ask for the club(s) would help.

I’m also booked for old town area although chose a wee bit further out to get a room with air-con. 😊

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official ISTANBUL travel thread - buses being provided ( updated ) ***