***Official RIGA travel thread***

JimmyCant

alicante jambo
12 minutes ago, red said:

Alicante!!! What firm did you use to claim this? Me and my mate and son were on this flight! Was bloody dire in that airport lol

Go to the official riga travel thread and page 25 where jamboross has put a link. Just click on it mate but have your iban and sort code written down before you go onto the claim form. Yes it was brutal. Its possible we spoke to you so youll know how long we sat in there for lol. Im sure at 1 time they even locked some of us in there so the staff could go get a break. Good luck with this anyway.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• periodictabledancer

• We_are_the_Hearts

• alicante jambo

• graygo

alicante jambo
Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Cheers I claimed on Monday so hopefully hear soon

Well maybe thats why you have not heard. Mind there will be flight claims from all over no just ours. Maybe being the weekend too might take another few days? Sure youll be fine mate.

25 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Go to the official riga travel thread and page 25 where jamboross has put a link. Just click on it mate but have your iban and sort code written down before you go onto the claim form. Yes it was brutal. Its possible we spoke to you so youll know how long we sat in there for lol. Im sure at 1 time they even locked some of us in there so the staff could go get a break. Good luck with this anyway.

Yeah probably mate! We were in there since 5!! 

cheers mate 

9 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

How long ago did you claim?

Claimed on the bus back from the airport! So was less than a week from claim to money in account.

On 23/09/2022 at 14:10, mack515151 said:

An update on my claim with AirBaltic. As my delay was due to inustrial action in Paris they will not pay out the standard EU compensation as delay was outside their control (I expected them to say this). Above Kaunas flight was airlines fault. They will however send me £61 for hotel, and £20 for food. Both seem random numbers they generated and do not match my receipts.

So not too bad.

My travel insurance seems to have a clause for Strike related delays. Not much. £30 per 12 hours. So I am now claiming this (£60), and trying for other expenses. First claim rejected as only had evidence of a 24 hr late arrival home, and second claim in now as got an updated email today from AirBaltic confirming strike action was the cause. I await a decision.

I'm always worried when claiming in travel insurance that they will batter you for your next policy.

11 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

I'm always worried when claiming in travel insurance that they will batter you for your next policy.

Agreed. Always a risk. But hopefully a small risk. I've only ever claimed on travel insurance once before and that was on a policy that was part of a packaged account so made no difference, the monthly fee stayed the same. I recently closed that account.

This is first time in years I am on a joint policy with girlfriend. So that splits any increase 😃

21 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Updated on other thread that travel insurance have now advised they will send me £120 within 5 days (more than I expected). Doubt any policy increase will be near that. I can always change company if they do try it on.

54 minutes ago, mack515151 said:

Updated on other thread that travel insurance have now advised they will send me £120 within 5 days (more than I expected). Doubt any policy increase will be near that. I can always change company if they do try it on.

You can but you would still need to declare your previous claim or the policy would be void. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

You can but you would still need to declare your previous claim or the policy would be void. 

Agreed.

I'm happy I got some dosh now. Will see if impacted down the road at renewal time. My guess is minimal increase.

2 minutes ago, mack515151 said:

Agreed.

I'm happy I got some dosh now. Will see if impacted down the road at renewal time. My guess is minimal increase.

It's not a big claim and your likely not claiming every year so I agree. 👍

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Unlike say car insurance they don't ask about previous claims. Paid us approx 10k for the wife having her gall bladder removed in Tenerife in January but I've never been asked on the other 2 policies I've taken out since.

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I once claimed for a break in to my own home in Lincoln.  Then for the next five years landlord insurance for another rental place in Cupar was increased substantially as I had made a claim. Even though it was for a completely different property and type of insurance I had to declare the fact that an insurance claim had been made. Robbing barstewards always come out on top. Though as others have said, maybe not with travel insurance. Enjoy the cash bud.

Edited by Gorgierools

5 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Unlike say car insurance they don't ask about previous claims. Paid us approx 10k for the wife having her gall bladder removed in Tenerife in January but I've never been asked on the other 2 policies I've taken out since.

Mine certainly asks and they do share information on cue. Of course it's a risk based business and, like life assurance  companies that don't ask health questions, the premiums won't necessarily be cheapest and already include a general risk factor. 

They all know how to keep the money rolling in. It was suggested that when the fixed level delay amounts for 3hr+ dealys came in such as the Kaunas flight qualifies for, that air travel prices would increase to cover this. So all travellers would pay a little more, but if delayed you would be compensated significantly and easily. No idea if this happened but doubt I would have noticed unless media flagged it up.

Lets hope Florence and Istanbul are hassle free travel but sharing knowledge on types of claims we can make defo makes sense.

34 minutes ago, mack515151 said:

They all know how to keep the money rolling in. It was suggested that when the fixed level delay amounts for 3hr+ dealys came in such as the Kaunas flight qualifies for, that air travel prices would increase to cover this. So all travellers would pay a little more, but if delayed you would be compensated significantly and easily. No idea if this happened but doubt I would have noticed unless media flagged it up.

Lets hope Florence and Istanbul are hassle free travel but sharing knowledge on types of claims we can make defo makes sense.

What flight were you on that got cancelled?  We were on the Riga CDG with Baltic Friday afternoon, then CDG to Edinburgh with Air France Friday evening.  It was the CDG to Edinburgh that was cancelled.  Stayed in airport hotel Friday night and was lucky enough to get Easy Jet to Glasgow Saturday morning.   Claim submitted last Sunday via Air France website.  Will keep you posted.

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

3 policies this year? You need to look at getting annual cover mate.

25 minutes ago, Trained One said:

What flight were you on that got cancelled?  We were on the Riga CDG with Baltic Friday afternoon, then CDG to Edinburgh with Air France Friday evening.  It was the CDG to Edinburgh that was cancelled.  Stayed in airport hotel Friday night and was lucky enough to get Easy Jet to Glasgow Saturday morning.   Claim submitted last Sunday via Air France website.  Will keep you posted.

I was supposed to be on the stupidly early flight out of Riga to Paris at 07:25 on the Fri. That was cancelled. AirBaltic 691. I had a AF connection but inital cancellation was AirBaltic.

So my claim was direct to AirBaltic. They would not pay the fixed amount compensation under EU261 (€400 I think for a over 1,500km journey within EU) as was strike related and so not their fault. I submitted hotel and food receipts and the said they would refund £61 for hotel and £20 for food as an act of good faith (I was surprised they paid anything). AF may or may not pay you compo. I doubt they will pay under EU261 or the post Brexit version in pounds (moneysaving expert has a page on this pounds if in or out of UK, or UK airline I think) as was strike related (I am guessing). You could see if your travel insurance has a strike delay related section. I needed so send my insurance an email from AirBaltic confirming cancellation reason to get them to pay out. Also sent them receipts. They paid £120 (this seemed more than policy suggested which was nice).

As per above up to you if you also try your insurance as may possibly future costs for cover.

Good luck I hope AF do an act of good faith.

Cheers

13 minutes ago, mack515151 said:

I was supposed to be on the stupidly early flight out of Riga to Paris at 07:25 on the Fri. That was cancelled. AirBaltic 691. I had a AF connection but inital cancellation was AirBaltic.

So my claim was direct to AirBaltic. They would not pay the fixed amount compensation under EU261 (€400 I think for a over 1,500km journey within EU) as was strike related and so not their fault. I submitted hotel and food receipts and the said they would refund £61 for hotel and £20 for food as an act of good faith (I was surprised they paid anything). AF may or may not pay you compo. I doubt they will pay under EU261 or the post Brexit version in pounds (moneysaving expert has a page on this pounds if in or out of UK, or UK airline I think) as was strike related (I am guessing). You could see if your travel insurance has a strike delay related section. I needed so send my insurance an email from AirBaltic confirming cancellation reason to get them to pay out. Also sent them receipts. They paid £120 (this seemed more than policy suggested which was nice).

As per above up to you if you also try your insurance as may possibly future costs for cover.

Good luck I hope AF do an act of good faith.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

Did Air Baltic get you home, or how did you get home?

We sorted our own travel and accommodation.  Presume you will also get the cost of the cancelled flight returned.  Will have a wee look at my trave insurance depending on the outcome with Air France. 

The joys of following Hearts in Europe.

I had just arrived in Riga on the Thursday and was starting a late lunch when AirBaltic emailed that I was cancelled for the Friday flight.

They said they would email later with options or I could call them.

I called them straight away and asked for alternative flights home to Edinburgh. 

The guy who picked up the call was great. He spent 10 mins trying to find a Friday way home. I said so many fans travelling an Edinburgh route might be tricky on Fri. So he checked Sat and offered Riga to Helsinki AirBaltic, Helsinki to Stockholm on Finnair, then Stockholm to Edinburgh on SAS. No extra cost to me. I agreed to that as guessed there would not be many options. I forgot to ask about if they would cover a hotel or food on that call as was more interested in enjoying Riga and glad I had a route home sorted and an extra day in Riga to enjoy.

As you sorted own travel, I guess you get (ask for) the cancelled flight cost refunded. Not sure they would cover your Easyjet flight. I think I did that before when cancelled in Krakow and the Ryanair desk queue was massive so we just booked Easyjet ourselves. Then got Ryanair refund. Unfortunately last min Easyjet cost more than Ryanair refunded but that was our choice to get home quicker.

I guess Paris was crazy with so many cancellations so swooping in to sort your own flight was prob wise. Other option would have been to try to get AF to sort you but that might have taken hours.

Good luck in getting some compo.

Then I just had to get AirBaltic app on phone (KLM app worked on way out as first flight was KLM) and used same booking ref. Then I could checkin for all new flights home. Got PDF boarding passes on phone, but also got printed boarding passes at Riga airport as phone battery a bit dodgy.

Seemed quite simple in the end but was an initial stress.

I think it can be trickier to get compo if you do not try to speak to airline when cancelled (just my view, but realise it can be a pain). Can also impact connecting flights.

I once had a flight cancelled to London, but next flight to Paris was still on. Another sporting day when all I could get was via London.

Queue at airline desk was huge asking about options so I just booked a flight to London with a different airline. Then tried to get connection. They assumed I was a no show. I had to argue my case and was allowed to board. Seemed a bit weird at the time.

I did get refunded for the first cancelled flight and made the match the next day.

2 hours ago, mack515151 said:

Some of the flights quoted recently must've cost the carriers heaps of £££s.

For sure, they will re-coup such costs on future flights. They're no daft!

I had a wee chuckle that some of our fans suffered interminable delays but resulted in a +ve bank balance. 😆 It all adds to the overall experience of an away trip.

Always claim. Always.

A

On 23/09/2022 at 07:33, alicante jambo said:

Just been sent confirmation we shall be compensated 700 pounds for our delayed flight. If youve no claimed its simple. There were plenty jambos on that flight so spread the word.

Apologies but you don’t have the email, am just off the phone with RyanAir & they are claiming it was 2hr 57. Clearly wasn’t but just would like to go back to explain others are receiving payment for same flight! 

thanks

8 minutes ago, Official_AB said:

A

Apologies but you don’t have the email, am just off the phone with RyanAir & they are claiming it was 2hr 57. Clearly wasn’t but just would like to go back to explain others are receiving payment for same flight! 

thanks

They regularly pull the time of landing line. The clock stops when the doors open. They're chances. Keep trying.

alicante jambo
1 hour ago, Official_AB said:

A

thanks

Hi AB 100% received email and already been paid into bank account. Yes it was 2h57 but we were well past the 3 hours before they opened the plane doors. Send me a pm and i will try show you the email i received and the payment juat to show im no lying. Keep at them mate inever had any probs.

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, graygo said:

3 policies this year? You need to look at getting annual cover mate.

I know, after we bought the static van we just intended holidaying at home but the lure of the sun is too much. 2nd holiday was to make up for the time the Mrs spent in hospital in Tenerife.

We_are_the_Hearts
On 25/09/2022 at 14:34, Official_AB said:

A

thanks

What number did you phone them on?

37 minutes ago, gogs54 said:

OAB and W.A.T.H did you not receive this email

34EBD8BE-7689-422A-A1AE-888240174558.jpeg

I got that email when I submitted my claim and had the money in my account a few days ago but I submitted the claim within half an hour of stepping off the plane so was likely near the front of the queue. Seems there was multiple delays across their network on the day of the Kaunas flight so it's probably just taking them a wee while to work through everyone. Their website does say its usually taken care of within 10 working days, it's only been 6 and a half since the flight so I wouldn't worry, you'll get the cash eventually.

If anyone is struggling to gets the money off them then here is my email with confirmation my claim has been accepted. Can try showing them it as proof they've paid out to others on the flight. 

Screenshot_20220927-112421_Gmail.jpg

Good news that money is flowing in for some and hopefully eventually for all from Ryanair.

For my strike impacted flight my £120 from my travel insurance has hit my account. AirBaltic said within 25 working days for their good faith payment of £81 so not expecting that soon.

6 minutes ago, LouReed said:

After receiving the email yesterday morning stating my claim had been approved, I got the money in my account this afternoon.

Nice 🎉

On 25/09/2022 at 12:40, mack515151 said:

I had just arrived in Riga on the Thursday and was starting a late lunch when AirBaltic emailed that I was cancelled for the Friday flight.

They said they would email later with options or I could call them.

I called them straight away and asked for alternative flights home to Edinburgh. 

The guy who picked up the call was great. He spent 10 mins trying to find a Friday way home. I said so many fans travelling an Edinburgh route might be tricky on Fri. So he checked Sat and offered Riga to Helsinki AirBaltic, Helsinki to Stockholm on Finnair, then Stockholm to Edinburgh on SAS. No extra cost to me. I agreed to that as guessed there would not be many options. I forgot to ask about if they would cover a hotel or food on that call as was more interested in enjoying Riga and glad I had a route home sorted and an extra day in Riga to enjoy.

As you sorted own travel, I guess you get (ask for) the cancelled flight cost refunded. Not sure they would cover your Easyjet flight. I think I did that before when cancelled in Krakow and the Ryanair desk queue was massive so we just booked Easyjet ourselves. Then got Ryanair refund. Unfortunately last min Easyjet cost more than Ryanair refunded but that was our choice to get home quicker.

I guess Paris was crazy with so many cancellations so swooping in to sort your own flight was prob wise. Other option would have been to try to get AF to sort you but that might have taken hours.

Good luck in getting some compo.

Thanks for the update, Mack,

Still pending with Air France.  If I get no joy, I will go down the insurance route.

Well done to all the others in getting compo...all the more beer tokens for Florence.

26 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Got an e-mail from air Baltic confirming that 350 will be paid into my account within 15 days 

What flight did you have cancelled Nucky?

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Trained One said:

What flight did you have cancelled Nucky?

My Air Baltic from Gatwick to Riga was delayed 5 hours 

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

My Air Baltic from Gatwick to Riga was delayed 5 hours 

So I think you got the fixed amount as delay was 3hrs+ and airlines fault? Nice.

Some cancellations not airlines fault (Paris strike for me) so trickier to get compo.