Player ratings vs Dundee United

Hansel

Boyce well off it today. I value what he brings to the team as that link playing 10, but every pass fizzed in to him today, he lost. Touch was non existent. Successes all round. As for Devlin,  he's great when we don't have possession,  his workrate and attitude are spot on. The number of times he breaks down play or regains possession is phenomenal. There is a but tho'. He just doesn't have the vision or quality of pass to dictate play when we have the ball. Passes are backwards or sideways. Or he slows things down. I want a midfielder to be able to pick out a pass, like Halkett did for the 1st goal. That's where we are lacking at the moment. Think Grant has that in his game. Thought things improved when Haring came on & Grant played more advanced. Having Haring sitting, frees up both Devlin & Grant in my view. Felt we could have went up a gear today and won comfortably without needing to. Rowles MOM for me. Some great blocks, always looks calm but has a bit of dig when needed. Great acquisition. 

RustyRightPeg
30 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Bizarre. Devlin was excellent throughout. 

Yeah it’s weird. Devlin’s game is to win it back and pass it to someone technically better. I understand 2 or 3 times today he maybe went sideways instead of potentially forcing a pass through the lines, which we’d tried and failed a few times. 

You wouldn’t see Chelsea fans screaming out for Kante to play 40-50 diags. 

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yeah it’s weird. Devlin’s game is to win it back and pass it to someone technically better. I understand 2 or 3 times today he maybe went sideways instead of potentially forcing a pass through the lines, which we’d tried and failed a few times. 

You wouldn’t see Chelsea fans screaming out for Kante to play 40-50 diags. 

Exactly, Dundee Utd were playing a diamond in midfield so we had to get the ball wide. The problem was it was all a bit laboured first half but that certainly wasn’t down to Devlin. 

Libertonian_II
2 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Boyce well off it today. I value what he brings to the team as that link playing 10, but every pass fizzed in to him today, he lost. Touch was non existent. Successes all round. As for Devlin,  he's great when we don't have possession,  his workrate and attitude are spot on. The number of times he breaks down play or regains possession is phenomenal. There is a but tho'. He just doesn't have the vision or quality of pass to dictate play when we have the ball. Passes are backwards or sideways. Or he slows things down. I want a midfielder to be able to pick out a pass, like Halkett did for the 1st goal. That's where we are lacking at the moment. Think Grant has that in his game. Thought things improved when Haring came on & Grant played more advanced. Having Haring sitting, frees up both Devlin & Grant in my view. Felt we could have went up a gear today and won comfortably without needing to. Rowles MOM for me. Some great blocks, always looks calm but has a bit of dig when needed. Great acquisition. 

That's how I saw it. MotM however, for me, was Halkett

Broxburn Jambo

I know that Boyce Didn't have a great day, but a fair number of passes to him were when he had a man right on him I wonder if he got one ''man on'' shout at any time. and even a couple were hospital passes.

3 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

I know that Boyce Didn't have a great day, but a fair number of passes to him were when he had a man right on him I wonder if he got one ''man on'' shout at any time. and even a couple were hospital passes.

Tbf I thought there were a right few passes played into the forwards that really shouldn't have been ... just poor choices really. This was first half.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Subs - nothing that stood out but nothing bad either 3 points each.

Scoring the 4th goal stood out for one of the subs? Worth a 5 surely 😂

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Rowles 9 - stopped a certain goal, has a range of passes and overall very steady

Shankland 8 - I didn't appreciate how hard he works. He must be creating a lot of the space for others

Devlin 6 - credit for playing 90 minutes but needs to improve his passing. Put us in trouble a few times. 

Overall an 8 out of ten which is an improvement from last season where I rated Hearts overall 6 out of 10.

No way devlin was a 6 

msn of the match for me 

Seaside Dave

Gordon 7

Smith 7

Halkett 7

Rowles 7

Cochrane 7

Forrest 7

Devlin 7

Grant 8

Boyce 5

Mckay 9

Shankland 8

1 hour ago, stevie1874 said:

In my opinion he is and he certainly was today. 

He had a poor game by his standards but he is hugely important. Wonder why just about every opposing fan and manager thinks he is ? Hmmm

1 hour ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

Yip. 

Gordon 7

Smith 8

Halkett 7

Rowles 8

Cochrane 7

Forrest 6

Devlin 6

Grant 7

Boyce 4

Mckay 8

Shankland 8

Haring 7

Ginnelly 6

McK- Steven 6

Halliday 3

Kingsley 4

Edited by colinmaroon

2 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

No problem, mate, just shows how we all see things differently. Mind you, I do wonder about a stats system that gives United an overall rating of 6.70, a gnat's chuff behind the 6.75 given to a Hearts side that's just comprehensively tubbed them. :lol:

It also gives the goalkeeper a 7.8 after handing Grant a goal! I’d hope it gets checked again later as they almost certain sky don’t enter all the data correctly while the match is happening live.

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Gordon 7 Flapped at a cross but otherwise safe as houses 

Smith 8 His best game for a year

Halkett 8 excellent throughout 

Rowles 7 settling well

Cochrane 7 another good solid performance

Devlin 7. Busied up the midfield. Improves us

Grant 8 better looking further forward. Great second half

Mackay 8 superb goal and a really good game

Boyce 5. Weak link today. Nothing came off. Poor first touch at least 6 times in good positions

Forrest 6 hot and cold sort of game. Not up to speed yet

Shankland 9 MOTM. Such a difference to have a good front man who knows what he is doing.

Subs - nothing that stood out but nothing bad either 3 points each.

Think that’s about right. 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

He had a poor game by his standards but he is hugely important. Wonder why just about every opposing fan and manager thinks he is ? Hmmm

Hmmm, let’s just agree to disagree. Opposing fans & managers don’t watch him every week. Let’s just hope he ups his game but since Shankland is our main striker I think minutes on the pitch for Boyce will be limited

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Rowles 9 - stopped a certain goal, has a range of passes and overall very steady

Shankland 8 - I didn't appreciate how hard he works. He must be creating a lot of the space for others

Devlin 6 - credit for playing 90 minutes but needs to improve his passing. Put us in trouble a few times. 

Overall an 8 out of ten which is an improvement from last season where I rated Hearts overall 6 out of 10.

Strange that Devlin was your choice today for a poor passer. There was at least three other players who had worse games than him passing wise. JMO.

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He did so that must be one pass he completed all game. 

That’s not true though is it?

5 hours ago, hearts 4 the cup said:

No denying that he was well off it today but he’s nowhere near as bad as some of our support make out. Thought he was very good at ER last week

Theres a massive overreaction one way or the other to everything Boyce does, it’s proper wierd.

He wasn’t at it yesterday but agree very good last week & good off the bench the week prior he’ll have other great games and probably other poor ones. Nothing else to it, it’s football.

10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He did so that must be one pass he completed all game. 

In 115 minute of football this season , he has over 80% passing accuracy. 60 of his 72 passes have completed. 

You saying he jammed the other 59 successful passes into the 25 minutes of game time prior to yesterday? That’s almost three a minute. Think folk might have noticed. 

Edited by CMc

24 minutes ago, CMc said:

In 115 minute of football this season , he has over 80% passing accuracy. 60 of his 72 passes have completed. 

You saying he jammed the other 59 successful passes into the 25 minutes of game time prior to yesterday? That’s almost three a minute. Think folk might have noticed. 

Uncle Buck is getting auld, snoozed his way through the 60 completed passes, and only woke up occasionally to see the other 12.

Bless him ...

upgotheheads
13 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Boyce was poor today. He looked a couple of yards off of it and was rightly taken off.

Other than that I don’t think anyone was below a 7. 

13 hours ago, GinRummy said:

They all done well, although Boyce wasn’t brilliant. 8s all round with 9;s for Shankland, Halkett, Smith, Rowles and McKay. 

12 hours ago, Homme said:

Boyce had an absolute mare today. Folk saying they don't know what has happened to him etc...he was brilliant in the Derby. One of those days today but not once did he hide. 

12 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

he was unlucky. Had a lot of balls played to him at speed and was unfortunate.  He is a vital cog in our wheel

6 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Theres a massive overreaction one way or the other to everything Boyce does, it’s proper wierd.

He wasn’t at it yesterday but agree very good last week & good off the bench the week prior he’ll have other great games and probably other poor ones. Nothing else to it, it’s football.

Boyce is an enigma. He has so much talent with the ball at his feet that we expect to see something special every time, and it's just not going to happen. Yesterday was his poorest game of the season so far but that doesn't mean he's past his best.  We are probably the biggest team he's played for, so you have to wonder why bigger teams haven't signed him.

It seems to me that he's so aware of the where his opponents weight and point of balance are that he's always trying to finesse beating his man to the point of overdoing sometimes, and when it doesn't come off he has a poor game like yesterday. I doubt he'll start on Thursday because losing possession cheaply will be a big problem  away from home, so we'll will likely see Grant, Devlin and Haring together in the team.