TV deal/Neil Doncaster ( merged )

Newton51

1 minute ago, Jamboross said:

Thing is, they probably wouldn't lose that many. Sad fact is so many Scottish folk are more interested in being armchair fans of Liverpool/Chelsea/Barcelona/Bayern etc, their Scottish teams are almost an afterthought. I was at the Brechin vs Hibs U21 game last night (mates family member plays for Brechin so I tagged along) and all folk were talking about were the Premier League games from the weekend, not the game in front of them, not the Derby, but how much of a baller Kulusevski at Spurs is. I think Sky look upon covering Scottish football almost as a charitable donation, there's only one fixture they actually want. 

I would LOVE us to go down this route but sadly once you include the set up costs and ongoing production etc which we obviously don't pay with a Sky or BT deal I'm not sure how viable it actually is. 300k paying £15 a month on top of their Sky/BT/Netflix/Disney subsctiptions is probably not going to happen especially in the current economic climate. 

Lets test it. 

Part of the burn the ****ing house down plan is that you don't need to bother about what happens after. If they lose some, great, if people feel so aggrieved at their robbery of Scottish football they cancel in solidarity, all the better. 

Tell them to go **** themselves in the most aggressive, direct and insulting public statement and launch our own streaming service. 

**** Sky. 

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• OTT

• Pasquale for King

• Smoked-Glass

jamboinglasgow

So we are giving Sky lots for the sake of £5m more a season. Not even speaking to other broadcasters as we want a quick deal. We need new people to negotiate for Scottish football as the current ones are terrible.

3 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Thing is, they probably wouldn't lose that many. Sad fact is so many Scottish folk are more interested in being armchair fans of Liverpool/Chelsea/Barcelona/Bayern etc, their Scottish teams are almost an afterthought. I was at the Brechin vs Hibs U21 game last night (mates family member plays for Brechin so I tagged along) and all folk were talking about were the Premier League games from the weekend, not the game in front of them, not the Derby, but how much of a baller Kulusevski at Spurs is. I think Sky look upon covering Scottish football almost as a charitable donation, there's only one fixture they actually want. 

I would LOVE us to go down this route but sadly once you include the set up costs and ongoing production etc which we obviously don't pay with a Sky or BT deal I'm not sure how viable it actually is. 300k paying £15 a month on top of their Sky/BT/Netflix/Disney subsctiptions is probably not going to happen especially in the current economic climate. 

We would need to look for a sponsor to have their name on the new set up to cover start up costs ……….. not some tin pot Cinch piss

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

So we are giving Sky lots for the sake of £5m more a season. Not even speaking to other broadcasters as we want a quick deal. We need new people to negotiate for Scottish football as the current ones are terrible.

Said it on another thread. Doncaster has his hand in Sky’s cookie jar.

Or if it’s not that, they’ve got Max Mosley-esque material on him 

Edited by Byyy The Light

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

100%

Considering the magnitude of the deal for Scottish clubs finances, why are we not sending a delegation? I find it very difficult to accept that Ann Budge, Douglas Park, Dave Cormack or even Ron Gordon would come back with such a shite deal. 

Its an insult to the fans that follow their team week in week out at significant financial cost. 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

With a bit of luck, said cookie jar will contain some Novichok and the corrupt ******* will whimper his way to a befitting end.

I can't even post what I think of him, nor what I hope happens to him and his break lines. 

The man is the abuser of Scottish football. He takes an gigantic salary whilst keeping the clubs he kids on he works for dirt poor and the league totally ****ed. 

I wish nothing but pain and misery on him. 

Also, you can sub out abuser for something much worse. 

Always find it mind boggling that so many on here blame Sky. 

It's genuinely not Sky's fault the game in Scotland is a joke league.

Sky doesn't employ the idiots running the game, doesn't employ the referees that ruin the game and ultimately give us the small change we receive as there's nobody else touching the abysmal product.  

Wonder why the world watches, adores and pumps billions of pounds into the EPL, that's not Sky either btw. 

It's called having a superb product and marketing it properly by intelligent people looking after their stakeholders.

The opposite of what happens in Scotland. 

Footballfirst
47 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

So currently up to 48 games at £25.7m, or in otherwords £535,516 per game if they show them all. 

Proposted new deal up to 60 games at £29.5m or £491,666 per game. 

The headline figure might be bigger but I fail to see how this is actually a better deal. Get them to ****. 

You overstate that value per game.  While then Sky contract allows them to broadcast 48 games live, they also prevent the SPFL/clubs from selling secondary rights for the non televised games, i.e. PPV in the UK market. Sky therefore hold rights over all 228 games per season (broadcast or no broadcast).

During the Covid period with zero, or reduced capacity, clubs were allowed to broadcast on their own channels on a PPV basis. That has now stopped and clubs have to limit themselves to audio coverage for their UK audience.

At least the proposed deal recognises that there is a market for the non televised games.  

It's still a crap deal though.

Just now, Bull's-eye said:

Sky doesn't employ the idiots running the game, doesn't employ the referees that ruin the game and ultimately give us the small change we receive as there's nobody else touching the abysmal product.  

Wonder why the world watches, adores and pumps billions of pounds into the EPL, that's not Sky either btw. 

It's called having a superb product and marketing it properly by intelligent people looking after their stakeholders.

The product can only improve if the teams are better and the teams can only be better if they can pay for decent players 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

The product can only improve if the teams are better and the teams can only be better if they can pay for decent players 

There is a 100 things that could be done to improve the product. The  whole set up has been Shit for decades with nobody willing to change anything. Nothing evolves, nothing.

There is zero appetite by any of the clubs to push the game forward. 

Rory Mcilroy
4 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Re subs, I don't think the worldwide appeal should be underestimated either. There's the ex pat audience, plus the OF do have a lot of non-Scots fans around the world (🤮

At the very minimum the viability should be properly looked into. Hopefully this deloitte report will dig a bit further at least. 

Glamorgan Jambo

The deal looks absolutely atrocious to be honest. The days of these all encompassing exclusive TV deals should be well in the past. 

Suring the Championship season I paid £18 to watch every home match on PPV. Last season I paid £15 a match for all the non Sky games bar a couple (the 3pm blackout doesn’t apply in Wales)

on the opening day I paid £0 to watch the Ross County game (the stream only became watchable in the second half) and this Sunday if I can I’ll also pay £0 for the Dundee Utd game.

I can’t understand the need to rush this through when the broadcast landscape is so utterly changed. We are losing money that folks like me would happily pay to watch the home games. And yes I know Sky are making a small PPV ‘concession’.

Stop the rush and bin this proposal. 

John Findlay

I wonder if Dungcaster has taken Lawell to hold his hand again?

I really hope clubs have the balls to say no to this absolutely pathetic broadcasting deal.

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

You are spot on. It’s the complete incompetence of the SPFL board and shit baggery of the majority of club owners in this country. Sky must just piss themselves laughing at the meeting. 

Just now, Bull's-eye said:

There is a 100 things that could be done to improve the product. The  whole set up has been Shit for decades with nobody willing to change anything. Nothing evolves, nothing.

There is zero appetite by any of the clubs to push the game forward. 

I agree with that of course but ……… you could have the best promotions people on the planet in Doncaster’s job but with out the cash then the product will not improve

We need money comparable with other European leagues or all the marketing in the world will not make the teams more sellable

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I wonder if Dungcaster has taken Lawell to hold his hand again?

I really hope clubs have the balls to say no to this absolutely pathetic broadcasting deal.

You would hope.

Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are all financially strong enough to say no hopefully. 

Rangers want Doncaster gone anyway, so heres hoping an opportunity presents to oust the nonce looking creep. 

John Findlay
Just now, OTT said:

You would hope.

Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are all financially strong enough to say no hopefully. 

Rangers want Doncaster gone anyway, so heres hoping an opportunity presents to oust the nonce looking creep. 

Let's hope so, but we have to ensure Sevco and Celtic don't carve up more of what is a very small pie for themselves. Clubs like ourselves really do have to stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I agree with that of course but ……… you could have the best promotions people on the planet in Doncaster’s job but with out the cash then the product will not improve

We need money comparable with other European leagues or all the marketing in the world will not make the teams more sellable

This isn't a new thing, this is 40+ years of short sighted self interest. 

Smoked-Glass

See if you buy sky you get your great awesome premiership, championship and international qualifers plus a load of other sports (cricket, non ppv boxing, golf, etc..)

Even without the Scottish prem in there it's no bad for about £30 a month. Note that isn't £30 per person, it's £30 per household, so even more value if it's for dad and the kids for example.

Throw in the spfl and it gets even better.

People won't be cancelling their sky.  

7 minutes ago, Jibbers said:

Who can actually terminate that muppet Doncaster’s contract? Is it the SPFL board? It really has to happen.

It would take 11 votes from the Premiership clubs so until he stops doing exactly what the old firm and the majority of clubs want him too then there is no chance 

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It would take 11 votes from the Premiership clubs so until he stops doing exactly what the old firm and the majority of clubs want him too then there is no chance 

Keep putting the vote forward and flatly refuse to vote anything through until he’s gone. When no one can get anything done, I’m sure any clubs left backing him will stand aside. 

If Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen could act as a block vote on that then something would have to give. 

15 minutes ago, Jibbers said:

Who can actually terminate that muppet Doncaster’s contract? Is it the SPFL board? It really has to happen.

I’m surprised there’s not been an organised fans against Doncaster type protest yet. Maybe someone a lot more influential than me could start it… maybe all the podcast guys from the teams get together, he has to go he’s killing the game.

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Keep putting the vote forward and flatly refuse to vote anything through until he’s gone. When no one can get anything done, I’m sure any clubs left backing him will stand aside. 

If Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen could act as a block vote on that then something would have to give. 

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

I’m surprised there’s not been an organised fans against Doncaster type protest yet. Maybe someone a lot more influential than me could start it… maybe all the podcast guys from the teams get together, he has to go he’s killing the game.

When there was a vote to end the season prematurely to protect Celtics interests the clubs all formed an orderly queue to pay tribute

This sort of thing needs to come from the fans forcing their clubs hands ………. I assume you all saw the Hibs and Aberdeen fans repeating how happy they were with Doncasters leadership ?

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

20220811_205351.jpg

Two things. Firstly we're 8th 9th in coefficient but 15th in terms of dosh. So bang goes the "but the product is shite theory"

Secondly this would mean more with viewing figures attached. I'll bet theyd be revealing

When there was a vote to end the season prematurely to protect Celtics interests the clubs all formed an orderly queue to pay tribute

This sort of thing needs to come from the fans forcing their clubs hands ………. I assume you all saw the Hibs and Aberdeen fans repeating how happy they were with Doncasters leadership ?

Well, we’re fan owned so come the AGM I presume someone has the right to ask questions around the competency of the SPFL/Doncaster and a desire to hold them accountable? 

If McKinlay is willing to give Doncaster any credit, he should need to justify that to the fans. 

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Well, we’re fan owned so come the AGM I presume someone has the right to ask questions around the competency of the SPFL/Doncaster and a desire to hold them accountable? 

If McKinlay is willing to give Doncaster any credit, he should need to justify that to the fans. 

I seriously doubt any one at Hearts is happy with Doncaster ………… sadly we have been cast as the panto villain and all the other clubs hate us as much as the old firm ………. Some hate us more than Celtic 

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

As happy as they were at that time I’m fairly certain every teams fans would get on board getting rid of this guy. He has zero commercial acumen, no interest in the game progressing, it’s embarrassing for any clubs owners/board that they allow this to continue.

Fly the Saltire

Streaming is the future of all sports and SFPL should be telling Sky to wait until other offers are considered.  Viaplay, which has all the Nordic premier league football rights and is a leading streaming organisation, has taken over Premier Sports and could be interested in acquiring Scottish League football. They pay £65million year for Norwegian rights and Norway’s teams do not have the international expat appeal of Scottish game in Australia, New Zealand , USA etc.

From Swiss Ramble analysis of Hearts Accounts

There was a new 5-year Scottish TV deal with Sky Sports worth £30m (€34m) a year from 2020/21 (up from £25m), but this is not going to move the needle by much. It’s still much lower than Poland Ekstraklasa €58m & Belgium Jupiler League €83m, let alone Premier League €3.6 billion.   

[Things would be better if we were independent or even if broadcasting was devolved as BBC (including Scottish licence fee payers) pay over £30 million a year for FA Cup rights and £70 million a year for Match of the Day but only pay a total of £3 million for all Scottish football coverage.]

Given that the English Championship receives £119 m a year the Scottish game should be worth between £50m and £60m and EFL is not a better product from what I have seen.   Extending our league would not improve Hearts finances and would mean far more meaningless games.

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

As happy as they were at that time I’m fairly certain every teams fans would get on board getting rid of this guy. He has zero commercial acumen, no interest in the game progressing, it’s embarrassing for any clubs owners/board that they allow this to continue.

Celtic would want to keep him and I presume their fans would too ……… Hibs fans ? Aberdeen ? 

you have more faith in these people than I .

5 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

Streaming is the future of all sports and SFPL should be telling Sky to wait until other offers are considered.  Viaplay, which has all the Nordic premier league football rights and is a leading streaming organisation, has taken over Premier Sports and could be interested in acquiring Scottish League football. They pay £65million year for Norwegian rights and Norway’s teams do not have the international expat appeal of Scottish game in Australia, New Zealand , USA etc.

From Swiss Ramble analysis of Hearts Accounts

There was a new 5-year Scottish TV deal with Sky Sports worth £30m (€34m) a year from 2020/21 (up from £25m), but this is not going to move the needle by much. It’s still much lower than Poland Ekstraklasa €58m & Belgium Jupiler League €83m, let alone Premier League €3.6 billion.   

[Things would be better if we were independent or even if broadcasting was devolved as BBC (including Scottish licence fee payers) pay over £30 million a year for FA Cup rights and £70 million a year for Match of the Day but only pay a total of £3 million for all Scottish football coverage.]

Given that the English Championship receives £119 m a year the Scottish game should be worth between £50m and £60m and EFL is not a better product from what I have seen.   Extending our league would not improve Hearts finances and would mean far more meaningless games.

A good analysis but it mentions independence or devolving from the UK so it will be slated

Celtic would want to keep him and I presume their fans would too ……… Hibs fans ? Aberdeen ? 

you have more faith in these people than I .

I’m sure Celtic would I don’t know about their fans I guess that would depend on Rangers fans, they wouldn’t want to be seen supporting the same cause no matter how little sense that makes.

Hibs and Aberdeen absolutely would this isn’t about petty point scoring it’s about bringing more money into your club.

jamboinglasgow

The only thing going for Sky is that its the pay service which has most subscribers (not streaming) in this country so means that its not another amount that people to pay.

But it has made clear for years that it sees Scottish football as second class. It shows little respect, often gets team badges wrong on Sky Sports News, saw an advert about lots of live football it will show, there was 5 different leagues it said it had, despite showing the SPFL premiership badge, it showed no Scottish football footage in the advert. It showed the other 4. If BT has offered a comparable amount for Scottish football we should have gone for them.

To me it all smacks of the problem Scottish football has had with TV deals, chairmen are scared of missing out on tv income so accept an offer that is passable rather than push out for more.

Just now, Rudy T said:

I’m sure Celtic would I don’t know about their fans I guess that would depend on Rangers fans, they wouldn’t want to be seen supporting the same cause no matter how little sense that makes.

Hibs and Aberdeen absolutely would this isn’t about petty point scoring it’s about bringing more money into your club.

it would take a massive about turn from the praise they heaped up on him for the ending the season deal ……… Doncaster and Celtic would employ the same tactic as then they would get all the other clubs to greet about being held to ransom and their existence being threatened if we do not take this best possible deal 

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

it would take a massive about turn from the praise they heaped up on him for the ending the season deal ……… Doncaster and Celtic would employ the same tactic as then they would get all the other clubs to greet about being held to ransom and their existence being threatened if we do not take this best possible deal 

The clubs maybe but not the fan’s IMO 

Utter garbage yet again.  But some clubs will see a million quid or two and jizz themselves silly in glee.  That will finance them to exist instead of having the ambition to be financed to grow in strength.  Mere existence is everything to these plankton.  The old firm are happy because everyone else contunues to survive on crumbs.

3 hours ago, Newton51 said:

What a load of pish.

Sky’s existing deal with the SPFL, which allows a maximum of 48 games a season, is due to expire in 2025. Under the revised terms, Sky will continue with that limit this season and next at a cost of £25.7m and £26.7m respectively. From the 2024-25 season the 60-match limit triggers a £27.6m payment which will increase by almost £2m for the next four seasons. Sky will have the option of further 10-match SPFL bundles at the cost of around £4m from 2024-5.

Sad fact is so many Scottish clubs fix their budgets at either the very top end of their turnover or in some cases over that they would bend over and tell the world that they have to accept the deal or face Armageddon ………… just you wait and see how quickly the fans and media turn on the clubs who stand in the way of it getting finalised 

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Utter garbage yet again.  But some clubs will see a million quid or two and jizz themselves silly in glee.  That will finance them to exist instead of having the ambition to be financed to grow in strength.  Mere existence is everything to these plankton.  The old firm are happy because everyone else contunues to survive on crumbs.

Good post 

17 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The only thing going for Sky is that its the pay service which has most subscribers (not streaming) in this country so means that its not another amount that people to pay.

But it has made clear for years that it sees Scottish football as second class. It shows little respect, often gets team badges wrong on Sky Sports News, saw an advert about lots of live football it will show, there was 5 different leagues it said it had, despite showing the SPFL premiership badge, it showed no Scottish football footage in the advert. It showed the other 4. If BT has offered a comparable amount for Scottish football we should have gone for them.

To me it all smacks of the problem Scottish football has had with TV deals, chairmen are scared of missing out on tv income so accept an offer that is passable rather than push out for more.

This. Sky aren’t going to pay more than they need to.

As we saw from our demotion and previous other examples of idiocy, our game is run largely by fools. And it’s not in the old firm’s interests to help other teams to get more TV money that might help them challenge when they are guaranteed European money every year that other team don’t get. There’s no old firm though apparently! 😂

Why is Doncaster talking to Sky now? We've still got 2/3 years of existing deal to go. Could be à lot more money splashing around by then.

I honestly do not get why any Scottish football supporters would give SKY a penny but I suppose it comes down to whether or not you were brain washed in to having an English team 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

To be honest if the arse cheeks thought we could get double the money of the sky deal I’m pretty sure they would veto it also.

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

To be honest if the arse cheeks thought we could get double the money of the sky deal I’m pretty sure they would veto it also.

Either that or force through a rebrand of Scottish football and give eighty per cent of the TV income to first and second place in the league 

22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Spend much time on Pie and Bovril or Twitter mate ?

No? Surely there can’t be fans out there who think this guy is doing a good job?

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, OTT said:

I can't even post what I think of him, nor what I hope happens to him and his break lines. 

The man is the abuser of Scottish football. He takes an gigantic salary whilst keeping the clubs he kids on he works for dirt poor and the league totally ****ed. 

I wish nothing but pain and misery on him. 

Also, you can sub out abuser for something much worse. 

Don't forget he then states that 'it was the collective clubs' decision' whenever a big decision has to be made, you are the leader you absolute walloper! What he actually gets paid for l know not. Just a glorified secretary that's pish at his job. 

• davemclaren changed the title to TV deal/Neil Doncaster ( merged )