Lewis Neilson

Tom Hardy’s Dug

jamboinglasgow
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Ok apologies if I jumped the gun there. 

I actually think Sibbick has a lot of talent however the competition at this club in Kent/Rowels/Kingsley/Halkett and now potentially Neilson for his position and I see it hard him breaking through that regularly. 

However as another poster pointed out with Europe we might need a little more depth to help cover. So we might potentially need both. 

Certainly, and I share the view that I think he will be off in the summer which may be the best option for him to get game time and his stage of his career, but has talent that if he stays he will good back up. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheBigO

• OTT

• Chimp

• jamboinglasgow

I really like Neilson but he had some pretty major flaws when it came to the bread and butter for his position. He was young though and a year in the championship will have hopefully started to sort this out. Potentially a star for years if it all comes together. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yeah. Although I think he may be a better CDM than a center back in the short term.

Not a go at you mate, but the obsession with getting CHs who are good on the ball to play CDM does my tits in.  Folk used to knock on about it with Souttar too.

Not saying it isn't an option and guys can play multiple positions - its not a computer game where you play where the letters after you name say you can.  But at the same time I always feel its very Scottish to see a CH who can play football and want him in the midfield!!

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Do we reckon we let Sibbick go in the summer and bring Neilson back in to the team to compete for a first team slot?

Probably. Especially if there's a fee on the table for Sibbick. He makes me really nervous and I just feel like he's a mistake waiting to happen - wherever he plays. Neilson doesn't give me that same nervousness and I genuinely feel like he would be the better option as backup at this moment in time. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Batistuta87
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not a go at you mate, but the obsession with getting CHs who are good on the ball to play CDM does my tits in.  Folk used to knock on about it with Souttar too.

Not saying it isn't an option and guys can play multiple positions - its not a computer game where you play where the letters after you name say you can.  But at the same time I always feel its very Scottish to see a CH who can play football and want him in the midfield!!

This chat does my tits right in as well. Fed up hearing it. 

pettigrewsstylist
On 04/01/2024 at 12:05, TheBigO said:

Getting 30odd games that really matter, in front of decent crowds, against teams and players scrapping for their lives is massive for him.  Always think loans like this really matter more for defenders and maybe goalies.  Not sure if there's truth in that, but feels that way.

But then coming back and training and playing with our (with respect) better players and stepping up his learning will also be good.  He now has the foundation to build on which he didn't when we first saw him.  And he still aquitted himself pretty bloody well considering the situation, even then.

Quite excited by Neilson, have to say.

Lets him see where his "improvement" areas are and develop them in a pressure environment as you say. Also excited about him.

johnking123

Yes, move Sibbick on at end of the season. Never really made it and time to get Lewis bedded in properly. Believe we thought about selling Sibbick and recalling . But the young lad is enjoying his football at the moment with Patrick and doing well. So we left him.

jamboinglasgow
21 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I find the same when a full back is good at attacking, there is always someone calling for them to be a winger instead.

18 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I really like Neilson but he had some pretty major flaws when it came to the bread and butter for his position. He was young though and a year in the championship will have hopefully started to sort this out. Potentially a star for years if it all comes together. 

Oh yeah, but remember how raw he was mate.  Also it was quite the tricky situation - it wasn't like Tait at the moment who is being drip fed into a confident team. We had injuries right across our defence especially so he not only being thrown in, but thrown in to a ridiculously unsteady situation and with lots of back to back massive games too.

But I think we all saw the upside the kid - at 19? - had to his game.  Quite excited about him actually.

44 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

This chat does my tits right in as well. Fed up hearing it. 

From who!? Me?

Just saying Neilson, like Souttar before him, should be concentrating on nailing CH.  His footballing ability back there is a huge asset, an asset lost if moved to CM.  That;s all

46 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I find the same when a full back is good at attacking, there is always someone calling for them to be a winger instead.

Yup which is ok for a game, horses for courses etc.  And great when you have guys who can step in to other positions.  But it's overly simple.  Sometimes an attacking fullback is great at it cos they're good at coming on to the play, where as a winger is more likely to get the ball at a standing start out wide (depending how you play).

But yeah, bit hypocritical as I almost say the opposite.  It does my nut in when some one says "he's a LB, why's he playing CM" or whatever.  Can he do it?  Did he do it well?  All that matters.  The letters next to someone's name online or in a game mean nowt.  CDM is my worst.  Cammy being a CDM, or now its Newy.  No they're not!!!!  Oh or "10".  Like when Shanks and Gino played up top together, Shanks was labelled "10".  Nope he was simply the CF who came toward the ball while Gino went away from it.

Actually, maybe I'm just a moan!

jamboinglasgow
26 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oh yeah, but remember how raw he was mate.  Also it was quite the tricky situation - it wasn't like Tait at the moment who is being drip fed into a confident team. We had injuries right across our defence especially so he not only being thrown in, but thrown in to a ridiculously unsteady situation and with lots of back to back massive games too.

But I think we all saw the upside the kid - at 19? - had to his game.  Quite excited about him actually.

He did give some good performances last season, think away to Riga he was really good. But as you say he was raw and was almost having to get thrown in due to Halkett being missing, in a defence that had players trying to establish themselves (like Rowles who was having to adapt to Scottish football while his team mates kept dropping like flies all while he was expected to lead the line.) I am excited to see a much more developed player next season who can play but also built up further.

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup which is ok for a game, horses for courses etc.  And great when you have guys who can step in to other positions.  But it's overly simple.  Sometimes an attacking fullback is great at it cos they're good at coming on to the play, where as a winger is more likely to get the ball at a standing start out wide (depending how you play).

But yeah, bit hypocritical as I almost say the opposite.  It does my nut in when some one says "he's a LB, why's he playing CM" or whatever.  Can he do it?  Did he do it well?  All that matters.  The letters next to someone's name online or in a game mean nowt.  CDM is my worst.  Cammy being a CDM, or now its Newy.  No they're not!!!!  Oh or "10".  Like when Shanks and Gino played up top together, Shanks was labelled "10".  Nope he was simply the CF who came toward the ball while Gino went away from it.

Actually, maybe I'm just a moan!

I think players can be adapted to different roles, just think the laziness of "his much better attacking than his defensive work, he should be a winger" seems to be a cop out, which your better look to utilise the players strength (attacking) to push forward more and help the team, while working on their defensive side to improve it. TBH its basically what we have seen with Atkinson under Naismith who has improved.

Yeah, I think players can have different roles but its easy to label them in roles just from where they are sitting on the pitch and not on their job their doing, as you say Shankland sitting deeper behind Gino does not mean he is a number 10.

32 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yep.

Also his position needs to be taken into account. I'd say CB and GK are the 2 positions which are the most difficult to get game time as a young player. Very high pressure positions. You can't compare a midfielder or a striker coming on or getting a few minutes or starts here and there. Neilson was thrown in at the deep end in that run of games and wasn't ideal for his development. Ease him in over the next few years and I'm sure the big man will come good, especially if he has a big leader like Kent or Halkett next to him. Ideal role models 👍

Gundermann
24 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He did give some good performances last season, think away to Riga he was really good. But as you say he was raw and was almost having to get thrown in due to Halkett being missing, in a defence that had players trying to establish themselves (like Rowles who was having to adapt to Scottish football while his team mates kept dropping like flies all while he was expected to lead the line.) I am excited to see a much more developed player next season who can play but also built up further.

I think players can be adapted to different roles, just think the laziness of "his much better attacking than his defensive work, he should be a winger" seems to be a cop out, which your better look to utilise the players strength (attacking) to push forward more and help the team, while working on their defensive side to improve it. TBH its basically what we have seen with Atkinson under Naismith who has improved.

Yeah, I think players can have different roles but its easy to label them in roles just from where they are sitting on the pitch and not on their job their doing, as you say Shankland sitting deeper behind Gino does not mean he is a number 10.

Partick's defence fairly leaks goals, has to be said. Not saying Neilson is to blame but he's not been surrounded by good role models,  it seems. 

I did like the look of him at the start but then it became clear to me that he was nowhere near this level as it stands.  I have to keep thinking however that it is not laways going to be the case where we get a Locke, Johnston and Ritchie all ready to hit the ground running every year.

That been said the last thing we need is a young player learning his trade and making mistakes to improve every week in our team.

I don't know what we do here actually, something niggles at me saying he is worth the punt but mistakes can cost us points.

section s heart
23 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I did like the look of him at the start but then it became clear to me that he was nowhere near this level as it stands.  I have to keep thinking however that it is not laways going to be the case where we get a Locke, Johnston and Ritchie all ready to hit the ground running every year.

That been said the last thing we need is a young player learning his trade and making mistakes to improve every week in our team.

I don't know what we do here actually, something niggles at me saying he is worth the punt but mistakes can cost us points.

Quite excited to see him when he returns.

He had plenty good attributes, yes there were mistakes in him in that spell last season, but he was in a makeshift defence, and only 19.

We'll get him back at 21, still young in terms of CH development, but likely better than before, and the Partick fans have been very complimentary about him. 

If he's too error prone, I'd trust Naisy to see that he needs more work, and take him out the firing line for a bit. 

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

From who!? Me?

Just saying Neilson, like Souttar before him, should be concentrating on nailing CH.  His footballing ability back there is a huge asset, an asset lost if moved to CM.  That;s all

No mate not you haha, the Sibbick/CBs playing DM chat 🤣

Apologies - should have specified because you did make a couple of different points there ✌️

Edited by Batistuta87

3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

No mate not you haha, the Sibbick as a DM chat 🤣

Apologies - should have specified because you did make a couple of different points there ✌️

Aha! Yeah i thought we was pals!

Chillidigits
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Sometimes works though. Only way to know is a decent run of games in that role. John Stones seems to manage okay

Batistuta87
22 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Sometimes works though. Only way to know is a decent run of games in that role. John Stones seems to manage okay

Why bother though? Why risk it, when someone is perfectly comfortable at CB and we have actually a fair number of perfectly capable CMs?

Pep obviously noticed an attribute in Stones and decided to try him there. Him doing so doesn't in any way mean that any other CB on the planet should expect to have the same success. 

While we're at it - Shankland might be alright at putting a cross into the box, so lets move him out to right wing and just see how he gets on

It's genuinely mind blowing. 

Edited by Batistuta87

4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Absolutely BigO, it was the wrong time for him to get chucked in really. Next season should be a different ball game and I hope he’s ready. As I’ve said I like him and think he could be a main stay for years. 

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Absolutely BigO, it was the wrong time for him to get chucked in really. Next season should be a different ball game and I hope he’s ready. As I’ve said I like him and think he could be a main stay for years. 

Yeah it was one of those though.  It wasn't like we weren't covered for defender.  We had a near-pandemic!!!

Plenty occasions where this has been the break a kid has needed in football.  I remmber Gary Naysmith all them years back, wasnt his first or certainly one of his first games when Disa was suspended after the Ibrox 4 debacle.  Denholm this season to an extent when we had a load of midfield injuries and he played (well!) against Rosenborg in one of our biggest Euro nights in recent memory. 

'sall good, and Neilson did well at first, it was actually after a few games the cracks started to show.  HIs season at Partick will have polished him up just nicely!!!

gar jambo
On 14/02/2024 at 10:32, jamboinglasgow said:

Certainly, and I share the view that I think he will be off in the summer which may be the best option for him to get game time and his stage of his career, but has talent that if he stays he will good back up. 

I think also sibbick has a lot off talent!  And I think he likes it at Hearts Why can't they work on him like devlin and finally find his best position  ! 

Chuck Berry

I'm fairly certain that Neilson was the only fit CH we had for a few games last season, and he was thrown into some big games as a result, the deep end.

A year at Partick will have done him the world of good, time to bring him back and then bleed him into the team, perhaps even ahead of Kingsley who is the go-to back up this season.  Sibbick can go.

He'll be around the squad you'd imagine, hopefully able to get off the bench here & there although for CBs it's not always that straightforward.

Hopefully he won't get chucked into the defence as the sole CB playing alongside 3 fullbacks in a back four because the injury situation is such a mess, that was really not ideal for him.

5 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

He'll be around the squad you'd imagine, hopefully able to get off the bench here & there although for CBs it's not always that straightforward.

Hopefully he won't get chucked into the defence as the sole CB playing alongside 3 fullbacks in a back four because the injury situation is such a mess, that was really not ideal for him.

If we play a back 3, having Kent and Rowles next to him will do him the world of good. 

Kent is basically a captain without the armband and Rowles is a very solid defender too.

With Halks fitness ropey to say the least, it could be to both players benefit to rotate. If neither are cutting the mustard then can always revert to a back 4. 

Flexibility eh! :)