Lewis Neilson

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug

In the club issued highlights of yesterday’s friendly did we possibly see a hint of Souttar in him strolling the ball out of defence a couple of times?

I think we did. And he is a total unit.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheBigO

• OTT

• Chimp

• jamboinglasgow

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Definitely worth opening a new thread to discuss. 

It would disappear in a mass of inanity elsewhere.

Anyway, on topic. Im the brief bits available he looked fine on the ball.

Rick Sanchez

500k bid accepted from Leicester last year, the boy is certainly no mug. I think he'll get a lot of appearances otherwise he wouldn't have signed IMO.

24 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

500k bid accepted from Leicester last year, the boy is certainly no mug. I think he'll get a lot of appearances otherwise he wouldn't have signed IMO.

Can only assume he turned them down? Possibly shows a wise head on his shoulders too. Dare I say wiser than his predecessor.

Edited by Locky

been here before

Was hoping for a raging early doors wage thief / imposter type thread.

#disappointed.

Edited by been here before

Rick Sanchez
13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Can only assume he turned them down? Possibly shows a wise head on his shoulders too. Dare I say wiser than his predecessor.

He did indeed mate.

TyphoonJambo
13 minutes ago, been here before said:

Was hoping for a raging early doors wage thief / imposter type thread.

#disappointed.

This thread is still young, be patient.

been here before
1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

This thread is still young, be patient.

First mistake, first game, some banger will be all over it.

TyphoonJambo
Just now, been here before said:

It's the kickback way.😁

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I didnt see much of him at United admittedly, but bits I did see were eye catching. Pretty happy with this one, think its a find, still be raw mind, but thats part of the deal with players like this, they need to be coached and brought forwards

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Especially with him being Robbies laddie 👀 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, been here before said:

😂😂👍

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

Wonder when the tribunal will take place to see if there is a fee required 

Been wondering the same. We must be extremely confident that we’re not due anything. 

If it was another team, I wouldn’t be against a token fee to settle the matter and a small % for the sake of relations. But after the covid debacle, they can go **** themselves. 

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, been here before said:

Is he related to Robbie?

:peepwall:

Cue, more smartarse anti Robbie snipes:whistling:

15 minutes ago, OTT said:

Been wondering the same. We must be extremely confident that we’re not due anything. 

If it was another team, I wouldn’t be against a token fee to settle the matter and a small % for the sake of relations. But after the covid debacle, they can go **** themselves. 

:spoton:

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Gut instinct is saying we’ll keep an eye on this Doncaster lad but that in pre-season so far the management/coaches feel comfortable with our defence.

Tp the extent that we can focus on other areas and take our time with defence and see how it shapes up.

Very limited content and shite oppo but Neilson looked very solid yesterday 

8 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

In the club issued highlights of yesterday’s friendly did we possibly see a hint of Souttar in him strolling the ball out of defence a couple of times?

I think we did. And he is a total unit.

My Utd mate says he is alike Soapy at this age! Only time will tell.

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, OTT said:

Either that or we're confident that whatever we could end up having to pay, he's well worth it!

11 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Either that or we're confident that whatever we could end up having to pay, he's well worth it!

Think it’s more the case that Utd just chancing their luck, He has the same agent as Forrest and McGill and I’m betting that it was his agent that let us know during the Forrest negotiations that Neilson was available for free

Let's face it we are never going to sign someone as good as Souttar.  I'm wondering is Robbie is going to settle on Neilson and Sibbick fighting it out for the right sided centre back slot.  At a push Michael Smith, Halkett or Haring could also cover in there as well.

17 hours ago, OTT said:

This.

1 hour ago, tazhearts said:

Let's face it we are never going to sign someone as good as Souttar.  I'm wondering is Robbie is going to settle on Neilson and Sibbick fighting it out for the right sided centre back slot.  At a push Michael Smith, Halkett or Haring could also cover in there as well.

Sibbick hasn't had a good game for us at RCB yet and Neilson played 90 minutes a grand total of 3 times for Dundee United last season. I'm pretty sure that isn't the plan.

Sibbick will cover CB/CM and Neilson will cover RCB/RB imo. An experienced RCB will come in to play the position while Neilson develops.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Sibbick hasn't had a good game for us at RCB yet and Neilson played 90 minutes a grand total of 3 times for Dundee United last season. I'm pretty sure that isn't the plan.

Sibbick will cover CB/CM and Neilson will cover RCB/RB imo. An experienced RCB will come in to play the position while Neilson develops.

Sibbick hadn’t had pre-season with us getting used to our system etc or time to gel. Thrown in with key defenders injured less than ideal.

I’m getting the same kind of feeling as Taz - or at least that we are comfortable with the defence and will wait to see if anything too good to turn down comes along.

As in any team the money for real quality and where we need the most improvement is the front line.

No rush for another defender at the mo. That’s what it feels like.

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, tazhearts said:

Someone fit enough to play more than 10-15 games in a row would be helpful for continuity. 

colinmaroon

He's a young central defender, therefore, he will make mistakes.

Cue:  "Bombscare!" et al.

It's the Kickback way!

PS We'll eventually sell him for £10 million plus  or, he'll do a Souttar.

Might be a bit premature but I hope he develops into another scotland international standard centre half, just hope we get decent dollar if/when he is sold on this time.

1 minute ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Might be a bit premature but I hope he develops into another scotland international standard centre half, just hope we get decent dollar if/when he is sold on this time.

Best thing to do is to get him to sign an extension after a year if he does well. Think he's on a 3 year deal, so if he holds his own, get another 2 years added on and the club should be protected when English clubs come calling. 

jamboinglasgow
20 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

yeah me too (not just for us to sell at top dollar, but also as Scotland needs quality centre backs.)

14 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Sibbick hadn’t had pre-season with us getting used to our system etc or time to gel. Thrown in with key defenders injured less than ideal.

I’m getting the same kind of feeling as Taz - or at least that we are comfortable with the defence and will wait to see if anything too good to turn down comes along.

As in any team the money for real quality and where we need the most improvement is the front line.

Agreed.  There is no point in bringing in another right sided centre half unless they are significantly better than Neilson / Sibbick etc.

There is no real point in bringing someone in who is marginally better than them.

At the moment it doesn't look like we have identified any defenders who for the bill (based on our budget).

Finding a like for like replacement for Souttar is pretty much impossible.

For what it's worth I thought Sibbick looked really shaky at the back last season. He is also awful in the air for someone his height.

16 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The stuff about gelling with the team is all well and good but, usually when this justification is used, the players in question simply end up not being very good. Kenny Anderson, as it turned out, did not "just need a pre-season".

That's not me writing Sibbick off at all - I think he's got potential. The point is I've not seen anything to suggest we should be hanging our hats on either him or Lewis Neilson as first choice this season.

I don't see why there's a feeling Robbie will either, given he 1) hasn't played Sibbick at RCB in a 3 since his shaky first half display in the semi and 2) he has explicitly said we are looking for a player in this position more than once.

1 hour ago, tazhearts said:

Agreed.  There is no point in bringing in another right sided centre half unless they are significantly better than Neilson / Sibbick etc.

There is no real point in bringing someone in who is marginally better than them.

At the moment it doesn't look like we have identified any defenders who for the bill (based on our budget).

Finding a like for like replacement for Souttar is pretty much impossible.

For what it's worth I thought Sibbick looked really shaky at the back last season. He is also awful in the air for someone his height.

So you don't think bringing in a centre-back significantly better than someone who, in your own words, looked "really shaky at the back" and is "awful in the air", and a guy who played a handful of times for Dundee United last season, is realistic?

There's no evidence to suggest we haven't identified plenty of options. Not all of our business is done in public. They also don't have to be as good as Souttar to represent an extremely valuable addition to the squad.

As Neilson has said, we need improvement and extra depth all over the pitch. Moore and Souttar out for Rowles and Neilson represents a fairly substantial drop in experienced CB depth as things stand. Despite the overall squad budget being higher, we'd be spending significantly less in that position than last season as things stand. That doesn't seem likely to me and Neilson has pretty much confirmed otherwise anyway.

Bazzas right boot
17 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Yip, hopefully If we are Continually in about the top 3/4 spots and in Europe - players will sign these extensions and not piss off and run down contracts like Paterson, Souttar, Hickey all did. 

Much easier to sign an extension for a club doing well. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

• 1 year later...
NottsJambo

From today's Record:

Hearts ‘rolls royce’ loanee praised

Partick Thistle manager Kris Doolan has labelled Lewis Neilson 'as good a centre-back as he's seen in a long time' after his starring performance against Queen's Park on Tuesday.

The on-loan Hearts defender scored a crucial winner during the clash to keep Thistle firmly in the promotion race. And speaking about Neilson's progress, Doolan was quick to heap the praise on the 20-year-old.

I'm delighted for him because I always feel Lewis gives us so much but it's the goalscorers who get the extra praise. He's absolutely a Rolls Royce of a centre-back. He's as good a centre-back as I've seen in a long, long time.

Today he scored and it turned out to be a very important goal. It shows you his value to us. It capped off an absolutely brilliant performance by him.

neilnunb

I mean, it's nice to see him getting good reviews but must admit, the recent games against Raith and Dundee Utd he looked well short of being ready for us.

Really pleased he's doing well at Partick. 

Might sound premature, but maybe a player to think about a contract extension with - 2 years into his intitial deal, so be keen to make sure we're not in a position next year where he has almost no time left and teams down south fancy taking a punt on him. 

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

I mean, it's nice to see him getting good reviews but must admit, the recent games against Raith and Dundee Utd he looked well short of being ready for us.

He's been one of their best players this season apparently so those sound like blips.

Now I’d forget Halkett for now because he’s obviously way off the pace for first team football and he should never of been put into Kent’s position in the middle of the back 3 where Kent has been outstanding. Hearts future has to be a back 3 of

Neilson.               Kent.                Kingsley / Rowles 

although I’m not a fan of Rowles he has improved a wee bit lately and that could be down to having Kent playing beside him.

ri Alban
On 01/07/2022 at 12:26, The Grim Reaper said:

Definitely worth opening a new thread to discuss. 

:rofl:Must read dates of thread. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by ri Alban

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

I’m hoping this season will allow his development to reach a level where he is first team player at Hearts next season, he’ll turn 21 in May so still pretty young but with a player of that potential, the hope would be he would be ready then to nail down a place.

upgotheheads
11 hours ago, OTT said:

Really pleased he's doing well at Partick. 

Might sound premature, but maybe a player to think about a contract extension with - 2 years into his intitial deal, so be keen to make sure we're not in a position next year where he has almost no time left and teams down south fancy taking a punt on him. 

Breaking the constant cycle of losing our best players cheaply is important for clubs like Hearts, so I hope we are prepared to take a punt on  Neilson and offer him a 5-year contract. 

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

When does his current contact end?