Gorgie Rules

SCFHearts

What does it mean to you ??

Honest the amount of Hearts fans i meet in the passing

Guys who i dont really ken there names  but went on supporters busses or drank with   in the pubs  we frequented over the yrs  

And when you randomly bump into them  and share   pleasantries you still say

GR done it 3 times last week 

Often see faces I recognise from years back and get recognised by others.

John Wilson, of Neil Lennon fame, was one.

Met him on a bus about 10 years ago and he said he knew my face from Tynecastle and it's boozers over the years.

For me it's when I was a pup listening to The Shed or the fans at the segregation fences at away grounds singing " Gorgie Gorgie Gorgie Rules, Gorgie, Gorgie Rules" when the atmosphere was getting a tad unsavoury. 

Kilmarnock A 1982, Motherwell H 1982, Hibs A 1982, Leeds Utd H 1982, Motherwell A 1982, Celtic A 1982 are the games I remember especially Parkhead was when the chant went up and the fans went berserk. 

It’s just something that has always been said.  It’s banter, it’s friendly talk between fellow Jambos, it was fighting talk back then, it’s everything to do with Hearts.

It also lets you know that @Harry Potter was really Doug!

Gorgie Rools 

FTH

Brilliant Catchline!  Been using it since late seventies!

Term of extreme endearment between all Jambos

Not so endearing if you were opposition fan in the 80's!

Can you imagine the slaverers at the other end of our city suggesting 'Lochend Rules'

Na.  Me neither😍

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

It’s just something that has always been said.  It’s banter, it’s friendly talk between fellow Jambos, it was fighting talk back then, it’s everything to do with Hearts.

It also lets you know that @Harry Potter was really Doug!

Gorgie Rools 

FTH

Mup.

Remember last season with the restricted crowd and a bunch of gobshite Celtic fans turned up despite them not getting tickets and getting sent packing? That. 😁

I think this originated from the 1970's when there was a 'gang' called the Gorgie Jungle and the war cry was "Gorgie Rules". 

John Findlay
Just now, SAS said:

I think this originated from the 1970's when there was a 'gang' called the Gorgie Jungle and the war cry was "Gorgie Rules". 

I think you might be getting mixed up with the Clerry Jungle, which was predominantly Hearts supporters back in the 1970s

Seaside Dave

Means we run the capital and we are ****ing massive. I'll hear nothing else.... gorgie boys are in town 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I think you might be getting mixed up with the Clerry Jungle, which was predominantly Hearts supporters back in the 1970s

No,he’s not getting mixed up.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Definitely a Gorgie Jungle, brought up in Gorgie, and we would say it at primary school (mid 70s) even though we had no idea what we were talking about, but every one knew someone who had a big brother who was in the Gorgie Jungle, you would see graffiti in the area 

sandylejambo

A teacher at Tynecastle school said the guys from Clermiston were from the jungle and the lads from Gorgie were from the swamp, so it was Clerrie Jungle at first but as Gorgie was the meeting place for all the lads, it was just Jungle. As a lad who lived in Stewart Ter I have first hand knowledge of this.

7 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

A teacher at Tynecastle school said the guys from Clermiston were from the jungle and the lads from Gorgie were from the swamp, so it was Clerrie Jungle at first but as Gorgie was the meeting place for all the lads, it was just Jungle. As a lad who lived in Stewart Ter I have first hand knowledge of this.

Used to see it painted on one of the traffic signs at the start of Stewart Terr, just the word JUNGLE.

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Sorry John. He's not getting mixed up. Was always gorgie jungle. Early 70s boys from Westfield. Dressed up same as film clockwork orange. Bowler hats, walking sticks used to sit on benches opposite gorgie road entrance. Total bams. 

1 hour ago, BMC 12 said:

Sorry John. He's not getting mixed up. Was always gorgie jungle. Early 70s boys from Westfield. Dressed up same as film clockwork orange. Bowler hats, walking sticks used to sit on benches opposite gorgie road entrance. Total bams. 

You’re right Gorgie Jungle was first!

GORGIE was an umbrella brand  (marketing not clockwork orange speak!), that unified the Hearts support from the early 70s

It (Gorgie) evolved from the ‘Jungle’, to ‘Boot Boys’ and then into the 80s ‘Aggro’!

The cry that unified all Edinburgh Hearts supporting gangs and Hearts supporting fans across the Lothians and beyond was “GORGIE RULES”! Together these supporters stood shoulder to shoulder united under that ‘cry’ of Gorgie Rules!

It was that united strength that ensured that indeed Gorgie did rule across the terraces, stadiums and surrounds!

There was however an irreverent and defiant tone to the cry, GORGIE RULES!
It was like, the Hearts team were poor (they were!), the directors and management were poor (they were!), Scottish football authorities were poor (they were and still are!!) BUT we the Hearts supporters are the best so we will ‘show them’ that GORGIE RULES!

GORGIE RULES …… and always will!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

4 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

GORGIE was an umbrella brand  (marketing not clockwork orange speak!), that unified the Hearts support from the early 70s

It (Gorgie) evolved from the ‘Jungle’, to ‘Boot Boys’ and then into the 80s ‘Aggro’!

The cry that unified all Edinburgh Hearts supporting gangs and Hearts supporting fans across the Lothians and beyond was “GORGIE RULES”! Together these supporters stood shoulder to shoulder united under that ‘cry’ of Gorgie Rules!

It was that united strength that ensured that indeed Gorgie did rule across the terraces, stadiums and surrounds!

There was however an irreverent and defiant tone to the cry, GORGIE RULES!
It was like, the Hearts team were poor (they were!), the directors and management were poor (they were!), Scottish football authorities were poor (they were and still are!!) BUT we the Hearts supporters are the best so we will ‘show them’ that GORGIE RULES!

GORGIE RULES …… and always will!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Correct 👍 

i wish jj was my dad

Oh dear. We'll have strategic battle plans and pincer movements next

Peakybunnet
6 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Oh dear. We'll have strategic battle plans and pincer movements next

lol it was a bit more like “Charge” 

i wish jj was my dad

I can remember. Glad most of us have grown out of it mind.  Fortunately, I was too young to get caught up in the worst of it and watching the pathetic way the shite and rangers fans squared off a few years ago I don't think we will really see scenes like that again. 

On 20/06/2022 at 23:27, neilnunb said:

Remember last season with the restricted crowd and a bunch of gobshite Celtic fans turned up despite them not getting tickets and getting sent packing? That. 😁

A full coach load 😁 and then got sent packing by the old bill afterwards.

Gorgie Rules. FTH.

I had a fake white silk scarf with Gorgie Rules in maroon across it. I'm sure I bought it mid 70's. Scary times to follow Hearts as a youngster .