We've played in South Morocco

Poseidon

manaliveits105
6 hours ago, RobNox said:

That would be Hibs being the first Scottish team to play in Europe, despite finishing 5th in the league and only getting the invite because the top 4 teams knocked it back.

still first likesy though ay urope luvs us 

(especially Malmoeites)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Poseidon

• Francis Albert

• The Hogfather

Top Posters In This Topic

manaliveits105
4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The Hearts song doesn't mention Hibs. It identifies our rivals as Rangers and Celtic. As it should for Edinburgh's major club.

This

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Sorry but no it was not it was a wonderful occasion but it was only that because of previous failures ………. The greatest game and result in our history in my opinion will always be hammering our biggest rival in the Scottish Cup final

Never define your self by previous failures that is for Hibs fans

Beating rangers narrowly in a cup final is a bigger and better result than hammering hibs. 

Hibs are shite, utter shite. A team we have dominated for 50 years. 

Beating a rangers team ( or celtic) in Glasgow is far harder and a bigger achievement. 

Always will be, not even a debate. 

Never define Hearts success by beating hibs. Hibs are shite. Beating them is fun, hardly a measure of success tho as they are shite. 

Utter jobbies. 

Winning this cup final for example would be far more of an achievement than beating hibs ( again). 

We don't even play in the USA or Morocco that often, I wouldn't take the song so literal. 

Other teams fans would debate the greatest game in history as well. 😂

I miss New years games. Good fun. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Beating rangers narrowly in a cup final is a bigger and better result than hammering hibs. 

Hibs are shite, utter shite. A team we have dominated for 50 years. 

Beating a rangers team ( or celtic) in Glasgow is far harder and a bigger achievement. 

Always will be, not even a debate. 

Never define Hearts success by beating hibs. Hibs are shite. Beating them is fun, hardly a measure of success tho as they are shite. 

Utter jobbies. 

Winning this cup final for example would be far more of an achievement than beating hibs ( again). 

We don't even play in the USA or Morocco that often, I wouldn't take the song so literal. 

Other teams fans would debate the greatest game in history as well. 😂

I miss New years games. Good fun. 

The thread is about the song it is literally the subject matter being discussed ………….

the greatest game in history

if that for some is finally winning some thing after decades of failure then fair enough that is up to each individual to define from their own point of view ………….. for me it was hammering our ancient and biggest rival in the cup final but as I said that is a personal thing for every fan to decide for them selfs ………… maybe some one could start a thread about which cup win was their personal favourite

back on this topic though if the greatest game in history is the game on new years day then sadly that is the one measurement in the derby where we have the most blemishes

TexasAndy

I always sing "19th of May".  The original song was always homage to the New Year derby.  There's nothing we have done in that that would come close to filleting your biggest rivals in the biggest Derby of all time.  

Saint Jambo

How about...

We have played in South Lanarkshire.

We have played in Air-d-rie.

But for the benefit of modern TV audiences, we rarely play on New Years Day.

That should remove some of the geographic/historical inaccuracies, recognize we rarely go on overseas tours any more and remove the controversy from the last line while bring it up to date for the younger fans.

Iceman1956
7 hours ago, Alan_R said:

I've always believed it's reference to the traditional NYD derby.

"The greatest game in history" = the Edinburgh derby

I've never even thought about it meaning an individual match.

This for me also, but then I'm old school and like the traditional songs Molly Malone springs to mind 😊

iwasthere1954
9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

It certainly was. Many of us were in tears when the final whistle went in 1998 after suffering agony for quite a bit of the second half. 

In 2012 we were laughing and had been for most of the second half. 

Having been following the Hearts for a "few" years, there's no doubt in my mind that 2012 was our greatest result. I agree about the laughing though😁😁

9 hours ago, RobNox said:

It was the worst achievement in Hibs history though, no harm in reminding them of this at every opportunity.  Did we ever actually play in South Morocco?

I did, and usually with my Hearts strip on, so that counts

Just now, iwasthere1954 said:

Having been following the Hearts for a "few" years, there's no doubt in my mind that 2012 was our greatest result. I agree about the laughing though😁😁

My dad was the same as you he had seen us win it all but 2012 was the greatest game for him 

iwasthere1954
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

My dad was the same as you he had seen us win it all but 2012 was the greatest game for him 

Exactly. But remember that they are over it. 🤣🤣🤣

Batistuta87
9 hours ago, Sooks said:

No idea I always sing Nineteenth of May and it annoys me that others do not 

Because "the game on new year's day" is the correct words to the original song!

Edited by Batistuta87

22 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Because "the game on new year's day" is the correct words to the original song!

Yes it is and it is what i used to sing not any more though

Batistuta87
11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes it is and it is what i used to sing not any more though

Well that's your answer lol. People still sing the NYD line because that's the original (and correct) words. 

No need to be annoyed. 

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Well that's your answer lol. People still sing the NYD line because that's the original (and correct) words. 

No need to be annoyed. 

Annoyed was probably a bit much to be fair yes

I will definitely stick to the changed and far more appropriate lyrics how ever because the original words do not really do us any favours 

Batistuta87
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Annoyed was probably a bit much to be fair yes

I will definitely stick to the changed and far more appropriate lyrics how ever because the original words do not really do us any favours 

Each to their own buddy :) 

I don't sing much but have taught my wee boy the NYD line lol. 

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Each to their own buddy :) 

I don't sing much but have taught my wee boy the NYD line lol. 

but did you teach him celtic and rangers are grand or rangers and celtic when he sings the Hearts song

the general
10 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

I’m sure we did play in Morocco in the fifties but I could be wrong. 

Some folk change it to Sarajevo

Batistuta87
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

but did you teach him celtic and rangers are grand or rangers and celtic when he sings the Hearts song

D'you know what - I've sang that song for nearly 30 years and I do so without even thinking about it. I'd say "Celtic and Rangers" but now that you're making me think about it I'm doubting myself lol. 

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

D'you know what - I've sang that song for nearly 30 years and I do so without even thinking about it. I'd say "Celtic and Rangers" but now that you're making me think about it I'm doubting myself lol. 

I sing Celtic and Rangers too but some people get annoyed by this because the original lyrics were Rangers and Celtic : - D

Batistuta87
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I sing Celtic and Rangers too but some people get annoyed by this because the original lyrics were Rangers and Celtic : - D

I've literally never noticed that the two versions were different haha. Hadn't a clue! 

I've always though that the original song said San Morocco not South Morocco, and that we had played a club of that name pre season, but possibly not in Morocco. Can't find a club with the name San Morocco though so looks like I misheard the lyrics originally. Been singing San Morocco for decades too.

davemclaren
9 hours ago, Sooks said:

plenty songs become embarrassingly meaningless over the years and when that happens it is advisable to alter them to reflect reality

It’s a song.  🤷‍♂️

Ex member of the SaS

Sorry not read the whole thread as I don't have the time. Why are people discussing lyrics? Obviously the song was written long before the big cup final and at the time of writing the NYD game was huge. Football songs are sung as a tradition and changing the words does a disservice to the history of the song.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

It’s a song.  🤷‍♂️

Yes i know I am probably looking too closely at it 

I will just stick to 19 th May and let every one else be ................................ wrong : - D

davemclaren
13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes i know I am probably looking too closely at it 

I will just stick to 19 th May and let every one else be ................................ wrong : - D

🤣🤣

spacerjoe
14 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Why the bejeesus do the majority still sing 'New year's day' instead of 'Nineteenth May'? 

Because the song is not referencing a particular game.

It's saying, we've been to grounds and games all around the world but nothing beats an Edinburgh Derby.

Edited by spacerjoe

spacerjoe
14 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Why the bejeesus do the majority still sing 'New year's day' instead of 'Nineteenth May'? 

Double post

Edited by spacerjoe

11 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Because the song is not referencing a particular game.

It's saying, we've been to grounds and games all around the world but nothing beats an Edinburgh Derby.

Partly true but it is not referencing the Edinburgh derby in general it is referencing the new year one ………… the one where we have some pretty grim results

how about …………. the greatest game in history is a Hampden derby day

spacerjoe
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Partly true but it is not referencing the Edinburgh derby in general it is referencing the new year one ………… the one where we have some pretty grim results

I don't think it means in particular the NY derby either, IMO.

If you talked to any Hearts fan, even only a few years back, about what game is played on new years they'd say the derby. So its a nice way talking about it without specifically having to rhyme Edinburgh Derby with something. And it just sounds better; like there is tradition there and its something special (that was unfortunately destroyed by TV execs and SPFL twats).

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

You’re over-thinking this. 😄

19 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Ignoring whether 16th or 19th was better, do you approve of us still singing NYD and if so, why? 

Because those are the words to the song, which existed decades before 19th May 2012

PortyBeach
21 hours ago, Sooks said:

What was the biggest achievement on New Years day then instead ………….. it’s the greatest game in history any way not the biggest achievement but both would rule out beating Rangers on 16 May any way

“…greatest game in history…New Year’s Day” is surely a reference to the fact that traditionally the main derby game experience for Edinburgh football supporters was on January 1st. 
No more, no less.

6 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

“…greatest game in history…New Year’s Day” is surely a reference to the fact that traditionally the main derby game experience for Edinburgh football supporters was on January 1st. 
No more, no less.

i would argue differently but I have spent far too much time on this now

: - D

22 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Because that’s the words of the song.

PortyBeach
10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

i would argue differently but I have spent far too much time on this now

: - D

As you’ve admitted earlier, you’ve over- thought this 🤔! No harm done, bud.

13 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

As you’ve admitted earlier, you’ve over- thought this 🤔! No harm done, bud.

Yes I honestly can not even be bothered laying out my reasons again 🙂

Weakened Offender
22 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

We have played often in the USA but I am not aware of is ever playing in North Africa. Morocco a remote and exotic  place and poetic licence.

Sure I heard its a song that we choried from them and that they have played in South Morocco. 

john brownlee
22 hours ago, RobNox said:

I've no idea tbh, just always wondered why we single out a game in Morocco, and specifically South Morocco, then go on to follow that with a game in the USA, which is a much larger country but we don't seem to hone that down to a more specific region of USA.  I guess it's just that the song pans out a lot better than if we sang we've played in Northern Africa and in various locations in the USA. 😄

Watt-Zeefuik

I now it's not really the topic of conversation, but to me our greatest achievement is that the club was collapsing after being asset pumped, was on the brink of oblivion, and 8000 heroic souls stepped forward and refused to let it die, and now we've built a new main stand, roared back to third and are off to a European group stage.

Frankly we need a song about that . . . (be awfully nice to end the story with a cup win TBH)

stuart500

I remember being told by an older Jambo than me, many years ago, that the correct original words were "We have played in the sands of Morocco" not "South Morocco".

Everyone now just sings South Morocco but the original might make more sense.

40 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

I remember being told by an older Jambo than me, many years ago, that the correct original words were "We have played in the sands of Morocco" not "South Morocco".

Everyone now just sings South Morocco but the original might make more sense.

interesting …………… so what you are saying is that it would not be changing the original song lyrics at all by changing it to 19 th May 

Wee Mikey
16 hours ago, Sooks said:

16 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

16 hours ago, Sooks said:

***Pedant Alert*** ... ***Pedant Alert***

You two have stumbled across a lyrical dichotomy, and guess what? You are BOTH wrong. 😄

Please bear with me ....

For a song played at almost every home game, it amazes me that fans consistently get it wrong when singing it a cappella.

What's more, given the demise of 'Rangers' and their re-incarnation as 'The Rangers', the original (and best) as sung by the late, great Hector Nicol is arguably prescient given that he sings, "Though some say The Rangers and Celtic are grand" ... not "Though some say that Rangers and Celtic are grand", and certainly not  "Though some say that Celtic and Rangers are grand".

So, the proper lyric is:-

"Though some say The Rangers and Celtic are grand, the-e boys in maroon are the best in the land."

Sing along, folks ...

🎶🎵🎶

H-E-A ... R-T-S,

If you cannae spell it then here's what it says:

Hearts, Hearts, glorious Hearts,

It's down at Tynecastle they bide,

The talk o' the toon are the boys in maroon,

And Auld Reekie supports them wi' pride.

This is my story, this is my song,

Follow the Hearts and

You can't go wrong

Though some say The Rangers and Celtic are grand,

The-e boys in maroon are the best in the land."

🎶🎵🎶