• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Poseidon

• Francis Albert

• The Hogfather

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hogfather

The 19th of May 2012 wasn’t the biggest achievement in Hearts history, so that might be why. 

1 minute ago, Nunya Business said:

The 19th of May 2012 wasn’t the biggest achievement in Hearts history, so that might be why. 

It was the worst achievement in Hibs history though, no harm in reminding them of this at every opportunity.  Did we ever actually play in South Morocco?

The Hogfather
Just now, RobNox said:

It was the worst achievement in Hibs history though, no harm in reminding them of this at every opportunity.  Did we ever actually play in South Morocco?

I’m sure we did play in Morocco in the fifties but I could be wrong. 

Maybe I'm naive, do we and the vermin sing the same lyrics because traditionally we played each other on NYD and we though that was the greatest game? (in a generic fashion without referring to a single fixture) 

Edited by Poseidon

14 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Why the bejeesus do the majority still sing 'New year's day' instead of 'Nineteenth May'? 

No idea I always sing Nineteenth of May and it annoys me that others do not 

10 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Why not the 16th of May then?

Because winning the cup after a few decades is not as big a game or achievement as beating our biggest rivals by a shit load in the Scottish Cup final

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Quite. It would confer too much prestige to the wee team. 

14 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

What was the biggest achievement on New Years day then instead ………….. it’s the greatest game in history any way not the biggest achievement but both would rule out beating Rangers on 16 May any way

I've no idea tbh, just always wondered why we single out a game in Morocco, and specifically South Morocco, then go on to follow that with a game in the USA, which is a much larger country but we don't seem to hone that down to a more specific region of USA.  I guess it's just that the song pans out a lot better than if we sang we've played in Northern Africa and in various locations in the USA. 😄

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Because winning the cup after a few decades is not as big a game or achievement as beating our biggest rivals by a shit load in the Scottish Cup final

It certainly was. Many of us were in tears when the final whistle went in 1998 after suffering agony for quite a bit of the second half. 

In 2012 we were laughing and had been for most of the second half. 

Just now, RobNox said:

I've no idea tbh, just always wondered why we single out a game in Morocco, and specifically South Morocco, then go on to follow that with a game in the USA, which is a much larger country but we don't seem to hone that down to a more specific region of USA.  I guess it's just that the song pans out a lot better than if we sang we've played in Northern Africa and in various locations in the USA. 😄

As best as I can put together and remember the USA reference was for the lucrative tour of there and Canada that we went on instead of accepting the invite in to the European competition that Hibs accepted in our absence

Just now, Francis Albert said:

It certainly was. Many of us were in tears when the final whistle went in 1998 after suffering agony for quite a bit of the second half. 

In 2012 we were laughing and had been for most of the second half. 

Sorry but no it was not it was a wonderful occasion but it was only that because of previous failures ………. The greatest game and result in our history in my opinion will always be hammering our biggest rival in the Scottish Cup final

Never define your self by previous failures that is for Hibs fans

The Hogfather
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Beating that Rangers team in 1998 was a far bigger achievement than beating a team that narrowly avoided relegation that season. 

And let’s be honest here, the cup was won after Beattie scored against Celtic. The final was a forgone conclusion. 

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No idea I always sing Nineteenth of May and it annoys me that others do not 

Yeah, It annoys me why we sing NYD when there are much better alternatives. 

I suggested 19th but for some 16th is better, fair enough. I guess the better question is why did we start singing NYD and why do we still given outlr rivals have had better fortune on that day compared to us 

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, RobNox said:

We have played often in the USA but I am not aware of is ever playing in North Africa. Morocco a remote and exotic  place and poetic licence.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

As best as I can put together and remember the USA reference was for the lucrative tour of there and Canada that we went on instead of accepting the invite in to the European competition that Hibs accepted in our absence

That would be Hibs being the first Scottish team to play in Europe, despite finishing 5th in the league and only getting the invite because the top 4 teams knocked it back.

Just now, Nunya Business said:

Beating that Rangers team in 1998 was a far bigger achievement than beating a team that narrowly avoided relegation that season. 

And let’s be honest here, the cup was won after Beattie scored against Celtic. The final was a forgone conclusion. 

No that would be to define the greatness of our club by failure ……….. 1998 was a chance to put 1986 right but we did not manage to get over the line and a trophy was amazing but not defining of us ………… 2012 was hammering our greatest rivals in the cup final

The greatest game in history with out a doubt 

2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I suggested 19th but for some 16th is better, fair enough. I guess the better question is why did we start singing NYD and why do we still given outlr rivals have had better fortune on that day compared to us 

You were totally correct with your OP

1 minute ago, RobNox said:

That would be Hibs being the first Scottish team to play in Europe, despite finishing 5th in the league and only getting the invite because the top 4 teams knocked it back.

There were more teams that knocked the place back than teams that they beat to reach the quarter or semi or what ever it was they managed

Chelsea

Aberdeen

us

to name a few if I remember right

**** defining our selfs by failure though nah

The Hogfather
8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No that would be to define the greatness of our club by failure ……….. 1998 was a chance to put 1986 right but we did not manage to get over the line and a trophy was amazing but not defining of us ………… 2012 was hammering our greatest rivals in the cup final

The greatest game in history with out a doubt 

2012 didn’t “define” us (whatever the **** that even means) either. Beating a Rangers side that contained many players that would be considered Rangers legends was a bigger achievement than beating a team of loanees and losers that had just avoided relegation on the final day. 

Not sure why you’re trying to equate 1998 with failure either. That’s such a weird stance to take. 

Edited by Nunya Business

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

We have played often in the USA but I am not aware of is ever playing in North Africa. Morocco a remote and exotic  place and poetic licence.

Nothing better than a nice tagine washed down by a bottle of Moroccan red wine and finished off with a hookah.  

2 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

2012 didn’t “define” us (whatever the **** that even means) either. Beating a Rangers side that contained many players that would be considered Rangers legends was a bigger achievement than beating a team of loanees and losers that had just avoided relegation on the final day. 

Not sure why you’re trying to equate 1998 with failure either. That’s such a weird stance to take. 

Ignoring whether 16th or 19th was better, do you approve of us still singing NYD and if so, why? 

2012 didn’t “define” us (whatever the **** you’re on about here) either. Beating a Rangers side that contained many players that would be considered Rangers legends was a bigger achievement than beating a team of loanees and losers that had just avoided relegation on the final day. 

Nothing weird about it 1998 was our finally winning a trophy again season it was made special by the long wait before hand …………… it is like Hibs trying to claim that 2016 some how wiped away the cup final hammering we inflicted on them

The song is about the greatest game in history ……….. if that for some is finally winning something after years of failure then fair enough but not for me 

the greatest result and there for in my opinion game was hammering our rival in the Scottish cup final

The Hogfather
Just now, Poseidon said:

Ignoring whether 16th or 19th was better, do you approve of us still singing NYD and if so, why? 

I don’t really care.

The Hogfather
Just now, Sooks said:

Nothing weird about it 1998 was our finally winning a trophy again season it was made special by the long wait before hand …………… it is like Hibs trying to claim that 2016 some how wiped away the cup final hammering we inflicted on them

The song is about the greatest game in history ……….. if that for some is finally winning something after years of failure then fair enough but not for me 

the greatest result and there for in my opinion game was hammering our rival in the Scottish cup final

You’re the one trying to make it about years of failure champ. Go to bed and sleep off whatever you’ve been necking tonight. 

I don’t really care.

Fair enough. I would prefer us to change it but appreciate lots of others won't 

You’re the one trying to make it about years of failure champ. Go to bed and sleep off whatever you’ve been necking tonight. 

No you and others are the ones equating it to failure because it is only deemed so important against our other trophies because we failed so many times before it

I will be going to bed soon thanks ……. I have been working a shift though and my work would not be happy if I was drinking

May be just go to bed your self 

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There were more teams that knocked the place back than teams that they beat to reach the quarter or semi or what ever it was they managed

Chelsea

Aberdeen

us

to name a few if I remember right

**** defining our selfs by failure though nah

True, it was an invitational event organised by Real Madrid.  Many of the European FAs were against it, as you say Chelsea turned it down after the only season they won the league before Abramovich took over, because the English FA were against the proposal and threatened Chelsea with sanctions if they took part.

These initial European Cups were not sanctioned by UEFA, which didn't exist at that time.  Likewise early World Cups were on an invitational basis, there was no FIFA at that time.  These governing bodies only emerged after the concept of continental club tournaments and global international tournaments started to gain traction.

Just now, Poseidon said:

💪😂 19th May 🍻

It is what I always sing ………. Since that great day any way : - )

1 minute ago, RobNox said:

True, it was an invitational event organised by Real Madrid.  Many of the European FAs were against it, as you say Chelsea turned it down after the only season they won the league before Abramovich took over, because the English FA were against the proposal and threatened Chelsea with sanctions if they took part.

These initial European Cups were not sanctioned by UEFA, which didn't exist at that time.  Likewise early World Cups were on an invitational basis, there was no FIFA at that time.  These governing bodies only emerged after the concept of continental club tournaments and global international tournaments started to gain traction.

Nice post and a nod to a mother song that folk get wrong …………. If you know your history which you clearly do ; - )

Just now, Sooks said:

Nice post and a nod to a mother song that folk get wrong …………. If you know your history which you clearly do ; - )

a nother 

16th>19th

Pretty sure that'll be a generational thing though. Those who only know 2006 and 2012 will always say 19th May is the greatest game in history. But I reckon at least 90% of those who witnessed the 16th will say that tops all others. 

Edited by Norm

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

16th>19th

Pretty sure that'll be a generational thing though. Those who only know 2006 and 2012 will always say 19th May is the greatest game in history. But I reckon at least 90% of those who witnessed the 16th will say that tops all others. 

I was at 86 98 06 and 12

The debate is not about which game meant the most to you it is about the lyric in the song that cites the greatest game in history 

if that is 1998 for some then it is totally because of the failures that went before it for so long

for me it is 2012 because that was the greatest game in history for me

which result we all remember as being the best is a nother debate

what we can surely all agree on though is the game on new years day is not the best choice of lyric because we do not really have that in our arsenal unfortunately 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

Nope. 

10 minutes ago, Norm said:
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I was at 86 98 06 and 12

The debate is not about which game meant the most to you it is about the lyric in the song that cites the greatest game in history 

if that is 1998 for some then it is totally because of the failures that went before it for so long

what we can surely all agree on though is the game on new years day is not the best choice of lyric because we do not really have that in our arsenal unfortunately 

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I was at 86 98 06 and 12

^this

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

Why the bejeesus do the majority still sing 'New year's day' instead of 'Nineteenth May'? 

Because that has always been sung, before any cup wins post 56.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

I've always believed it's reference to the traditional NYD derby.

"The greatest game in history" = the Edinburgh derby

I've never even thought about it meaning an individual match.

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Because that has always been sung, before any cup wins post 56.  🤷‍♂️

plenty songs become embarrassingly meaningless over the years and when that happens it is advisable to alter them to reflect reality

Just now, Alan_R said:

Good answer. This is what I thought from a comment earlier ^. 

My petition is therefore to change it to another date given NYD is not a good day for us 😂

1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

That is what it was referencing but sadly our record in that fixture includes two of the worst results in our clubs history and for that reason I prefer to cite the greatest game in our history quite accurately as the 19 th May

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Sorry but no it was not it was a wonderful occasion but it was only that because of previous failures ………. The greatest game and result in our history in my opinion will always be hammering our biggest rival in the Scottish Cup final

Never define your self by previous failures that is for Hibs fans

Never define yourself or Hearts by reference to Hibs.

Francis Albert
20 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Absolutely. No problem with  wording of that song. But then to say one win of many in games vs them is OUR  greatest game? The 56 cup final to name but one is a contender. 

Francis Albert

The Hearts song doesn't mention Hibs. It identifies our rivals as Rangers and Celtic. As it should for Edinburgh's major club.

Maple Leaf
5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I don't recall us ever playing in Morocco, but it certainly was not in the 1950s as suggested in an earlier post.  I remember us playing Liege of Belgium around 1958, but that was it.