Ellis Simms

Hearts1975

TyphoonJambo
2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

He'll not get away with that against Porteous. Not because he's good, but because he'll be rolling about the ground holding his face.

Hope Robbie has a word before the game.

"Right Ellis mate, your a big lad so if this lanky stream of piss does go down holding his face. Make sure his nose is plastered all over it".

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• InternationalJambo

• Unknown user

• 1971fozzy

Mr Elwood P
17 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Always appreciated when a loan player relishes the opportunity. 

Yes he sees his future in the EPL but he knows how important this loan is for him and is doing his best. 

And that’s all we want 🤷‍♂️

No way he's playing in the EPL. English Championship after another season on loan with Hearts. 

Can see him being a big part of the rest of the season for us  next 6, hopefully 7 games. He will relish the open space at Hampden 

Nookie Bear
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

No way he's playing in the EPL. English Championship after another season on loan with Hearts. 

I agree but he will want a chance at that level and at least appreciates he needs to prove himself with us first. 
Not every loan signing appreciates that 🤷‍♂️

gorgie rools
31 minutes ago, Factuer Moi said:

Put your money on Simms to net V Them next weekend.

Thought he was superb yesterday.  Led the line well. Had a couple of great chances. There's a goal on the way 

only problem i have with him is not trying to head the ball when its in the opponents box he often tries to wait for the ball to fall to knee level when hes so tall theres no excuse for not going up for more headers

jamboinglasgow

I hope we are already speaking to Everton about at least extending his loan to next season (I still think at the moment he would be too much to buy, unless Everton go down and doing a fire sale to balance the books.)

I thought he was unlucky with the chance in the first half. The camera behind the goal showed that Rocky came in from the side making it harder to get a chip in the right direction. But the first goal is down to him, his strength and determination turned what would most times be a player losing the ball due to being crowded in the box to a chance.

Agree with the comments that he needs to improve his first touch and is not the target man in the air he should be for his height but he is the perfect foil for holding up the ball and allowing Boyce and others more space as he drags defenders away and I can see how much he has improved the more games he plays. As others have said, a great team player. 

His contribution to the side is invaluable. Tremendous player that is never bullied. Remember some of the lightweights we’ve seen in the Levein era . Simms is a machine and hungry. Loan signings as we know too well are very risky but our recruitment is spot on. Long may it continue. Fabulous player and like a few we are lucky to have him/them

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

His contribution to the side is invaluable. Tremendous player that is never bullied. Remember some of the lightweights we’ve seen in the Levein era . Simms is a machine and hungry. Loan signings as we know too well are very risky but our recruitment is spot on. Long may it continue. Fabulous player and like a few we are lucky to have him/them

In all honesty you would have to probably go back to the JJ era to see a squad rebuild, and like we are seeing now. 

Another huge plus is BM resigning. You aren't going to tell me that If he had waited until the summer that he wouldn't have had a host of suitors and probably some clubs who were a lot bigger than us or who could have offered him more money who would have wanted to take him 

The fact that he wanted to extend his stay was simply down to what he  perceives  moving forward, and his new contract demonstrates that our top players are buying into the future vision of the club 

Rocky jamboa

I'm sure we'll be looking to extend Simms stay with us but suppose it will be up to Everton if we extend his loan, sign him permanently, or he goes back to them. I reckon at worst he'll stay another year on loan. 

12 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

In all honesty you would have to probably go back to the JJ era to see a squad rebuild, and like we are seeing now. 

Another huge plus is BM resigning. You aren't going to tell me that If he had waited until the summer that he wouldn't have had a host of suitors and probably some clubs who were a lot bigger than us or who could have offered him more money who would have wanted to take him 

The fact that he wanted to extend his stay was simply down to what he  perceives  moving forward, and his new contract demonstrates that our top players are buying into the future vision of the club 

I agree. Also it says a lot for Robbie and the team that BM has signed up again. We are in a very good place. Kingsley, BM, beningame, Natty, Devlin, Gordon all signed up.  Only lost soapy. Amazing really. 
get Simms for a year and it would be incredible 

Rick Sanchez

I'm not sure we want Everton relegated tbh. We seem to have developed a decent relationship with them. Beni said David Unsworth was a big factor saying we were a great club to be joining.

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I agree. Also it says a lot for Robbie and the team that BM has signed up again. We are in a very good place. Kingsley, BM, beningame, Natty, Devlin, Gordon all signed up.  Only lost soapy. Amazing really. 
get Simms for a year and it would be incredible 

Best transfer/contract business since, well, as far back as I remember.

Vlad brought in some incredible players, but never built a squad that looks like it could challenge for a while.

Kingsley, Halkett, McKay, Devlin, Beni, Atkinson, Halliday, Smith, Gordon. These are top quality SPFL Premiership players, on contracts that mean we aren't going to be losing the spine of our squad for pennies on a pre-contract next season.

Which means we have the basis to build on and improve even more, with European group football and the money it brings, all but guaranteed. 

Our youth teams are in cup finals, our first team are miles ahead of the rest of the pack, and unless we sell players (which would only be for large sums anyway so still positives to take), we shouldn't go backwards as we have the security of these contracts. 

We can only go forwards the next couple of seasons. The question is, just how far forward can we go? 

8 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

"Right Ellis mate, your a big lad so if this lanky stream of piss does go down holding his face. Make sure his nose is plastered all over it".

😂😂😂😂😂

Are you Gary Locke?

fabienleclerq
8 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

I still don’t think he uses his strength, stature and pace to its full capability. He doesn’t win much in the air and doesn’t close down and chase things down enough for me, undoubtedly has great potential but if he just worked a bit harder he’d get far more of the ball and so far more with it. 

I think he wins and certainly won his fair share in the air Saturday. He had numerous flick ons and used his strength well. His pace worried them big time. I just think he needs to be more ruthless in front of goal and put his foot through it. 

His chance he chipped he either needs to smash it before his extra touch or go across the defender, the defender needs to then foul him or leave him. 

JennytheJambo

Give you a laugh, my husband (Hibby) thinks Simms is just a big huddy up front like Uche, Nade etc. shows what little they know about decent players. 

The Bannon Flick

I think Simms will score on Saturday - running into space behind from a through ball from Boyce or McKay.

Just have a feeling that McKay is going to run riot on Saturday and create a good few chances 

I like Simms, strong and mobile. Big pitch on Saturday will suit him, running onto to through balls, let's hope he has his shooting boots with him.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, feej said:

I like Simms, strong and mobile. Big pitch on Saturday will suit him, running onto to through balls, let's hope he has his shooting boots with him.

He's ****ing epic, for Halliday's first I hadn't realised he'd received the ball on the edge of the box before battering his way to the byline, with not a little skill too.

Re his shooting, I mind seeing a thing on Real Madrid ages ago, they were coaching their strikers to shoot close to the keeper in one on ones so he doesn't have time to throw an arm out. I reckon this is what Ellis has been taught and he's just not quite tuned it in yet.

Edited by Smithee

highlandjambo3
On 09/04/2022 at 23:19, ToqueJambo said:

Love the big guy. We've scored a number of goals when he's basically tied about 3 defenders (and what looks like himself although I like to think he's just awkward looking) in knots so someone else can steam in and score. 

This….he isn’t scoring a lot but he drags players about creating space for others to score……I do think he’ll bag one on Saturday though.

We_are_the_Hearts
44 minutes ago, JennytheJambo said:

Give you a laugh, my husband (Hibby) thinks Simms is just a big huddy up front like Uche, Nade etc. shows what little they know about decent players. 

Unlike Melkerson and Mueller who are just wee huddies 😂 and shite.

Unknown user
56 minutes ago, JennytheJambo said:

😆

31 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He's ****ing epic, for Halliday's first I hadn't realised he'd received the ball on the edge of the box before battering his way to the byline, with not a little skill too.

Re his shooting, I mind seeing a thing on Real Madrid ages ago, they were coaching their strikers to shoot close to the keeper in one on ones so he doesn't have time to throw an arm out. I reckon this is what Ellis has been taught and he's just not quite tuned it in yet.

Would love us to try and keep him for next season as I think we'll see the best of him then. 

I'm not sure what coaching they give them, but I thought he should have hit early as that gives him more if the goal to aim at and lessens the keepers chance of narrowing the angle. At the end of the day it didn't matter though. Still had enough to beat that shower without having to come out of 2nd gear.

1 hour ago, JennytheJambo said:

2 players btw who routinely bullied them 😆

Big huddies that both scored against Hibs! 😊

bringonthesevco

You married a Hibby !!!!!

I see David Unsworth has left Everton ( not sure if this has been commented on elsewhere on here). 

Not sure who will replace him as their U23 manager but might be someone who has never seen Simms play. 

Maybe increase our chances of keeping him?

BackOfTheNet
3 hours ago, stuart500 said:

I see David Unsworth has left Everton ( not sure if this has been commented on elsewhere on here). 

Not sure who will replace him as their U23 manager but might be someone who has never seen Simms play. 

Maybe increase our chances of keeping him?

Unsworth has left to pursue management opportunities, so depending where he ends up he may take a few Everton graduates with him. So in a way we could see players like Simms joining him if he manages to get a decent job in the summer after the inevitable sackings and resignations the end of season brings.

On 10/04/2022 at 22:07, 1971fozzy said:

Do you mean the likes of Uche?

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Do you mean the likes of Uche?

He did go down easily. I remember a few times it only took a wee assault to get him off the ball.

9 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

He did go down easily. I remember a few times it only took a wee assault to get him off the ball.

The best one was when at least two Motherwell defenders were having a go at him like lions trying to down a wildebeast ending up with one of them grappling Uche around the neck in a head-lock. Ref's decision? Free kick to Motherwell.

I wish that I could find the picture of that.

Heartsofgold
On 11/04/2022 at 02:20, JennytheJambo said:

Sure that’s grounds for a divorce. Any (establishment) judge will grant it on grounds of spousal stupidity. 

On 11/04/2022 at 01:59, Mr Elwood P said:

That's where Everton look likely to be playing next season.

We_are_the_Hearts

Have a feeling this will be the Simms Derby. Big mans work rate and strength is unreal and allows Boyce and McKay space to play. The goals will come.

7 hours ago, Herbert. said:

He chose to go down.  He was hardly a lightweight and I remember defenders bouncing off him.

Edited by JamboAl

Bazzas right boot

I noticed His touch was better on Saturday, by that I mean his first touch never ended up at his chin or 10 feet away. 

It was noticeably tighter tho. 

He's a good player and a good team player. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I noticed His touch was better on Saturday, by that I mean his first touch never ended up at his chin or 10 feet away. 

It was noticeably tighter tho. 

He's a good player and a good team player. 

In the lead up to the first goal I got the impression he had been receiving a bit of coaching from McCulloch.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

In the lead up to the first goal I got the impression he had been receiving a bit of coaching from McCulloch.

Possibly. 

Good shout. 

upgotheheads
On 09/04/2022 at 22:50, Hearts1975 said:

Was trying to find a previous thread on him but although the likes of Halliday, Halkett, and the man magician Barrie will take most of the plaudits today, and rightly so, I genuinely thought that Ellis absolutely ragdolled their whole backline 

They didn't have a clue how to deal with him. His physicality and energy throughout the game caused them untold grief and problems 

if this boy scored more goals than he did, he would be an absolute superstar 

Really confident that next week on the big pitch he will set about them again 

Would be great to maybe get him again for next season. I don't think you would need to ask the lad twice for him to extend. Hopefully Everton play ball but as I said, he bullied them today constantly, and his work rate was great 

On 09/04/2022 at 22:56, Clacks Jambo said:

Agree completely, thought he was excellent. Never hides, not afraid to put himself about, and his strength up against Hanlon for the first was top class. I like the balance he brings to the team especially with Boyce playing deeper.

On 10/04/2022 at 16:43, Brick Tamland said:

I still don’t think he uses his strength, stature and pace to its full capability. He doesn’t win much in the air and doesn’t close down and chase things down enough for me, undoubtedly has great potential but if he just worked a bit harder he’d get far more of the ball and so far more with it. 

I must fess up to having the same opinion as Brick T after the game on Saturday, until I watched the analysis on tv after the game. I think BT has a point though, he often seems to be out-positioned by defenders who manage to manoeuvre him off the ball to often for such a big lad. However when he gets it right as at the first goal he's a big asset, and if he can learn to boss defenders a bit more he could be a great signing next season. I hope we can keep him but we need at least one more big forward imo.

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I must fess up to having the same opinion as Brick T after the game on Saturday, until I watched the analysis on tv after the game. I think BT has a point though, he often seems to be out-positioned by defenders who manage to manoeuvre him off the ball to often for such a big lad. However when he gets it right as at the first goal he's a big asset, and if he can learn to boss defenders a bit more he could be a great signing next season. I hope we can keep him but we need at least one more big forward imo.

I think the criticisms are valid to an extent, but you can see his touch has improved and he's getting more and more involved.

Quite a large part of his value is just tying defenders up and creating openings because they know if he gets free he's a problem and he's definitely getting better and better at that.

Like others have said, I think he's a little bit of learning and a touch of luck away from exploding.

Famous 1874

Offer Everton a fair fee and a buy back option in the future. 

Win win. We get a good player and if he is doing really well, Everton can buy him back whilst we make a profit. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 09/04/2022 at 22:50, Hearts1975 said:

Was trying to find a previous thread on him but although the likes of Halliday, Halkett, and the man magician Barrie will take most of the plaudits today, and rightly so, I genuinely thought that Ellis absolutely ragdolled their whole backline 

They didn't have a clue how to deal with him. His physicality and energy throughout the game caused them untold grief and problems 

if this boy scored more goals than he did, he would be an absolute superstar 

Really confident that next week on the big pitch he will set about them again 

Would be great to maybe get him again for next season. I don't think you would need to ask the lad twice for him to extend. Hopefully Everton play ball but as I said, he bullied them today constantly, and his work rate was great 

Quality player, great movement and that was a right finish today

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Quality player, great movement and that was a right finish today

He was absolutely immense today. Thought his touch was much much better.  MoM for me.