Ellis Simms

Hearts1975

Was trying to find a previous thread on him but although the likes of Halliday, Halkett, and the man magician Barrie will take most of the plaudits today, and rightly so, I genuinely thought that Ellis absolutely ragdolled their whole backline 

They didn't have a clue how to deal with him. His physicality and energy throughout the game caused them untold grief and problems 

if this boy scored more goals than he did, he would be an absolute superstar 

Really confident that next week on the big pitch he will set about them again 

Would be great to maybe get him again for next season. I don't think you would need to ask the lad twice for him to extend. Hopefully Everton play ball but as I said, he bullied them today constantly, and his work rate was great 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• InternationalJambo

• Unknown user

• Hearts1975

Clacks Jambo

Agree completely, thought he was excellent. Never hides, not afraid to put himself about, and his strength up against Hanlon for the first was top class. I like the balance he brings to the team especially with Boyce playing deeper.

By the way, he's a big part of how we play. Great presence up front and can shift. Needs to work on his first touch though.

Nookie Bear

Always appreciated when a loan player relishes the opportunity. 

Yes he sees his future in the EPL but he knows how important this loan is for him and is doing his best. 

And that’s all we want 🤷‍♂️

Bunny Munro

If Everton stay up and we confirm group stages of Europe I can see him being back next season on another loan.

Edited by Bunny Munro

16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Always appreciated when a loan player relishes the opportunity. 

Yes he sees his future in the EPL but he knows how important this loan is for him and is doing his best. 

And that’s all we want 🤷‍♂️

100 percent 👍

Guest ToqueJambo

Love the big guy. We've scored a number of goals when he's basically tied about 3 defenders (and what looks like himself although I like to think he's just awkward looking) in knots so someone else can steam in and score. 

Thought he was outstanding at leading the mine against an experienced spl defender in Hanlon, people have to remember that he’s only 21 & still developing as a footballer, yes he has parts of his game he could improve. For me his first touch & decision making on the ball in the box when you pass when you shoot could be better but he gets into great positions & the run today outside to in for McKay ball was perfect! I’d be going all out to get him signed in any capacity next season! I see a 15 goal striker in him as he develops 

best in the land

Hopefully can get him for another year if in our wage structure.

Finishing will hopefully improve with games.

Need another stronger finisher for next season in addition.

Glamorgan Jambo

The big guy had a great game today. And was very unlucky with his chip over the keeper first half. Would be great if we could

keep him next season. May be a lot of competition from the Championship.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

The big guy had a great game today. And was very unlucky with his chip over the keeper first half. Would be great if we could

keep him next season. May be a lot of competition from the Championship.

No Championship team can offer him European football and atmospheres and occasions like today and OF games though. Hopefully he makes a football decision.

8 minutes ago, campbell said:

Thought he was outstanding at leading the mine against an experienced spl defender in Hanlon, people have to remember that he’s only 21 & still developing as a footballer, yes he has parts of his game he could improve. For me his first touch & decision making on the ball in the box when you pass when you shoot could be better but he gets into great positions & the run today outside to in for McKay ball was perfect! I’d be going all out to get him signed in any capacity next season! I see a 15 goal striker in him as he develops 

Next week is his calling 

Glamorgan Jambo
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No Championship team can offer him European football and atmospheres and occasions like today and OF games though. Hopefully he makes a football decision.

True but they can probably cover more of his salary than we can. And it’s debatable but he may see the Championship as a faster gateway to playing in the EPL. There are some big clubs there (Forest, West Brom, Sheffield Utd etc)

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Not a natural finisher but by god he is damn good 

This.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

True but they can probably cover more of his salary than we can. And it’s debatable but he may see the Championship as a faster gateway to playing in the EPL. There are some big clubs there (Forest, West Brom, Sheffield Utd etc)

Another factor in our favour is the type of player around him at Hearts. Players like Boyce and McKay must be a joy for a striker to play with.

Barney bulge

His first touch at times is  unbelievably bad.really let us down first half hour.his leading of the line afterwards was outstanding and was a total menace second half. I can see him having much better game next week on bigger pitch and having them ran ragged !!!! 

heartsfc_fan

I like him. He hassled and harried the Hibs defense.

7/10 performance.

It would've been a 9/10 if he'd put that chance in the first half in. That was a sitter.

Guest ToqueJambo
16 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

7/10 performance.

It would've been a 9/10 if he'd put that chance in the first half in. That was a sitter.

The chip? Thought he was unlucky there. Good composure and skill to dink it over and looking at the replays it seems to have taken a weird bounce although it might still have hit the post at best. Agree if he can add more goals he'd be the complete striker for us. What an upgrade on Gnando though.

48 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Not a natural finisher but by god he is damn good 

The work he does up front allows others to score, he might be good for getting maybe just into double figures in terms of goals scored, but a lot of other goals are scored as a result of his play.

Not a direct comparison, but reminds me of Sandy Clark in a way.  Sandy was never a prolific scorer for us, though would chip in with his fair share, but he was the physical presence up front who worked his socks off every week.  Robbo and JC scored a lot of goals thanks to Sandy's endeavour.

I am gonna go out on a limb here but I am not too bothered if we don't secure him for next season and doubt we will anyway but hope Savage is already scouting alternatives. I don't think he challenges strongly for enough 50/50 balls and doesn't score enough but happy to be disagreed with if people think there is nobody better we are looking at.

1 hour ago, RobNox said:

The work he does up front allows others to score, he might be good for getting maybe just into double figures in terms of goals scored, but a lot of other goals are scored as a result of his play.

Not a direct comparison, but reminds me of Sandy Clark in a way.  Sandy was never a prolific scorer for us, though would chip in with his fair share, but he was the physical presence up front who worked his socks off every week.  Robbo and JC scored a lot of goals thanks to Sandy's endeavour.

Sorry to add to my own post above but he is nowhere near contributing to Hearts what Sandy Clark did. 

I've loved what I've seen of him and he has plenty of time to improve his first touch, heading and finishing.

He's putting everything into it and probably just lacks a bit of composure.  He looks to me as if he wants to stay but I can't possibly know that.

We'll just have to see what happens but a couple of goals against Porty next week would do him and us no end of good.

Bazzas right boot

His first touch means he won't play at a high level in the EPL. 

He's a good play tho, a team player. 

Because of him Boyce, aki, McKay etc get more space. 

Team player and a good one. 

Hope he stays. 

Has his obvious strengths and weaknesses, puts in a ton of effort, and at only 21 has plenty of room to develop.

Does anyone know when his contract at Everton is up? I'd be happy to have Simms back if we can sign him up, either this summer or next year after another loan spell. Wouldn't be too keen on continuing his development if we can't bring him in permanently though.

Finlay James

Porteous will get himself sent off next week by trying to mark Ellis out of the game.

He had a great second half and showed good strength for the first. On first viewing I thought it was a sitter but looking at the replay Bushiri gives him a nudge at the crucial time, putting him off balance resulting in him putting it wide. For all we slag him, Hibs missed Porteous today and will be stronger at the back when he returns. Hopefully, refs are getting wise to his shennanigans. We need to get in his ear and wind him up. He loses focus easily.

TyphoonJambo
4 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Porteous will get himself sent off next week by trying to mark Ellis out of the game.

I was going to post this. I can see daft Porto doing something dumb.

He's had a huge impact on creating space for Boyce and taking the pressure off him since he came in. Love his endeavour and he's clearly got ability. Hope we can get him for another season 

Disser Pointon
5 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

I am gonna go out on a limb here but I am not too bothered if we don't secure him for next season and doubt we will anyway but hope Savage is already scouting alternatives. I don't think he challenges strongly for enough 50/50 balls and doesn't score enough but happy to be disagreed with if people think there is nobody better we are looking at.

I agree, I think we can and will do better. 

I think he is thr classic example of a player that exposes and triggers  fical football fans...if we win will get a thread like this...if we lose will be a scapegoat and target for a negative thread...irrespective of his performance.

colinmaroon
7 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

7/10 performance.

TBF he was barged just as he tried to lift the ball by that big nightmare of theirs.

Most would have gone down.

Edited by colinmaroon

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, RobNox said:

This echoes my thoughts almost exactly. What Simms brings to the team allows others more space, time and opportunities. He is a team player in a similar way to Clark. 

Would love Simms to stay as I think he could develop and add more to his game to our, and his benefit. A second loan deal or if we can, a permanent deal would be most pleasing.

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, D4nny_ said:

His first touch is questionable and needs attention but for sure he’s a good all rounder!

I like Simms and think he's brought a lot to the team but...

How can someone make it into an EPL squad while still having to develop a first touch? Isn't that something that, if it's not an innate skill, you'd develop while you're playing under 10s/11s/12s football? There's enough lads going through squads and academies with pro clubs that surely lots of them barely think about their first touch? 

It's one of the harder parts of the game and I just don't get how someone would be expected to suddenly develop it aged 21. Positional sense, using your physicality and decision making (to an extent) can all be trained into a late teenager.

Absolute Scenes

His reaction coming off says it all. Throws his arms up in frustration at having not scored but his contribution to the game was outstanding. He was mere inches to scoring a brilliant goal, but maybe just tried to be too casual. Should have slammed it into the corner however, played a pivotal part on the first goal and was outstanding all game. 

15 hours ago, Cruyff said:

If we can afford to buy him on a permanent transfer, we have to do it.

Class player. 

100%.

Wonder how much it would take to do it?

His finishing isn't the best, but he's only 21, and he offers so much more. Hanlon struggled big time against his twisting and turning which ultimately led to a goal. 

Worth putting an offer in if the player is open to staying and worst case another seasons loan deal. 

colinmaroon
38 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

His reaction coming off says it all. Throws his arms up in frustration at having not scored but his contribution to the game was outstanding. He was mere inches to scoring a brilliant goal, but maybe just tried to be too casual. Should have slammed it into the corner however, played a pivotal part on the first goal and was outstanding all game. 

He definitely got a hefty thump from their big numpty just as was lifting the ball.

Brick Tamland

I still don’t think he uses his strength, stature and pace to its full capability. He doesn’t win much in the air and doesn’t close down and chase things down enough for me, undoubtedly has great potential but if he just worked a bit harder he’d get far more of the ball and so far more with it. 

Rick Sanchez

He'll not get away with that against Porteous. Not because he's good, but because he'll be rolling about the ground holding his face.

Hope Robbie has a word before the game.