Oasis

alanjambo

I will ashamedly admit to liking I Can See A Liar... lyrically it's awful but it rocks with its Stifler out.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gigolo-Aunt

Andy Bell has written better songs than Noel.

I like Noel, seems a top guy.

Andy Bell come home.

chester copperpot
Andy Bell has written better songs than Noel.

I like Noel, seems a top guy.

Andy Bell come home.

Fwiw, I loved Erasure, top top band (I have a cracking story to share if you have the time).

I'm assuming thats the Andy Bell you're talking about?

Did ye fall for it mate?

Gigolo-Aunt
Fwiw, I loved Erasure, top top band (I have a cracking story to share if you have the time).

Andy...

Andy Bell plays Bass in Oasis.

He was the guitar player/joint songwriter in Ride and then Hurricane#1.

Its not often I am lost for words, but I am now.

:)

chester copperpot

Did ye fall for it mate?

Mate, I tried to trap you, see the above post I made that was in white.

Dang you, you're too musically clever.

Gigolo-Aunt

I just try to go about my business helping society in whatever way I can.

:P

If anyone is game for a shot...

Ride- Nowhere.

Shoegazetastic.

:)

Carl Spackler

Definitely Maybe and the concert at Irvine Beach are two of the most memorable things in my life to date.

Oasis are p&^h now. Two albums worth talking about and a s^%t load of brillliant, brillant b-sides.

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Definitely Maybe and the concert at Irvine Beach are two of the most memorable things in my life to date.

Oasis are p&^h now. Two albums worth talking about and a s^%t load of brillliant, brillant b-sides.

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

I agree.

And if Fade Away had been their burn out song...

(He says, listening to Be Here Now and annoyingly enjoying it).

Gigolo-Aunt

Its The La's released another album, would be at the front of the cue.

End of the day, its up to the band to produce over years and albums. Some have it, and some dont.

Dont mean that the original statement should loose any of the appeal.

chester copperpot

End of the day, its up to the band to produce over years and albums. Some have it, and some dont.

PAH.

Here's where GA and Andy's common interest ends.

Gigolo-Aunt
PAH.

Here's where GA and Andy's common interest ends.

Andy, The La's are up there with The Kinks.

Great great band.

chester copperpot
Andy, The La's are up there with The Kinks.

Great great band.

One hit wonders. LOL. Sorry, just kiddng, just not into them.;)

I thought the La's had been working on an album - i'm sure I read it somewhere.

Also I read Noel G saying he thinks the La's album as one, if not the, best albums of all time.

Personally for me, The Beatles will still always be the greatest band of all time. But for my lifetime Oasis are the best as they meant more to me and I grew up with them.

If anyone's interested, one of their new tracks has been leaked - it's not the album version but a version mixed by the Chemical Brothers.

http://thepopscene.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/oasis-falling-down-chemical-brothers-remix/

The new album is getting some rave reviews by the music journos. I can't wait!

Gigolo-Aunt

You probably did, mate.

It crops up every now and again in the music press. From what I gather, Lee Mavers pretty much records everyday but thats about it. From the hive of activity in 2005 with the live shows, its went a bit quite on the public domain side of things.

Think Noel Gallagher said...

"The La's opened the door, and we knocked it down"

Something like that.

Right, I'm away to bed. I've listened to Be Here Now almost all the way through and enjoyed it all.

As a very ill Freddie said: "I'm going slightly mad."

Carl Spackler
If anyone's interested, one of their new tracks has been leaked - it's not the album version but a version mixed by the Chemical Brothers.

http://thepopscene.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/oasis-falling-down-chemical-brothers-remix/

90s Piano Hook. Nice.

Assessment of Oasis return. Inconclusive.

Chemical Borthers best thing at T in the Park ( on the telly anyway ) definitley.

90s Piano Hook. Nice.

Assessment of Oasis return. Inconclusive.

Chemical Borthers best thing at T in the Park ( on the telly anyway ) definitley.

Suppose it depends how much of that track is going to be on the album and how much is CB's addition.

At the end of the day, Oasis fans will I'm sure enjoy the new album....if others enjoy it too, all the better.

no secret that i am no fan of oasis

i'd like to clarify that by saying i;m not a fan of HYPE

now, i'm not really a fan of oasis, mostly cos of the hype, and in no small part, because of liam, who i think is a bit of a ladygarden. (can u nick teatowels?)

my favourite oasis songs have always, usually rather, been sung by noel. liam is not a singer, not a writer, and a lazy arsed drunk quite frankly!

bear in mind, i'm not au fait with who is the writer in that band, unless anyone other than noel is writing their material

the majority of oasis songs have been ripped off, either musically or lyrically, from other bands, BUT they admit this, and in fairness everything these days is at least inspired by something else. they have put a new spin on it though, and made it their own style.

i've never seen them live but my idea of a "performer" just standing there, contemptuous of the fans and doing nothing strikes me as pretty boring.

ok, not many people are dancers, and even fewer bands would need or even want a dancer, and as sure as shecht stinks, oasis are not a band that would ever be conducive to using dancers, thank god, but at least talk to your audience? don't spit at them, abuse them, acknowledge THEY are the reason you have a gig ( and not in a celine dion "i love you, you make my life complete" type acknowledgment type either)

i still think they are a hugely over rated band, but that not a bad thing, led zep, floyd, queen, kylie..............

there are a good few songs i like, and a couple o actually REALLY like, so vive la difference from a not-an-oasis fan

at the end of it all the only thing we will ever agree on is whatever muic makes you happy, has a place in the world, whther 1 person loves it and relate to it, or the entire world loves it!

Chad Sexington

now, i'm not really a fan of oasis, mostly cos of the hype, and in no small part, because of liam, who i think is a bit of a ladygarden. (can u nick teatowels?)

my favourite oasis songs have always, usually rather, been sung by noel. liam is not a singer, not a writer, and a lazy arsed drunk quite frankly!

bear in mind, i'm not au fait with who is the writer in that band, unless anyone other than noel is writing their material

the majority of oasis songs have been ripped off, either musically or lyrically, from other bands, BUT they admit this, and in fairness everything these days is at least inspired by something else. they have put a new spin on it though, and made it their own style.

i've never seen them live but my idea of a "performer" just standing there, contemptuous of the fans and doing nothing strikes me as pretty boring.

ok, not many people are dancers, and even fewer bands would need or even want a dancer, and as sure as shecht stinks, oasis are not a band that would ever be conducive to using dancers, thank god, but at least talk to your audience? don't spit at them, abuse them, acknowledge THEY are the reason you have a gig ( and not in a celine dion "i love you, you make my life complete" type acknowledgment type either)

i still think they are a hugely over rated band, but that not a bad thing, led zep, floyd, queen, kylie..............

there are a good few songs i like, and a couple o actually REALLY like, so vive la difference from a not-an-oasis fan

at the end of it all the only thing we will ever agree on is whatever muic makes you happy, has a place in the world, whther 1 person loves it and relate to it, or the entire world loves it!

Beverly.

You're drunk.

;)

Also I read Noel G saying he thinks the La's album as one, if not the, best albums of all time.

Personally for me, The Beatles will still always be the greatest band of all time. But for my lifetime Oasis are the best as they meant more to me and I grew up with them.

Sounds more like a Chemical Brothers tune with Noel singing to me, but I may be proved wrong, it often happens.

New album will most likely disappoint but like with Hearts, I remain ever hopeful...

Beverly.

You're drunk.

;)

only a smidge, but not not so drunk as to spell your name wrong chad :P

edited to add, if i was sober my hatred of oasis would show me as less accepting ;)

Chad Sexington
only a smidge, but not not so drunk as to spell your name wrong chad :P

A thousand apologies Bev. ;)

TBH, If it wasn't for spell check, I'd be struggling to spell my my own name.

:wacko:

Several people have talked about Oasis and Liam in terms of Rock'n'Roll.

To me, Oasis are not a rock band. Led Zeppelin are a rock band. Deep Purple are a rock bank. Black Sabbath, The Who and Lynard Skynard are rock bands.

Liam Gallagher is not a Rock'n'Roll lead singer. Roger Daltry is. Mick Jagger is. Robert Plant is.

Listening to Come on Feel Teh Noize above was cringeworthy. Not because it was bad, but because it's pop, not Rock'N'Roll.

Oasis are all right, I have a few albums on my iTunes and I enjoy them, but I'm not sure they'll stand the test of time.

Hmm. Should be queue. But isn't. Poster is GA. Did he mean it? Is he ****ed? Is there a joke there? Don't think so. But he knows it should be queue. Probably ****ed.

**** knows. I'm ****ed too.

I'm away to bed.

As stated earlier in the thread, I don't deny that they have some great tunes. However, anyone who seriously thinks that Oasis were/could have been the best band of all time must be conveniently forgetting the existence of The Stones, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

But this is the JKB fantasy world where everybody can have different opinions. Perhaps the folks who like Oasis dont like Floyd, Zepplin etc. It is great to come on here with opinions, but the way some people put theirs across is almost like you are looking down on other members.

I will put my tuppence in and say there are no British bands who have been as consistent as Oasis over the last 20 years. Plenty of bands have brought out good songs, but I doubt if they will last as long.

The roses rocked. I proper love them. Fav band of all time for me. I guess its all about tastes, but I've actually never found a song made by them that I've disliked.

Prob just me though. Listen to them at least 3 times a week.

My fav band of all time aswell.Both albums imo are classics and the first is just one of those albums you can listen to time after time after time.Not many other albums i can do that with it's just usually a couple of listen throughs then after that it's skip to the song/songs you like.

blondejamtart

Well, I'd just like to go on record as saying I HATE Oasis - always have done.

But, before you all start slagging me, I'd also like to state that it would be be a pretty dull, boring old world if we all liked the same things.

I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again - my musical tastes are nothing if not eclectic and if I like something, then I like it whether other people do or not, so if you all love Oasis, that's fine by me. Just don't ask me to listen to them too.....:)

Oasis are not one of the best bands of all time, they were one of the best bands of a generation.

They brought a freshness to an otherwise stale British guitar music circuit with one superb album, backed with singles that had B sides as good as their best album tracks. They were a superb live experience, one that I travelled to two different countries to experience.

It all deteriorated in the rock and roll lifestyle, too much of everything over egged their cake.

Definitely Maybe WILL stand the test of time, as will a smattering of tracks not on said album, not much more of their stuff will.

Chad Sexington
Oasis are not one of the best bands of all time, they were one of the best bands of a generation.

They brought a freshness to an otherwise stale British guitar music circuit with one superb album, backed with singles that had B sides as good as their best album tracks. They were a superb live experience, one that I travelled to two different countries to experience.

It all deteriorated in the rock and roll lifestyle, too much of everything over egged their cake.

Definitely Maybe WILL stand the test of time, as will a smattering of tracks not on said album, not much more of their stuff will.

Spot on assessment there.

They were hugely exciting when they first came out.

They provided the soundtrack to my life for 12 months in the 90's.

Unfortunately, coke, arrogance and a lack of real musical depth turned them into The Ruttles.

Wouldn't watch them if they were playing in my back yard now.

Noel's always worth watching in interviews about more talented musicians though. :)

The Stone Roses were a great band and I also rate ?The Second Coming? highly but I think that they remain great because they disappeared. They didn?t have the chance to make a real stinker. Even the Beatles were losing it by the end with Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be. I know they were still capable of the second side of Abbey Road but to some extent they were being driven by George Martin. The trouble with the Oasis legacy is that they continue to produce and their production is compared to their past production and found wanting.

Apart from a very few, most bands that are considered great now, are bands that didn?t stay around too long, The Smiths, Lynard Skynard, The Doors, The Byrds, The Band, Zeppelin; I?m sure you could name a few more.

Just think how great the Rolling Stones would be now if they packed it in around 1972 or had all been killed in a plane crash.

Sheriff Fatman
Now, I don't think that Oasis ARE the greatest band of all time. I do think, however, that hey deserve to be considered with the same breath as the bands that you mention

:4_1_72: :4_1_72: :4_1_72: :4_1_72: :4_1_72: :4_1_72: :4_1_72: :4_1_72: :4_1_72: :4_1_72:

it'd be boring if we all had the same musical tastes,

but here's liams finest vocals just for you bev

thanks for that gigs.

just had a listen and its not bad. plenty attitude in the vocal, good guitar hook. thats the kind of oasis i don't mind, and i loved stop crying your heart out. generally speaking though i do prefer noels vocals.

never heard rocking chair before, and it doesn't make me want to kill people hehe.

doubt i'll ever be converted into a fan, but i'll listen to anything really cos even my most hated artists can sometimes com up with at least 1 song i'll enjoy

Oasis have released some great pop songs. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them but i'd be lying if I said Whatever or Champagne Supernova are bad songs.

But these kind of discussions are so pointless. Music is entirely subjective. Accept that and enjoy what you enjoy.

Not criticising you guys but i'd much rather see some discussion about records may not have discovered. Would be far more productive than debating if Oasis are "the best band ever".

The National will put in an incredible performance at TITP. If you've not heard Boxer give it a shot immediately. My favourite record by a mile in 2007.

Oasis have released some great pop songs. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them but i'd be lying if I said Whatever or Champagne Supernova are bad songs.

But these kind of discussions are so pointless. Music is entirely subjective. Accept that and enjoy what you enjoy.

Not criticising you guys but i'd much rather see some discussion about records may not have discovered. Would be far more productive than debating if Oasis are "the best band ever".

The National will put in an incredible performance at TITP. If you've not heard Boxer give it a shot immediately. My favourite record by a mile in 2007.

If we're talking bands with albums that should be heard but no-one seems to have, then I recommend Neptune by The Duke Spirit or The Felice Brothers by The Felice Brothers. Both excellent albums.

They brought a freshness to an otherwise stale British guitar music circuit.

Spot on.

Oasis were the first of the Britpop era, it was a fantastic thing to experience through my mid to late teenage years and moulded my music taste to this day.

I guess that's why approaching 30, some 14 years on, I would still name Oasis as well as Stereophonics, Ocean Colour Scene, Embrace, Cast, Catatonia and Travis among my favourite bands. That was my time.

Oasis will never release another album like Definitely Maybe or What's The Story, but at the same time they will never release any album without at least one absolute standout track on it.

Stand By Me, Sunday Morning Call, Stop Crying Your Heart Out, The Importance of Being Idle. All brilliant and I'm sure more to come.

Spot on.

Oasis were the first of the Britpop era, it was a fantastic thing to experience through my mid to late teenage years and moulded my music taste to this day.

I guess that's why approaching 30, some 14 years on, I would still name Oasis as well as Stereophonics, Ocean Colour Scene, Embrace, Cast, Catatonia and Travis among my favourite bands. That was my time.

Oasis will never release another album like Definitely Maybe or What's The Story, but at the same time they will never release any album without at least one absolute standout track on it.

Stand By Me, Sunday Morning Call, Stop Crying Your Heart Out, The Importance of Being Idle. All brilliant and I'm sure more to come.

I have 12 months on you, and I struggle to disagree.

Brilliant, in their time. Their best is rated extremely high, their okay stuff falls far short.

No Nonsense

Love Oasis to bits. Def Maybe, WTSMG, Masterplan and Be Here Now are all classic albums which more than earn their place in my music collection. Heathen Chemistry was a low point but which band that has released as many albums does not have a bad egg in their back catelougue. One thing that I really like about Oasis is the way that they divide opinion. You can have a discussion with someone that claims not to like Oasis but by the end of the converstation they are reminiscing about the songs and albums they are actually quite fond off...

Sounds a decent tune but wish Noel would leave the singing to Liam. Face it Noel you can't sing!

Oasis are awesome. Im a fan of most of their albums even the more recent ones. I think its hard to compare their most recent album, Dont Believe the Truth, with the likes of DM and What the Story. Music has changed alot since then, Noel and Liam will have different influences when writing songs and if you compare Dont Believe the Truth to other albums out that year, it outsold alot of them and is probably better than most of them aswell. Obviously DM, Whats the Story and The Masterplan are Oasis best work and provided foundations for their long lasting career, but I dont see any reason for them to stop making albums as when you compare them to other bands on the scene nowadays they are still bigger and better than alot of them.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
No more swimming in guitar shaped pools

No more reporters at my beck and call

No more coke now its only ground chalk

No more taxis now I'll have to walk

But didnt we have a nice time?

That's The Jam.

Oasis are one of my all-time favourite bands, but I agree with those who have said they have gone downhill since What's The Story. Also that their early B-sides are better than most bands best songs.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

08714_154326_digoutyoursoul.jpg

Not sure about the new album cover :eek:

The album's tracklisting:

'Bag It Up'

'The Turning'

'Waiting For The Rapture'

'The Shock Of The Lightning'

'I'm Outta Time'

'(Get Off Your) High Horse Lady'

'Falling Down'

'To Be Where There's Life'

'Ain't Got Nothin''

'The Nature Of Reality'

'Soldier On'

Just heard 20 seconds of 'The Shock of the Lightning' and the drumming sounds quality. There were no vocals on the sample released.

Adi Dassler

Oasis kickstarted my love affair with music, as they did with most people my age, and for that i will always be grateful.

Still love listening to them and every time they play i will always try and get tickets.

I can understand why they are not everybodies cup of tea but they caught me just at the right time. The music, the clothes, the attitude. A part of me will always be caught in that 90's timewarp.

Noel Gallagher and Jimmy Nail are probably the closest thing i've ever had to heroes.

"I wanna Talk Tonight.....'bout how you saved my life".

Love Oasis to bits. Def Maybe, WTSMG, Masterplan and Be Here Now are all classic albums which more than earn their place in my music collection. Heathen Chemistry was a low point but which band that has released as many albums does not have a bad egg in their back catelougue. One thing that I really like about Oasis is the way that they divide opinion. You can have a discussion with someone that claims not to like Oasis but by the end of the converstation they are reminiscing about the songs and albums they are actually quite fond off...

Blur? :)

Oasis kickstarted my love affair with music, as they did with most people my age, and for that i will always be grateful.

Still love listening to them and every time they play i will always try and get tickets.

I can understand why they are not everybodies cup of tea but they caught me just at the right time. The music, the clothes, the attitude. A part of me will always be caught in that 90's timewarp.

Noel Gallagher and Jimmy Nail are probably the closest thing i've ever had to heroes.

"I wanna Talk Tonight.....'bout how you saved my life".

That is absolutely spot on how I feel about them. I can listen to any of their songs and it takes me back. Maybe there's no real relevance to Oasis now, and I can understand why people don't like them, but they'll always remind me of great days.

Only thing I'd swap is your heroes. Mine were Noel Gallagher and John Colquhoun.

Archived