Oasis

alanjambo

In light of the thread about whether bands should split after one album, I decided to listen to Defintely Maybe tonight. Then I listened to Morning Glory. Now I'm listening to The Masterplan. Clearly the next step should be Be Here Now, which I'm happy to do. However, in this day of The Ting Tings and The Pigeon Detectives and Bowling For Soup I've got to thinking (beer has belped my thinking a lot).

People slag Oasis off a lot. I can understand a lot of it. A lot of people don't like Liam. A lot of people don't like Noel (though he's a hero of mine). Surely there can't be many people that can argue against such a brilliant back catalogue as Oasis's. OK, as a political imput it may be non-existant but as a band that can lift you up from darkness surely there are none that compare.

My opinion. Thoughts?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved Oasis. Those gigs at Irvine Beach and the first T in the Park and at Ingliston. The band stock still and the crowd going mental in front of them.

But I played the first couple of albums too much and got bored of them. Actually prefer the later ones (and the various B-sides).

But was in a shop the other day and they were belting out Definitely Maybe. Really took me back. Brilliant.

Amazing band. Masterplan should be included when mentioning their material as it's their second best album. I know it's built from B sides over a few years but who gies a ****. it's there and it's great. Also Liam's the best rock 'n' roll vocallist of my generation by a country mile.

I have to say I love listening (and singing along) to Oasis. Personally don't care a jot whether they're likeable characters or not. I think you hit the nail on the head about them lifting you up.

Amazing band. Masterplan should be included when mentioning their material as it's their second best album. I know it's built from B sides over a few years but who gies a ****. it's there and it's great. Also Liam's the best rock 'n' roll vocallist of my generation by a country mile.

You see that's like one of the most enjoyable conversations I've ever had. There were four of us blokes after The Killers at Glastonbury last year and there were four girls. All four girls said Liam was arrogant and rubbish. All four of us blokes were saying Liam's the best front man of our generation. We sunk slowly into the mud with this discussion but I've rarely been happier.

As it goes, I think that any band that can get 100,000 people singing songs they've known for years, with a singer that doesn't move, is genius. Only Oasis can get away with this. Only Liam Gallagher, no matter your thoughts on him, can get away with this.

I love Oasis. They make me happy.

Walter Kidd
I have to say I love listening (and singing along) to Oasis. Personally don't care a jot whether they're likeable characters or not. I think you hit the nail on the head about them lifting you up.

Talk tonight is Noels finest moment.

Liam is now everything he despised when starting out.

The negatives are obvious but as a band with a song for every occasion or every mood i am hard pushed to name any better over the past 20 years.

I love Oasis. They make me happy.

Sort of sums it up for me.

I think music's supposed to be enjoyed. Too many people decide they don't like a band and that means every piece of music they make is crap. There are lots of bands who have the odd song I like and lots I don't.

Oasis just have dozens of them that I like.

chester copperpot
I'm listening to Sad Song and I feel happy.

Only Oasis can do that to me.

Oasis are a great let down for me now. Still one of my fav bands of all time, but have declined slowly since Whats the Story. Be here now was pretty good, and the B side album was good, but not much else, and I buy all their stuff in the hope that they will hit the heights again. They're still the band to see live though. Absolute class live.

All that is IMO though.

Walter Kidd
Oasis are a great let down for me now. Still one of my fav bands of all time, but have declined slowly since Whats the Story. Be here now was pretty good, and the B side album was good, but not much else, and I buy all their stuff in the hope that they will hit the heights again. They're still the band to see live though. Absolute class live.

All that is IMO though.

IMO I love you xxx

It's probably a daft theory of mines, but I maintain if Oasis had released The Masterplan rather than Be Here Now they would quite simply be the best band of all-time. Those first three albums are immense (although I'm hyper-critical of Oasis and don't think WTSMG is all that).

Some of the songs on The Masterplan are better than any A-Side by some of the biggest bands about right now... it would take a lot to surpass Acquiese, Talk Tonight and Fade Away. I'm not a massive fan of the track The Masterplan but still think it's great and as for Headshrinker, never a classic per say but a fantastic Rock n'Roll tune. Makes me sad I lost the CD on a Megabus!

Walter Kidd
It's probably a daft theory of mines, but I maintain if Oasis had released The Masterplan rather than Be Here Now they would quite simply be the best band of all-time. Those first three albums are immense (although I'm hyper-critical of Oasis and don't think WTSMG is all that).

Some of the songs on The Masterplan are better than any A-Side by some of the biggest bands about right now... it would take a lot to surpass Acquiese, Talk Tonight and Fade Away. I'm not a massive fan of the track The Masterplan but still think it's great and as for Headshrinker, never a classic per say but a fantastic Rock n'Roll tune. Makes me sad I lost the CD on a Megabus!

Indeed mate. Noel Gallagher could have been our Dylan. Instead he snorted it away and let Jarvis Cocker have the final say on Britpop with This is Hardcore.

This is Hardcore makes me hard.

chester copperpot
Indeed mate. Noel Gallagher could have been our Dylan. Instead he snorted it away and let Jarvis Cocker have the final say on Britpop with This is Hardcore.

I used to get quite pee'd off when Noel was in his prime and kept putting 2 superb B songs on a single CD. Wish he'd kept them and made a few more albums that were right up there.

Walter Kidd
I used to get quite pee'd off when Noel was in his prime and kept putting 2 superb B songs on a single CD. Wish he'd kept them and made a few more albums that were right up there.

No more swimming in guitar shaped pools

No more reporters at my beck and call

No more coke now its only ground chalk

No more taxis now I'll have to walk

But didnt we have a nice time?

Pulp are very good but the only musician to ever give me a hard on is Abi from the Zutons in especially hard times.

this_is_my_story

Oh Dear...

this_is_my_story

Serious question - what are some of you guys smoking?

Serious question - what are some of you guys smoking?

I'm not saying they are, far from it. They had the potential to be the best, pure all out rock n'roll band going if they had followed Definitely Maybe and The Masterplan in a similar fashion. They didn't and for that they have been judged.

this_is_my_story
yER MAW

Hmm. What a brilliantly witty, and well-thought out reply.

School holidays I suppose....

this_is_my_story
I'm not saying they are, far from it. They had the potential to be the best, pure all out rock n'roll band going if they had followed Definitely Maybe and The Masterplan in a similar fashion. They didn't and for that they have been judged.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of their tunes - but to even consider suggesting that they could have been the best band of all time... 'Nuff said.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of their tunes - but to even consider suggesting that they could have been the best band of all time... 'Nuff said.

As I imply... they could have been the best at their gig but the best of all time...

Have to go a long way to beat The Proclaimers.

:P

If Oasis had split up in 1996 they would have been considered one of the greatest bands of all times. There's no doubt about that.

It's only the disappointin albums that hve followed that have shown people that they were just a great band.

It's a bit like Burley's Hearts A lot of us considere those 12 weeks to be ther greatest of all Hearts teams but would htey have won the league and proved it? We'll never ever know.

this_is_my_story
As I imply... they could have been the best at their gig but the best of all time...

Have to go a long way to beat The Proclaimers.

:P

Now you're just being silly, as if anyone could beat them...;)

If Oasis had split up in 1996 they would have been considered one of the greatest bands of all times. There's no doubt about that.

It's only the disappointin albums that hve followed that have shown people that they were just a great band.

It's a bit like Burley's Hearts A lot of us considere those 12 weeks to be ther greatest of all Hearts teams but would htey have won the league and proved it? We'll never ever know.

Yes Alan, yes they would.

:)

this_is_my_story

Seriously pal, by who?

Seriously pal, by who?

By a lot of people. Probably the same people who revere Joy Divsion and the like. There can be no doubt the effect that Oasis had on the 90's. If they'd split up in 1996, we'd only have know Definitely Maybe and ...Morning Glory. While Morning Glory may have some average songs on it, Definitely Maybe has enough to make people remember Oasis as a great band.

this_is_my_story
By a lot of people. Probably the same people who revere Joy Divsion and the like. There can be no doubt the effect that Oasis had on the 90's. If they'd split up in 1996, we'd only have know Definitely Maybe and ...Morning Glory. While Morning Glory may have some average songs on it, Definitely Maybe has enough to make people remember Oasis as a great band.

As stated earlier in the thread, I don't deny that they have some great tunes. However, anyone who seriously thinks that Oasis were/could have been the best band of all time must be conveniently forgetting the existence of The Stones, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

As stated earlier in the thread, I don't deny that they have some great tunes. However, anyone who seriously thinks that Oasis were/could have been the best band of all time must be conveniently forgetting the existence of The Stones, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Now, I don't think that Oasis ARE the greatest band of all time. I do think, however, that hey deserve to be considered with the same breath as the bands that you mention because even now, almost 15 years on, kids can listen to Definitely Maybe and recognise it as a classic. It takes a special band to do that.

I am sure that in twenty years people will still talk about Oasis in a positive light. They won't talk about the ****ing Pigeon Detectives.

Now, I don't think that Oasis ARE the greatest band of all time. I do think, however, that hey deserve to be considered with the same breath as the bands that you mention because even now, almost 15 years on, kids can listen to Definitely Maybe and recognise it as a classic. It takes a special band to do that.

I am sure that in twenty years people will still talk about Oasis in a positive light. They won't talk about the ****ing Pigeon Detectives.

When Family Guy finishes I'm going to put on Definitely Maybe, drink some beer and sing along. And it'll be just swell...

this_is_my_story

No offence, but that is an insult to the bands I've mentioned. Just out of curiosity (and I know it's hard to pick just one!) who would you say was the greatest band of all time? That's the great thing about music of course, we all have our own opinions and likes/dislikes... such a debate could rage on forever!:)

Cum on feel the Noise - what a cover. Anyone remember before the 96 final?

Got a non-video weblink? (My laptop can't handle the technology that is basic internet).

On the subject of songs I haven't heard for ages - Where the Wild Roses Grow by Nick Cave and Kylie came on BBC 6 earlier. Class.

Got a non-video weblink? (My laptop can't handle the technology that is basic internet).

Unfortunately I'm s**** with computers!

chester copperpot

There's no denying that there's a few decent bands in there. But its kinda inevitable that bands of this generation will take their influences from the groundbreaking bands like you've mentioned.

FWIW, I have the Stone Roses, Pink Floyd and Oasis as my top 3 bands.

chester copperpot

On the subject of songs I haven't heard for ages - Where the Wild Roses Grow by Nick Cave and Kylie came on BBC 6 earlier. Class.

Hopefully this works for you mate :)

watch?v=FxV10MA4eCY

this_is_my_story
There's no denying that there's a few decent bands in there. But its kinda inevitable that bands of this generation will take their influences from the groundbreaking bands like you've mentioned.

Best band in recent times - one hell of a lot better than Oasis, that's for sure!:)

No offence, but that is an insult to the bands I've mentioned. Just out of curiosity (and I know it's hard to pick just one!) who would you say was the greatest band of all time? That's the great thing about music of course, we all have our own opinions and likes/dislikes... such a debate could rage on forever!:)

No offence taken mate. Like you say, it's what makes music the greatest art form. Everyone has an opinion and no-one can be right (except for me :P).

For what it's worth, I think The Beatles are the greatest band of all time. My favourite band of all time are Oasis because they had such a huge influence on my life. Sure there have been other bands that I've loved, Led Zep, Stones etc have been part. Sure they've passed the test of time and will be loved til the cows have come home, had a nice cup of tea and gone to sleep. Oasis will still be loved by me. NNo doubt thousands of people will feel the same and that's why thery're one of the greeatest bands of all time.

In my opinion :)

sadly i am a 40yr old man and i think the stone roses album is the best, closely run by depeche mode.....na seriousy guys listen to it you might just think again. :)

sadly i am a 40yr old man and i think the stone roses album is the best, closely run by depeche mode.....na seriousy guys listen to it you might just think again. :)

Stone Roses were a great band. Even The Second Coming was grossly underrated.

chester copperpot

The roses rocked. I proper love them. Fav band of all time for me. I guess its all about tastes, but I've actually never found a song made by them that I've disliked.

Prob just me though. Listen to them at least 3 times a week.

chester copperpot
Best band in recent times - one hell of a lot better than Oasis, that's for sure!:)

I aint going to argue with that mate. I just wish they'd lasted a bit longer so we could've put them up there with the best.

They're still the best in my eyes. I love them more than some of my family members.

this_is_my_story
I aint going to argue with that mate. I just wish they'd lasted a bit longer so we could've put them up there with the best.

They're still the best in my eyes. I love them more than some of my family members.

No offence, but I think that says more about your family members than it does about Oasis!! ;)

I'm enjoying Definitely Maybe, though less than I usually do on a 4hr coach journey, which is when I happen to listen to it usually. Inverness has that almost two decades back effect on me. My only slightly original and nonsensical point is Oasis are obseseed with Plastiscene. Shakermaker and Little James. Did I just mention Little James? Keep it quiet. Please.

I'm enjoying Definitely Maybe, though less than I usually do on a 4hr coach journey, which is when I happen to listen to it usually. Inverness has that almost two decades back effect on me. My only slightly original and nonsensical point is Oasis are obseseed with Plastiscene. Shakermaker and Little James. Did I just mention Little James? Keep it quiet. Please.

Little James, lives for the toys. plastercine, thankyou for your smiiille it makes it all worthwhile to meeeeee. It won't be long till you and your mammm..... Shakespeare can **** off.

chester copperpot
No offence, but I think that says more about your family members than it does about Oasis!! ;)

apart from my wife, 2 kids, sister, bro in law and my nephews and niece, then you're probably right.

With my family, you learn to escape through music. ;)

Little James, lives for the toys. plastercine, thankyou for your smiiille it makes it all worthwhile to meeeeee. It won't be long till you and your mammm..... Shakespeare can **** off.

I may be wrong but... (and I have STOTSOG on so I will hear it soon if I am)

"You live for your toys, even though they make noise,

Have you ever played with plasticine, or even tried a trampoline?"

The only poetic bit in the album is in Go Let it Out. Cos it was nicked off a poet.

But F'in in the Bushes and Gas Panic make the whole damn holocaust of an album worthwhile!

(Can I say gas and holocaust so close together...? :confused:)

I may be wrong but... (and I have STOTSOG on so I will hear it soon if I am)

"You live for your toys, even though they make noise,

Have you ever played with plasticine, or even tried a trampoline?"

The only poetic bit in the album is in Go Let it Out. Cos it was nicked off a poet.

But F'in in the Bushes and Gas Panic make the whole damn holocaust of an album worthwhile!

(Can I say gas and holocaust so close together...? :confused:)

You're right I just started typing the bits I remember. Noel says he only put it on an album to encourage him. Had some cracking songs from Liam since so well played Noel

Agree about Gas Panic and especially ****ing in the Bushes.

Archived