Scottish oil

Roxy Hearts

Roxy Hearts

We've been told for decades there isn't much left and Westminster used all the benefits from it. 

Now we're told there's trillions of the stuff which I've always believed. When does the gullibility stop about all Scotland's resources? We are a very wealthy country and Westminster know it. We can do better as an independent state with or without Europe too.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• Roxy Hearts

• jack D and coke

• Jambo_jim2001

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

F8885E36-3833-4FE7-9E77-EB5216C9D9CF.jpeg

What about him? Is there trillions of pounds or not? Will Westminster waste more of our money?

It’s no good in the ground at the moment. We need to ramp up production from what ever stage it is. I noticed the Saudis have increased their production. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

Isn't oil one of the reasons the English maritime border was extended years back?

I'm sure I remember reading about it being somewhere up past St Andrews now?

Roxy Hearts
9 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Isn't oil one of the reasons the English maritime border was extended years back?

Yes. Thanks to warmongering Blair and that chancer Brown.

2 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Get the stuff pumped into our fuel tanks and economy,not billionaires wallets and profits abroad!!

Correct and the benefit for the people of Scotland. It's shocking that they've played down oil's importance and income.

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Yes. Thanks to warmongering Blair and that chancer Brown.

Correct and the benefit for the people of Scotland. It's shocking that they've played down oil's importance and income.

It’s been running oot since the late 70’s…

6441E3FF-D9F9-436E-8E7A-74C29436FED1.jpeg

Jambos_1874

Given that we are in the middle of a climate catastrophe we shouldn't really be talking about extracting millions of barrels of oil from the ground, or exploring for more.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Yay Scotland could be rich even though the population is skint paying for the petrol/oil and even though our children will pay for it health wise.

Oil is not an argument for or against independence.

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Given that we are in the middle of a climate catastrophe we shouldn't really be talking about extracting millions of barrels of oil from the ground, or exploring for more.

Agreed but it was Dougie Ross who brought it up today at the Parliament. Said we should do it not just for Britain but to enable Europe (yes Europe) to remove itself from russias teat. Just how much have we got? When exactly does this stuff run oot like we keep getting told?

Edited by jack D and coke

Roxy Hearts
4 minutes ago, Ked said:

Yay Scotland could be rich even though the population is skint paying for the petrol/oil and even though our children will pay for it health wise.

Oil is not an argument for or against independence.

Try telling that to Westminster!

Outside Norway, Scotland has the most natural resources in Europe. We should ne absolutely swimming in money. Instead we squabble with each other about where Scotlands fininces should lie, with Scotland or controlled by Westminster. 

Geez peace!

18 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

We can't even look after each other so worrying about the planet seems frivolous in my opinion. Get those barrels out the ground!

Roxy Hearts
Just now, Ked said:

Oh for ****s sake

Ah Ked. You never fail to disappoint. Energy is reserved, Scotland needs all the machinations of government to perform properly.

Roxy Hearts
2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

We can't even look after each other so worrying about the planet seems frivolous in my opinion. Get those barrels out the ground!

👍

9 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Ah Ked. You never fail to disappoint. Energy is reserved, Scotland needs all the machinations of government to perform properly.

Forget oil and forget whatabout Westminster.

We've probably got another 70-90 (90 absolute max) years worth. I say 90 only because we may create cheaper tech to slurp it out the ground.

But i'm absolutely certain we wont rely on oil even before the 70 year mark.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Pap said:

We've probably got another 70-90 (90 absolute max) years worth. I say 90 only because we may create cheaper tech to slurp it out the ground.

But i'm absolutely certain we wont rely on oil even before the 70 year mark.

I doubt the world will even be here as we know it in 70 years. I believe we should all be looking to leave it in the ground but our world demands it so we can fly to Spain or wherever 3-4 times a year and we’ll extract it until we’ve destroyed everything imo. 
We’re a stupid species. Selfish and dumb AF. 
Did you see the amount of private jets that left LA after the superbowl? COP26? Hilarious man. 
We ain’t trying to save anything. We can’t imo. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
55 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

A lot of this climate catastrophe is media headline drama economy creative driven by the money peoples who have millions of shares in renewables and lecky companies We're In the middle of WW3 almost, better using our own oil for the time being rather than funding dictator Putin, the climate can wait a bit until everything has chilled out after-all the planets is only 4.5 billion years old, I'm sure it will be sweet for another few hundred or so 

These electric cars have many faults, are overpriced expensive pish that take hours to charge anyway we're still better with clean petrol filling up in 2 minutes than scrapping thousands of perfectly good motors and building new one's, the carbon footprint of postponing that alone would help save the planet as of now 

Once we're done with the face masks and plastic testing kit's that will  help clean up the oceans and environment and save on pollution and emissions also 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

bobby bombscare
1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Agreed but it was Dougie Ross who brought it up today at the Parliament. Said we should do it not just for Britain but to enable Europe (yes Europe) to remove itself from russias teat. Just how much have we got? When exactly does this stuff run oot like we keep getting told?

At the end of the day, independence s*** aside, the simple fact of the matter is we have got oil in our waters and we still need oil for many things. So much that you can't even begin to imagine. Including a lot of medical equipment, fillings you get at the dentist, carpets etc.. there is loads! 

The problem is all the political gesturing going on of "we're net zero and you're not!" crap that they are doing with all the other countries and shouting things like "we won't extract dirty oil" and "we will be net zero" and all the other bulls*** slogans they can come up with. When fundamentally, they are just moving their pollution elsewhere. We still use unbelievable amounts of oil, the difference is we just let other countries do most of the pollution part for us. The same as we build all these wind turbine blades, then send them to other countries to get disposed of, for them to just get buried. 

It is one world. When you take the politicians gesturing out of the equation, pollution is pollution. weather we do it here, or weather we let Russia do it and pay them for the privilege. Also, we are letting countries extract oil for us who don't care about pollution or the environmental impacts of their actions.

We need oil and will do for at least another 50 years. FACT. Even if you don't like it. If we extract it, we have stricter environmental impact rules to stick to than other countries (Russia, Saudi Arabia etc) and we are creating jobs and making profit rather than paying money for it. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be extracting our own oil and the extraction of every crude oil based thing you use will have caused less pollution and destruction than it would have if it was brought in from the Russian or Saudi oil fields, where the governments and people don't care about the environmental impact. 

You take the selfish politicians looking for a way to make them look better than other people/countries and it's a no brainer. 

Edited by bobby bombscare

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, bobby bombscare said:

At the end of the day, independence s*** aside, the simple fact of the matter is we have got oil in our waters and we still need oil for many things. So much that you can't even begin to imagine. Including a lot of medical equipment, fillings you get at the dentist, carpets etc.. there is loads! 

The problem is all the political gesturing going on of "we're net zero and you're not!" crap that they are doing with all the other countries and shouting things like "we won't extract dirty oil" and "we will be net zero" and all the other bulls*** slogans they can come up with. When fundamentally, they are just moving their pollution elsewhere. We still use unbelievable amounts of oil, the difference is we just let other companies do most of the pollution part for us. The same as we build all these wind turbine blades, then send them to other companies to get disposed of, for them to just get buried. 

It is one world. When you take the politicians gesturing out of the equation, pollution is pollution. weather we do it, or weather we let Russia do it and pay them for the privilege. Also, we are letting countries extract oil for us who don't care about pollution or the environmental impacts of their actions.

We need oil and will do for at least another 50 years. FACT. Even if you don't like it. If we extract it, we have stricter environmental impact rules to stick to than other countries (Russia, Saudi Arabia etc) and we are creating jobs and making profit rather than paying money for it. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be extracting our own oil and the extraction of every crude oil based thing you use will have caused less pollution and destruction than it would have if it was brought in from the Russian or Saudi oil fields, where the governments and people don't care about the environment. 

You take the selfish politicians looking for a way to make them look better than other people/countries and it's a no brainer. 

Yeah I read that we’ve used more oil or fossil fuel in the last 10-15 years than in all the years before since we discovered it. Or sowmthing like that, pollution or whatever I canny mind I’m half gassed. 
It’s all bullshit. It’s all too late to change it imo. We have to hope that science can save us I reckon. Some reverse climate change ray beam or whatever. 
Or face the fact this is a runaway train. 

bobby bombscare
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah I read that we’ve used more oil or fossil fuel in the last 10-15 years than in all the years before since we discovered it. Or sowmthing like that, pollution or whatever I canny mind I’m half gassed. 
It’s all bullshit. It’s all too late to change it imo. We have to hope that science can save us I reckon. Some reverse climate change ray beam or whatever. 
Or face the fact this is a runaway train. 

We need to reduce the amount of oil we use.. big time! But a massive amount of emissions are caused by transport and heat/power. you remove as much of the oil as you can from those situations and you quickly see  a difference. 
The trick is being realistic enough to admit that we still need it (and will for quite a while too) but being aware enough to understand that it comes with consequences and should be used only where vital. Either way. I am all for the UK (or Scotland depending where you are on indyref pish. cba with either side of that as well, both sides of the argument involves politicians so both sides are corrupt IMO) extracting our own oil as we'll then be able to ensure that it is done with the least environmental impact that is reasonably possible anyone who thinks we don't need oil is just plain ignorant as is anyone who thinks we don't need to reduce our consumption where possible. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

We need to reduce the amount of oil we use.. big time! But a massive amount of emissions are caused by transport and heat/power. you remove as much of the oil as you can from those situations and you quickly see  a difference. 
The trick is being realistic enough to admit that we still need it (and will for quite a while too) but being aware enough to understand that it comes with consequences and should be used only where vital. Either way. I am all for the UK (or Scotland depending where you are on indyref pish. cba with either side of that as well, both sides of the argument involves politicians so both sides are corrupt IMO) extracting our own oil as we'll then be able to ensure that it is done with the least environmental impact that is reasonably possible anyone who thinks we don't need oil is just plain ignorant as is anyone who thinks we don't need to reduce our consumption where possible. 

Aye leaving all the indy or whatever arguments aside I don’t disagree. Our world needs oil and like you said not just purely for petrol etc. 

We leave it in the ground we just have to import it. We aren’t reducing anything either  the consumption of it is increasing all the time. 
We’re probably decades away from reducing the use of it. Who knows where things will be by then. 

Jambo_jim2001

Simple, spend the profits on renewables and research right now.Not line the pockets of the few.For the better of all humanity regardless of creed,colour or religion or borders, politicians are too wrapped up in their own world's,it used to be what can I do for my community,,now it's what can I get for myself from my comunity.The amount of hot air that comes out of all political parties further adds to the climate change,actions used to speak louder than words.🤬🙄

4 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Renewables are vast.

4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Renewables are running oot anaw .

4 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Yes it was, bit Scotland also had benefited from the border being in the wrong place. It will be aligned post independence. 

It's actually strange, as the west cost border goes where it should be, but if it was put at the position of the east cost, Ireland would be ours. :cheese:

Scotland has enough renewables to power all our homes twice for a year. Yet we're paying a fortune to do so. :We have ample oil so we don't pay a 2 quid a litre at the pump. Yet we're paying a fortune. 

We've really fecked ourselves, and we deserve it.

3 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

A lot of this climate catastrophe is media headline drama economy creative driven by the money peoples who have millions of shares in renewables and lecky companies We're In the middle of WW3 almost, better using our own oil for the time being rather than funding dictator Putin, the climate can wait a bit until everything has chilled out after-all the planets is only 4.5 billion years old, I'm sure it will be sweet for another few hundred or so 

These electric cars have many faults, are overpriced expensive pish that take hours to charge anyway we're still better with clean petrol filling up in 2 minutes than scrapping thousands of perfectly good motors and building new one's, the carbon footprint of postponing that alone would help save the planet as of now 

Once we're done with the face masks and plastic testing kit's that will  help clean up the oceans and environment and save on pollution and emissions also 

What a load of pish. Electric cars are great, and charge fine when you're asleep or at the office, or at a night out, or out shopping, and it's free. 

As for the climate change being fake news.  :conspiracy:

22 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Electric cars are free? 

To charge. It's great. Unless you plug it in at the Hoose. The cars are definitely no free. :sick:

Jambo_jim2001
56 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

To charge. It's great. Unless you plug it in at the Hoose. The cars are definitely no free. :sick:

A lot of the free charge points are starting to stop up in Dundee,son in law uses one of the last ones at law hospital for his taxi.he told me it can be a right royal pain even getting a pay one due to the amount of electric cars/ taxi's.upside was free parking when charging👍

2 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

A lot of the free charge points are starting to stop up in Dundee,son in law uses one of the last ones at law hospital for his taxi.he told me it can be a right royal pain even getting a pay one due to the amount of electric cars/ taxi's.upside was free parking when charging👍

The inevitable. It'll be brought into line with Petrol, soon enough. We can't have us lot having anything good for free.

Jambo_jim2001
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

The inevitable. It'll be brought into line with Petrol, soon enough. We can't have us lot having anything good for free.

Better hope nobody says higher leccy bills are subsidising your free stuff,oops cat out the bag🧐🤣

5 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Better hope nobody says higher leccy bills are subsidising your free stuff,oops cat out the bag🧐🤣

🤣I'm subsiding their pollution. :whistling: 

You're onto something there. Why do we always pummel each other, and Lord it up for the ***** who rob us and kill us. Strange. Some wee guy is brutally abused for being on the social, yet people kneel to  The Queen, PM and Mps who are on benefits themselves. Why someone on £80000 has the brass neck to not pay for their food, drink and other stuff, is beyond me, but feck that wee guy who claims for £60 a week, the robbing *******.

Jambo_jim2001

I hear you,the amount of tax" avoidence" outstrips the the DWP bill.We are the easy targets..my auld man went on about a book he read years ago,the poor had no lawyers,I really need to read it myself.it kinda sums up the present social injustices 👍

download.jpeg

Edited by Jambo_jim2001

36 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I hear you,the amount of tax" avoidence" outstrips the the DWP bill.We are the easy targets..my auld man went on about a book he read years ago,the poor had no lawyers,I really need to read it myself.it kinda sums up the present social injustices 👍

download.jpeg

I'll have a look when I get some spare time, bud.  :thumb:

On all things Scotland/Scots/Scottish, and to those who criticise unjustly. Don't greet when I appear, and boot ye in the baws. 👍

Hate to admit it but Clarkson was definitely onto something with his dodgems idea way back when on Top Gear.

The premise was to electrify motorways via overhead live power feeds much like the system employed to power dodgems at the Shows.

Cars would run on battery power till you get to the motorway. You then press a button to extend the conductor and join the motorway. Car then runs off the overhead power and charges your battery at the same time.

This would enable range to be extended indefinitely which is the current Achilles heal of electric cars.

Will be fun watching the tories heads birlin come the referendum as they try to tell us the oil is running out again. 

Francis Albert

I thought the Scottish Government/SNP was opposed to new oil exploration and development.  Especially post the coalition with Greens.

And isn't there an international convention for drawing maritime borders? The line from its starting point (the Scotland/England border at the coast in this case) extending perpendicularly from the slope of the coast at that border. In any event most remaining reserves are now in the far north and the only risk to Scotland having the large share would be independence for Shetland.

But Scotland certainly has  large oil reserves relative it it's population and if an independent Scotland was willing to produce them Putin has provided a shot in the arm for the "its Scotland's oil" pitch which low oil prices put a bit of a dent in

SuperstarSteve

Having had a look at the climate act, I was quite shocked to find out by 2030 there will only be 3 airports in the UK and by 2040 they plan to get rid of them all. 

Harry Potter
12 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

We've been told for decades there isn't much left and Westminster used all the benefits from it. 

Now we're told there's trillions of the stuff which I've always believed. When does the gullibility stop about all Scotland's resources? We are a very wealthy country and Westminster know it. We can do better as an independent state with or without Europe too.

Maybe convert copious ammounts of the stuff in to petrol/diesel, prices are a joke now.

2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Hate to admit it but Clarkson was definitely onto something with his dodgems idea way back when on Top Gear.

The premise was to electrify motorways via overhead live power feeds much like the system employed to power dodgems at the Shows.

Cars would run on battery power till you get to the motorway. You then press a button to extend the conductor and join the motorway. Car then runs off the overhead power and charges your battery at the same time.

This would enable range to be extended indefinitely which is the current Achilles heal of electric cars.

Journey time would be longer though with everybody banging into each other….

Japan Jambo
11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

that's actually very funny 👏🤣. Think the cult leader wants it left in the ground though, no?