Scottish oil

Roxy Hearts

Cairneyhill Jambo
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Are they not?

Does the Scottish Navy patrol Scottish waters?

The Scottish Government's fishery protection boats patrol Scottish waters. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• Roxy Hearts

• jack D and coke

• Jambo_jim2001

Felix Lighter

I'm sure this is correct, in countries that  need it, I think there is an assumption that there's no water in England and it'll need it from Scotland, I really don't see this.

iirc there is more fresh water in Loch Ness than all the lakes and rivers in England and Wales combined. The areas supplied by the lake district I'm sure have nice water but from experience the hard water down south is gross, 

24 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

🤣

:2thumbsup:

Supply and demand eh.

Mr Brightside
13 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Having had a look at the climate act, I was quite shocked to find out by 2030 there will only be 3 airports in the UK and by 2040 they plan to get rid of them all. 

No chance that will happen it’s only 8 years away and several uk airports are / have been expanded.

1 minute ago, Felix Lighter said:

iirc there is more fresh water in Loch Ness than all the lakes and rivers in England and Wales combined. The areas supplied by the lake district I'm sure have nice water but from experience the hard water down south is gross, 

:2thumbsup:

Supply and demand eh.

There is more water in Loch Ness than all the Lakes and Rivers in England, but that doesn't make it cheaper or easier to get it from Scotland than from England.

How much water goes from England from Scotland now?

10 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Arw they the Scottish Navy?

Edited by Dawnrazor

Jambo_jim2001

There is more water in Loch Ness than all the Lakes and Rivers in England, but that doesn't make it cheaper or easier to get it from Scotland than from England.

Don't forget Nessie🤫😁👍

Just now, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Don't forget Nessie🤫😁👍

I don't want to drink water polluted by fictitious monsters pish thanks very much.

Felix Lighter
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You're right, water is heavy so it would be a massive logistical issue. But the infrastructure manages fine when we are talking oil.

Edited by Felix Lighter

Jambo_jim2001
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I don't want to drink water polluted by fictitious monsters pish thanks very much.

🤣 All the best mate👍👍

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's only surface water though, I don't believe we have any aquifer access while England has the chalk one at least in the south

Just now, Felix Lighter said:

Your right, water is heavy so it would be a massive logistical issue. But the infrastructure manages fine when we are talking oil.

There is already a pipe going from the Lake District to Manchester, it's been taking water since the 1950's, it doesn't make financial sense for England to send water from Scotland when there's plenty here.

Felix Lighter

There is already a pipe going from the Lake District to Manchester, it's been taking water since the 1950's, it doesn't make financial sense for England to STEAL water from Scotland when there's plenty here.

Ftfy.

SuperstarSteve
14 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

No chance that will happen it’s only 8 years away and several uk airports are / have been expanded.

I was just surprised to see it in the PDF I had read. I do agree though I doubt they will meet the targets in such a short time.

I hadn’t realised getting rid of airports was part of the green policy though it sort of flew under the radar. I’m still wrapping my head around no petrol/diesel cars granted I understand the pollution aspect. 

1 minute ago, Felix Lighter said:

Ftfy.

FFS behave your self😄

How much water goes from Scotland to England now?

Roxy Hearts

FFS behave your self😄

I thought that buffoon Johnson wanted it piped down to England. Thought I heard or read somewhere. 

Felix Lighter

FFS behave your self😄

FFS behave your self😄

It's your bizarre terminology, you said England would send water from Scotland, wtf does that mean? It's what I'd expect from BoJo.  

Mr Brightside
4 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

I was just surprised to see it in the PDF I had read. I do agree though I doubt they will meet the targets in such a short time.

I hadn’t realised getting rid of airports was part of the green policy though it sort of flew under the radar. I’m still wrapping my head around no petrol/diesel cars granted I understand the pollution aspect. 

Yeah it’s crazy, can’t see that ever happening, surely a greener aviation fuel is the better long term solution (not sure what that could be). For me travel is one of the great joys in life and we would be very much worse off if this was no longer an option.

Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

I thought that buffoon Johnson wanted it piped down to England. Thought I heard or read somewhere. 

He may have said that, but as you say, he's  a buffoon.

Just think about it, is it easier and cheaper to take water from England to other parts of England or bring from another two or three hundred miles further north?

There is no shortage of water in  England, ot requires infrastructure to move it.

3 minutes ago, Felix Lighter said:

It's your bizarre terminology, you said England would send water from Scotland, wtf does that mean? It's what I'd expect from BoJo.  

Ok, my mistake, poor wording.

Why would England buy water from Scotland when there's plenty here?

Felix Lighter

Just think about it, is it easier and cheaper to take water from England to other parts of England or bring from another two or three hundred miles further north?

There is no shortage of water in  England, ot requires infrastructure to move it.

English folks oot with their buckets collecting rain water.

:laugh:

English folks oot with their buckets collecting rain water.

:laugh:

So, why would England buy water from Scotland?

Felix Lighter
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

So, why would England buy water from Scotland?

Because buying Highland Spring is more convenient than putting a bucket oot the back green hoping for a doon pour.

Because buying Highland Spring is more convenient than putting a bucket oot the back green hoping for a doon pour.

Aye, ok😄

Roxy Hearts
14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think it's more to do with further South. London again! Kent etc. Lucky sods get the heat and we get the rain 🤣

Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

I think it's more to do with further South. London again! Kent etc. Lucky sods get the heat and we get the rain 🤣

Yep, that's my point I suppose, it'll be easier and cheaper to build the infrastructure to get water to Kent, Essex or Sussex from the North or Midlands of England, or anyhere else, than it'll ever be to get it from Scotland.

That's why I can't get the argument about everyone in Scotland becoming rich on water sold to England.

The pipe that runs from Hawswater to Bolton / Manchester runs directly below my house, there's millions being spent on renewing it, so the work is being done already.

Whenever a cock up happens with a water supply, like the one around  Manchester when Canada Geese spread Cryptosporidium and bottled water had to be supplied to people, it wasn't Highland Spring, it was Buxton Water!

The millions that would be made from selling water to England after Independence is, in my opinion, a complete red herring.

Pasquale for King

We really need to use the current problems to move away from oil and into renewables, and continue to be net exporters of energy. 

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Plenty water in London😁

FBNVBuFXIAAhg0d.png

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We really need to use the current problems to move away from oil and into renewables, and continue to be net exporters of energy. 

Renewables alone won't power the grid.

We keep hearing politicians boast about being net exporters of energy yet electricity prices keep rising for consumers.  That isn't sustainable.

Jambo_jim2001
24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Won't hydro power do it? even with all our rain😀

4 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Ok, my mistake, poor wording.

Why would England buy water from Scotland when there's plenty here?

But there's not. And with your population ever growing and the climate changing, it'll only get worse. 

:munny:Thanks!

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

We keep hearing politicians boast about being net exporters of energy yet electricity prices keep rising for consumers.  That isn't sustainable.

We already produce enough renewables to power Scotland twice per year. But as it stands, we're not Scotland, so it doesn't.

Ainsley Harriott
9 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Is it? So Scotland does have oil and Westminster are making billions from it. I wish your type would make their minds up! It's running oot or our resources are required to meet the UK's balance payments. 

Must be as Scottish independence has never been further away than it is now. When's indy ref2 happening? 

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

But there's not. And with your population ever growing and the climate changing, it'll only get worse. 

:munny:Thanks!

But there is, plenty.

Roxy Hearts
2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Must be as Scottish independence has never been further away than it is now. When's indy ref2 happening? 

You said Shetland is closer to independence than Scotland. I asked "is it"? Well, is it? What proof?

I don't want a referendum at the moment.

A lot of what we hear or read about renewables powering ‘a city the size of Aberdeen’ or whatever mean at full output.  This is rarely achieved and it usually means ‘supply the electricity for’.  It doesn’t include heating and that’s where most of domestic energy consumption goes.

Hydro supplies (surprisingly) little of Scotland’s electricity.  More could built but which glens would you want flooded?  

I wonder if more could be made of biomass?  There was talk a while ago of building a biomass power station near the aluminium smelter in Ft William.  It would burn birch trees - which grow like weeds - and would be a nearly ‘closed’ carbon cycle, particularly as it could use existing railway lines to transport the wood.

Came to nothing though.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

We already produce enough renewables to power Scotland twice per year. But as it stands, we're not Scotland, so it doesn't.

Don't think its a Westminster vs Holyrood issue.  Where is the money going from our bills?  If the answer is private companies with their shareholders and foreign governments then bills will never come down.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

You said Shetland is closer to independence than Scotland. I asked "is it"? Well, is it? What proof?

I don't want a referendum at the moment.

Shetland will get an indyref when holyrood allows. They’ll need to get a section 30 or whatever. They’ll really need the broad shoulders of Scotland to make sure they’re not cut off but scotland will decide when they get it. Imagine all the extra red tape I mean everything they consume will come from the Scottish mainland. The oils running oot, Asda will pull oot the shetlands and them being a foreign country with a different currency etc etc etc I mean have they really thought this through?? 

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Shetland will get an indyref when holyrood allows. They’ll need to get a section 30 or whatever. They’ll really need the broad shoulders of Scotland to make sure they’re not cut off but scotland will decide when they get it. Imagine all the extra red tape I mean everything they consume will come from the Scottish mainland. The oils running oot, Asda will pull oot the shetlands and them being a foreign country with a different currency etc etc etc I mean have they really thought this through?? 

Shetland is attractive to Norwegian based oil businesses as a hub.

John Findlay
12 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

The clue is in fishery protection. The Royal Navy patrol Scottish Waters against aggression from foreign nations.

Roxy Hearts
17 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

🤣. The propaganda for the gullible is really ramping up! Scotland's oil is running oot, Scotland's oil and gas is needed, Shetland will be independent, it's now British oil. Unionists contorted and twisted as usual. 

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Shetland is attractive to Norwegian based oil businesses as a hub.

Frank cmon man it can as attractive as it likes. Shetland can’t just decide they’re leaving a centuries old union. They’ll need to be granted a referendum surely? We decide when too is that not how this works? Or the EU etc just recognise them surely? How are the scare stories that we’re told just don’t seem to apply here? Security, currency, isolation, borders mikes away from their closest traders partners. Shetland’s economy will not be aligned with Norway’s I mean anytime we mention that we could be like them it’s laughed out the place. 

There isn't any great debate or demand for Shetland Independance. More autonomy yes, but not independence. There is frustration at the SNPs tendancy for one sized fits all policies that don't work in a remote island setting. 

14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Frank cmon man it can as attractive as it likes. Shetland can’t just decide they’re leaving a centuries old union. They’ll need to be granted a referendum surely? We decide when too is that not how this works? Or the EU etc just recognise them surely? How are the scare stories that we’re told just don’t seem to apply here? Security, currency, isolation, borders mikes away from their closest traders partners. Shetland’s economy will not be aligned with Norway’s I mean anytime we mention that we could be like them it’s laughed out the place. 

That is a different argument.  I was just arguing against your presumption that Shetland would be isolated without Scotland as its geographic location already leaves it isolated.

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

A lot of what we hear or read about renewables powering ‘a city the size of Aberdeen’ or whatever mean at full output.  This is rarely achieved and it usually means ‘supply the electricity for’.  It doesn’t include heating and that’s where most of domestic energy consumption goes.

Hydro supplies (surprisingly) little of Scotland’s electricity.  More could built but which glens would you want flooded?  

The amount of water flowing and ebbing out of our sea lochs and rivers should be harnessed in some way,that would save on flooding our majestic glens🤔

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

The amount of water flowing and ebbing out of our sea lochs and rivers should be harnessed in some way,that would save on flooding our majestic glens🤔

I get where you're coming from but we're not exactly short on glens. I'd prefer not to piss about with the geography myself but I probably see it as the lesser of the evils.

Jambo_jim2001
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I get where you're coming from but we're not exactly short on glens. I'd prefer not to piss about with the geography myself but I probably see it as the lesser of the evils.

At least we don't have rely on the weather to fill the glens,just the moon pulling vast amounts of water,that's guaranteed to work,unless humanity manages to blow that up😳👍9th century monks managed to do it😳😳 https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/outer-hebrides/eilean-chalium-chille.shtml

Well worth a visit😎

Edited by Jambo_jim2001