• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Cade

• Watt-Zeefuik

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the new series of Mandalorian pick up a bit? 

Watched the first two and feel a bit disappointed in it. 

5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The mandalorian season 3 is a steaming pile of absolute garbage. 

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

The writing and the acting in episode 6 I'm sure the whole thing was a piss take 🤣

Well i guess you both answered my question before I posed it 🤣

20 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Well i guess you both answered my question before I posed it 🤣

There is more action scenes but even those are pretty pish

Watt-Zeefuik
43 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Does the new series of Mandalorian pick up a bit? 

Watched the first two and feel a bit disappointed in it. 

It picks up just a bit. I was annoyed by the first couple and then thought it got better. Ep 6 was a weird one but also had a kind of Star-Wars-Does-Benevolent-Bladerunner kind of vibe to it, with the two absurd cameos by

Spoiler

Lizzo and Jack Black

that both seemed totally gratuitous but also kind of fun in a cheeky way.

Overall it feels like a season that had enough "arc" plot for about 3-4 episodes and they had to pad out with sidequests and cutaways.

And as others have mentioned, after Andor it all seems a bit silly. But if you can just lean into the silliness, it's a decent way to waste some time in front of the screen.

17 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Mandalorian Season Three should really be re-named "Bo-Katan: Resurgence - featuring Din Djarin and Grogu"

Honestly think they should have just left Grogu with Luke it's cringey as **** every scene it's in

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

It picks up just a bit. I was annoyed by the first couple and then thought it got better. Ep 6 was a weird one but also had a kind of Star-Wars-Does-Benevolent-Bladerunner kind of vibe to it, with the two absurd cameos by

Reveal hidden contents

Lizzo and Jack Black

that both seemed totally gratuitous but also kind of fun in a cheeky way.

Overall it feels like a season that had enough "arc" plot for about 3-4 episodes and they had to pad out with sidequests and cutaways.

And as others have mentioned, after Andor it all seems a bit silly. But if you can just lean into the silliness, it's a decent way to waste some time in front of the screen.

Cheers. I did the daft thing of reading the thread after I'd posted and saw your comments about the first 2. 

I'll stick with it. It just felt like such a lacklustre opening! I'll be okay with the silliness I think. Andor surprised me with how serious and dark it was but at its core I always try and remember that Star Wars is for the children as much as I enjoy it too!

2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Cheers. I did the daft thing of reading the thread after I'd posted and saw your comments about the first 2. 

I'll stick with it. It just felt like such a lacklustre opening! I'll be okay with the silliness I think. Andor surprised me with how serious and dark it was but at its core I always try and remember that Star Wars is for the children as much as I enjoy it too!

This is it even though I have been critical of it at the end of the day it is a sci fi fantasy for everyone but even then it lacks charm and humour to be great it's kind of stuck in between.

Watt-Zeefuik

I'd also say they haven't given Pedro Pascal as much time to set the mood, to the show's detriment. When he could do his sort of dry deliveries and the body actor could interact with the kid, it all kind of worked.

On the other hand Carl Weathers gets a lot more time this season and that's all to the good.

Disney is losing money hand over fist and in complete panic mode.

The quality of their output has fallen off a cliff and many, MANY future projects have been shit-canned.

Maybe Mr Lucas can step in and buy Star Wars back off them?

He got paid $4billion for the IP but has made another $6 billion or so in residuals, so he can easily afford it.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

The quality of their output has fallen off a cliff and many, MANY future projects have been shit-canned.

He got paid $4billion for the IP but has made another $6 billion or so in residuals, so he can easily afford it.

Is there any streaming services actually make money.Netflix , Amazon , Disney none make money does HBO+ and Paramount+ make profit ?

13 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Honestly think they should have just left Grogu with Luke it's cringey as **** every scene it's in

I kind of agree.  Other than the odd part, Grogu has felt like a spare part this season. Trying to meat out the Book of Boba Fett to blame for that one.

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, Cade said:

Eh? Disney's profits were up 50% at the end of last year. They're making money hand over fist.

Andor was the best original content that's ever been on Disney Plus, bar none.

All the streaming services are losing paid subscribers so many are opening ad-based services. I think Disney is thinking about that.

5 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Is there any streaming services actually make money.Netflix , Amazon , Disney none make money does HBO+ and Paramount+ make profit ?

Netflix big "bad news" last year was a leveling off of subscribers and a decline of profit margin from 22% to . . . 17%, which is still frankly obscenely high and a sign of rank corporate profiteering. Amazon makes tons of money streaming other people's content, but their own studio's work keeps falling flat.

Disney as a whole may be making a profit but the Tv and film productions are taking a tanking.

They've even managed to make losses on Star Wars merchandise ffs.

That's why management has changed and many projects have been shelved.

31 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Eh? Disney's profits were up 50% at the end of last year. They're making money hand over fist.

Andor was the best original content that's ever been on Disney Plus, bar none.

All the streaming services are losing paid subscribers so many are opening ad-based services. I think Disney is thinking about that.

Netflix big "bad news" last year was a leveling off of subscribers and a decline of profit margin from 22% to . . . 17%, which is still frankly obscenely high and a sign of rank corporate profiteering. Amazon makes tons of money streaming other people's content, but their own studio's work keeps falling flat.

Disney+ lost £1.1b last year they reckon it will be at least 4 years until they make profit.Netflix has never made a profit 

Netflix have $15b in long term debt

Edited by vegas-voss

36 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

So as some might know Star Wars Celebration Europe is on right now in London... first trailer

Proper Jedi one looks far better than Obi Wan did

42 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

3 new movies announced.

🫣

They like to announce them then cancel them though

Daisy Ridley makes a triumphant return as a character nobody gives a shite about.

A character with no arc as she was utterly perfect in every way from the moment we met her.

A better Jedi than any before her.

A character that thinks that you can simply change your last name by deed poll and that makes you the inheritor of a legacy.

:gok:

Disney (well, LucasFilm and especially Kathleen Kennedy) have utterly lost the plot.

3 hours ago, neilnunb said:

So as some might know Star Wars Celebration Europe is on right now in London... first trailer

A bunch of millenial bursd activists with mental hair, fighting the evil patriarchy.

been here before
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Daisy Ridley makes a triumphant return as a character nobody gives a shite about.

A character with no arc as she was utterly perfect in every way from the moment we met her.

A better Jedi than any before her.

A character that thinks that you can simply change your last name by deed poll and that makes you the inheritor of a legacy.

Disney (well, LucasFilm and especially Kathleen Kennedy) have utterly lost the plot.

You know Star Wars is all made up stuff, its not real life, real people, real places and real events?

Dean Winchester

Happy with Ahsoka. Rebels deserves a decent conclusion and Thrawn in live action has been long overdue.

Completely uninterested in Rey and instead of an origin story of the Jedi I wish they'd do an Old Republic movie.

9 minutes ago, been here before said:

You know Star Wars is all made up stuff, its not real life, real people, real places and real events?

It's a multiverse now mate. Haven't you go any RIP threads you can occupy your time with and leave us to it?

56 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Happy with Ahsoka. Rebels deserves a decent conclusion and Thrawn in live action has been long overdue.

Completely uninterested in Rey and instead of an origin story of the Jedi I wish they'd do an Old Republic movie.

We are getting an Old Republic movie it's Dawn Of The Jedi.Its the first of the new films to come out with December 2025 date Mangold describes it as a biblical epic.

And then we have the TV show The Acolyte that's set in the High Republic looks like a Kung Fu western starring Carrie Ann Moss

Edited by vegas-voss

Dean Winchester
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

We are getting an Old Republic movie it's Dawn Of The Jedi.

And then we have the TV show The Acolyte that's set in the High Republic looks like a Kung Fu western starring Carrie Ann Moss

Hmm if it's based on its comic name sake then it'll be set long before the Old Republic? I haven't seen the actual announcements so maybe they're messing around with the timelines again.

Anyway, I should have been more specific but it's really a Knights of the Old Republic movie I'd want which was only a few thousand years before the High Republic.

11 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Not true.  They make a shit ton of cash.

https://www.businessofapps.com/data/netflix-statistics/

So the streaming revenue on its own makes money yes but they put that much into making content that they don't make money hence they are £15b in debt as of now.

Netflix have said they will no longer borrow money and will pay back debt so probably in 5 years or so they will profitable.They make a ton of money but reinvest far more than they make.Disney are the same right now hence why it lost £1b on Disney+ last year and they reckon it will be 3 or 4 years before they see profit from it.

19 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

So the streaming revenue on its own makes money yes but they put that much into making content that they don't make money hence they are £15b in debt as of now.

Netflix have said they will no longer borrow money and will pay back debt so probably in 5 years or so they will profitable.They make a ton of money but reinvest far more than they make.Disney are the same right now hence why it lost £1b on Disney+ last year and they reckon it will be 3 or 4 years before they see profit from it.

Again, not true.   Netflix revenue for 2022 was 31B, in 2022 they spent 17B on content.

Microsoft are 44 Billion in debt even though they make over 100 Billion a year profit.

Debt has nothing to do with profit.  As weird as that sounds.

Companies run debt to avoid taxes.

3 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Again, not true.   Netflix revenue for 2022 was 31B, in 2022 they spent 17B on content.

We are obviously reading different websites mate it's not worth arguing about though I'm happy to go with what yours is saying and get back on course with the thread 👍

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

We are obviously reading different websites mate it's not worth arguing about though I'm happy to go with what yours is saying and get back on course with the thread 👍

😁

https://www.statista.com/statistics/964789/netflix-content-spend-worldwide/

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/nflx/financials

star-wars-red-six-standing-by-porkins.gi

11 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

As I said let's just go with yours this is where I got most of mine from.

https://simplywall.st/stocks/us/media/nasdaq-nflx/netflix/news/does-netflix-nasdaqnflx-have-a-healthy-balance-sheet-1/amp

Interesting I read an another article they still make money from DVD rentals in the US 

On 07/04/2023 at 18:11, vegas-voss said:

As I said let's just go with yours this is where I got most of mine from.

https://simplywall.st/stocks/us/media/nasdaq-nflx/netflix/news/does-netflix-nasdaqnflx-have-a-healthy-balance-sheet-1/amp

Interesting I read an another article they still make money from DVD rentals in the US 

I thought the only remaining DVD rental places were just covers for drug deals

On 07/04/2023 at 15:07, vegas-voss said:

So one of the movies is Rey Skywalker and another one is to conclude Ashoka and Mandolorian storyline.

This kind of thing to me is where they're making an utter tit of it. It's becoming too much of a web of stories between different mediums and different series. 

It's becoming like the current state of the MCU.

Every TV show exists purely to set up the next film or spinoff TV show.

Every film exists purely to set up the next TV show.

They've forgotten to actually tell stories. It's all just promoting the Next Product.

Finally introduce the main villain with one episode left

:rofl:

Also, the writing is a mess this season. People standing around just spouting exposition to bring you up to speed.

Whatever happened to "don't tell; show" ?

:vrface:

22 hours ago, Cade said:

Finally introduce the main villain with one episode left

:rofl:

Also, the writing is a mess this season. People standing around just spouting exposition to bring you up to speed.

Whatever happened to "don't tell; show" ?

:vrface:

I'm an episode behind. Currently watching the cameos.

Whole season seems like it's all been setting a stage for next season. It's had its entertaining moments so far but feels like a serious drop off in quality. 

God. I just wanted it to end.

The end battle scenes were so badly made 😫

Nice that they are using Zahn's characters though. Loved his books.

Watt-Zeefuik
7 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

I'm an episode behind. Currently watching the cameos.

Whole season seems like it's all been setting a stage for next season. It's had its entertaining moments so far but feels like a serious drop off in quality. 

Yeah, I think the whole thing has done better than they expected and now they're having to plan for lots of seasons they didn't originally think up, I guess. Favreau has had the magic touch before, I hope he can revive it now.

il Duce McTarkin
On 12/04/2023 at 22:53, Cade said:

This has been doing my tits in. 

So all you star wars aficionado's, I have watched the first two seasons of the Mandalorian but have only ever watched the first star wars film.

What's the deal with stormtrooper armour? One shot kills em every time, be better off without it, easier to see and move. Or am I missing something.

16 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

So all you star wars aficionado's, I have watched the first two seasons of the Mandalorian but have only ever watched the first star wars film.

What's the deal with stormtrooper armour? One shot kills em every time, be better off without it, easier to see and move. Or am I missing something.

I think it's meant to be strong enough that those shots don't actually kill them but like knock them out. Bit like how a bullet proof vest would go. It'll stop (or not) the bullet but depending on distance and calibre etc etc you'll still see varying amounts of damage. 

Otherwise I've no ****ing idea they'd be as well running about in the buff.