Josh Taylor Fight (merged threads)

Radio Ga Ga

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Marcus McDonnell didn't score the fight, he was the ref inside the ring 

Yeah, sorry. I got the ref and judges mixed. One was Howard Foster who has had a few suspects decisions over the years. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlimOzturk

• been here before

• ri Alban

• neilnunb

That’s the British Boxing Board of Control investigating the result. Speaker of the Commons also getting involved and looking to raise it in Parliament with the Sports Minister. Ultimately won’t go anywhere though. 

Is Taylor still with MTK Global? With gangsters like the Kinahans involved, this sort of corruption is hardly surprising. 

Still reeling at one of the judges giving Taylor 3 of the first 4 rounds 🤣

18 minutes ago, moogsy said:

That’s the British Boxing Board of Control investigating the result. Speaker of the Commons also getting involved and looking to raise it in Parliament with the Sports Minister. Ultimately won’t go anywhere though. 

Is Taylor still with MTK Global? With gangsters like the Kinahans involved, this sort of corruption is hardly surprising. 

It was the Chorley MP that raised it with the Sports Minister I think.  

1st Was Caterall, Taylor got the 2nd (and Caterall possibly lucky not to have a point off at that stage for the hold and carry), rounds 3 and 4 are very much subjective for judging, if you favour a boxer being more aggressive and on the front foot then they go to Taylor, if a judge leans more towards a technician landing shots from the back foot even if they're not hard shots then the rounds go to Caterall. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, moogsy said:

Cue fat hobo shitehouse Blackford leaping to Taylors defence. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Ainsley Harriott
44 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Cue fat hobo shitehouse Blackford leaping to Taylors defence. 

Not sure he will remember what Taylor said about his boss and party recently

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Not sure he will remember what Taylor said about his boss and party recently

Oh, I had no idea, what did he say? 

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Oh, I had no idea, what did he say? 

He retweeted a Dan Wooten tweet, calling the SNP government, a fascist state. He was challenged but he was too thick to debate it, and took it down. " I stand by it" he said, but couldn't stand by it, cause he's a dumb feck. I hope he gets his titles removed for being a Hibs *****.

jack D and coke
20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He retweeted a Dan Wooten tweet, calling the SNP government, a fascist state. He was challenged but he was too thick to debate it, and took it down. " I stand by it" he said, but couldn't stand by it, cause he's a dumb feck. I hope he gets his titles removed for being a Hibs *****.

All to do with covid etc. They’re very anti vax. His sister especially. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

All to do with covid etc. They’re very anti vax. His sister especially. 

A balloon. I bought tickets for a Q and A at the Hilton in Glesga a couple of years ago. I'm glad I didn't go/ maybe Cancelled. He's a wee prick. Still think that's funny, all these folk losing their shit about the result, they never seem to lose it when English fighters get dodgy verdict against Mainland Europeans, Mexicans or Americans. Eubank, Calzaghe, Froch, Lewis, Benn(My favourite fighter ever) Hatton and many more.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

A balloon. I bought tickets for a Q and A at the Hilton in Glesga a couple of years ago. I'm glad I didn't go/ maybe Cancelled. He's a wee prick. Still think that's funny, all these folk losing their shit about the result, they never seem to lose it when English fighters get dodgy verdict against Mainland Europeans, Mexicans or Americans. Eubank, Calzaghe, Froch, Lewis, Benn(My favourite fighter ever) Hatton and many more.

I was there on saturday and I used to be a fan of his I was down at the O2 for the Prograis fight and was at most of his fights on the way up but I couldn’t care less if he lost now. 
Nowt to do with his vax stance or anything just went right off him. 
Benn was my favourite fighter too. 

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

?? 

You couldnt have rewarded Taylor's opponent with the 5 belts.

He didnt do enough.

Taylor got a fright hopefully he ups his game now.

Good boxer despite him being a hobo.

13 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

?? 

Hopkins. But I'm not a fan of Joe Calslappy.so I might be bias.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, ri Alban said:

Hopkins. But I'm not a fan of Joe Calslappy.so I might be bias.

I was questioning the English tag you gave him. 

Calzaghe was tremendous and dominated everyone he fought. Deserved the big payday and he missed out on them due to his fear of flying. Got his biggest pay day by taking on Roy Jones when he was topping up his pension pot. 

His fight with Eubank was massive but was an undercard match-up on the Prince Naseem bill. 

15 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I was questioning the English tag you gave him. 

Calzaghe was tremendous and dominated everyone he fought. Deserved the big payday and he missed out on them due to his fear of flying. Got his biggest pay day by taking on Roy Jones when he was topping up his pension pot. 

His fight with Eubank was massive but was an undercard match-up on the Prince Naseem bill. 

Not for me. Kessler should have smashed him, old Roy put him on his arse and got complacent and Hopkins beat his ass. But each their own. Chris was done and would've eaten him alive in his prime. 

And Welsh are English :cheese:

been here before
33 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Joe Calzaghe beat more pensioners than Hyperthermia.

Is that when they've all 4 bars burning furiously?

53 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Joe Calzaghe beat more pensioners than Hyperthermia.

His best win was against a prime eubank. Apart from that his resume is nothing special like you say waited until all his opponents were finished before beating them. 

Calzaghe was brilliant but should have fought in America earlier. Reckon he would have beaten them all bar peak Roy Jones Jnr.

As for the Hopkins fight, Calzaghe landed 232 punches out of 707 to 127 out of 468 from Hopkins, the most punches landed on Hopkins in all of his 12 fights that had Compubox stats. Calzaghe clearly won that fight.

jack D and coke

Hoyle doesn’t want anyone going after a PM for lying through his teeth every other day but wants police to look at boxing score cards?

Is he for real?? 
A Scottish boxer on the end of the same decision this happens?
Doubt that tbh. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Nothing like abusing your position. A politician complaining about corruption, wonder if he will dig into the PPE contracts and report them.

16 hours ago, jackal said:

Nothing like abusing your position. A politician complaining about corruption, wonder if he will dig into the PPE contracts and report them.

He'll be too busy calling for the police to investigate why Alice 5 1/2 from Chorley wasn't given a Blue Peter Badge for her finger painting of a snail 

Diadora Van Basten

The idea that Catterall was the clear winner is due to the bias of the Sky commentary team.

The stats given for punches thrown etc. are relevant for amateur boxing but not professional boxing.

With most of the rounds being close it is natural to give them to the boxer going forward rather than the boxer going backwards.

This is how Josh won despite having the worst performance I have seen from him.

Alex Kintner
16 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

The idea that Catterall was the clear winner is due to the bias of the Sky commentary team.

The stats given for punches thrown etc. are relevant for amateur boxing but not professional boxing.

With most of the rounds being close it is natural to give them to the boxer going forward rather than the boxer going backwards.

So why has every ex and current boxer I’ve seen comment on it say that Catteral won it clearly?

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I didn’t think it was in any way close. All of the quality came from catterallc, he made Taylor look average . I struggle to remember taylor landing a meaningful glove on him.

there is no way on earth Taylor won that fight. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Alex Kintner said:

So why has every ex and current boxer I’ve seen comment on it say that Catteral won it clearly?

He did win it clearly. Any suggestion to the contrary is frankly nonsense. It seems to be based on the suggestion there were a lot of close rounds.. quite simply there were not a lot of close rounds 

Edited by kingantti1874

3 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

Quite possibly because they aren't trained to score professional fights or that Josh isn't particularly well liked in boxing because he's not played the game of slowly building a career by beating nobodies and instead flew through fights against champions and ex-champions to unify the belts in a way that none of the other boxers on Sky have managed to do ?

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Quite possibly because they aren't trained to score professional fights or that Josh isn't particularly well liked in boxing because he's not played the game of slowly building a career by beating nobodies and instead flew through fights against champions and ex-champions to unify the belts in a way that none of the other boxers on Sky have managed to do ?

They seem to get it pretty much spot on every other fight in terms of guessing the judges’ cards 🤷🏻‍♂️

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

josh taylor lost that fight. He has done fantastically but he took an absolute beating on the night. 

Bonnie Prince Charlie

But is he still a racist though? The pathetic apology to the take away shop the next again day was pathetic and not genuine. I understand his hatred of the SNP coming from the ‘Pans. I lived there for 6 years and they still live in the past when Labour was king

Diadora Van Basten
7 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

Probably because they watched it on Sky who gave a one sIded verdict on the fight.

People who watched on ESPN didn’t think it was clear cut.

I didn’t see much from Catterall apart from grabbing, holding and turning away from Taylor aided by a very weak referee making it one of the worst fights I have ever seen.

It actually reminds me of some of our Championship games when a tricky opponent sat in and made it difficult with us but lacked the quality to put in a title challenge. Catterall is a second rate fighter who caught Taylor on an off night but would be unlikely to beat any of Taylors last six opponents. 

Alex Kintner
37 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Probably because they watched it on Sky who gave a one sIded verdict on the fight.

People who watched on ESPN didn’t think it was clear cut.

I didn’t see much from Catterall apart from grabbing, holding and turning away from Taylor aided by a very weak referee making it one of the worst fights I have ever seen.

It actually reminds me of some of our Championship games when a tricky opponent sat in and made it difficult with us but lacked the quality to put in a title challenge. Catterall is a second rate fighter who caught Taylor on an off night but would be unlikely to beat any of Taylors last six opponents. 

Catteral landed the most punches, got a knockdown and also cut Taylor. Taylor offered nothing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Diadora Van Basten
12 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Catteral landed the most punches, got a knockdown and also cut Taylor. Taylor offered nothing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

He landed most punches but it’s not amateur boxing. Each round is scored individually and for ten of the rounds all three judges scored the same.

The knockdown was when he caught Taylor coming out of a roll and off balance as opposed to a sustained attack or Taylor being in any trouble.

The cut was from a clash of heads as Catterall and the referee ensured that there was no fighting on the inside in the whole fight.

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

He landed most punches but it’s not amateur boxing. Each round is scored individually and for ten of the rounds all three judges scored the same.

The knockdown was when he caught Taylor coming out of a roll and off balance as opposed to a sustained attack or Taylor being in any trouble.

The cut was from a clash of heads as Catterall and the referee ensured that there was no fighting on the inside in the whole fight.

What positive things did Taylor do to win any rounds?

Diadora Van Basten
10 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

What positive things did Taylor do to win any rounds?

Taylor was the aggressor in the fight. 

If he adopted the same tactics as Catterall then the fight would have resembled a Monty Python sketch.

Alex Kintner
27 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

If he adopted the same tactics as Catterall then the fight would have resembled a Monty Python sketch.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion and I don’t know all that much about boxing but I don’t understand how someone can be labelled the aggressor in a fight when they threw less punches, landed less punches and didn’t land a telling punch at all. It felt like he was out-boxed and tactically out-manouevered. 

Harry Potter
49 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Thats the way i viewed the fight, Taylor was the one moving forward to try and win the fight, 

thats probably been a big factor in the result, im not an expert though.

1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

Fair enough. I respect your opinion and I don’t know all that much about boxing but I don’t understand how someone can be labelled the aggressor in a fight when they threw less punches, landed less punches and didn’t land a telling punch at all. It felt like he was out-boxed and tactically out-manouevered. 

Ignore the stats on punches thrown/landed over the whole fight, the stats are done by compubox where like the judges you have 2 human scorers for the fight, one for each boxer so you can have very different opinions on what constitutes a landed punch.

Here are 5 different punches

1.Punch lands clean as if he was talking to the guy in a pub and sucker punched him
2.Punch lands clean but fighter sees it at last second and rolls with it
3.Punch lands, but grazes gloves/guard on the way in, slowing it
4.Punch grazes the head of a fighter as he is slipping the punch
5.Some of the glove still makes contact but all the force is absorbed by the fighters guard (think of a body shot that a fighter blocks with elbow but part of glove touches body still

Scorer 1 may count 1, 2, and 3 as scoring/landed punches while scorer 2 may count 1-5. Even if both scorers have the same opinion on what constitutes a landed punch it still doesn't give you the breakdown and i'd say a fighter landing 2 type 1 punches has had a better round, causes more damage than one that lands 10 type 3 punches for example.

Also for compubox scoring only jabs are counted as non-power punches, so combined with the above scorer 2 example you can have a punch that barely grazes the head of the opponent being classed as a power punch yet a jab (like the one from Eubank Jr that put Williams on the deck last month) not counted as a power punch.

Alex Kintner
35 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Ignore the stats on punches thrown/landed over the whole fight, the stats are done by compubox where like the judges you have 2 human scorers for the fight, one for each boxer so you can have very different opinions on what constitutes a landed punch.

Here are 5 different punches

1.Punch lands clean as if he was talking to the guy in a pub and sucker punched him
2.Punch lands clean but fighter sees it at last second and rolls with it
3.Punch lands, but grazes gloves/guard on the way in, slowing it
4.Punch grazes the head of a fighter as he is slipping the punch
5.Some of the glove still makes contact but all the force is absorbed by the fighters guard (think of a body shot that a fighter blocks with elbow but part of glove touches body still

Scorer 1 may count 1, 2, and 3 as scoring/landed punches while scorer 2 may count 1-5. Even if both scorers have the same opinion on what constitutes a landed punch it still doesn't give you the breakdown and i'd say a fighter landing 2 type 1 punches has had a better round, causes more damage than one that lands 10 type 3 punches for example.

Also for compubox scoring only jabs are counted as non-power punches, so combined with the above scorer 2 example you can have a punch that barely grazes the head of the opponent being classed as a power punch yet a jab (like the one from Eubank Jr that put Williams on the deck last month) not counted as a power punch.

Thanks for that. Interesting to know how it all works. 👍🏻