Josh Taylor Fight (merged threads)

Radio Ga Ga

Being the aggressor in the fight means absolutely nothing. The scoring criteria is effective aggression. Following someone round the ring for 12 rounds and not landing anything of significance whilst being outlanded with the more eye catching shots should not win you a fight.

Fighting off the back foot is as old a style as boxing itself and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. Someone better tell Floyd Mayweather and Pernell Whittaker they’re not all time greats because they weren’t aggressive enough 😂.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlimOzturk

• been here before

• ri Alban

• neilnunb

22 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

The idea that Catterall was the clear winner is due to the bias of the Sky commentary team.

I do agree that the Sky team (commentary and pundits) were desperate for a new English champ. When Catteral looked good (and could win) they chucked out neutrality. 

I thought Catteral had won, i did feel sorry for him but quickly forgot about it as the seethe at the end from Sky's pundits and commentators was delightful. 

Pretty shite what's happening to JT. As someone once said "The challenger has to rip the title away, not runaway"

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Pretty shite what's happening to JT. As someone once said "The challenger has to rip the title away, not runaway"

also the BBBoC have scapegoated Ian John Lewis due to the publicity, i'm not a huge fan of his scores generally however the BBBoC have said that 'he's been downgraded due to the margin of victory and not that he scored Taylor the winner', seeing as they haven't downgraded the other judge that went with Taylor it means that they have downgraded IJL because of how he scored ONE round (which if memory serves the only round he scored differently to both the other judges was the 4th round, which didn't have anything like a knockdown or someone wobbled)

SuperstarSteve

Catterall was the clear winner in that fight in my opinion. How anyone could give Taylor more than 4 rounds is beyond me. He was soundly beaten.

I agree the over reaction from sky seemed bias to me. We’ve seen robbery after robbery in boxing but the English certainly didn’t like being robbed by a Scot. 

SuperstarSteve
20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Andre Ward gave the fight to Taylor because he was the one on the front foot .

I believe Carl froch also gave taylor the fight but I’d be disagreeing with both. It would be interesting to know what rounds they gave who but I’ve watched it back multiple times and can’t give Taylor more than 4 rounds. 

It would be a good idea to have the judging criteria on screen at the start of the event for fans. 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

Alex Kintner
20 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

I believe Carl froch also gave taylor the fight but I’d be disagreeing with both. It would be interesting to know what rounds they gave who but I’ve watched it back multiple times and can’t give Taylor more than 4 rounds. 

It would be a good idea to have the judging criteria on screen at the start of the event for fans. 

I think it would make it even more interesting if the round by round scores were displayed for everyone to see. The fighters would know where they stand and if they need to step it up. The fans would get even more excited if they knew a fight was, for example, level on rounds going into the last round. It works in every other sport.

👍🏻

Edited by Alex Kintner

Dusk_Till_Dawn
17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Having the title shouldn’t earn you favours off the judges. Taylor lost, and he knows it.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Personally I’d like them to press a button end of each round so possibly another panel are seeing what’s happening and absolutely no doubt about anything untoward going on. 
I thought Catteral won the fight personally but he needs to dry his fecking eyes now. 
Im almost tempted to feel a bit GIRUY to him for the constant whining and asking questions in parliament and police etc. 

Roond ye ya wee wanger. 

Catterall clearly landed more punches from 1-6 and then held on and spoiled for the next 6. I think Catterall edged it but there should be a rematch and im sure Taylor is enough of a sportsman that he will accept that. 

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Having the title shouldn’t earn you favours off the judges. Taylor lost, and he knows it.

Yes, but he didn't lose the way it's been made out.

Plenty have lost and won, why this is any different I'll never know. Phoning the polis. 🤣

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Catterall clearly landed more punches from 1-6 and then held on and spoiled for the next 6. I think Catterall edged it but there should be a rematch and im sure Taylor is enough of a sportsman that he will accept that. 

At a higher weight he will. Otherwise it's a no go. He has already said as much.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Yes, but he didn't lose the way it's been made out.

Plenty have lost and won, why this is any different I'll never know. Phoning the polis. 🤣

Aye fair enough :rofl: can’t argue with that. But the judging was poor

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, briever said:

Same weight division?

Wouldn't be rematch at a different weight and no title.

Edited by ri Alban

Diadora Van Basten

I reckon Josh will find it hard to motivate himself for a fight against Catterall and it’s going to be painful for him to make the weight.

He would have been better fighting either at a higher weight or Teofima Lopez at the same weight.