• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Ex member of the SaS

• Agentjambo

• wavydavy

Hope so mate. if as suggested Halkett may return I think we will be a lot more solid. Also with Gordon and Boyce available we have more experience. I remember when Souttar and Haring came back last season the difference was evident. 

We could not be much worse than last week.

Not by choice, I was at the Livi-St Midden game at the weekend.  It's always hard to judge on Livi's dung heap of a plastic pitch, but both teams were pretty poor.  If we take an offensive approach against the MIdden, we win.  However...

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Haken said:

Not by choice, I was at the Livi-St Midden game at the weekend.  It's always hard to judge on Livi's dung heap of a plastic pitch, but both teams were pretty poor.  If we take an offensive approach against the MIdden, we win.  However...

Why do folk think taking an offensive approach = a win. 

Is this a new tactic that no manager has thought of? 

Attack , press  and the team wins. 

Doesn't matter what team it is, this seems to be the all conquering tactic that will shake the opposition to the core and they'll have no answer to. 

From rangers at Ibrox to AT, it seems to be the go to approach. 

Jkb is full of these over simplistic tactics that folk think Guarentee wins and that  no one in football has ever thought off or tried. 

No great fan of GMS but he should start instead of Cochrane. I am totally fed up of watching the ball go up the left wing to Cochrane then 9 times out of ten come straight back again. He can't use his right foot and opposition know this. 

MR INCREDIBLE

Gordon

Natty  Souttar Halkett. Kingsley

Sibbick.  Beni

Gino.        MCENEFF.       McKay

Simms

Quite simple really !!!!!!!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Doesn't matter what team it is, this seems to be the all conquering tactic that will shake the opposition to the core and they'll have no answer to. 

Jkb is full of these over simplistic tactics that folk think Guarentee wins and that  no one in football has ever thought off or tried. 

I'm willing to bow to your superior knowledge of the game.  But my post was based on me having watched St Mirren on Saturday and not being overly impressed with their defence.  So for my simplistic mind, having a go at their area of weakness might produce a result.

Alternatively we can lower ourselves to their level and try to mitigate what we think their strength might be and say 'Bob' a lot.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Once again you have a go and miss the whole point of attacking/pressing football. When playing teams like the bigots who invariably have the whole pitch to play on, closing them down works. It has been proved time and time again. The way we play just now means teams defenses gets back and fills the box stopping us playing. How many times has it been said on here that we can't break down teams that sit in. By going on the front foot we get the ball early and push forward before they can regroup.

We've played St Mirren away in the SPL/Premiership 17 times since the turn of the century - won 5, drawn 7, lost 5 - 29% win rate.  Our win there earlier this season was our first in 9 attempts though, the first since December 2010 when Templeton and Kyle (p) scored in a 2 - 0 win.  We then failed to score in 6 of our following 8 visits.

I don't think we'll ever have gone through there with them in better form than they are currently.  That, plus our current form, plus our record through there in recent times doesn't fill me with confidence.   To me, this is the sort of game we should win fairly routinely, but it's certainly not been the case recently.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Gordon

Sibbick.  Beni

Simms

That's different, but if Smith is fit I'd chuck him in at right back, but I like the balance of the rest of it, and if it doesn't work with McEneff, then chuck Pollock in there and give the laddie a chance. 👍

1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Gordon

Sibbick.  Beni

Simms

Shouting at McEneff already, give the lad a chance. lol

59 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Once again you have a go and miss the whole point of attacking/pressing football. When playing teams like the bigots who invariably have the whole pitch to play on, closing them down works. It has been proved time and time again. The way we play just now means teams defenses gets back and fills the box stopping us playing. How many times has it been said on here that we can't break down teams that sit in. By going on the front foot we get the ball early and push forward before they can regroup.

Something that worked for us (mostly) in the first half of the season. For some reason every single player is negative in their approach now. They know they can do it and we know what they're capable of, that's the frustrating part.

Defeat on Saturday.

I wish I could feel a bit confident about getting a result v St Midden but after recent displays I just can't. However football is a funny game and hopefully we can turn things around again soon, starting in Paisley.

27 minutes ago, martinb said:

Shouting at McEneff already, give the lad a chance. lol

Mr Incredible just boasting that he can spell Aaron's surname correctly 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Gordon

Sibbick.  Beni

Simms

I'd drop Boyce in for Mcnefe at some point. I thought he looked better the other week when he had to drop back to collect the ball.  Gave the midfield some energy

13 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Mr Incredible just boasting that he can spell Aaron's surname correctly 🤣🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I'd drop Boyce in for Mcnefe at some point. I thought he looked better the other week when he had to drop back to collect the ball.  Gave the midfield some energy

I see what you did there :)

A_A wehatethehibs

I reckon Finlay Pollock has got more chance of a game than Mceneff tbh. Reckon Pollock would’ve been introduced sooner if not for a broken foot. He impressed us in the LC groups and was purposely not sent on loan by Robbie so surely has to get at least 1 game at some point. There are no easy games to do it. AFAIK he had covid as well which was another spanner.

Big question mark as to whether Robbie would be so bold though, with the stakes as high as they are. Some freshness is needed, he has to find something new in the final 3rd because we are simply not scoring enough. For me I think it could be the time for a bold choice. I don’t see much future for mceneff tho. 

25 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I reckon Finlay Pollock has got more chance of a game than Mceneff tbh. Reckon Pollock would’ve been introduced sooner if not for a broken foot. He impressed us in the LC groups and was purposely not sent on loan by Robbie so surely has to get at least 1 game at some point. There are no easy games to do it. AFAIK he had covid as well which was another spanner.

Big question mark as to whether Robbie would be so bold though, with the stakes as high as they are. Some freshness is needed, he has to find something new in the final 3rd because we are simply not scoring enough. For me I think it could be the time for a bold choice. I don’t see much future for mceneff tho. 

Pollock always feels like a waste of a body on the bench. He seems to be  there a lot but never used.

it would be nice to see him get a chance

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Jonkel Hoon said:

Pollock always feels like a waste of a body on the bench. He seems to be  there a lot but never used.

it would be nice to see him get a chance

Only been recent that he’s come back in. He recovered from the broken foot in mid January so I’ve took his appearances on the bench as a good sign. 

3 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Gordon

Sibbick.  Beni

Simms

McEneff is becoming another mythical talent, everyone shouting about him being in the team but so far he’s rarely impressed. I’m all for trying him out but I suspect many will be disappointed.

Ex member of the SaS

Midden play on Wed ( away to Dundee ) so we will get a better idea of what we are up against. Heart says win Head says a draw if lucky. ( unless Robbie has a brain storm and attacks. )

Ex member of the SaS
7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

McEneff is becoming another mythical talent, everyone shouting about him being in the team but so far he’s rarely impressed. I’m all for trying him out but I suspect many will be disappointed.

Been discussed before, Thrown on against Sevco and was dumped next game ( same as Ginnelly ) so unless he is given a run we will never know. Many saying players need a good pre season, and guys not getting game time, is like playing them without a pre season.

Berra than you
11 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I get that players can be overhyped when out the team, but he's not had a run of games at all. He's played 490 minutes for us this season dotted about the season. In those minutes he's scored twice and got an assist, on what is essentially 5 and a half games. 

I'd say that's pretty good going for someone who hasn't had a run of games. Even if he doesn't start he has shown he can offer more off the bench than other attacking midfielders this season.

10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Midden play on Wed ( away to Dundee ) so we will get a better idea of what we are up against. Heart says win Head says a draw if lucky. ( unless Robbie has a brain storm and attacks. )

we will also get a better idea of how stephen robinson wants them to play since he has now become their new manager. that assumes he will be in the dugout on wed

42 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I think that fact that McEneff always looks forward is giving people hopes he is the answer. Its clear that Haring, Beni and Devlin are the same type of players. The need for change is clear, hence people calling for McEneff. His inclusion in the correct position would change the whole dynamic of how the team currently play. You dont have to be Messi or Ronaldo to change the dynamic of a team, especially one that is low in confidence.

Just one example from the top of my head. Struggling against Dundee away. We brought on McEneff and Walker and the game changed. Walkers goal actually came from a McEneff shot. The current front line seem to be worried about having a shot. 

Ex member of the SaS

McKay has been unlucky TBF. The problem is ( and Robbie said it ) we try to score a perfect goal, always looking to pass instead of having a blast. Again part of the problem is, we are too slow going forward, so the opposition flood the box making a blast hit and miss trying to get through a ruck of players.

Get on the front foot and have a go when the chance arises, hopefully before their defense gets back in place. Slow build up is causing us more problems than possession football is gaining.

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Been discussed before, Thrown on against Sevco and was dumped next game ( same as Ginnelly ) so unless he is given a run we will never know. Many saying players need a good pre season, and guys not getting game time, is like playing them without a pre season.

1 hour ago, Berra than you said:

I get that players can be overhyped when out the team, but he's not had a run of games at all. He's played 490 minutes for us this season dotted about the season. In those minutes he's scored twice and got an assist, on what is essentially 5 and a half games. 

I'd say that's pretty good going for someone who hasn't had a run of games. Even if he doesn't start he has shown he can offer more off the bench than other attacking midfielders this season.

1 hour ago, Rods said:

I think that fact that McEneff always looks forward is giving people hopes he is the answer. Its clear that Haring, Beni and Devlin are the same type of players. The need for change is clear, hence people calling for McEneff. His inclusion in the correct position would change the whole dynamic of how the team currently play. You dont have to be Messi or Ronaldo to change the dynamic of a team, especially one that is low in confidence.

Just one example from the top of my head. Struggling against Dundee away. We brought on McEneff and Walker and the game changed. Walkers goal actually came from a McEneff shot. The current front line seem to be worried about having a shot. 

I’m not suggesting we don’t give it a go, only we’ve seen this before an out of favour player getting hyped up only to be slaughtered when he does get a chance. I hope like everyone he’s the answer 🤞

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

McKay has been unlucky TBF. The problem is ( and Robbie said it ) we try to score a perfect goal, always looking to pass instead of having a blast. Again part of the problem is, we are too slow going forward, so the opposition flood the box making a blast hit and miss trying to get through a ruck of players.

Get on the front foot and have a go when the chance arises, hopefully before their defense gets back in place. Slow build up is causing us more problems than possession football is gaining.

You can always get a deflected goal or a corner.

Ex member of the SaS
22 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

You can always get a deflected goal or a corner.

When was the last time we scored from a corner or even second phase?

Every time we take a corner I say"we never score from corners " in the faint hope that fate will step in and prove me wrong! Not happened in a long time. Pathetic,I had a sore throught after last week!!

42 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Good point ☹️

Which ever 11 players we start with, they need to be on it from the off, prove they care as much as we do and stop the rot by turning all those scoring opportunities into goals. I think the dip in form is just that, a dip, we need to shake it off pronto though and put a wee run together. That's not to.much to ask for is it? Rhetorical question.

C'mon the Gorgie, The Mighty JT's. Go for the jugular.

3-0 first half

1-0 second half. 

They're no scoring, no danger. 

5 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I’m not suggesting we don’t give it a go, only we’ve seen this before an out of favour player getting hyped up only to be slaughtered when he does get a chance. I hope like everyone he’s the answer 🤞

McEneff has a Ryan Edwards feel about him. He will bring a new mindset to the team. 

433 for me 

gordon 

Smith halkett sibbick Kingsley

haring McEneff beni

McKay Boyce Ginelly 

43 minutes ago, Rods said:

McEneff has a Ryan Edwards feel about him. He will bring a new mindset to the team. 

433 for me 

gordon 

Smith halkett sibbick Kingsley

haring McEneff beni

McKay Boyce Ginelly 

I wouldn’t drop Simms and I’d be expecting a lot more out of Gino than last week! Souttar is still our best defender especially if Halkett is back those two plus Kingsley are our best defensive options.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Some of the reasons we have struggled recently:

1. the back 3 has been disrupted with Halkett's injury and the Soutar-to-Rangers media f*ckfest
  2. Haring, Devlin and Beni have been playing musical chairs and we don't know which pair will start
  3. Our front 3 have been rotated and Boyce's Covid
  4. Cochrane has developed a phobia for getting up the left wing and waits till a defender is in front of him before he shoots

Every department of our team has chopped, changed and changed again. We need our strongest team and I'd love to see us go 433:

Gordon 

Smith        Soutar       Halkett    Kingsley

Beni            Haring       Devlin                

McKay          Boyce         Simms 

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Something that worked for us (mostly) in the first half of the season. For some reason every single player is negative in their approach now. They know they can do it and we know what they're capable of, that's the frustrating part.

Defeat on Saturday.

"every single player is negative in their approach now" 

"defeat Saturday". 

🤣🤣🤣

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Bah

Info from 2010.🤣🤣

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Has it been that long?

Strangley, I can't find any info on corners or set pieces. 

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

"every single player is negative in their approach now" 

"defeat Saturday". 

🤣🤣🤣

Do you disagree?

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, DG_HMFC said:

Do you disagree?

First part yes. 

2nd part unsure, we could get beat, but we could also win or draw. 

The irony in you moaning about the players being negative then you stating "defeat Saturday" is just comedy gold tho. 

54 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

First part yes. 

2nd part unsure, we could get beat, but we could also win or draw. 

The irony in you moaning about the players being negative then you stating "defeat Saturday" is just comedy gold tho. 

No it's not. I have no control over the result at the weekend, the players do, they are playing well within themselves just now so I predict a defeat. I'm not being negative I'm being realistic.

Edit: And I'm not moaning, it's just me view on our current form. 

Edited by DG_HMFC

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

No it's not. I have no control over the result at the weekend, the players do, they are playing well within themselves just now so I predict a defeat. I'm not being negative I'm being realistic.

Edit: And I'm not moaning, it's just me view on our current form. 

Ok, I generally like your posts but the irony isn't lost on me, I found that one funny. 

47 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ok, I generally like your posts but the irony isn't lost on me, I found that one funny. 

😁

23 hours ago, Rudy T said:

It'd help if folk actually wanted him in the team in his natural position and not as a no10, played majority of his career as one of a central midfield two

14 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Some of the reasons we have struggled recently:

1. the back 3 has been disrupted with Halkett's injury and the Soutar-to-Rangers media f*ckfest
  2. Haring, Devlin and Beni have been playing musical chairs and we don't know which pair will start
  3. Our front 3 have been rotated and Boyce's Covid
  4. Cochrane has developed a phobia for getting up the left wing and waits till a defender is in front of him before he shoots

Every department of our team has chopped, changed and changed again. We need our strongest team and I'd love to see us go 433:

Gordon 

Smith        Soutar       Halkett    Kingsley

Beni            Haring       Devlin                

McKay          Boyce         Simms 

Maybe it's time to try a  4-2-3-1 especially away from home.

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Sibbick 

Atkinson Beni Devlin kingsley

Mckay

Boyce Simms 

Stick with the back 3, play Kingsley left wing back Atkinson right wing back. McKay in the hole and front two of Boyce and Simms. Far better balance and a competent left wing back. Sibbick will improve next to Halkett and Souttar. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 19/02/2022 at 18:23, Robbies Tackle said:

They will appoint a manager this week and get an instant bounce.

Aberdeen at home then Dundee Utd away after too.   Can't see us win until Livingston at home and even them we couldn't score against in 120 minutes last week. 

They were on a bounce anyway. That’s what they needed a new manager