Time to bin the hating and the booing

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Stevo's column is well written, well considered, and I don't see a bit of it that's wrong.

The only time this season that I thought booing was appropriate was at Dundee, where several players just downed tools in the second half, and at the introduction of Souttar the match after he signed his pre with Rangers.

You can't expect fans to not express displeasure at all times. That said, there's been booing audible on Hearts TV after some draws where the players competed well but didn't get the end product and that's entirely out of line IMO.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• Sub4TiddlerMurray

Ex member of the SaS

I don't get why people ask these questions. How do fans ( during a game ) make their feelings known to the players and side lines? Well obviously when we are playing well and scoring/winning they cheer, clap and sing making it obvious. Likewise when the fans are fed up and sick of negative football, back passing and no forward movement and equally obviously no goals/wins then they boo. It's really not that hard to understand. The only other way to make it clear is to stay away but once you lose fans it's very hard to get them back.

If the manager plays the players in their best positions gets them playing well and attacking football then you won't hear any boos.

As the third biggest club it's not entitlement to want third it's expected. Yes occasionally there will be times when another bigish club takes third but with the money we spend compared to the rest then yes I would expect third as a given. We won't win every game, the huns did but that was a freak so losing is also expected, however it's the manner of the loss that some just can't accept.

What is the alternative to show your feelings if you aren’t happy with the way things are going at that moment in time ?

Or do we just be all happy and clap regardless?

3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I don't get why people ask these questions. How do fans ( during a game ) make their feelings known to the players and side lines? Well obviously when we are playing well and scoring/winning they cheer, clap and sing making it obvious. Likewise when the fans are fed up and sick of negative football, back passing and no forward movement and equally obviously no goals/wins then they boo. It's really not that hard to understand. The only other way to make it clear is to stay away but once you lose fans it's very hard to get them back.

If the manager plays the players in their best positions gets them playing well and attacking football then you won't hear any boos.

As the third biggest club it's not entitlement to want third it's expected. Yes occasionally there will be times when another bigish club takes third but with the money we spend compared to the rest then yes I would expect third as a given. We won't win every game, the huns did but that was a freak so losing is also expected, however it's the manner of the loss that some just can't accept.

This is kind of a cringe metaphor but it's the best one I can think of—the "boo" is the ace in the deck of ways to express displeasure. Stunned silence, groans, angry yells, saying "naw!" or some such do plenty to communicate displeasure. Going all the way to, "BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" means that things are really shite and unacceptable.

And again, when the whole stadium gave that at the end of the Dundee match, it was fully deserved as that was an atrocious performance. But that's the extreme. Not deserved in the least at the end of the 90 against Livingston.

Bazzas right boot

We should boo and hate on our team  more. 

It's proven that if you boo and hate your own team really, really hard they gain confidence, play better and win. 

It's also proven to really scare and put off the opposition when a crowd turns on thier own. 

The other team hates it when the other fans turn on their own team. 

V Dundee, If we'd booed harder, maybe even after our goal, got the hate in  early we'd have won 4-0.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

What is the alternative to show your feelings if you aren’t happy with the way things are going at that moment in time ?

Or do we just be all happy and clap regardless?

If we didn't boo, then the players wouldn't know they'd been shite or gotten a poor result. 

V Dundee, they were probably happy with the result and performance, but thankfully us fans put them right. 

Despite playing the sport all their life's, Players are unable to work out what  Is a good or bad  performance by themselves. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I know it ain't pretty at times but any outsider popping into Tynbie to watch a game would think we are bottom 6

Folk are peddling the shite football myth- again. 

We play the best football outside the of. 

I'm not having anyone say  Aberdeen, Dundee, St Johnstone, utd, livi, Hibs etc play better football than us. 

They just don't. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'm not having anyone say  Aberdeen, Dundee, St Johnstone, utd, livi, Hibs etc play better football than us. 

They just don't. 

The racist shitebag in Dingwall has them playing attacking football albeit while leaking goals aplenty. That's about the only side outwith the OF that have any claim to even better entertainment value, much less better football.

11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

They just don't. 

Playing better football than the teams you name does not necessarily mean we play good football though does it?

We can be 3rd and the football shite.

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Playing better football than the teams you name does not necessarily mean we play good football though does it?

If nobody outwith the OF in Scotland are playing good football, there's very likely some structural things getting in the way of good football.

One obvious one is that the refereeing is shit. VAR won't solve everything but it would help a lot and could cut down on the ticky-tack garbage that happens in the midfield and inside the box.

The resource gaps and the stupid 12-team league setup don't help much either.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It might be partly because our fans are entitled but we’re the third biggest club in Scotland and that brings expectation and entitlement. Entitlement is used as a dirty word on here but we’ve underachieved for 5-6 years. I feel ‘entitled’ to expect us to beat most sides at tynecastle.

Robbie has plenty credit in the bank from me but I expect people are concerned the wheels are going to come off like they did for a spell last season. Difference being we were playing quite poor teams in comparison to this season. 

That said, there are folk who didn’t want RN back and have made up their minds on him no matter the results or performances. 

Maybe expectation is more appropriate than entitlement i.e. I expect us to beat most teams at Tynie but I never feel entitled to it.

If that makes sense!

Purely my opinion.

Booing a result or a team performance at the end of the game. Perfectly acceptable and can benefit the team.

Booing an individual player because he’s made a mistake earlier or whatever reason whenever he touches the ball. Unacceptable and completely counter productive.

2 minutes ago, Boris said:

Maybe expectation is more appropriate than entitlement i.e. I expect us to beat most teams at Tynie but I never feel entitled to it.

If that makes sense!

Makes perfect sense. My point was really that entitlement gets chucked about here meant almost as an insult at times. 

Fans are entitled to their expectations is what I was getting at 😀, I suppose. 

Ex member of the SaS
22 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

They just don't. 

That maybe true but Peterhead did a no bad job the other night, just as well you didn't include them.

Just now, GinRummy said:

Makes perfect sense. My point was really that entitlement gets chucked about here meant almost as an insult at times. 

Fans are entitled to their expectations is what I was getting at 😀, I suppose. 

Haha, yes of course they are.

But in its usual context, entitlement is pejorative, imo. Just look at the OF!

Football is a strange old game, a few bad results can completely skew everything.  And in terms of in game support, just a handful of people can make overall atmosphere positive or negative.

If you gave me our current scenario back in the summer, we would have all offered up body parts in return.  

I think part of the current discontent stems from the fact although we have improved the squad over January, performances seem to be getting worse.

Me personally, delighted with how the season is going and have full support of Robbie, but a few more bad results could completely de rail the season.  Saturday is a absolute must win if we want to finish season in style.

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Haha, yes of course they are.

But in its usual context, entitlement is pejorative, imo. Just look at the OF!

Yeah, expectation is probably the better word. I’m just clinging on to my point for the sake of it. I think the people who use it in a pejorative way on here should largely use the word expectation because that’s mainly what they are criticising - other fans expectations of what the club should be doing. I don’t think there is a strong sense of entitlement in our support. I do think there is strong sense that we’ve under achieved in recent history and we expect better. 

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

The two words are closely linked in the way they are used on here.  I mentioned expectation in the post you quoted. Entitlement can mean different things but I take it to mean, in the sense it is used on here, as having the right to something. Nobody actually has the right to win football games but I feel we, as fans of the third biggest club have the right to expect third and to beat the majority of sides at home. Another way of phrasing it is that we are entitled to expect that.

Just my interpretation.

What really gets my goat is fans calling other fans entitled for expecting us to achieve the levels our finance allows. We aren’t St Mirren or Dundee Utd. 

If it was as simple as you say then there would be no point in playing, teams would just be placed according to their finances. 

Of course we know football doesn't work like that 

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Yep. If you express any expectations on this site you will be labelled as entitled however.

One of the many insults banded about by the CL Anon group of revisionists and trolls that follow every thread.

No one is entitled to win a game of football, but people can expect a certain level of success, provided its realistic. 

5 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

If it was as simple as you say then there would be no point in playing, teams would just be placed according to their finances. 

Of course we know football doesn't work like that 

I never said it was simple. 

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

They just don't. 

:4_1_72:

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, Gambo said:

It gives context.

If we play the 3rd best football in Scotland and are currently the 3rd best side in Scotland  and you are still greetin and slavering away, then maybe Scottish football or Hearts is not what you need for entertainment.

41 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Why do you bother you will never be happy. 

As the a great man once said. 

Go and watch Man City. 

You'd probably moan about the pies instead😏

22 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Purely my opinion.

Booing a result or a team performance at the end of the game. Perfectly acceptable and can benefit the team.

Booing an individual player because he’s made a mistake earlier or whatever reason whenever he touches the ball. Unacceptable and completely counter productive.

I pretty much agree with you. We all pay our money and will applaud effort, good play, etc. We will cheer goals and victories. We will even sing your name when you become one of us. It seems only natural that people may want to boo (it’s either that or silence but that doesn’t really have the same impact does it?) when we don’t feel the effort, or quality was on show. For most people it doesn’t really mean anything other than a frustration release and a plea for better next time.

I think it’s only a problem if someone wanted to carry that on week after week, regardless of subsequent results and effort, etc. Every game is a new page.

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It might be partly because our fans are entitled but we’re the third biggest club in Scotland and that brings expectation and entitlement. Entitlement is used as a dirty word on here but we’ve underachieved for 5-6 years. I feel ‘entitled’ to expect us to beat most sides at tynecastle.

Robbie has plenty credit in the bank from me but I expect people are concerned the wheels are going to come off like they did for a spell last season. Difference being we were playing quite poor teams in comparison to this season. 

That said, there are folk who didn’t want RN back and have made up their minds on him no matter the results or performances. 

I thought we were more for almost if not all of last season just awful to watch and the cup results were historical lows for the club. This season we have played much better, but over the last few games we have gone back to being an awful team to watch. We are looking poorly organised and very predictable. 

I had doubts and still do regarding the ability of RN to take us forward on a consistent basis.

Every set of fans at  every club display displeasure. Rarely is it unjustified. Sometimes those that don't , don't have an argument against what they've just seen. 

4 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/robbie-neilson-doing-hearts-proud-26238887

I was reading this article by Stevenson and it hit home just how ridiculous it is that we are sitting in the healthiest position the club has ever been in in my lifetime and it's still not good enough for some people. 

Is it something to do with these social media, anti-vax and post Trump times where people will now defend their contrary opinion to the death no matter what evidence exists. Is it because football is something for unhappy people to project their negativity onto? Have people been stewing too long in lockdown? Do we have a higher proportion of "entitled" fans than other clubs?

What is going on here?

You know what's ridiculous, reading anything Stevenson writes.

Fans are perfectly entitled to boo if they think the offering is shit - it was ever thus.

Edited by briever

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I thought we were more for almost if not all of last season just awful to watch and the cup results were historical lows for the club. This season we have played much better, but over the last few games we have gone back to being an awful team to watch. We are looking poorly organised and very predictable. 

I had doubts and still do regarding the ability of RN to take us forward on a consistent basis.

Last season was about getting the job done I suppose. You could say the same about the Livi game. Poorly organised and predictable sums up the Rangers and Dundee games though. I just hope we pull it together and it doesn’t end up another slump/blip like it did last season. 

I too have doubts about RN but he’s at least earned a chance by where he has us this season. 

From my personal view, I have been supportive of how we were trying to impose a new style of playing and when it was working I was vocally supportive of the implementation even in dips during games where it didn’t always work out. Latterly, while still supporting the ethos of how we want to play, my dissatisfaction of the gradual demise of style has begun to wear me down. I now attend games and hope to see a return to form. What I have watched for what seems like a long time, is performances not too far removed from the early relegation/demotion season. The common denominator performance wise is the decimation of our core defensive stalwarts. And a subsequent scatter gun attempt to resolve this with mass changes in both personnel and playing style which we are I’ll equipped for. We have  only Halkett missing from the defence so the meddling with formation to a certain extent should reduce. However I am now experiencing a ‘can’t be bothered’ caring phase, which is probably a defence mechanism to stop me getting thrown out of the stadium. I have come to the conclusion that I will now worry about myself first and lower my expectations. That doesn’t mean I’m any less a supporter, just that I have gained perspective and realise that losing my head over ‘a game’ isn’t worth ruining my health. I’ve been attending game as since the late fifties so have seen just about every type of hearts team and at no time could we expect to win all the time and sometimes attending a match was a social thing to be enjoyed with friends win or lose. That’s my ramble over🥴

2 minutes ago, Tatlock said:

From my personal view, I have been supportive of how we were trying to impose a new style of playing and when it was working I was vocally supportive of the implementation even in dips during games where it didn’t always work out. Latterly, while still supporting the ethos of how we want to play, my dissatisfaction of the gradual demise of style has begun to wear me down. I now attend games and hope to see a return to form. What I have watched for what seems like a long time, is performances not too far removed from the early relegation/demotion season. The common denominator performance wise is the decimation of our core defensive stalwarts. And a subsequent scatter gun attempt to resolve this with mass changes in both personnel and playing style which we are I’ll equipped for. We have  only Halkett missing from the defence so the meddling with formation to a certain extent should reduce. However I am now experiencing a ‘can’t be bothered’ caring phase, which is probably a defence mechanism to stop me getting thrown out of the stadium. I have come to the conclusion that I will now worry about myself first and lower my expectations. That doesn’t mean I’m any less a supporter, just that I have gained perspective and realise that losing my head over ‘a game’ isn’t worth ruining my health. I’ve been attending game as since the late fifties so have seen just about every type of hearts team and at no time could we expect to win all the time and sometimes attending a match was a social thing to be enjoyed with friends win or lose. That’s my ramble over🥴

Well said.  It's as if someone read that fan is short for fanatic and the idea that you should be expressing anything but adulation for anything and everything Hearts do is bewildering.

4 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Well I don’t think it has anything to do with Trump. 

Is there much Robbie hating and booing at matches? There was noise after the Dundee match and quite rightly so. 

You might be onto something here Des ? 
Robbie gets booed , winning manager sacked ? It’s a conspiracy?

1 hour ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

The only real boo's I've heard were towards Souttar v St Johnstone. Left before FT v Dundee so didn't hear if there was any but I can understand if there was. I guess folk will never take to Neilson as it is boring to watch 90% of the time. Im not in the Neilson out camp, we are in our best position in years, but going to the games is a bit "meh". The pub tends to be the best part of the day. 

I don't think I've heard a Hearts player directly boo'd by pretty much all corners of the stadium before. Impressive feat by Souttar :D Hopefully something that is taken note of by players to come on dos and don'ts as a Hearts player. 

I've heard comments from the likes of McGeady about loving playing at Tynie because the crowd are right on top of you. I think managers of smaller sides have admitted they'll shape up to try and turn the crowd on us by frustrating us. 

So I do think the OP has a point. Would be good if the frustrations could be turned round and redirected at their team rather than ours - Too shite to play football? Playing for a draw - embarrassing etc. rather than losing it at our own. 

Admittedly that can be difficult, especially when our front 3 are giving the 3 blind mice a run for their money at times. 

Media outlets look at forums for material and invariably look at this holocaustic site for inspiration.

It's a troll fest continuelly frequented by another sites trolls and poorly moderated. The "Neilson" thread being a classic example.

It's how the media works these days and unfortunately this site hasn't moved with the times.

As long as this place continues in the same vain the media will pursue the negative narrative. That's how the media in Scotland works.

All my opinion and rights are reserved.

👍

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

That maybe true but Peterhead did a no bad job the other night, just as well you didn't include them.

What did Peterhead do the other night?

41 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It gives context.

If we play the 3rd best football in Scotland and are currently the 3rd best side in Scotland  and you are still greetin and slavering away, then maybe Scottish football or Hearts is not what you need for entertainment.

I was talking about good football though. Not 3 points, not 3rd  in the league, not next round of Cup.

You sometimes need to learn you can talk about....3rd in League, Cup runs and the performance. (everything as a whole)

You can talk about only results only.

You can also separate performances from results and discuss them.

Learn that and this may be a happy place for you.

7 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I was talking about good football though. Not 3 points, not 3rd  in the league, not next round of Cup.

You sometimes need to learn you can talk about....3rd in League, Cup runs and the performance. (everything as a whole)

WTF is "good football?" I mean objectively. The purpose of the game is to score more goals and collect more points and thereby win competitions.

I like possession, passing-oriented football. It's certainly not the only style that's appealing but there have been times, even in our recent slump, where we played some lovely triangles on the side and left Livi defenders lunging the wrong direction.

Others may like route one hoofball because it generates open opportunities for strikers to display a bit of skill in breaking down a defender or a keeper. And good on them. Not my favorite but I see the appeal.

It's certainly not my favorite but there's a time and place for just parking the ****ing bus and forcing a superior opponent to solve your defence and putting in heroic challenges when they do. Against my best judgement I found myself applauding that wank Lenny's win over Barcelona because it hard to deny that it was nervy and courageous.

Most people when they say "good football" mean a decent number of goals, good passing, retaining the ball, and trying to do more than poach goals. We do that. The fact that you don't like it (and fair dos to you) doesn't mean that the rest of us are somehow deluded wastrels.

gorgie rd eh11
48 minutes ago, Gambo said:

You're confusing entrtaining football with good football. 3 points is good football.

1 hour ago, Tatlock said:

You’re comparing performances now with when we were bottom after 28 games under CL and Stendel?

5 minutes ago, Glottis said:

A boo at the end of a defeat to relegation strugglers Dundee? Fair enough.

A boo at HT 0-0 vs livi - seems daft.

Performance related booing. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

You get paid more if you boo louder? 😄

Playing poorly equates to louder booing. Playing well means louder cheering. Simples 

5 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Playing poorly equates to louder booing. Playing well means louder cheering. Simples 

Another failed attempt at humour by me. 🥸

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

WTF is "good football?" I mean objectively. The purpose of the game is to score more goals and collect more points and thereby win competitions.

I like possession, passing-oriented football. It's certainly not the only style that's appealing but there have been times, even in our recent slump, where we played some lovely triangles on the side and left Livi defenders lunging the wrong direction.

Others may like route one hoofball because it generates open opportunities for strikers to display a bit of skill in breaking down a defender or a keeper. And good on them. Not my favorite but I see the appeal.

It's certainly not my favorite but there's a time and place for just parking the ****ing bus and forcing a superior opponent to solve your defence and putting in heroic challenges when they do. Against my best judgement I found myself applauding that wank Lenny's win over Barcelona because it hard to deny that it was nervy and courageous.

Most people when they say "good football" mean a decent number of goals, good passing, retaining the ball, and trying to do more than poach goals. We do that. The fact that you don't like it (and fair dos to you) doesn't mean that the rest of us are somehow deluded wastrels.

By good football I mean getting the best out of the squad more often than not.  We are not great at the possession football, we have to rely too much on CG pulling us out the mire imo.

Some of the good football (imo)we have witnessed this season has been when we are chasing the game. Sadly we revert back to slow side to side play, with a top heavy 'defensive' set up very next game (Nothing learned) The players imo WANT to play a more expansive game. 

Your wee triangles can be good, but we try triangles after triangles too often with no end result. I like moving the ball forwards quickly and forwardS moving defenders about, midfielders getting beyond front players but if we do go forwards quickly we have to hope more often than not our forward can hold it up and bring others into play behind him to play triangle after triangle.

Do i think RN gets anywhere near the best out of this squad, no I don't. Does that mean I think we should win every game and be top of the league....no it does not, but if you date to say we could be playing better, you are instantly, by a few, accused of expecting to be top and winning every game.

I can separate results/performances after a game, some can't, but I don't go name calling when someone has a different view point. I give my thoughts, some may agree,  some may disagree.....that's football, the same people may agree with me on some things and disagree on others matters, that's football. On JKB it seems it has to be one or the other though.

We have a few posters on here that, take Dundee defeat at home as an instance, the performance most agree was disappointing and many many said so, but these few if we had got something from the game, if Gordon had saved us etc, would not have been able to bring themselves to say it was a poor performance.

No one is unhappy with 3rd, some, quite rightly imo (without name calling those that dont) question whether we could go still about getting 3rd with a better brand of football than we get to witness with the squad available. 

7/8 primarily defensive players 3/2 primarily forward thinking players against most teams in this league  and at home.....really?

Some think we play attacking football but do we really, with all these primarily defensive minded players? Who's moving/working defenders, who's breaking past the forward, who's natural instinct is to shoot as opposed to finding another pass?

Performance wise, we have played well in stages of games this season, but not enough for my and many others liking. Dundee Utd 5-2 @ home is about the only time we could say we got 90mins from the team (Auchinlech as well but come on). (A look back at match threads/social media/voices at the game tells this story).

3rd is great, 1/4 finals of cup is great, performances on the whole have not been great and coild be considerably better.....my opinion. Others think ALL is great and nothing could be better.

Some, on here, can't bring themselves to say ANYTHING negative about performances, as if they did, then by there own words, would have to HATE Neilson.

It is okay to enjoy the result but not be happy with performance, but to some that = hobo/troll/hater etc etc.

Some think and talk like we are the level of a St.Mirren/Dundee/St.Johnstone but that's my opinion. 

There are trolls on both sides of the debate, of that there is no doubt.

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

I give up.

The Goalscoring Knee
4 hours ago, bigdav said:

Even better one was v Clydebank I think.  0-0. Lots of booing. Cammy Fraser scored a hat trick to make it 3-0,gave the fans the Vs,Clydebank promptly scored 3 to get a draw. My memory might be playing tricks on me so would be good if anyone else remembers this.

This sounded intriguing so I checked London Hearts. January 5 1980, Derek O'Connor scored 3 in 20-odd minutes after the break. Then Clydebank score 3, the equaliser in the 87th minute. 5,172 att. Can't have been many times we score 3 and still get booed off at half-time and full-time. 

Edited by The Goalscoring Knee

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It gives context.

The entertainment was thin on the ground on Saturday.

3rd rate you might say.