Time to bin the hating and the booing

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Sub4TiddlerMurray

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/robbie-neilson-doing-hearts-proud-26238887

I was reading this article by Stevenson and it hit home just how ridiculous it is that we are sitting in the healthiest position the club has ever been in in my lifetime and it's still not good enough for some people. 

Is it something to do with these social media, anti-vax and post Trump times where people will now defend their contrary opinion to the death no matter what evidence exists. Is it because football is something for unhappy people to project their negativity onto? Have people been stewing too long in lockdown? Do we have a higher proportion of "entitled" fans than other clubs?

What is going on here?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• Sub4TiddlerMurray

1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/robbie-neilson-doing-hearts-proud-26238887

I was reading this article by Stevenson and it hit home just how ridiculous it is that we are sitting in the healthiest position the club has ever been in in my lifetime and it's still not good enough for some people. 

Is it something to do with these social media, anti-vax and post Trump times where people will now defend their contrary opinion to the death no matter what evidence exists. Is it because football is something for unhappy people to project their negativity onto? Have people been stewing too long in lockdown? Do we have a higher proportion of "entitled" fans than other clubs?

What is going on here?

:facepalm: 

1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

:facepalm: 

To somehow link booing at Tynecastle and Anti-vax/Trump times (whatever that is) takes some doing. 

The inability for people to deal with different opinions and views is the problem. 

It might be partly because our fans are entitled but we’re the third biggest club in Scotland and that brings expectation and entitlement. Entitlement is used as a dirty word on here but we’ve underachieved for 5-6 years. I feel ‘entitled’ to expect us to beat most sides at tynecastle.

Robbie has plenty credit in the bank from me but I expect people are concerned the wheels are going to come off like they did for a spell last season. Difference being we were playing quite poor teams in comparison to this season. 

That said, there are folk who didn’t want RN back and have made up their minds on him no matter the results or performances. 

I don't think it's been too bad at the games tbh. A few expected grumbles at subs and back passes. More because we know they're better than that, we've seen it.

This place can be poisonous due to people with agenda's and trolls. And people who take it far too seriously. It's no different to any other message board though.

It would help if newspapers wouldn't cherry pick quotes and use comments from here and other social media sites as a feeling of the entire fanbase.

Ask a general punter outside Tynie with a camera and the comments would be night and day. People are braver online.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

To somehow link booing at Tynecastle and Anti-vax/Trump times (whatever that is) takes some doing. 

The inability for people to deal with different opinions and views is the problem. 

Hey, it was posed as a question not a claim. I'm interested to understand why people are sticking to Robbie hating and booing at matches. Maybe you've got a theory? Otherwise your response contradicts your own point. 

Italian Lambretta
16 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

What is going on here?

Do you think we will still be 10 points clear at the split?

Sub4TiddlerMurray
Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

I don't think it's been too bad at the games tbh. A few expected grumbles at subs and back passes. More because we know they're better than that, we've seen it.

This place can be poisonous due to people with agenda's and trolls. And people who take it far too seriously. It's no different to any other message board though.

It would help if newspapers wouldn't cherry pick quotes and use comments from here and other social media sites as a feeling of the entire fanbase.

Ask a general punter outside Tynie with a camera and the comments would be night and day. People are braver online.

I thought there was a lot of inappropriate booing at the Livingston match at half time and at the end of 90mins.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
Just now, Italian Lambretta said:

I don't see anything at this stage from the chasing pack to suggest that any team will close the gap.

We are the third biggest team in the country who have finished third 3 times in the last 15 years. 

Plenty of mitigating circumstances but those are the cold hard facts.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
10 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Never seen the word hating on this forum. Disappointed yes.

I'm referring to the Robbie-hating

2 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Hey, it was posed as a question not a claim. I'm interested to understand why people are sticking to Robbie hating and booing at matches. Maybe you've got a theory? Otherwise your response contradicts your own point. 

Well I don’t think it has anything to do with Trump. 

Is there much Robbie hating and booing at matches? There was noise after the Dundee match and quite rightly so. 

4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I don't see anything at this stage from the chasing pack to suggest that any team will close the gap.

You can’t take anything for granted. The Dundee second half and most of the rangers game were up there with some of our dreadful performances in the past. Found a way to beat Livingston though which is encouraging. 

3 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I thought there was a lot of inappropriate booing at the Livingston match at half time and at the end of 90mins.

Tbh, when you start with Andy Halliday at left wing and with 2 out and out offensive players at home to Livi, you're inviting that pressure. That might be entitlement talking.

The booing wasn't inappropriate IMO. Several slow starts...a poor team setup...and a lack of any sign of something changing.

Like I say, we've seen it. We know they can be class but they're playing the same system and shouldn't be looking that lost.

Byyy The Light
6 minutes ago, DS98 said:

We are the third biggest team in the country who have finished third 3 times in the last 15 years. 

Plenty of mitigating circumstances but those are the cold hard facts.

Probably not much better ratio going back 50 years.

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

What is going on here?

Some folk are just  tubes. 

Middle aged men are the worst in some regard  to this. 

They are stuck in their ways, hate thier general life - probably don't get out at all anymore but prattle on about the "mental days". 

Hate wumins football, don't believe in global warming, probably moan about passport control but voted for brexit, think trump speaks for the people types. 

Football reminds them of their youth, mates, drinking and trips but 20 years on you cannae slag kaflics anymore, cannae stand- it's just no the same. 

So they vent all their frustration. 

We're not the worse, the of has lots more of these types and  every other club has them. 

In regards to Bob, there is a small group who don't like him that strongly that they just can't enjoy any measure of success we have under him. 

They take enjoyment of us doing poorly as it proves them correct and they get to shout "I told ya so." 

Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Well I don’t think it has anything to do with Trump. 

Is there much Robbie hating and booing at matches? There was noise after the Dundee match and quite rightly so. 

Think you're missing his point re Trump.  He's referring to the state of the world online where everything is so polarised.  You see it on here all the time.  The most extreme view points on either side dominate most discussions.  Majority of people in the middle just back away slowly and go and do something else with their lives rather than get bogged down in the bun fight.

The moderate opinions are drowned out.

11 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

No. At least 12 points.🙂 Just an opinion ofcourse. Could be well out.

11 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I thought that was aimed at Nick Walsh in fairness but I totally agree with the sentiment as if we get behind the management and players this could be a season to remember 👍

3 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Think you're missing his point re Trump.  He's referring to the state of the world online where everything is so polarised.  You see it on here all the time.  The most extreme view points on either side dominate most discussions.  Majority of people in the middle just back away slowly and go and do something else with their lives rather than get bogged down in the bun fight.

:greatpost:

14 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Half time the Referee was getting booed at more.    Some grumbles about Benni pass back during.   Mostly the Referee.   

Full time some fans would be booing at zero goals and the Referee again. 

5 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Trump isn’t responsible for polarised views. The world has always been such it’s just everyone has a platform now. 

The performances against Rangers and Dundee were disappointing and I’m glad that the supporters remind those in charge of this. 

The moderate opinions always get less attention. 

Edited by Des Lynam

7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

They are stuck in their ways, hate thier general life - probably don't get out at all anymore but prattle on about the "mental days". 

Hate wumins football, don't believe in global warming, probably moan about passport control but voted for brexit, think trump speaks for the people types. 

Football reminds them of their youth, mates, drinking and trips but 20 years on you cannae slag kaflics anymore, cannae stand- it's just no the same. 

We're not the worse, the of has lots more of these types and  every other club has them. 

In regards to Bob, there is a small group who don't like him that strongly that they just can't enjoy any measure of success we have under him. 

They take enjoyment of us doing poorly as it proves them correct and they get to shout "I told ya so." 

I’ll agree you get those that don’t accept Neilson but then you also get utter madness like this post. 

Fxxx the SPFL

i think the booing comes out of frustration nothing new here. Christ i remember the seventies one game in particular when we had booed a lot during the game Rangers i think and Drew Busby scored a late consolation goal and when jogging back to the half way line gave a big two fisted get it up you to us punters in the shed.

There’s always been some Hearts supporters booing after a defeat as long as I can remember. I don’t think it’s a modern thing. 

i also think our great first half to the season has rightly raised expectations of everyone ( boo-ers and non-booted ) as we do now expect to beat most teams at Tynecastle and, when that doesn’t happen, some express their disappointment vocally. 

The Wrinkly Ninja
45 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

What is going on here?

Football fans having different opinions from other football fans is nothing new.

The need for some Hearts supporters to have a go at other Hearts fans for voicing their opinion is sad to the point that they have created a false dichotomy to justify it.

My main gripe is how embarrassing we have been in the cups under neilson.  He’s been responsible for some of the most humiliating results in our clubs history, couple that with our results against hibs and its easy to see why a lot of fans think hes shite.  

Yes it’s nice to finish 3rd in the league but it’s pretty pointless when we get papped out by some part time team from nowhere.  I’d easily swap a 3rd place finish for a league cup trophy. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Don't personally boo myself but each to there own ! I'd never criticise any Hearts supporter for doing so after we saved our football club and the money we out into the club as donations every month

The Treasurer
53 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It might be partly because our fans are entitled but we’re the third biggest club in Scotland and that brings expectation and entitlement. Entitlement is used as a dirty word on here but we’ve underachieved for 5-6 years. I feel ‘entitled’ to expect us to beat most sides at tynecastle.

Robbie has plenty credit in the bank from me but I expect people are concerned the wheels are going to come off like they did for a spell last season. Difference being we were playing quite poor teams in comparison to this season. 

That said, there are folk who didn’t want RN back and have made up their minds on him no matter the results or performances. 

Think you're maybe mixing up entitlement with expectation. 

7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The two words are closely linked in the way they are used on here.  I mentioned expectation in the post you quoted. Entitlement can mean different things but I take it to mean, in the sense it is used on here, as having the right to something. Nobody actually has the right to win football games but I feel we, as fans of the third biggest club have the right to expect third and to beat the majority of sides at home. Another way of phrasing it is that we are entitled to expect that.

Just my interpretation.

What really gets my goat is fans calling other fans entitled for expecting us to achieve the levels our finance allows. We aren’t St Mirren or Dundee Utd. 

Edited by GinRummy

The Wrinkly Ninja
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Yep. If you express any expectations on this site you will be labelled as entitled however.

One of the many insults banded about by the CL Anon group of revisionists and trolls that follow every thread.

38 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Well if you happen to be a pessimist and are lucky enough to also be a Hearts supporter that's great because they'll always give you something to moan about. Of course there will always be some bumps in the road like when they win trophies but don't worry, that awkward feeling will soon pass and you will again be just one game away from your next tantrum.

It’s hardly a new phenomenon, every season before social media, trump and vax there was always at least one player that was singled out, managers have had it, owners run out of town it’s just part of the game. Most of the pish and wind written on here isn’t a factor at the games. I often think those most vocal on here don’t go to the games as this is there platform to vent whereas you can do most of it before during and after a game.

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

It’s hardly a new phenomenon, every season before social media, trump and vax there was always at least one player that was singled out, managers have had it, owners run out of town it’s just part of the game. Most of the pish and wind written on here isn’t a factor at the games. I often think those most vocal on here don’t go to the games as this is there platform to vent whereas you can do most of it before during and after a game.

I think some who for one reason or another can't get to the games use these threads to at least get involved in the general discussion and banter. Surely marginally better than doing the dishes.

Booing has always been present at Tynecastle in my many years of following.It also happens at away games and rightly so over the last 10 years or so when many,many performances have been a disgrace.

There has been very little booing this season as performances have generally improved on last season.They were lucky we were all excluded as they certainly would have got it both barrels at Brora and QOS games.

I personally think Robbie is improving as a manager and as long as that happens ,along with improvements to the squad, then next season should be an improvement again.

I do think though that he and his assistants should be continually monitored by the hierarchy and if any of them aren't cutting it they should be gone.

We were mostly all on board when Murray and Arnott moved on so let's hope the replacements are a step forward.

I also hope Robbie doesn't hold on to his assistants if they can be improved on.If Naismith is doing well he needs a pathway to the first team or he will be away.With his mentality and drive I think that would be a mistake as it might be hard to get him back in the future. 

56 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i think the booing comes out of frustration nothing new here. Christ i remember the seventies one game in particular when we had booed a lot during the game Rangers i think and Drew Busby scored a late consolation goal and when jogging back to the half way line gave a big two fisted get it up you to us punters in the shed.

Even better one was v Clydebank I think.  0-0. Lots of booing. Cammy Fraser scored a hat trick to make it 3-0,gave the fans the Vs,Clydebank promptly scored 3 to get a draw. My memory might be playing tricks on me so would be good if anyone else remembers this.

Niemi’s gloves
17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The two words are closely linked in the way they are used on here.  I mentioned expectation in the post you quoted. Entitlement can mean different things but I take it to mean, in the sense it is used on here, as having the right to something. Nobody actually has the right to win football games but I feel we, as fans of the third biggest club have the right to expect third and to beat the majority of sides at home. Another way of phrasing it is that we are entitled to expect that.

Just my interpretation.

What really gets my goat is fans calling other fans entitled for expecting us to achieve the levels our finance allows. We aren’t St Mirren or Dundee Utd. 

I think you are glossing over two points in your ‘third biggest means we should expect to finish third” view. Firstly, we are not third biggest by a significant margin - indeed fans of a couple of other clubs may argue that we are not third biggest at all. Second, there is a huge margin between us and the OF.

The reality is that for the time being, there is minimal chance of finishing better than third while there is a substantial chance of finishing lower than third. There is no real prospect that finishing fourth or fifth one year can be balanced by finishing first or second the following year. Of course, given good management and running of the club at every level, over a sustained period, that may eventually change. But for now “expecting” to come third is setting yourself up for disappointment.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

There’s always been some Hearts supporters booing after a defeat as long as I can remember. I don’t think it’s a modern thing. 

i also think our great first half to the season has rightly raised expectations of everyone ( boo-ers and non-booted ) as we do now expect to beat most teams at Tynecastle and, when that doesn’t happen, some express their disappointment vocally. 

Yea, I remember reading through some old programmes and in the manager's editorial there was a plea to the fans to stop booing the players as it was affecting performances !

Programme was from 1971 !

1 minute ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I think you are glossing over two points in your ‘third biggest means we should expect to finish third” view. Firstly, we are not third biggest by a significant margin - indeed fans of a couple of other clubs may argue that we are not third biggest at all. Second, there is a huge margin between us and the OF.

The reality is that for the time being, there is minimal chance of finishing better than third while there is a substantial chance of finishing lower than third. There is no real prospect that finishing fourth or fifth one year can be balanced by finishing first or second the following year. Of course, given good management and running of the club at every level, over a sustained period, that may eventually change. But for now “expecting” to come third is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I don’t expect 4th or 5th one season and then 1st and 2nd in other years but I get your point. I wouldn’t mind the occasional 4th place but that’s not what we’ve been doing for the last 5 seasons. 

13th, 12th,(unfairly cut short obviously), 6th, 6th, 5th are our placings in the last 5 seasons. I appreciate the gap between 2nd and 3rd is far greater than 3rd or 4th but I expect us to to be 3rd. If that’s entitlement or setting myself up for disappointment then fair enough but it’s where I believe we should be every season.  

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

🤣🤣🤣 I genuinely look forward to your slavering rants. Keep it up lad 👍🏻

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Never seen the word hating on this forum. Disappointed yes.

The laughable thing is if people don’t rate Neilson they’re haters.

Which is absolute cobblers.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

The laughable thing is if people don’t rate Neilson they’re haters.

Which is absolute cobblers.

Haters, happy clappers etc… we all have badges to carry. 

1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

I think some who for one reason or another can't get to the games use these threads to at least get involved in the general discussion and banter. Surely marginally better than doing the dishes.

It wasn’t a criticism just I know normally after a pint and a pub post-mortem it’s done and any rage has gone and normally by the Monday you see it a bit different.

The only real boo's I've heard were towards Souttar v St Johnstone. Left before FT v Dundee so didn't hear if there was any but I can understand if there was. I guess folk will never take to Neilson as it is boring to watch 90% of the time. Im not in the Neilson out camp, we are in our best position in years, but going to the games is a bit "meh". The pub tends to be the best part of the day.