Rugby Union

Maroon Sailor

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

How can I put this then…I’m fond of a few don revies from time to time and tend to post even more pish than usual 😂:fonzie:

It’s Revie, not Revie

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

• Victorian

9 hours ago, redjambo said:

Ah, gotcha. :D You don't need to be on the bevvy to enjoy an underdog victory though. Your original post was spot on - it was great to see the joy of the Italians after beating Wales.

Steam boats.

16 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I get what you're saying, but I doubt that either defeat will bother the All Blacks too much by the time the World Cup comes around.

More often than not the All Blacks bottle it at the World Cup. 

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Well they’ve won 3 of the 9 held so they’ve done not too bad. 

On 21/03/2022 at 02:12, ri Alban said:

They did what they had to do against the pish of Europe and pumped NZ not long ago. 

On 21/03/2022 at 02:16, ri Alban said:

Why does it not matter to NZ, but does to France. I'm sure they'll be even better by next September. And let's see how NZ cope with the French welcome.

All of the above will depend on whether Putin nukes the place or not.

"Did what they had to do" is a cliché.  Ireland almost beat France, and Ireland aren't anywhere near good enough to make a serious impact on the next World Cup tournament.

"I'm sure they'll be even better by next..." is meaningless.  The history of rugby union is littered with examples of teams getting sensational and special wins over the All Blacks - at times when it doesn't really matter.  Yaaay for France beating New Zealand in Paris for the first time since whenever - but if you think for a nanosecond that New Zealand won't be a lot better when they have to play an actual tournament game in a World Cup then you really don't know how it works.

If anyone in Europe can beat the All Blacks in a World Cup tournament game it's France.  But they probably won't in 2023.  I can't actually say you can take that to the banks, but if I were betting that's how I'd bet.

8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Name all the teams who have a positive win-loss record against the All Blacks in the World Cup.

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

If anyone in Europe can beat the All Blacks in a World Cup tournament game it's France.  But they probably won't in 2023.  I can't actually say you can take that to the banks, but if I were betting that's how I'd bet.

England 2019 for recent times.

New Zealand would be favourites but England and Jones probably have that marginally more self confidence or less nagging doubts than France and Ireland.

Edited by DETTY29

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Name all the teams who have a positive win-loss record against the All Blacks in the World Cup.

So what do you make of these results being final games in each World Cup?  What do New Zealand make of these results? Are they happy with winning 3 out 9? Do they still celebrate their performances in 1995 and 1999? Do they talk about their clear dominance over France in the tournament?

1987 - New Zealand 29 France 9

1991 - Australia 16 New Zealand 6

1995 - South Africa 15 New Zealand 12

1999 - New Zealand 31 France 43

2003 - New Zealand 10 Australia 22

2007 - New Zealand 18 France 20

2011 - France 7 New Zealand 8

2015 - New Zealand 34 Australia 17

2019 - England 19 New Zealand 7

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to see a Facebook announcement from The British Lions confirming the great Scotland and Lions prop Tom Smith has succumbed to the cancer he’d been fighting for so long. Fantastic player and one of the players that changed the mould of props lumbering around waiting for scrums as they couldn’t do much else. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Sad to see a Facebook announcement from The British Lions confirming the great Scotland and Lions prop Tom Smith has succumbed to the cancer he’d been fighting for so long. Fantastic player and one of the players that changed the mould of props lumbering around waiting for scrums as they couldn’t do much else. 

Really sad news.

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

That's dreadful news. He was a great player.