Rugby Union

Maroon Sailor

33 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's so hard to follow at times, very difficult for anyone and near impossible for people new to it.

Certain referees help when you can hear their decisions - no so good in a noisy pub though

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

• Victorian

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It wasn't pretty but will take a win every time. 

How many times have Scotland been the better team but not managed to win ?

Kind of believe in this squad to deliver now - but we've been there before !

I agree. Nice to do it the ugly way for once! Think Ireland may win or France if they play like France 🤣

Dusk_Till_Dawn
16 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'm seeing on Twitter that Brian Moore has just covered his last Calcutta Cup match, sadly. Decent bloke and bluntly honest.

That’s a great tweet :lol:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I was indeed. But I do hope he is commentating in the future.

He’ll be commenting on the women’s internationals from now on apparently.  

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He’ll be commenting on the women’s internationals from now on apparently.  

I heard that. Hopefully ITV or whomever employ him. Is that balloon Inverdale still on the telly?

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

It's so hard to follow at times, very difficult for anyone and near impossible for people new to it.

I think it was a really good feature to have Nigel Owen yesterday commenting on decisions. He explained a couple of times how there were cases for decisions going either way. 

It is a problem rugby has. Like football now not helped by players manipulating for an advantage. 

Yesterday the late scrums were classic. Nearly always the wheeled scrum a penalty but actually it's not that simple. 

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think it was a really good feature to have Nigel Owen yesterday commenting on decisions. He explained a couple of times how there were cases for decisions going either way. 

It is a problem rugby has. Like football now not helped by players manipulating for an advantage. 

Yesterday the late scrums were classic. Nearly always the wheeled scrum a penalty but actually it's not that simple. 

I wouldn't mind referees managing the scrums like that final set of scrums yesterday, i.e. only calling a penalty if there is a blatant transgression. Ok, we might have a few resets for each scrum, but I'd rather have that than a dodgy penalty decision probably "encouraged" by opposition shenanigans in the scrum anyway.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I wouldn't mind referees managing the scrums like that final set of scrums yesterday, i.e. only calling a penalty if there is a blatant transgression. Ok, we might have a few resets for each scrum, but I'd rather have that than a dodgy penalty decision probably "encouraged" by opposition shenanigans in the scrum anyway.

I think part of the thinking it is play continues quickly. A good example is giving free kicks at scrums. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

I think part of the thinking it is play continues quickly. A good example is giving free kicks at scrums. 

Yup, appreciated, but scrum-related decisions can be very marginal and odd at times. I personally would rather that they were done properly (only awarding penalties for significant transgressions), or got rid of altogether. I do admit that I am a bit out on a limb with this one though.

Just now, redjambo said:

Yup, appreciated, but scrum-related decisions can be very marginal and odd at times. I personally would rather that they were done properly (only awarding penalties for significant transgressions), or got rid of altogether. I do admit that I am a bit out on a limb with this one though.

There might be more of that now after the England scrums. The refs will be wanting to be consistent. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

There might be more of that now after the England scrums. The refs will be wanting to be consistent. 

It was a wee bit ironic that O'Keeffe almost wanted to be seen to be "doing it right" (my words) and in a fair manner with his decisions to reset at the end, rather than overly influencing the game with a marginal decision, when that way of doing things should in fact pertain to the entire game. It almost begged the question if that he was "doing it right" at that point, what was he, and of course every other referee ever, doing for scrum-related decisions for the rest of the game? It was very refreshing to see, and I hope that it does influence policy in some way.

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Suspect he was on the line there but the best camera shots couldn't show it.  A better shot might have.

Commentaors saying on-field decison was try and no conclusive TV pic it wasn't legal.

I thought the view from behind was good enough. 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Commentaors saying on-field decison was try and no conclusive TV pic it wasn't legal.

I thought the view from behind was good enough. 

Literally an inch in it either way.  I reckon he must have touched the line before it was grounded.  But the ref is right to call it a try on-field.  Italy possibly benefitted from the camera shot being less than ideal.

Noticed the French have pinched the “no band in the final verse” national anthem routine from Murrayfield. Fair enough though, I’m no huge fan of Flower Of Scotland but that can be proper hairs on the back of the neck when it’s being belted out. 

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It was a wee bit ironic that O'Keeffe almost wanted to be seen to be "doing it right" (my words) and in a fair manner with his decisions to reset at the end, rather than overly influencing the game with a marginal decision, when that way of doing things should in fact pertain to the entire game. It almost begged the question if that he was "doing it right" at that point, what was he, and of course every other referee ever, doing for scrum-related decisions for the rest of the game? It was very refreshing to see, and I hope that it does influence policy in some way.

The World Cup Scotland v Australia is influential. Scotland being robbed that day had quite an effect on refereeing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/19/craig-joubert-mistake-penalty-australia-scotland-world-cup

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The World Cup Scotland v Australia is influential. Scotland being robbed that day had quite an effect on refereeing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/19/craig-joubert-mistake-penalty-australia-scotland-world-cup

Thanks for the memories. :( :D

Enjoy the Ibrox game!

manaliveits105
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

FS usual suspects destroying another thread with the same pish

Give it a rest - beyond tedious for the majority who just want to talk about the sport

Correct the nationalist cult ruin every thread these days then insult non believers 

manaliveits105
5 hours ago, redjambo said:

I think you're misdirecting your ire, Maroon Sailor. Roxy didn't put this particular ball into the scrum.

Correct he didn’t introduce the Sturgeon or anti Tory guff first 

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

While often many refs are ex players I believe few are/were forwards so aren’t always familiar with the black arts 

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Correct he didn’t introduce the Sturgeon or anti Tory guff first 

Whether you like her or not, Sturgeon is our First Minister. Posting a photo of her swigging from the Calcutta Cup, albeit an old photo, after a win over England is only "political" if you have a very unhealthy approach to life. Pavlov's dogs would no doubt bow in admiration to the automatic fervour of your anti-nationalist responses on here, even to the extent of actually creating nationalist issues where they don't exist just so that you can excitedly whack out one of your drooling retorts. 🙄

21 minutes ago, Hesh said:

While often many refs are ex players I believe few are/were forwards so aren’t always familiar with the black arts 

Indeed. :)

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Whether you like her or not, Sturgeon is our First Minister. Posting a photo of her swigging from the Calcutta Cup, albeit an old photo, after a win over England is only "political" if you have a very unhealthy approach to life. Pavlov's dogs would no doubt bow in admiration to the automatic fervour of your anti-nationalist responses on here, even to the extent of actually creating nationalist issues where they don't exist just so that you can excitedly whack out one of your drooling retorts. 🙄

Funnily enough, I lifted the pic of Twitter and some of the repsonses from the anti-nats was as predictable as what's happened on here.

Anyways, back to rugby : the analysis on Rugby Special from John Barclay was very interesting. 

Some fascinating  replays of just what makes Finn Russell such a great player. 

manaliveits105
47 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Your opinion of course - which counts very little to me and also failed to mention the anti Tory post as well as wading in with the usual insults - the nationalist go to . 

6 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Your opinion of course - which counts very little to me and also failed to mention the anti Tory post as well as wading in with the usual insults - the nationalist go to . 

There's plenty other threads for this pish. Any chance you can leave this one to be about Rugby? Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There's plenty other threads for this pish. Any chance you can leave this one to be about Rugby? Cheers.

Don’t be silly 😀 every single thread is fair game to the handful of extremists on both sides. 

12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Don’t be silly 😀 every single thread is fair game to the handful of extremists on both sides. 

Isn't the shed for politics,with occasional distraction?

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Isn't the shed for politics,with occasional distraction?

If that's the case then I'm out

manaliveits105
38 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Address this to those who took the thread off course in the first place .

The White Cockade
10 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

True but then they were absolutely gash for years on end. And when I say years, I mean decades. 

WIth the advent of indy I think a lot felt the atmosphere was a bit too jingoistic & hostile and Murrayfield's  popularity dipped . Having said that I know loads of guys who went year after year and have only stopped due to old age but it's still a popular trip amomngst the rugby types in my locale. 

Too jingoistic and hostile?

You having a laugh?

10 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

True but then they were absolutely gash for years on end. And when I say years, I mean decades. 

WIth the advent of indy I think a lot felt the atmosphere was a bit too jingoistic & hostile and Murrayfield's  popularity dipped . Having said that I know loads of guys who went year after year and have only stopped due to old age but it's still a popular trip amomngst the rugby types in my locale. 

We for years have got tickets for friends at a club down south, they’ve always taken as many as we could supply 

The White Cockade

Big game for us in Cardiff

Chance to show if we have really turned the corner and are real challengers

Our away record suggests it could go either way and they will come out fighting 

Problem with being a Scotland supporter is the same one as being a Hearts fan

Our worst results usually happen when we are doing well and confident of a good result 

Hoping for a win but think it will  be very close and can’t predict a winner

31 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Scotland emulating South Africa with the front row rotation.

Scotland emulating South Africa by having lots of South Africans in their front row