Us versus second place on Sunday...

Section Q

Ford Prentice

Just listened to Ryan McGowan on SATF. He was adamant Hearts have to go for it from the off and rattle them.

I'm normally one for caution in these games but he had me convinced.

Rangers are on a poor run and lacking confidence in themselves and probably in their manager - let's win this one.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• davemclaren

• Debut 4

I rarely criticise Neilson but he really needs to look at his tactics against the OF.  Needs to up the pace and get in their faces from KO.  I am getting very frustrated with the try to keep the game scoreless until HT and then open up.  Need to have more confidence in ourselves.

Takeshi kovac

I don't think we need to do an awful lot different in the first half other than getting the defence further up the pitch to squeeze the midfield.  We can close them down easier and we have more pace at the back with Natty and Sibbick to cover balls over the top

Takeshi kovac

Wish Halkett was back for this though as we defo missed his aggression . We did look a bit suspect from corners without him

1 hour ago, Ford Prentice said:

Just listened to Ryan McGowan on SATF. He was adamant Hearts have to go for it from the off and rattle them.

Rangers are on a poor run and lacking confidence in themselves and probably in their manager - let's win this one.

The hun supporters on my site saying the same thing as Ryan.

2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

I rarely criticise Neilson but he really needs to look at his tactics against the OF.  Needs to up the pace and get in their faces from KO.  I am getting very frustrated with the try to keep the game scoreless until HT and then open up.  Need to have more confidence in ourselves.

Agreed, no one is suggesting a gung ho approach. But the sitting deep and waiting for the inevitable rarely works. No team likes being pressed (especially us) but we need to start with the right mentality that we get right in their faces from the kick off. In fact outside the Old Firm this a worrying aspect to all our games also. As much as I detest Levein, in his first spell, he talked about winning the battle before the game. That should be our approach to all our games imo.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Wish Halkett was back for this though as we defo missed his aggression . We did look a bit suspect from corners without him

I totally agree, we looked really vulnerable at any cross balls against the wee team, it was giving me the fear in the first half, we definitely need either Halkett our Souttar in there on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Takeshi kovac said:

I don't think we need to do an awful lot different in the first half other than getting the defence further up the pitch to squeeze the midfield.  We can close them down easier and we have more pace at the back with Natty and Sibbick to cover balls over the top

Agree.  Seeing Boyce patrolling the halfway circle is just a total waste of his talent.

19 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

That's a strong lineup.  We need every one of them to be right on their game.

If they were all that great they would have taken more than 1 point from their last 2 games.

They will be desperate and we need to be confident and right up for the battle.

If we score first I think we will win.

Yeah, this is my feeling also 👍

22 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

Hearing there's discord in the Rangers dressing room about money. Hagi allegedly earning much more than anyone else.

More than the new boy? 

ScandinavianJambo
13 hours ago, Takeshi kovac said:

This! I'm not too confident with last week's backline...I will not be able to watch this one live, but will tune in to JK to keep me updated.....

Bazzas right boot

If the roles were reversed I'd want Hearts to come at us so it was an open game. 

I'd be confident of putting a few past them early and getting the fans back on side. 

We can't and won't open up and let the likes of Kent and Aribo lots of space and leave them 1 on 1.

It would be ridiculous. 

We should sit in and counter, the best thing for us and worse thing for them ( realistically) would be for us to be 0-0 after 20 with thier fans turning on them. 

This opening up would be like Ross County or the likes coming to Tynecastle and going for it, we'd like that as it would benefit us. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
20 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

Agreed, no one is suggesting a gung ho approach. But the sitting deep and waiting for the inevitable rarely works. No team likes being pressed (especially us) but we need to start with the right mentality that we get right in their faces from the kick off. In fact outside the Old Firm this a worrying aspect to all our games also. As much as I detest Levein, in his first spell, he talked about winning the battle before the game. That should be our approach to all our games imo.

Tbh, no one is suggesting gung ho or waiting until the inevitable happens  as you put it. 

I doubt Bob will have they tactics either. 

Talking about winning the battle and doing it are two different things. 

Do you think rangers and other teams also don't talk about winning their battles and have that approach? 

It's that pesky other team that way too many forget about on here. 

Folk think believing, pressing and going at it are enough, unfortunately the other team can do that as well. 

I doubt many managers go out with the approach to lose battles either. 

I get Robbie does the tactics, but the players need to look at themselves for being up and ready from the off. I feel they have really let us down first halves as they turn the tempo down. Against tic, first 10 mins we were on it. Then stopped. When you watch them come out for the game they’re flat - that’s an issue. 

Bazzas right boot
49 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I get Robbie does the tactics, but the players need to look at themselves for being up and ready from the off. I feel they have really let us down first halves as they turn the tempo down. Against tic, first 10 mins we were on it. Then stopped. When you watch them come out for the game they’re flat - that’s an issue. 

Nothing to do with Celtic? 

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Nothing to do with Celtic? 

They were a bit lost and we really messed up by letting them back in so early. Missed opportunity for us.

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

They were a bit lost and we really messed up by letting them back in so early. Missed opportunity for us.

Lost you, no idea what that means? 

Celtuc were a bit lost? 

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If the roles were reversed I'd want Hearts to come at us so it was an open game. 

I'd be confident of putting a few past them early and getting the fans back on side. 

We can't and won't open up and let the likes of Kent and Aribo lots of space and leave them 1 on 1.

It would be ridiculous. 

We should sit in and counter, the best thing for us and worse thing for them ( realistically) would be for us to be 0-0 after 20 with thier fans turning on them. 

This opening up would be like Ross County or the likes coming to Tynecastle and going for it, we'd like that as it would benefit us. 

I've no idea why people can't see this, thankfully our manager does and it's why we've not had our ritual 4 or 5 goal humpings from them, a wee bit more luck and we'd have taken more from them than we have.

Edited by graygo

The difference between us and the old firm this year in the head to heads has been finishing, they've took their chances we haven't. We've competed well in every game we have played and arguably could of taken something from every game had we taken our chances, barring maybe the league cup where we were battered. 

Edited by EH11 2NL

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've no idea why people can't see this, thankfully our manager does and it's why we've not had our ritual 4 or 5 humpings from them, a wee bit more luck and we'd have taken more from them than we have.

Folk habitually ignore the other team on here. 

If we believe, if we press, if we go for it, if we put their defence under pressure, win our battles - blah blah. 

Problem is the pesky other team-they also want to do that. 

Some Folk expect us to compete at Ibrox because we believe, try hard, and press but would go ape shit if Motherwell or St Mirren rocked up at Tynecastle and won using the same imaginery tonic  they think we should use on the OF. 

It's a massive gap in many posters appraisal of most games. 

We should beat x teams because we are better, have better players and more budget and if we drop points it's abject failure. 

Then v the OF they  flip it, budgets don't matter, it's all about mentality, we need to believe, we should attack and press - do that and we should win and if we get battered it will be Bobs fault. 

Cake and eat it springs to mind. 

The logic and  the flip flopping from many is flawed. 

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If we believe, if we press, if we go for it, if we put their defence under pressure, win our battles - blah blah. 

Some Folk expect us to compete at Ibrox because we believe, try hard, and press but would go ape shit if Motherwell or St Mirren rocked up at Tynecastle and won using the same imaginery tonic  they think we should use on the OF. 

We should beat x teams because we are better, have better players and more budget and if we drop points it's abject failure. 

Then v the OF they  flip it, budgets don't matter, it's all about mentality, we need to believe, we should attack and press - do that and we should win and if we get battered it will be Bobs fault. 

Not a popular view on here but spot on 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Do we tell Rangers about this attacking plan and ask them just to give us the ball from kick off?

😁😁

They'll freeze and all collapse at the shock of it. 

They'll just give up. 

They'll be 3-0 down before they can re group and organise themselves .

Tavenier will poop his pants, Morelos just walk off and give up while Kent tucks up in a ball and rocks from side to side. 

McGregor will jump in with the rangers fans to hide. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not a popular view on here but spot on 

It's stops any reasonable debate with many. 

They just ignore the other team completely 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

What else you going to do then?  Have Hearts got a chance or not?  Everyone knows the budget thing, it’s been like this for decades now.

Each game you take in isolation. If Hearts get beaten at home off Motherwell or St Mirren, does that mean we just concede before going to Ibrox or Parkhead?  

The people that bang on about the budgets are the ones who seem to toil to be positive.  Hearts record is chronic in Glasgow and I doubt any Hearts fan would deny that.  But we need to keep fighting with the tools we have. Now and again some employees join Hearts who bring a positivity.  They believe in themselves and the club and don’t care about the big bad boys. It’s rare, granted, but we have a SPD in charge who sees the long game. 

When does the long game start?  It’s started already. But it starts with turning the attitude and will to win in the right direction. We probably don’t have the players just now to take a swagger to Ibrox but the fans want to see the team is moving in the right direction through performances. A 1-1 draw already, the next step should be to try and nick a win.

Plenty on here want to bum up Boyce, Mackay and get upset when these players get criticised because they are hailed as excellent players, but at the same time say we can’t expect much in Glasgow?  These guys are the very ones who need to give us more in these matches if we are to take the right steps and realise our ambitions.  Not give them the excuse that the fans don’t expect anything anyway.  

Ford Prentice
12 hours ago, schillaci said:

More than the new boy? 

Story I heard was discussion of Ramsay's supposed wages led to some information swapping in the dressing room and some players "surprised" to discover Hagi the top earner (excluding Ramsay of course). Now not happy at all. May be nonsense but got story from a Rangers supporter who says it's widespread gossip through in the west.

Edited by Ford Prentice

On 04/02/2022 at 09:08, Ford Prentice said:

How many times have we said this!

How many times do we roll over without laying a glove on them!

Come on Hearts prove me wrong FFS!

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

What else you going to do then?  Have Hearts got a chance or not?  Everyone knows the budget thing, it’s been like this for decades now.

Each game you take in isolation. If Hearts get beaten at home off Motherwell or St Mirren, does that mean we just concede before going to Ibrox or Parkhead?  

The people that bang on about the budgets are the ones who seem to toil to be positive.  Hearts record is chronic in Glasgow and I doubt any Hearts fan would deny that.  But we need to keep fighting with the tools we have. Now and again some employees join Hearts who bring a positivity.  They believe in themselves and the club and don’t care about the big bad boys. It’s rare, granted, but we have a SPD in charge who sees the long game. 

When does the long game start?  It’s started already. But it starts with turning the attitude and will to win in the right direction. We probably don’t have the players just now to take a swagger to Ibrox but the fans want to see the team is moving in the right direction through performances. A 1-1 draw already, the next step should be to try and nick a win.

Plenty on here want to bum up Boyce, Mackay and get upset when these players get criticised because they are hailed as excellent players, but at the same time say we can’t expect much in Glasgow?  These guys are the very ones who need to give us more in these matches if we are to take the right steps and realise our ambitions.  Not give them the excuse that the fans don’t expect anything anyway.  

I would like us to win, I think we could win but if we get beat I'll completely understand why and I will  not have a jkb meltdown, throw my toys out the pram and slag the mgt team and players. 

Nothing I have Seen suggests we have the wrong attitude v the of, it's just a lazy way to  Slag players imo. 

Boyce and McKay by most standards are not as good as their OF equivalents, what these players can do is get consistent results v the rest and makes us competitive v the OF. 

To expect theses types to be able to be better than the OF players  over a season is just nonsense. 

This "believe" stuff has limited legs, the Rangers players can believe as can players and mgt from Aberdeen and Hibs, if they all do that whatever advantage folk think Hearts can gain  is lost. 

The long and short is that better, more expensive players as well as generally being faster, stronger, fitter and better are also mentally stronger. 

Once folk acknowledge that, a little bit of context can be realised in the task that teams have v the of. 

We will do well to finish third and do that consistantly. That is the first challenge. 

4 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Exactly.  And it's been an issue for most of our games.  At times in every first half it seems as if the players have never seen each other let alone played together.

StevenNaismith
On 03/02/2022 at 00:25, StevenNaismith said:

Be an easy 2-0/3-0 victory. For Rangers. 

When you continue to pick the same players who cause you the same problems positionally & defensively then this is what you get.