Us versus second place on Sunday...

Section Q

AlphonseCapone
23 minutes ago, martoon said:

Tbf, I think @Ccjambo1874meant Devlin or McEneff.

Mind you, AC, 12 Hearts players on the pitch would even up the teams. 

😬

Aye I was just at a wee bit of a wind

up 😃

🤣 You make a very valid point though. 

Fwiw, @Ccjambo1874it agree with your proposed set-up for Sunday. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Rudy T

• bobby bombscare

Simms to score, IF we can have two forwards, please!  

Morelos to score,  1-1 draw, 

Rangers drop two points at home.

Their McGregor has started to be a bit nervous handling over the last few weeks. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

I'm surprised Auchinleck never copied Celtic's template against us.

Their manager clearly bottled it🤣

Aye. 

****ing mental train of thought shown by some. 

Off the scale clueless Tbh. 

It's a good laugh tho. 

Disser Pointon
27 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

All the officials for Sunday.

Screenshot_20220203-121022_Samsung Internet.jpg

Actually one of the better ref's now.......................which says it all really.

12 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aye. 

****ing mental train of thought shown by some. 

Off the scale clueless Tbh. 

It's a good laugh tho. 

It is funny. 

Until they start screaming for the manager's head if we lose. 

Feck all this negative pish! We've given septic 3 better games/performances in the league, than sevco gave them last night! I would, however, go with 3 in midfield -

GORDON

SIBBICK   SOUTTAR   KINGSLEY 
  NATTY                                                 COCHRANE  

HARING     BENI    CAMMY

MACKAY   SIMMS

FTOF FTH FTSPFL

Sevco will be desperate to get a result, and we will obligingly cough one up.

Multiple factors at play. They have better players than we do because they spend silly money on them. The game’s in Glasgow, where we rarely if ever perform. The ref will give us absolutely nothing. And Robbie will give them far too much respect, we’ll set up to contain them, and only start playing in the second half when we’ll be a couple of goals down.

15 hours ago, Gambo said:

Careful.......they have bigger budgets than we do.😄

Should've spent it on a decent defender....😁

Think Sunday might be the time to try out a 3 man midfield. Nothing to lose really.

3-5-2

Gordon

Sibbick

Souttar 

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni

Haring

Devlin

Atkinson

Boyce/McKay

Simms

Sevco will come out flying. I’m probably expecting what Hibs fans were expecting on Tuesday.  Hopefully I’ll be as pleasantly surprised as they were with the result.

Willie Collum being the referee doesn't annoy me as much as it would have 5 years ago.  Sad to say, he's one of the better ones these days.

Andrew Dallas as 4th Official means you can absolutely guarantee Robbie Neilson gets sent to the stands and a touchline ban for daring to question some of the decisions in the Derby.

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Feck all this negative pish! We've given septic 3 better games/performances in the league, than sevco gave them last night! I would, however, go with 3 in midfield -

GORDON

HARING     BENI    CAMMY

MACKAY   SIMMS

FTOF FTH FTSPFL

I'd swap Souttar and Sibbick over.

Let Souttar step up with his passing and Sibbick to use his pace for cover.

Edited by DETTY29

4 hours ago, sadj said:

Really like the look of him , hes imo what weve been missing. I think if wed had him rather than Gnando first half of the season we’d be a good 6/7 points better off at worst. Bit of luck he could have had a derby debut up there with De Vries on Tuesday.

I like Boyce dropping deeper with Simms in front and McKay although I do think McKay was unable to get on the ball and do much Tuesday. Sunday that set up could work.

Kent was poor again last night but always seems to get too much respect and time against us. Celtic hunted in packs last night (everytime Kent , Kamara or Aribo got the ball there was two or three on them) and it showed as they were done by 60mins again. Difference is they have the clinical edge no other team up here does so using the Celtic template as some have suggested is just lunacy. 

Yup, agree, especially your second paragraph, I think McKay will have a bit of a point to prove on Sunday, well, I really hope he does.😬

Unfortunately I can't see anything else but a defeat.

They'll be absolutely desperate to get the fans back onside again.

Would really love to see us get something from the game.

bobby bombscare
37 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Agree with this, IMO, Sibbick was more at home in the centre of a 3 than Souttar was against Motherwell. Souttar likes the right position and it's where he has played his best football so let him play there!

bobby bombscare
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Think Sunday might be the time to try out a 3 man midfield. Nothing to lose really.

3-5-2

Gordon

Sibbick

Souttar 

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni

Haring

Devlin

Atkinson

Boyce/McKay

Simms

Wouldn't be apposed to a 3 man midfield but I don't think 3 defensive minded players are the solution. I would be happy with McEneff and any 2 of the other 3 though. 

47 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

👍 yeah, that's fair enough. It's probably where Souttar's best actually.

5 hours ago, Archie White said:

After last night's game they will be so up for this game against us it's untrue. We are on a free hit and never going to get near them for 2nd so let's just have a go at them at Ibrox for a change instead of sitting in and hoping for something to happen up front. We have nothing to lose. They have everything to lose. A quickfire start and it won't be long for their fans to turn. Grow Ibrox balls for a change Robbie and get at them from the off.

Agreed. And Robbie, tell them that their players are miles better and that you don't expect that we're good enough to win , after all they are Rangers and at home. If I'm in the dressing room listening to that I'd be straining at the leash to prove how wrong he is.

bobby bombscare

Also, the mentality on here is dire... 

We have already went toe to toe with them at Ibrox and came away with a 1-1 draw. We are going into it in good form and being met with a team that is in dire form. Ross county scored 3 into them but we're not able to score 1 into them. I think it's funny how we always have high hoped about Celtic but suddenly a rangers side that got pumped 3-0 by a Celtic side we almost beat will be too much for us?!?!?! 

I'm not saying we'll be challenging for the league title bit give the boys a chance, eh? 

Just now, Chillidigits said:

Agreed. And Robbie, tell them that their players are miles better and that you don't expect that we're good enough to win , after all they are Rangers and at home. If I'm in the dressing room listening to that I'd be straining at the leash to prove how wrong he is.

I thought he told them that anyway? 😄

Voice of reason

So all we need to do at Ibrox to win is attack from the start? Why has no other team thought of this? We could start super-attacking and be three nil down after 20 minutes - the benefit is that this would take away the fear of losing a goal later in the game whilst also avoiding their fans turning on their own team. Rangers could then sit back pick us off on the break in the second half and win by 6. 🤗

That’s obviously an extreme outcome but not beyond possibility. Let’s just play our usual game and see where it takes us. We shouldn’t be afraid but just be sensible. Be interesting to see the crowd reaction if we do score first.

Even if we do start trying to attack, Rangers will also come out to attack. If they do this better than us then we will end up defending. The other team have a say in where the game is played. I know this attack at all cost is driven by an anti-Neilson agenda - I wish we could just all pull together for once. It seems too much to ask even when we are doing well.

Forget history, forget the officials, forget it’s at Ibrox and look at the two teams:

Rangers will be something like

McGregor

Tavineir Goldson Bassy Balgoun

Arfield Jack Aribo

Sakala Morelos Kent

versus our team, which part of our team is so much stronger than that Rangers 11 that makes people think all out attack is the simple way to beat that team?

They need to be off their game and we need to be 100% on ours. I’m not suggesting we can’t go and get a result but not if we over commit and leave gaps all over the pitch. 

The natives will be very restless so for me keeping our shape standing up to them and retaining possession will turn the crowd, if that happens we then need to punish the inevitable mistakes from them. 

Kells_On_Jackson

Tbh, all I want to see is us not playing  timidly for 45 mins, lose a goal, then realize that we can actually play football too and spend the next 45 chasing.

They are going to come out all guns blazing. We've got to be ready to withstand that without sitting too deep. 

I would play a back 4 to allow us to play all three CMs and try to get some control of the midfield.

Given they will have a lot of the ball I am going for a counter attacking forward line with maximum pace. To be fair Boyce is probably best at holding the ball up so could give him and Simms a half each.

Ginnelly is frustrating because you never know which version will turn up. But I would pick up for his ability to run in behind their defence.

I am assuming Smith and Halkett are injured and Souttar will be fit.

Gordon

Atkinson Souttar Sibbick Kingsley

Ginnelly Beni Haring Devlin MacKay

Simms 

Unfortunately it'll be normal service at I broke @ the weekend. 

We won't lay a glove on them but I am open to be proved wrong. 

40 years following The Famous and dittly squat returns from the m8 ventures. 

We didn't lay a glove on the h1bee5, at the same time remembering that Livi turned them over... The joys. 

FTh

4 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

GORDON

HARING     BENI    CAMMY

MACKAY   SIMMS

FTOF FTH FTSPFL

That's a strong lineup.  We need every one of them to be right on their game.

If they were all that great they would have taken more than 1 point from their last 2 games.

They will be desperate and we need to be confident and right up for the battle.

If we score first I think we will win.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

So all we need to do at Ibrox to win is attack from the start? Why has no other team thought of this? We could start super-attacking and be three nil down after 20 minutes - the benefit is that this would take away the fear of losing a goal later in the game whilst also avoiding their fans turning on their own team. Rangers could then sit back pick us off on the break in the second half and win by 6. 🤗

That’s obviously an extreme outcome but not beyond possibility. Let’s just play our usual game and see where it takes us. We shouldn’t be afraid but just be sensible. Be interesting to see the crowd reaction if we do score first.

Even if we do start trying to attack, Rangers will also come out to attack. If they do this better than us then we will end up defending. The other team have a say in where the game is played. I know this attack at all cost is driven by an anti-Neilson agenda - I wish we could just all pull together for once. It seems too much to ask even when we are doing well.

Wasting you’re time trying to be balanced when it comes to Us playing Rangers.Our manager who has one of the best records v Rangers of any manager in last 30 years needs to stop being a bottler and go for all out attack against a team that have lost 2 domestic league games in 19 months according to some on here that’s all that’s needed.   Same story every time. 

It'll be a tough game cause they're a better team overall.  But they're not as good as Celtic, certainly on current form, and the natives are extremely restless.  Keep in the game till half-time and there's every chance of taking something.

We've only lost 2 games this season by more than a goal so i don't see it being anything other than tight even if we lose

31 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

They are going to come out all guns blazing. We've got to be ready to withstand that without sitting too deep. 

I would play a back 4 to allow us to play all three CMs and try to get some control of the midfield.

Given they will have a lot of the ball I am going for a counter attacking forward line with maximum pace. To be fair Boyce is probably best at holding the ball up so could give him and Simms a half each.

Ginnelly is frustrating because you never know which version will turn up. But I would pick up for his ability to run in behind their defence.

I am assuming Smith and Halkett are injured and Souttar will be fit.

Gordon

Atkinson Souttar Sibbick Kingsley

Ginnelly Beni Haring Devlin MacKay

Simms 

Having Ginelly in a midfield role doesn’t make any sense to me. You’d be as well having someone on there who will at least offer the full back some protection. The formation could work but not with Ginelly. 

Ex member of the SaS

Never go into these games thinking we will get anything, so when we do it's a bonus. After losing top spot, the officials will be desperate to ensure they don't lose any more ground, so a win or draw is not on the cards. Unfortunately.

I just hope that they have more control of the ball in the first half than in recent games against the green factions.

10 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Massive pressure on them to win to get back in the mix……zip pressure on us……1-2 soapy to score 😁

the_dick_emery_show.jpg

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Forget history, forget the officials, forget it’s at Ibrox and look at the two teams:

Rangers will be something like

McGregor

Tavineir Goldson Bassy Balgoun

Arfield Jack Aribo

Sakala Morelos Kent

versus our team, which part of our team is so much stronger than that Rangers 11 that makes people think all out attack is the simple way to beat that team?

They need to be off their game and we need to be 100% on ours. I’m not suggesting we can’t go and get a result but not if we over commit and leave gaps all over the pitch. 

The natives will be very restless so for me keeping our shape standing up to them and retaining possession will turn the crowd, if that happens we then need to punish the inevitable mistakes from them. 

Retaining possession is vital, moving into attacking positions with pace will be required. Boyce sits this out for me 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, jimmy the jambo said:

Robbie needs to wear a face mask on Sunday & he can shout as much as he wants as no one can prove it’s him 😷

He had one in when I bumped into him at 4pm, I asked if we were going to win and he said “hopefully mate”. 

Dunno what some folk are so pessimistic about. We went there earlier in the season and got a draw, we weren’t outclassed at tynecastle either. They’re in poor form. Every reason to think we’re in with a sniff.

gorgie rd eh11
19 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Use the template that Celtic showed tonight. 

I agree, 70 million pound budget is what we need.

Would play Gino and Simms, the quicker we can move the ball forward from back to front the better chance we have. Would still play McKay although not at his best in Derby but he can find the killer pass. Would go 4 at the back as Taverner and Kent will be pressing wide.

Gordon

Atkinson, Moore, Sibbick, Kingsley 

McKay, Beni, Devlin, Cochrane

Gino, Simms.

2 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Would play Gino and Simms, the quicker we can move the ball forward from back to front the better chance we have. Would still play McKay although not at his best in Derby but he can find the killer pass. Would go 4 at the back as Taverner and Kent will be pressing wide.

Gordon

Atkinson, Moore, Sibbick, Kingsley 

McKay, Beni, Devlin, Cochrane

Gino, Simms.

Not sure about Mackay.  Been a passenger in last two bigger matches.  We need people who want and hunt for the ball on Sunday. Not wait for it.  He’s not got the appetite when it’s physical or getting close attention.  He needs to step it up.   

And we can’t wait hoping there’s a moment that falls for him so can make a telling pass. Go and be involved, look to make it happen all the time. 

The rangers defence is pretty shaky Mackay could play a big part on Sunday  , he's owe us a performance. Simms could trouble their defence as could Ginelly, a win is not impossible. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Dunno what some folk are so pessimistic about. We went there earlier in the season and got a draw, we weren’t outclassed at tynecastle either. They’re in poor form. Every reason to think we’re in with a sniff.

Good Post. 

WheatfieldWarrior
14 hours ago, Locky said:

Sorry, but I fear a backlash from that. This is still a very strong Rangers team and they will be fuming about the last 2 matches. Reckon they'll come out fired up on Sunday and boss the game, its really all about us shutting them out and nicking what we can. 

They have one league win in 4 league games this year, that was 1-0 win against Livi at home.  Draws with Aberdeen, Rosco and then the loss to Celtic. 

It has all the hallmarks of the Rangers classic post Christmas blow-up in my view. 

Gordon

Soutter.   Sibbick.  Kingsley

Atkinson.                                         Cochrane

Beni. Haring. Devlin 

McKay.  

Simms.                          

Edited by Mdoug79

I know cochrane is still learning but he got battered against Celtic. Tic players went passed him every time. Same thing could happen against the huns.  Not sure Halliday is the answer either. Weak point in team at mo 

Bazzas right boot

Even v Celtic in the recent 2-1, although all over us I think Gordon had 1 save to make, we've generally defended quite well in these fixtures limiting them to more longer range efforts as opposed to us being ripped apart. 

Neilson has his tactics v them down quite well, offside goals, a Gordon error (imo) and pk misses being the difference. 

If we can keep calm, defend well and not concede early we have a chance and we will create a few opportunities. 

Can we take them this time?

If we don't collapse in the first 20/30 mins then I'm confident of a result. 

However, concede An early goal and we might end up how  rangers on Wednesday did. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot