Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

40 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It's clear that many on here jump onto individual posts without following the whole conversation. Many things said in reply to posts, where the induvial has clearly miss read or didn't understand, and explanations are required, people then jump on that post with totally irrelevant comments and the whole thing explodes.

How ironic is that 👆 given your reply to me on the Craig Gordon thread whereby you jumped right in and questioned the relevance of my contribution when all I'd done was add to a perfectly reasonable previous poster's question?

Just sayin', mate. 😉

Edited by Wee Mikey

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

davemclaren
53 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The narrative that entertaining football and winning football are two totally incompatible things forever at odds with one another is ****ing nonsense. 

I don’t think anyone has claimed that. I felt entertained on Wednesday but entertainment is subjective, unlike results.  I’m very seldom entertained by a defeat though. 

49 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The narrative that entertaining football and winning football are two totally incompatible things forever at odds with one another is ****ing nonsense. 

Absolutely.

Critically though, entertainment is subjective. Winning is not.

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t think anyone has claimed that. I felt entertained on Wednesday but entertainment is subjective, unlike results.  I’m very seldom entertained by a defeat though. 

Beat me to it.

1 hour ago, lost in space said:

I said in one of the earlier posts that whether an objective is met can/will be subjective eg giving opportunities to youth players. As it would not be fair (on Neilson) to put on an actual number, it should be left to Neilsons manager to decide if Neilson has done enough in that area.

Other objectives (eg league position) can be very specific.

I totally agree that each objective should be as specific as possible.

I think we are actually agreeing on nearly all of this - which will be a worry for you😇.

I love the idea that JKB should be allowed to evaluate his end of season performance. What could possibly go wrong???

"I think we are actually agreeing on nearly all of this - which will be a worry for you😇."  lol - I'm furious with myself :) :) :)

it would certainly be interesting to find out in the distant future what kind of objectives / targets have been given to Nielsen by Budge. Maybe as straight forward as get us out the championship, then get us 6th, then 3rd and into Europe

right - am off to watch some back episodes of saint and greavsie....remind myself what football's really all about - i.e. letting the ball do the work......use the full width of the pitch.....the cup / pitch / weather is a great leveller 🤣

22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It’s been an ongoing theme for years. There was a thread last season when we were in the championship that pondered whether we’d rather see good football or winning football (or words to that effect). Robbie’s style of play is brought up in every Robbie thread which inevitably leads to the same argument.

oh, and I agree. Wednesday was excellent.  Best performance in months. 

Edited by GinRummy

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s been an ongoing theme for years. There was a thread last season when we were in the championship that pondered whether we’d rather see good football or winning football (or words to that effect). Robbie’s style of play is brought up in every Robbie thread which inevitably leads to the same argument.

oh, and I agree. Wednesday was excellent.  Best performance in months. 

Us supporters seldom get a choice. We generally have to get on with what we are given - good or bad  😄

Just now, davemclaren said:

Us supporters seldom get a choice. We generally have to get on with what we are given - good or bad  😄

Very true. Been a great season under RN so far and the encouraging thing for me is after a couple of defeats he changed the system which has helped revitalise the team. An improvement on last season when he let things get stale for too long. Credit to him. 

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

SO an educated guess and NOT a FACT! I and others were called out for making things up and there you go doing just that! Get a grip.

You are a complete imbecile, FACT! :laugh:

Happy now, or would you like me to educate you as to what an educated guess is and how it is NOT making things up, so you can discuss the thrust of the post rather than find what your half-wit old brain thinks is a "eureka" moment? 

Actually, don't bother, you clearly wouldn't understand as you have nothing to offer other than same old Victor Meldrew-esq patter, spending your time in an exasperated, perpeptual grump, never satisified and taking it all out on the manager of a team you supposedly support. What a terrible existence. 

Edited by Gizmo

FarmerTweedy
On 03/03/2022 at 00:51, FarmerTweedy said:

It's quite simple really, the absolute roasters who hate Neilson so much they want him fired even while we're comfortably third in the table are just savvy enough to realise they'll be ripped to shreds if they try to carry on the argument when we've just brought our little dodgy run to an end with two consecutive dominant victories!   Don't worry, we'll have a disappointing result soon enough, because that's football, and they'll be piling in again before you know it!

Well, I was wrong again (hardly unusual, admittedly)!  Folk still trying to carry on the argument, even going so far to question whether Neilson is actually still in charge of the team or not, suggesting that he might now be getting ordered to play certain tactics by other people, rather than deciding the tactics himself. 

:facepalm:

FarmerTweedy
22 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Taking the post out of context Dave. We were discussing the fact that many claim the bigot twins are always top due to finances and I said that could be said for us over the rest of the league. With the difference between us the the rest ( financially ) we should have the quality of players to make third a more permanent position. One of the two bigots are always top so we " should " be third. Obviously football is not simply about finances but we should be signing better players than the rest therefore we should be better than the rest.

It's been widely reported that Aberdeen and the weeteam have higher wage budgets than us at the moment.  

FarmerTweedy
21 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Ambition should always be to improve from the season before. If not then make way for someone who is. 

Is there a prize for most monumentally stupid post on this thread? Because you're arguing now that Neilson should be sacked if he doesn't get us second place next season and if he does, he should be sacked if he doesn't win us the league the following season. 

FarmerTweedy
20 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That has to be comment of the week between that @JohnFindlay.

People talking about Bielsa saying he's shit and that yet lording up Neilson as the messiah 😂😂😂

Oh my lord. 

A guy that took a mid table mediocre championship team too

the Premier league 🙄🤔

With virtually the same squad turned Phillip's into an international. 

Bamford into a striker that scored 17 goals last season. 

Do people actually study or take an interest in other teams, or do they just talk utter garbage? 

Has last 5 games he didn't have Cooper, Phillips, Bamford. 

The spine of his team. 

And even in a relegation battle the fans still wanted him as manager. 

Now Robbie's greatest achievement winning the Scottish championship 😂

And gifting Hibs the Scottish cup. 

People now trying to compare him to GVB a born winner. 

Robbie couldn't Even get us to the group stage? 

Honestly I think I'm living on a different planet at times

That's been very clear for quite some time. 

FarmerTweedy
20 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Bottom line Robbie will never have full support of Hearts fans, he wasn't the fans choice Ann brought him back. 

He's only one or two losses away from people shouting Robbie out. 

Which creates a toxic environment we don't need that. 

And he's the last remnant of the Levein era. 

On the other hand, he's doing a very good job and will be here for quite some time to come!

The only thing creating a toxic environment is people who actually think that coasting to third place by a country mile in our first season back up from the Championship is somehow a dreadful failure deserving of the sack.  Thankfully for sane Hearts fans, these people are not in positions of power and influence at the club.  We'd be in big trouble if they were.

Nookie Bear
25 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Is there a prize for most monumentally stupid post on this thread? Because you're arguing now that Neilson should be sacked if he doesn't get us second place next season and if he does, he should be sacked if he doesn't win us the league the following season. 

I think the general feeling is he should be sacked before he has the chance to fail next season 😄

4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Of course we are.

But I think a return of 12 points so far from a possible 24 from games versus Ross County, St J and Dundee isn’t a great return.

These 3 teams have barely been out the bottom 3 all season.

There has to be something we want to better each season….there has to be targets. 

RN has no doubt made leaps and bounds this season but there are certain mistakes he just hasn’t learned from imo.

The fact we still only have two proper strikers in our squad riles me to bits. If we lose Boyce to injury or suspension we have to change our entire style of play. If we lose McKay we have practically zero creativity elsewhere to call on. He has to beef up the squad in the key areas that turn our possession into goals and more wins.

I just think Neilson has plateaued for us and trying to bring in better quality players whilst having a guy with the same ideas won’t get the best out of whatever money we spend.

RN shouldn’t be offered a new deal until we see what he does with the next budget he’ll be handed. Next season is a big one for him with regards to Hearts career.

Teams have bad runs, decent teams have bad runs, good teams have bad runs. Celtic had a poor start to the league, Rangers have dropped points recently against Ross County, Motherwell, United - it’s what makes football interesting and exciting. Would be boring if every game went the the way of the team with most money. 

If we want to talk about bad runs - Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs have now won one of the last 27 league games they have played - that’s a staggeringly bad run for all three clubs who expected to be challenging for third at the start of the season 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Not incompatible maybe but certainly very rare 

16 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

what the **** are you on about? I said show a team with a similar situation to Hearts (or Aberdeen/Hibs) who has won the league and you're still on about Bodo beating Celtic? We beat Celtic too. Show a team with a financial disparity to the most dominant club comparable to us and the OF winning a league in europe in the last 10 years? Bodo Glimt and Rosenborg is nowhere near comparable to any Scottish team and the Old Firm. 

Bodø glimt wages are £32k a week full squad. 

Bodo highest paid player £2.5k a week. 

Compared to our £75k a week full squad. 

Rosenborg pay £60k a week full squad 

Molde pay £62k a week full squad. 

Rangers and Celtic pay over £350k a week full squad. 

Highest paid player's Callum Mcgregor £30k a week. 

Alfredo Morelos £33k a week. 

To put thing's into perspective. 

Bodø glimt pay less than Livingston a week. 

Yet managed to batter Celtic both home and away. 

They have a stadium capacity off 6,295. 

They recently sold there four best players Erik Botheim £4.5mil. 

Patrick Berg £4.05mil 

Marius lode free transfer 

Fredrik Andre Bjorkan free transfer. 

Elias hoff melkersen £378k Hibs. 

They have a strategy of playing youth and picking up players from there league that are under valued. 

They also play with youth and try to sell on. 

The reason they have high transfer market value, is because of recent success of winning league. 

and results in Europa league. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

15 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

this thread isn’t occupied by posters who value logic. 

on this very page we have a poster who “expect” to beat rangers and Celtic at home all the time.  But would never countenance losing away to Ross County. Who are far closer to us than we are to the old firm. What kind of ****ing logic is that.

The mad vlad years were responsible for creating a lot of mad *******s that’s for sure.. 

I wouldn’t persue it mate.  Like arguing with a wall

See above ^

Nookie Bear
20 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Patrick Berg £4.05mil 

They have a strategy of playing youth and picking up players from there league that are under valued. 

The reason they have high transfer market value, is because of recent success of winning league. 

Good working but you didn't answer the question so i can't give you full marks.

The question related to the disparity between clubs where the 'poorer' club wins the league.

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Man's gotta try.

26 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Patrick Berg £4.05mil 

Gives everyone a bit of hope. 

Well, I was wrong again (hardly unusual, admittedly)!  Folk still trying to carry on the argument, even going so far to question whether Neilson is actually still in charge of the team or not, suggesting that he might now be getting ordered to play certain tactics by other people, rather than deciding the tactics himself. 

:facepalm:

Always a good idea to be open to suggestions though. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

The question related to the disparity between clubs where the 'poorer' club wins the league.

There's a clear disparity in wages with Bodo and Celtic yet they beat them over 2 games? 

So because they don't play in Scotland it doesn't count? 

They also beat Roma so hardly a fluke? 

They would challenge both Celtic and Rangers. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Bodo Glimt are poorer than Molde and Rosenborg. 

Molde pay £62k a week full squad. 

Rosenborg pay £60k a week full squad. 

Hearts could challenge the old firm, it's upto the people in charge of the club to do that. 

No good crying about the financial difference etc, it's 11vs11. 

We are from the capital of Scotland yet only have a 20k seater stadium, both Hearts and Hibs are tinpot at times. 

What are we doing to attract more fans etc? 

A_A wehatethehibs

Step 1 you get good young players in, step 2 you win the league, then step 3 you sell the players for a profit. Absolute wonder strategy! Why’s nobody ever tried that! 

8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Bodo Glimt are poorer than Molde and Rosenborg. 

Molde pay £62k a week full squad. 

Rosenborg pay £60k a week full squad. 

Hearts could challenge the old firm, it's upto the people in charge of the club to do that. 

No good crying about the financial difference etc, it's 11vs11. 

We are from the capital of Scotland yet only have a 20k seater stadium, both Hearts and Hibs are tinpot at times. 

What are we doing to attract more fans etc? 

It's a very simplistic and niave take on things.

Would you want Martindale as our manager ?

7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Step 1 you get good young players in, step 2 you win the league, then step 3 you sell the players for a profit. Absolute wonder strategy! Why’s nobody ever tried that! 

We seem to fall at step one. 

Ex member of the SaS
3 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

How ironic is that 👆 given your reply to me on the Craig Gordon thread whereby you jumped right in and questioned the relevance of my contribution when all I'd done was add to a perfectly reasonable previous poster's question?

Just sayin', mate. 😉

What's Ironic? You took the thread off course with your chat with Wattie exploited about punk rock gigs. I pointed this out and suggested you take it to the shed, as I had previously had a warning for taking the thread off course and what's good for one is good for the rest.

So you may say I jumped in but I was trying to keep the thread on topic.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

You are a complete imbecile, FACT! :laugh:

Happy now, or would you like me to educate you as to what an educated guess is and how it is NOT making things up, so you can discuss the thrust of the post rather than find what your half-wit old brain thinks is a "eureka" moment? 

Actually, don't bother, you clearly wouldn't understand as you have nothing to offer other than same old Victor Meldrew-esq patter, spending your time in an exasperated, perpeptual grump, never satisified and taking it all out on the manager of a team you supposedly support. What a terrible existence. 

Lived a much more exciting life than you ever will. But it's good to know there are registered phycologists on here if I ever need help ( which I don't and never will ) 

Nookie Bear
18 minutes ago, logopolis said:

Who was the Brora manager? He could do a job.

And yes, hugely simplistic and naive.

Just now, logopolis said:

That one! 

knutsen-scaled.jpg

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That one! 

knutsen-scaled.jpg

I mean.. for the love of ****. He will take a job in one of Europe’s top league for a salary miles out of our league. 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I mean.. for the love of ****. He will take a job in one of Europe’s top league for a salary miles out of our league. 

Don't try don't get, he's on £4k a week just now. 

FarmerTweedy
21 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I don't really follow this thread but is it basically Bongo being daft and everyone else calling him out? 

No one serious actually thinks he should get the sack? 

In fairness, there's been a few dafter than Bongo, and yes, a few seriously think he should get the sack.

FarmerTweedy
19 hours ago, jr ewing said:

If  they can do it, why not us?

You want us to hire the St Mirren manager and get ourselves to 10th in the league? Or you want us to appoint a rookie manager from the coaching staff a la Tam Courts?  

33 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That one! 

knutsen-scaled.jpg

Does anyone else think we should call this Bodo/Glimt guy and warn him he might be in danger?

FarmerTweedy
19 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Preferably at the end of season, we agree mutual termination, or don't renew his contract. 

And again, sane Hearts fans everywhere can be thankful that the people running the club have a grip on reality that you clearly don't! 

46 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Lived a much more exciting life than you ever will. But it's good to know there are registered phycologists on here if I ever need help ( which I don't and never will ) 

"Psychologists". 

Once I reach old fart status like you, I certainly hope I'm not a closed-minded, stupid curmudgeon that hasn't learnt a thing from all those experiences. :thumbsup:

Ex member of the SaS
8 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

"Psychologists". 

Once I reach old fart status like you, I certainly hope I'm not a closed-minded, stupid curmudgeon that hasn't learnt a thing from all those experiences. :thumbsup:

The ignorance of youth. You will learn as you too grow old ( if you are lucky enough to live to old age )

You want us to hire the St Mirren manager and get ourselves to 10th in the league? Or you want us to appoint a rookie manager from the coaching staff a la Tam Courts?  

I would like to start the season believing we might win it. Always have, Always will. 

What's Robinson got to do with anything 🤔 

44 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

The ignorance of youth. You will learn as you too grow old ( if you are lucky enough to live to old age )

Youth. :laugh: I must have been orbiting the sun on Mars, not earth.  

Age is only a defining characteristic if you make it so. It's not my fault your age has not endowed you with a sense of realism. 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Don't try don't get, he's on £4k a week just now. 

wow.

you seem very clued up on other peoples private business…

Glamorgan Jambo

If anyone thinks Robbie won’t get, and won’t deserve a contract extension after winning the Championship and then following that up with a 3rd place finish then I suggest they study our league finishes for the last 40 years.

9 hours ago, davie1980 said:

It's great isn't it 

"He has improved us every season he's been here"

"Well, he has one more season to prove he can improve us"

No he hasn't, you complete roaster. Stop acting like you're in charge here.

We could stand still for the next 3 seasons and he shouldn't be sacked. You shouldn't get sacked unless you fail to meet expectations in your job.

This continuous improvement model, where has it came from? 

And what happens when we win the champions league and club world championship? What are they going to demand from him next term?

🤣

Obviously the next "demand" will be finishing above Celtic and Sevco.

The jump from third to second involves:

- a massive cash injection

- an improbable huge slump from at least one of the top two

- Hearts having a squad strong enough that our reserves would be good enough to swap in for every position.

The league setup playing each other 4 times means you would need to win more than half vs the top two.  We are lucky to get 1 out of 4 against either.

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Obviously the next "demand" will be finishing above Celtic and Sevco.

The jump from third to second involves:

- a massive cash injection

- an improbable huge slump from at least one of the top two

- Hearts having a squad strong enough that our reserves would be good enough to swap in for every position.

The league setup playing each other 4 times means you would need to win more than half vs the top two.  We are lucky to get 1 out of 4 against either.

Already pointed that out myself Frank BUT it is easy ...." in the land of make believe"... dah dah dah dah dah dah dah da da da da dah dah 🤣