Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

I saw Zelensky comment that Patriot had been 100% effective over Kiev, he said it took out every missile. But he didn't say drones, I don't know what they're knocking the drones down with but I saw a video saying that suitable guns were good enough for these slow moving Iranian drones. They were using a WW2 naval pompom type anti aircraft gun that was just obliterating these drones.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting speculation in this video around why the Russians launched an air attack in the daytime when usually it's at night. One thought was that maybe they figured they might catch the Ukrainians off guard so t speak, not expecting this.

Another more pernicious thought is that it might be for a "media opportunity"

Buildings being struck in the daytime makes more spectacular footage than night time. And some speculation about the offensive.

Hagar the Horrible

Got to be a false flag. Stir up the locals to back the war. Especially when the news comes in on their death toll. I can't see drones flying that distance from Kyiv. The fact that the Ukranians are making jokes about it tells you they don't care. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Got to be a false flag. Stir up the locals to back the war. Especially when the news comes in on their death toll. I can't see drones flying that distance from Kyiv. The fact that the Ukranians are making jokes about it tells you they don't care. 

Aye i'm calling bullshit on it.

If Ukraine fired their own drones or indeed Western supplied weaponry to hit Moscow then there would be significant damage to what was targeted. 

It's the Putin regime at the madame. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Don't really need to be launched from UKR could be in a Farm Barn 30miles(ish) outside of Moscow and they just send a few up every so often, would be UKR supporters but Russian nationals just given money to buy the drones and fit a cheap fairly useless device. All of that btw is speculation on my part.

Sawdust Caesar
2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

There is speculation that he's laying the groundwork for the next round of mobilization, hoping the people will be less inclined to oppose it or kick up a stink.

Russia is still stirring the pot in Serbia, where things continue to escalate.

Both sides of that particular idiocy are in the wrong, but Serbia is politically close to Russia. 

Russia would be very, very happy for the Balkans to blow up again and distract the EU and NATO from the events in Ukraine.

A Putin comment on the drones.

"This is obviously a sign of terrorist activity."

But presumably bombing Ukrainian cities is not? Maybe just some landscaping, urban renewal. Like in Bakhmut.

So the war comes to Moscow. Sorry, the special military operation. Apparently there are rumours Putin is trying to get people to work 6 days a week for no extra money. Good luck with that.

Putin 'could be behind Moscow drone attack' as a false flag operation | retired Air Vice Marshall

The Russian people may not fall for 'Putin's lies' as its war in Ukraine arrives in Moscow, says Sean Bell, retired Air Vice Marshall. 

i think I might be edging towards thinking Ukraine had a hand in the Moscow drone attack. Seems the drones fell in an exclusive area where politicians and business moguls live, is that coincidence? Or is it a message to all of them we can get you anywhere, if we want to.

A smell of petrol was reported, it looks as if the drones were intended to start a little fire at worst, but here they are, next time it could be explosives, we can reach you. Plus it would do no harm to try to limit any potential harm to elites and not the general population.

Though they too will obviously know there was a multiple drone attack of some form, this shit is getting real. Always was real for the Ukrainians.

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A Putin comment on the drones.

"This is obviously a sign of terrorist activity."

But presumably bombing Ukrainian cities is not? Maybe just some landscaping, urban renewal. Like in Bakhmut.

20230531_103436.jpg

highlandjambo3
49 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

20230531_103436.jpg

In response to the drones, putin could always send in the might of the Russian forces to smash Ukraine 

On 30/05/2023 at 05:50, ri Alban said:

Does Ireland have nukes? How many actually have nukes that work. American? possibly Israel? Russia ain't nuking anyone. Get them tae feck out of Scotland and use the Clyde for something else. I'm sure the many other ports in England and Wales or NI can house them. What about Ireland? 

Neutral Scotland will do me. No more Scots dying for shite like the Falklands, Iraq Afghanistan or The Ukraine. Dying for Feck all. 

WW2 is a different animal, everyone would need to fight another one of those, except Ireland, they'll just leave their lights on during a blackout, Hitler's little helpers 

As long as Russia and China have nukes, France and the UK shouldn't give theirs up.  

il Duce McTarkin
7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

As long as Russia and China have nukes, France and the UK shouldn't give theirs up.  

I agree with this, despite being fundamentally opposed to weapons of mass destruction (or weapons in general, if we get right down to it).

8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Definitely, despite the fact in a sense these weapons have no military value. I have seen top army guys say these weapons are of no use to them. But this war has taught us what would happen if we did not have them, they would most definitely threaten us with them to get their way. The mini Putin in NK too.

This is something we can't rely on the US for, because their own interests will always come before anyone else, and rightly so.

Children die in new missile attack on Kyiv

Two children and an adult died, and more than a dozen people were injured, in a new night-time missile attack on Kyiv, Ukrainian officials say. Russia has been subjecting the Ukrainian capital to regular aerial attack with missiles and drones.

The latest attacks occurred in the eastern Desnyanskyi and Dniprovskyi districts. Ukrainian officials said details of the dead and injured were based on preliminary information.

One of the children killed was between 5 and 6 years old, while the other was 12 or 13, the Kyiv city military administration wrote on Telegram. Both were in Desnyanskyi district.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65772840

The entire Nukes situation is a very complex one with no real answers.

The theory is that if you have Nukes then nobody will directly attack you, either with conventional warfare or with their own Nukes. 

Every nation with Nukes is left with a huge financial bill to maintain them, but that is probably far cheaper then the cost of a large-scale conventional war.

So, you pay a bit of cash to prevent a larger expenditure down the line when you're trying to rebuild your cities after a large scale war.

But then, if using your own Nukes and conventional warfare are off the table, that then leads to Cold War situations where both sides use espionage, hacking, political interference, bribery, corruption or even proxy wars in non-nuclear states to damage their enemies.

Whether or not the financial cost of all of that ends up being more than the cost of a conventional war is debateable.

And the amount of damage done through these actions is also debateable.

If the nuclear states really think that Nukes are the key to World Peace, why then does the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty exist?

Why do they try so hard to prevent other nations from getting Nukes?

Surely, if everybody had them then nobody would be able to feck with anyone else due to the MAD effect. World peace achieved.

But then I suppose that means that everybody would have equal amounts of political power on the international stage, and the Old Order don't want that.

The Old Order (which has Nukes) is able to bully, cajole and dominate those without, which is how they like it. Good old fashioned colonial attitudes.

Considering that they've been enjoying the benefits and safety of a nuclear umbrella for 70+ years, the USA and Russia have been in an awful lot of wars since the end of WW2.

Maybe the whole World Peace thing is bollocks and Nukes are just another weapon in international diplomacy.

Ukraine was once the site of most of the USSR's nuclear missiles, and this would have cost the newly independent state a ton more money than they had at the time. So, they gave them to Russia in 1994 in return for international guarantees of territorial integrity. This has shown to have been a mistake. Perhaps they should have kept some. Or joined NATO sooner. But hindsight is always 20/20.

Belarus also once had Nukes, but gave them all to Russia between 1991 and 1996. They're getting some of them back now. Shite-all to do with World Peace and everything to do with international politics and Old Order bullying.

South Africa had Nukes during the Cold War, but that was nothing to do with defending itself and all to do with political power. It may even have been a racial thing, with the Apartheid regime being terrified of political change and wanting to entrench the white minority rule with the threat of nuclear weapons. Not exactly having World Peace in mind, eh?

South Africa was deeply involved in proxy wars on the African continent even when they had Nukes. Acting as a colonial Old Order bully, as previously mentioned. They voluntarily gave up their Nukes in 1989. By then, the writing was on the wall for the Apartheid regime and this disarmament may have been an attempt to show that they were now The Good Guys, or it may have been an attempt to keep Nukes out of the hands of any future black majority government. Speculation is rife to this day as to why South Africa chose to get rid of its Nukes.

Israel has Nukes, but pretends that it doesn't, and has locked up the whistleblower that revealed that they had them.

If having Nukes means nobody fecks with you, surely you'd want everyone to know you have them?

Especially Israel, which has been under existential threat since its formation in 1948. Very strange that a nation under such threat from all sides would not want its neighbours to know that it has Nukes. Perhaps they didn't want anyone to know because they were supposed to be some sort of a secret weapon during the USA/USSR Cold War? Or perhaps they didn't want anyone to know because they actually wanted to use them the next time they were directly attacked by a neighbour? Maybe God told them to do it. Who can tell?

Iran has been pursuing Nukes for decades. USA and Israel keep blowing up their research and production sites. But USA and Israel both have Nukes and under the MAD theory would be safe from Iranian Nukes, right?
Unless, of course, the destruction of Iranian nuclear capabilities is the Old Order not wanting an untouchable opponent in the Middle East and this is once again the Old Order acting like colonial bullies and keeping the weaker nations weak...?

India and Pakistan both have Nukes but that hasn't stopped the two of them knocking the shite out of each other. Nae World Peace on display here either.

North Korea has a few Nukes. They openly use them as a political tool in order to get sanctions eased and to bolster the rule of the Kim family.

The principle of MAD benefits everyone when everyone perceives that the other side shares the same jeopardy.  When one side perceives the other side may be nihilistic,  the entire principle cannot be relied upon.  Russia seems to be keen to take advantage of any doubt.  

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Two children and an adult died, and more than a dozen people were injured, in a new night-time missile attack on Kyiv, Ukrainian officials say. Russia has been subjecting the Ukrainian capital to regular aerial attack with missiles and drones.

The latest attacks occurred in the eastern Desnyanskyi and Dniprovskyi districts. Ukrainian officials said details of the dead and injured were based on preliminary information.

One of the children killed was between 5 and 6 years old, while the other was 12 or 13, the Kyiv city military administration wrote on Telegram. Both were in Desnyanskyi district.

Died from falling debris after missiles shot down. 

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I reminder to everyone that while the Ukrainian soldiers fight on the front line to defend their homes and are killing soldiers sent to invade their country.

Russia is launching missile attacks on civilians and killing innocent men, women and children.

Disgusting.

The 'special military operation' is getting real for them. And I think Ukraine is entitled to attack targets in Russia. If for example they find a weapons cache in Russia being prepared to go to the front line, they're absolutely entitled to take that out, in Russia.

How Ukraine's drone strikes broke Putin's false reality

"Russia wants to have it both ways. They want to be waging this war against Ukraine and pretend that they're not." Russia has created a false reality that they cannot be attacked despite invading a Ukraine, says former US ambassador to NATO Kurt Volker.

On 30/05/2023 at 05:50, ri Alban said:

Does Ireland have nukes? How many actually have nukes that work. American? possibly Israel? Russia ain't nuking anyone. Get them tae feck out of Scotland and use the Clyde for something else. I'm sure the many other ports in England and Wales or NI can house them. What about Ireland? 

Neutral Scotland will do me. No more Scots dying for shite like the Falklands, Iraq Afghanistan or The Ukraine. Dying for Feck all. 

WW2 is a different animal, everyone would need to fight another one of those, except Ireland, they'll just leave their lights on during a blackout, Hitler's little helpers 

Wtf.

How can a nationalist attack a nationalist for teaming up with a nationalist especially in favour of the nationalists that he blames for being nationalist.

According to this Britain has gone further than other nations in terms of not just supplies for Ukraine, but support through statements. Things like say endorsing or simply not criticising drone attacks on Moscow, which Washington has not publicly supported. In fact Biden has stated he thinks any attacks on Russian soil should be avoided.

Personally I feel it's time to stop humouring this charade of not a war on any level. When you're unprovokedly bombing and killing civilians in a neighbouring country, that's an illegal war amongst many other war crimes, and we should be taking no part in pretending otherwise. In a war, the victim nation has every right to strike back, i'm sure the US would feel the same if Mexico went rogue and began bombing them.

'Russia has a very limited ability to attack or harm Britain in any way' | Sir Tony Brenton

Sir Tony Brenton, Former British Ambassador to Russia (2004-2008)

manaliveits105

Yes Mr President I'm afraid it has been confirmed by the KGB that the JKB experts are indeed on our case 

305CBAAA-2C37-412E-8354-A4EA64209DFD.jpeg

il Duce McTarkin
18 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Yes Mr President I'm afraid it has been confirmed by the KGB that the JKB experts are indeed on our case 

305CBAAA-2C37-412E-8354-A4EA64209DFD.jpeg

COBRA meeting Cade and Zammo will sort this shit out.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

According to this Britain has gone further than other nations in terms of not just supplies for Ukraine, but support through statements. Things like say endorsing or simply not criticising drone attacks on Moscow, which Washington has not publicly supported. In fact Biden has stated he thinks any attacks on Russian soil should be avoided.

Personally I feel it's time to stop humouring this charade of not a war on any level. When you're unprovokedly bombing and killing civilians in a neighbouring country, that's an illegal war amongst many other war crimes, and we should be taking no part in pretending otherwise. In a war, the victim nation has every right to strike back, i'm sure the US would feel the same if Mexico went rogue and began bombing them.

'Russia has a very limited ability to attack or harm Britain in any way' | Sir Tony Brenton

Sir Tony Brenton, Former British Ambassador to Russia (2004-2008)

No disrespect to you as I enjoy reading your posts, but that Times Radio seems like a propaganda outlet to me.

Only a few out of those forced to Russia. But quite a story. For future possible reconciliation, a lot of ordinary people in Russia have helped here.

11 hours ago, Craig_ said:

No disrespect to you as I enjoy reading your posts, but that Times Radio seems like a propaganda outlet to me.

I dunno, it's owned by News UK which is a subsidiary of News Corp, owned by Murdoch. Anything Murdoch is connected to always raises my suspicions.

But it's nothing like Fox is it? Fox/Carlson etc. have been supporting Russia to the extent Russian TV has been running Fox clips. And this is most definitely not supporting Russia.

What they discuss is largely content from the Times and Sunday Times. Are you dubious about their choice of guests?

This is a media bias fact check rating for the Times and Sunday Times.

Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY

Seems some military experts are doubtful about the efficacy of Russia's defensive lines. All those trenches they're digging while scattering dragons teeth. They're saying this is useless unless defended by enough troops, if there aren't enough troops in a specific location Ukraine using Challenger and Leopard tanks will simply pass through it. 

How Russia Is Preparing for Ukraine’s Counteroffensive

As Ukraine prepares to launch its much anticipated counteroffensive on Russian forces, satellite images and videos show how Moscow has been strengthening its defense lines. British intelligence says Russia has built some of the most extensive defenses anywhere in the world with their anti-tank ditches, Dragon’s teeth and trenches.

The Russian dissident freedom fighters pulled off a master-stroke of trolling over the last few days.

They hacked and took over the local radio station transmissions and broadcast fake news about a referendum being run to leave Russia and form the Belgorod People's Republic.

Thousands of Russians immediately packed up all they could and fled the region.

Others stayed behind and looted the empty houses and shops.

It's absolute chaos over there.

At the same time, the dissidents continue to launch lightning raids with mechanized units across the border then withdrawing back to Ukraine, drawing in more and more Russian reinforcements to the area.

Each time they withdraw, the Russian media claims to have killed the entire invading force, which is actually counter-productive as it makes the residents think that there is a never-ending wave of attackers lining up to invade the region so this is only spreading panic, as they fear that instead of just launching small raids, a full scale invasion of thousands of troops is imminent.

14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Surely Ukraine will need to step this up soon?

I don't think they need to do anything soon, they will do it when they're ready it will be inside an acceptable weather span. It might be weeks till they make a major move for a variety of reasons but they will most definitely do it.

I believe the opinion of one expert who said that he thinks when the offensive comes Ukraine may do something creative and novel to the extent it will be something or some things we haven't even thought of. If we haven't thought of it then it's highly likely the Russians haven't either.

Just one guys opinion, but Ukraine actually has become as well known for their creativity and efficiency in this conflict as the Russians have now become legendary for their complete lack of both.  And of course to say nothing of their proven fighting abilities against reluctant poorly motivated poorly trained and equipped Russian troops.

The front is what? About 600 miles long? I think this general said they have the power to knock a hole in the line maybe about 30 to 50 miles wide. They can do this in many places because the entire line is too thinly defended.

As noted, Ukrainians known for being smart and good fighters, can we presume they will break through in major force somewhere? I think that's pretty much guaranteed, it's the aftermath that's less predictable. Where will they go following the breakthrough how will Russia respond. And how will Ukraine respond to the response.

Ever since the very early stages of this war when everybody thought Ukraine would fold in a week it's been nothing but Ukrainian victory, in the big picture. I just can't see any reason for that Ukrainian run to end now when they're stronger and better prepared than they have ever been.

Post war they're going to be the best army in Europe, probably are right now, and a gift for NATO to have in the frontline. It just all seems to suggest to me that they might pull off something truly spectacular, "something we haven't thought of"

That General was also of the opinion that Ukraine will target Crimea, and will liberate it. Just one reason for targeting it is he thinks they can, and he doesn't think Russia can stop them. And another is in his view liberating Crimea is the only way to make a path to being truly free of Putin/Russia. End this permanently.

It would be spectacular to the naysayers and the impatient in the west and would justify supporting the war beyond this year,  I'm impatient too, but at the same time I want them to get this right, do something spectacular.

And I trust them to choose the right time to launch it.     

28 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Surely Ukraine will need to step this up soon?

They're prepping it.

Attacking logistics and troop concentrations behind the lines, attacking Russia itself, probing the line all over.

Dragging Russian troops around all over the place to make sure they're spread thinly across the entire line instead of concentrated in major defensive locations.

But yes, some western allies are pushing them to start the offensive as a condition of continuing support.

But at the same time, other allies are saying that any offensive has to be seen to be effective as a condition of continuing support.

So Ukraine has to go soon and it has to work well.

Nae pressure.

Just had a thought about it. Next week Tuesday June 6th will be the 79th anniversary of D day, would they launch on that date? With this history partly in mind?

Might be too obvious, maybe Russia will be on special alert that day. Who knows.  

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Just had a thought about it. Next week Tuesday June 6th will be the 79th anniversary of D day, would they launch on that date? With this history partly in mind?

Might be too obvious, maybe Russia will be on special alert that day. Who knows.  

D-Day was on that day because the weather conditions were right 👍🏻 The counter offensive has started ,not in a big way ..just now Ukraine are causing a certain degree of chaos behind the front line and gaining intelligence. The push will begin when they have the correct equipment in place 🤔

47 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

D-Day was on that day because the weather conditions were right 👍🏻 The counter offensive has started ,not in a big way ..just now Ukraine are causing a certain degree of chaos behind the front line and gaining intelligence. The push will begin when they have the correct equipment in place 🤔

I know all about D day, my father loved war documentaries and books many of which I have seen/read myself. I fully agree they will move when they're ready however long that take. But there is a chance they're ready right now, and might decide on that date as I said for the historical/emotional impact.

From early doors Zelensky began creating a narrative of Ukraine against the tyrant alone, something like Britain standing alone for a year following the fall of France, and Zelensky has more than once employed Churchillian like speech.

Naturally a major move will always come down to the best circumstances, but I think if there were a chance to fit in such a significant date with no detriment to the overall plan, I can see them going for that.

There's more than this offensive at stake isn't there, this might not be enough to finish it, another might need to be planned for next year. I think it might help encourage further support, "as long as it takes" if they introduce a type of emotional aspect to it.

Plus I think the Russians are bigly into dates, what a slap in the face if they were D dayed so to speak on June 6th. Hitler was dead around 11 months after D day.

For anyone interested this YouTube video is a colorized documentary with original footage about the prelude and the planning plus execution of D day plus the larger operation overlord to clear Normandy and break out into open France.

D day just landed the troops in a 30 mile long bite out of the coast maybe only about 5 miles or so deep, and I think they pretty much stayed like that for a month before breaking out of that bite. By the time they did they had landed a million men and who knows how many vehicles and supplies. But surprisingly that wasn't planned.

Eisenhower had expected the breakout much earlier, like in a week at most, but Montgomery didn't like to move until he had overwhelming material superiority and made excuses to delay the breakout. His men loved him for that.

Colorised somehow makes it a little more real than the old black and white material.

"June 6, 1944, the light of dawn" tells the story of Operation Overlord, which is to date the largest military operation that man has ever conceived. From the summer of 1941 until June 6, 1944.

The landing is told like a historical drama with its intrigues, its twists and its thousands of young men who will die there. Entirely produced with cropped and colorized archives, this film by Jean-Christophe Rosé was broadcast on France Télévisions as part of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings in June 2014. It is one of the best audiences for a history documentary.

Just to add, the "World War Two" YouTube channel has been covering the war on a week-by-week basis, presented in a quasi-news kind of production.

They do many special episodes on noteworthy people, events, life on the home front, the espionage operations, crimes against humanity and many other topics along side the main weekly show.

They did a live event for Pearl Harbour, covering it hour by hour and they're doing the same thing with D-Day on the 6th June.

https://www.youtube.com/@WorldWarTwo

https://www.youtube.com/@D-Day24Hours-sm5pe

The same team produced "The Great War", chronicling the entire war also week-by-week exactly 100 years after the fact.
https://www.youtube.com/@TheGreatWar

Edited by Cade

Libertarian
On 30/05/2023 at 07:59, JFK-1 said:

I saw Zelensky comment that Patriot had been 100% effective over Kiev, he said it took out every missile. But he didn't say drones, I don't know what they're knocking the drones down with but I saw a video saying that suitable guns were good enough for these slow moving Iranian drones. They were using a WW2 naval pompom type anti aircraft gun that was just obliterating these drones.

I suppose if Zelensky said it, then it must be true.  

image.png

il Duce McTarkin
21 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

image.png

You not one of the guys that was bigging up the peace-loving Russians about 5 minutes before their armoured columns poured across the border?

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Libertarian said:

image.png

You still think Ukraine deserves all it get ? 

Russia is certainly getting what it deserves,  200k dead and counting..nae luck Ivan :rofl:

You better not visit Crimea or you won't be coming back alive , maybe you would deserve it :shotgun:

1 hour ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

You not one of the guys that was bigging up the peace-loving Russians about 5 minutes before their armoured columns poured across the border?

Such is life.

It's a ***** being wrong.

But being unable to accept being wrong turns you into a *****.