Our Next Prime Minister

Ainsley Harriott

5 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Well it has to be someone who didn’t break the Covid restrictions, so that narrows the field quite a bit. 

Can Ruth be a PM if she’s a Lord/Lady?

I'm not sure what the current rules are, but Alex Douglas Home was in the Lords when elected Tory leader, someone stepped aside from their seat and he was parachuted in, winning the by-election and entering the Commons as PM.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Roxy Hearts

• Lord Montpelier

• WorldChampions1902

Dennis Denuto
40 minutes ago, Boris said:

I'm not sure what the current rules are, but Alex Douglas Home was in the Lords when elected Tory leader, someone stepped aside from their seat and he was parachuted in, winning the by-election and entering the Commons as PM.

Yeah, I think she would have to give back her title and win a seat in the commons to become leader

1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Yeah, I think she would have to give back her title and win a seat in the commons to become leader

Oh, definitely, but not sure she could even stand as is.

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Boris said:

Oh, definitely, but not sure she could even stand as is.

Interesting point, they have to be an MP to be PM but do they need to be an MP to first become leader? or even stand.

2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

"These things happen" also being a comment from Sturgeon in the not too distant past as she also tried to sweep something under the carpet

You might not like what she said but she sat there for 8 hours listening to unionist politicians asking her questions. Their integrity is a great reflection of Westminster in general! No wonder she gave evasive answers! 

2 hours ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Interesting point, they have to be an MP to be PM but do they need to be an MP to first become leader? or even stand.

That I don't know.  As I say, there is perhaps a precedent with Douglas Home in 56(?), but that may have changed.

Lord Montpelier
39 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

You might not like what she said but she sat there for 8 hours listening to unionist politicians asking her questions. Their integrity is a great reflection of Westminster in general! No wonder she gave evasive answers! 

It wasn't actually that affair I was referring to.  

Dennis Denuto
28 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

It wasn't actually that affair I was referring to.  

You were referring to something that she said after a person had been removed form position due to historic tweets. She didn't defend the person nor try to avoid the person being effectively sacked, she described the process where she was hired without the tweets being noticed as 'these things happen'.

Lord Montpelier
6 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

You were referring to something that she said after a person had been removed form position due to historic tweets. She didn't defend the person nor try to avoid the person being effectively sacked, she described the process where she was hired without the tweets being noticed as 'these things happen'.

Sturgeon hired the person - despite warnings - to do the adverts... but yes, "these things happen".

I don't really remember Sturgeon being particularly critical of the now fired SNP Court Jester either. 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

That wasn’t when she said it 

she has never been a real mp either just a big cooncil leader 

Edited by manaliveits105

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It's almost like you don't believe politicians should be open to scrutiny from all sides. Am sure that's not the case though. 

On 24/01/2022 at 10:27, Ainsley Harriott said:

With it looking more likely than ever we will have a new leader taking over shortly here are the front runners.

Rishi Sunak

Liz Truss

Sajid Javid

Jeremy Hunt

Michael Gove

No St Johnstone option? 

1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

It's almost like you don't believe politicians should be open to scrutiny from all sides. Am sure that's not the case though. 

Am 😃

Check oot yer Scottishy Scotishness 😉

5 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I hate hypocritical unionist politicians and the British media. They twist everything into SNP bad! That's my case!

5 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

That wasn’t when she said it 

she has never been a real mp either just a big cooncil leader 

What council?

I P Knightley

Truss doing the press rounds today with her new, modified speech pattern of lower and slower which makes her sound more like a candidate for extra lessons than for leadership. 

Not being drawn on discussions of a leadership run as she's fully supportive of the prime minister. 

These idiots don't realise that this allegiance is toxic. 

On 24/01/2022 at 16:03, FWJ said:

That photo sums up all I despise about him.  Lounging about like it’s his very own private club, but he can’t really be bothered with it and so demonstrates his boredom with this contemptuous fake snooze.

What a deeply, deeply offensive man.

Hes an embarrassment to his faith too. Never stops using it to underpin his views at times. Deck off Jesus thinks your a turd 

On 24/01/2022 at 12:54, Nucky Thompson said:

He made the right call at the right time and the furlough scheme was one of the most generous in the World.

His decisions saved a lot of jobs and all the predictions about mass unemployment when furlough ended never happened.

Credit where it's due

Difficult to defend but ridiculous it wasn't wound down long before it was; unfortunately in politics though it's very difficult to unwind some of these things when they are up and running.

Boris is the man for the job. We all make mistakes and I don't see this as a capital crime. I would support Labour if I thought it would thwart the snp but they could not run a bath this mob.

WorldChampions1902
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Doesn't matter what side you are on. This ***** is a danger to us all. He'll do whatever it takes to enrich and protect himself. But England are welcome to him, we'll be rid of these filthy scummy vermin Tories soon enough.

I wish I had your optimism. I really do. The reality though is that still far too many backbenchers and Tory cultists still think Boris is barry.

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I wish I had your optimism. I really do. The reality though is that still far too many backbenchers and Tory cultists still think Boris is barry.

And willing to debase themselves to an extreme degree.

I know this is probably old news for you folks but I just saw this and it had me howling.

Ainsley Harriott
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Doesn't matter what side you are on. This ***** is a danger to us all. He'll do whatever it takes to enrich and protect himself. But England are welcome to him, we'll be rid of these filthy scummy vermin Tories soon enough.

Hate speech from a Natioanlist. What would Humza say? Illegal that type of chat is it not?

Lord Montpelier
18 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Hate speech from a Natioanlist. What would Humza say? Illegal that type of chat is it not?

Hate speech rules don't apply when the victim is someone who identifies as British, it would seem

3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Aw diddums. Britnat tears and snotters. Oh and I most definitely hate Tories, and No voters, with a passion.

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Hate speech rules don't apply when the victim is someone who identifies as British, it would seem

Tory and Traitors. Yes 👍 

Who actually identifies as British. :rofl: Scottish, English, Irish and Welsh. British :rofl: Only strange people.

Lord Montpelier
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aw diddums. Britnat tears and snotters. Oh and I most definitely hate Tories, and No voters, with a passion.

Keep hating fella, it's one of the traits of the good little nationalist. 

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Tory and Traitors. Yes 👍 

Who actually identifies as British. :rofl: Scottish, English, Irish and Welsh. British :rofl: Only strange people.

???

23 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Keep hating fella, it's one of the traits of the good little nationalist. 

There's a lot of hate around, unfortunately. State of Britain has caused some of it. Some English folk hate Germans and French! I've heard it numerous times. 

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

There's a lot of hate around, unfortunately. State of Britain has caused some of it. Some English folk hate Germans and French! I've heard it numerous times. 

It doesn’t help, when the Editor of The Spectator at the time, Boris de Pfeffel Johnson allows this sort of anti-Scots ‘prose’ to be published.

The Scotch – what a verminous race!

Canny, pushy, chippy, they’re all over the place, Battening off us with false bonhomie, Polluting our stock, undermining our economy.

Down with sandy hair and knobbly knees!

Suppress the tartan dwarves and the Wee Frees!

Ban the kilt, the skean-dhu and the sporran

As provocatively, offensively foreign!

It’s time Hadrian’s Wall was refortified

To pen them in a ghetto on the other side.

I would go further. The nation

Deserves not merely isolation

But comprehensive extermination.

We must not flinch from a solution.

(I await legal prosecution.)

Edited by WorldChampions1902

42 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

It doesn’t help, when the Editor of The Spectator at the time, Boris de Pfeffel Johnson allows this sort of anti-Scots ‘prose’ to be published.

Canny, pushy, chippy, they’re all over the place, Battening off us with false bonhomie, Polluting our stock, undermining our economy.

Ban the kilt, the skean-dhu and the sporran

As provocatively, offensively foreign!

It’s time Hadrian’s Wall was refortified

To pen them in a ghetto on the other side.

I would go further. The nation

Deserves not merely isolation

(I await legal prosecution.)

It's difficult to sum up Johnson as he has so many poor traits. His followers must be absolutely thick!

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

A picture of what ri Alban might look like pops into my head when I read that :lol:

4 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

16 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Tory and Traitors. Yes 👍 

I support Scottish Independence mate but what a load of pish that is.

There's lads and lassies who live 

here from all over the world and they'd all support Indy &, get the Scottish passport. It's got **** all to do with Nationality. It's about getting rid off Tories and an old backwards corrupt Establishment. 

That sort of "ze muzt have ze native Scots, in ze Country yaah" stuff isn't helpful. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

There's lads and lassies who live 

here from all over the world and they'd all support Indy &, get the Scottish passport. It's got **** all to do with Nationality. It's about getting rid off Tories and an old backwards corrupt Establishment. 

That sort of "ze muzt have ze native Scots, in ze Country yaah" stuff isn't helpful. 

On 13/01/2022 at 16:03, ri Alban said:

@Taffin I see you're bumping yer gums about Scots not voting for independence. We did, but the no vote had ruk and EU citizens voting no. 

If it was Scots only , like the euref was UK only, we'd be independent going on 8 years. 👍

On 13/01/2022 at 16:26, Taffin said:

How are you defining Scots? And how are you defining EU and ruk citizens?

We were all EU citizens at the time.

Edit: not strictly true, there were of course non-EU citizens too, but the UK citizens were.

Never did get an answer.

I agree, there's a definite 'pure' Scots only vibe and it's divisive imo. I want a united Independent Scotland that is open to the world and others.

Konrad von Carstein
24 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Never did get an answer.

I agree, there's a definite 'pure' Scots only vibe and it's divisive imo. I want a united Independent Scotland that is open to the world and others.

As do most independence supporters... In my experience.

6 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Just imagine him writing that about Jews. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

*There's lads and lassies who live 

Of course. 

I was asking who exactly identifies as British before Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish. Nothing to do with what you said *. 

I was slating the Tories, but some Tory made it about Nationalism as usual. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ri Alban

WorldChampions1902
37 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

He didn’t write anything it was a satirical poem by James Michie published in the Spectator when Boris was editor 

Correct. Editors merely set the standards for publishing the material of their ‘writers’.

To be clear then, whilst Editor of “The Spectator”, Johnson saw fit to publish the aforementioned ‘prose’. He thought it was worthy of going into print. He didn’t think it would cause offence. And if he did, one supposes he would be quite happy to throw the scribe under the proverbial bus. Like he has done throughout his life. And continues to do.