** Official Heart of Midlothian vs Celtic Match day thread**

copa-mundial

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Rabid. 

Hahahahaha where’s Csaba?
Half right, which is progress for you 😆
Credit to Neilson for changing his initial line up that didn’t work and we should’ve got a draw at least. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• CloustonHMFC

• Factuer Moi

• vegas-voss

24 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We don't need to figure it out. 

£750k + salaries and  £1-£5m transfers is why they can do it. 

It's not a head scratcher. 

It's a head scratcher why RN consistently puts out teams that are a disorganised shambles for the first 45 minutes, that he's unable to correct in play but then plays a blinding second half and all is forgiven.

lost in space
1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Great performance second half. Pathetic first half. Cochrane isnt a defender at all. Beni is probably our best player. We’ll still finish 3rd at a canter.

I feel sorry for Cochrane - he didn't seem to have the first clue on what his job was or where he should be.

Also feel sorry for Smith as celtic targetted his area.Gino had to drop back to help - which is not his game.

We should finish 3rd - but our starting tactics continue to be too defensive.

It's a pity we can't seem to be brave in the first half.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Of course we know what he’s been told to do. The same thing he’s been doing since he came here. He gets frustrated when it’s not working for him and ends up deeper and deeper to get involved sometimes. He’s no use to us 40 yards from goal and he’s not being asked by anyone to go there and play

It's a wee change from IKN stuff previse stuff, check the posts! S@@y  

Neil Mccanns Wand
2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Agreed. It’s pathetic. What is it about playing Celtic that brings out the shitebag factor in our penalty takers?

The feeling it could be the last we ever get against them!

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's a head scratcher why RN consistently puts out teams that are a disorganised shambles for the first 45 minutes, that he's unable to correct in play but then plays a blinding second half and all is forgiven.

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hahahahaha where’s Csaba?
Half right, which is progress for you 😆
Credit to Neilson for changing his initial line up that didn’t work and we should’ve got a draw at least. 

1183107113_dba253deeb_n.jpg

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tactics weren’t an issue tonight.

We had players that looked like they were playing with blindfolds in the first half.

Gordon sold it a bit with the first goal.

Ultimately the PK miss cost us a point - which would have been acceptable.

We’ve been now been very competitive with the arse cheeks every game this season.

Byyy The Light
23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not criticising him at all, as I’ve said in the past I would prefer a DoF and manager not connected to the uglies or the corrupt entity that is Scottish football. 
I think Savage and Neilson want to see us challenge them soon so it’s all good. 

They def do. Robbie almost makes me cringe with his whining about the refs but he’s doing it because he knows the script.

He’s playing the game the whole time. I think that’s a good thing and some thorn the likes of Stendel were naive about. Paolo was a different thing all together, no knowing how he’d get on in a stable environment or on flip side without the siege mentality

Tom Hardy’s Dug

NANO

Robbie didn’t set the team out to play the way they did first half tonight.

if he did he’d be coaching them not to pass to their own players.

get a grip man.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

They are an average Celtic team. We made them look.like a world beating Cetic team.

For a 3rd place team at home we have and need to be looking to perform better than that first 60mins, it was far far too easy for them.

Fair play to Neilson for the changes, but first 60mins needs addressed.

It doesn’t matter a jot where you think this Celtic team are compared with other Celtic teams. There are Celtic teams who have been measurably better than what we saw tonight

What matters is the comparison between the two current teams of Hearts and Celtic. It’s no real surprise that they were better than us because that’s been the case since the Jock Stein era.

I think we could have been better at some things. But I don’t see how we compete with a team which cost millions to assemble (and that wasn’t their best 11 by any stretch)

Teams like Hearts will go through life and get the odd result against Celtic and Rangers, again that’s been happening for many years, but more often than not they’ll have too much for us because of the spending power imbalance.

Weve seen it many times recently when they’ve blown us away for 45 minutes to an hour and we’ve clawed back to some extent. It’s maybe got to the extent where we expect that to happen and we let it happen, hoping they blow themselves out and we’re still in the game. To me that’s not a great approach if that’s what we’re trying but I sat there tonight and I honestly couldn’t think of another approach we could have taken that would have worked. Gung Ho doesn’t work. We’ve tried and failed, not for a while right enough but we’ve tried. Sitting off in two solid banks of 4 doesn’t work. Going toe to toe doesn’t work. Kicking them off the park doesn’t work. Dunno really. We might just need to accept that we’ll win the odd battle and it’ll be sweet but in general they’ll beat us most times, as has been happening for 50 odd years because they’re geared up to be better than us

Edited by JimmyCant

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It doesn’t matter a hot where you think this Celtic team are compared with other Celtic teams. There are Celtic teams who have been measurably better than what we saw tonight

What matters is the comparison between the two current teams of Hearts and Celtic. It’s no real surprise that they were better than us because that’s been the case since the Jock Stein era.

I think we could have been better at some things. But I don’t see how we compete with a team which cost millions to assemble (and that wasn’t their best 11 by any stretch)

Teams like Hearts will go through life and get the odd result against Celtic and Rangers, again that’s been happening for many years, but more often than not they’ll have too much for us because of the spending power imbalance.

Weve seen it many times recently when they’ve blown us away for 45 minutes to an hour and we’ve clawed back to some extent. It’s maybe got to the extent where we expect that to happen and we let it happen, hoping they blow themselves out and we’re still in the game. To me that’s not a great approach if that’s what we’re trying but I sat there tonight and I honestly couldn’t think of another approach we could have taken that would have worked. Gung Ho doesn’t work. We’ve tried and failed, not for a while right enough but we’ve tried. Sitting off in two solid banks of 4 doesn’t work. Going toe to toe doesn’t work. Kicking them off the park doesn’t work. Dunno really. We might just need to accept that we’ll win the odd battle and it’ll be sweet but in general they’ll beat us most times, as has been happening for 50 odd years because they’re geared up to be better than us

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It doesn’t matter a hot where you think this Celtic team are compared with other Celtic teams. There are Celtic teams who have been measurably better than what we saw tonight

Nailed it

2 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I can’t do the whole “Robbie is clueless” stuff.

If a friggin’ pro can’t get lifted for tonight’s game without having to be prepped by a coach then just quit.

Robbie should have been able to write the team on a sticky and leave it on the white board without a word.

The players should know their jobs and what’s expected of them.

Gordon to blame for the first goal

Cochrane and Kingsley posted missing for the second

Ginnelly never touched the ball 

Devlin needs to calm the **** down

Harring I didn’t know he was playing until the 25th minute

Smith ???

Halkett was fine

Souttar was fine

McKay was poor for him first half

Boyce I thought looked up for it

Atkinson looks a good signing

Simms will be good 

Beni is one of our best signings in many many years. joy to watch.

Halliday was fine

GMS is a waste of a spot for a kid who couldn’t do any worse.

JMO

Good post.👍 

8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It doesn’t matter a jot where you think this Celtic team are compared with other Celtic teams. There are Celtic teams who have been measurably better than what we saw tonight

Spot on JC. He’s blinded by his hatred of Neilson. 

I felt that was a real missed opportunity tonight. Celtic weren't anything special, had some key players missing, and we put in that pi$$y first half display. So poor. We showed in the 2nd half tonight, and in the 2nd half of the 1-0 defeat at parkhead, how to play against them. I don't know if Robbie sent them out to keep it tight first half or what but we gave them too much time and space. Disappointing result as fancied us to win tonight. 

10 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

I’m not a huge fan of Neilson either and there are one or two little bits he got wrong tonight. For example he didn’t do anything to really change the flow of the game until we were deep into it. He overrates Devlin and he underrates Mcaneff IMO. 3 up front doesn’t work if you are getting battered in midfield. All of which we get away with if we’re not playing a team of that quality and intensity and tempo and pace.

Edited by JimmyCant

Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

I felt that was a real missed opportunity tonight. Celtic weren't anything special, had some key players missing, and we put in that pi$$y first half display. So poor. We showed in the 2nd half tonight, and in the 2nd half of the 1-0 defeat at parkhead, how to play against them. I don't know if Robbie sent them out to keep it tight first half or what but we gave them too much time and space. Disappointing result as fancied us to win tonight. 

Did you listen to Robbie’s interview? He clearly didn’t send them out to stand off. He said the complete opposite.

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

They def do. Robbie almost makes me cringe with his whining about the refs but he’s doing it because he knows the script.

He’s playing the game the whole time. I think that’s a good thing and some thorn the likes of Stendel were naive about. Paolo was a different thing all together, no knowing how he’d get on in a stable environment or on flip side without the siege mentality

You have to do and he’s right to do it, should’ve mentioned our goal being a mistake also and Biton should’ve been off. All true and you can’t be pulled up for that. 
Yeah I think I would like to see Sergio return at some point. I loved Stendels pressing tactics but he also inherited a mess, you need certain types to play that way. Probably never know what could’ve been but that’s football. 
I think Postecogleu plays the press well but gets more leeway obviously, considering his record isn’t better than Lennons. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

The second half in the final and in the league cup too, it needs sorted. 

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You have to do and he’s right to do it, should’ve mentioned our goal being a mistake also and Biton should’ve been off. All true and you can’t be pulled up for that. 
Yeah I think I would like to see Sergio return at some point. I loved Stendels pressing tactics but he also inherited a mess, you need certain types to play that way. Probably never know what could’ve been but that’s football. 

He did say our goal was offside.

Don’t want either of them back, certainly not Stendel. Paolo will always be a hero but record elsewhere means he stays away and keeps the hero status intact.

43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Looked like a 442, not sure it worked with the personnel in the first half but was better after the changes. 

I noticed 442 in the second half 😂

541, 343, 433 and a 442.   Needs must :devil2:

Ach well, We can still beat Motherwell on Saturday.   Hope we have a defence to pick from. 

Motherwell and Hibs drew with each other.   I think Livi will beat Hibs 0-1. 

We are still ahead on points 🙌

23 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

It’s not just RN, he hates a lot of things about Hearts. Weird.

4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

He did say our goal was offside.

Don’t want either of them back, certainly not Stendel. Paolo will always be a hero but record elsewhere means he stays away and keeps the hero status intact.

Neilson’s position isn’t up for debate at the moment. Losing to Celtic doesn’t impact a Hearts managers job, not ever. 

Lose to Motherwell and Hibs and it will raise a few eyebrows. He won’t lose both. He probably won’t lose either IMO

Lose 3rd from this position and he’ll have to go. I’d be astonished if we collapsed to the extent that we lose 3rd from where we are now

Byyy The Light
Just now, JimmyCant said:

Neilson’s position isn’t up for debate at the moment. Losing to Celtic doesn’t impact a Hearts managers job, not ever. 

Lose to Motherwell and Hibs and it will raise a few eyebrows. He won’t lose both. He probably won’t lose either IMO

Lose 3rd from this position and he’ll have to go. I’d be astonished if we collapsed to the extent that we lose 3rd from where we are now

Confident we’ll win both. 

August Landmesser

Tonight was frustrating as ****, but big picture: our main challengers have all played winnable games and we're only a point worse off than we were before this round of games. We can stretch our lead and be at least ten points clear of our nearest chaser and 15 clear of the wee team by Tuesday night.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Ach well, We can still beat Motherwell on Saturday.   Hope we have a defence to pick from. 

Yeah I’ve missed us go to 4 at the back a few times later in games and home this season, standing in row 9 is my excuse 😆.

We can consolidate 3rd with two wins in the next week, no matter what formation, but yeah the injuries in defence and Souttar is a slight worry. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, August Landmesser said:

Tonight was frustrating as ****, but big picture: our main challengers have all played winnable games and we're only a point worse off than we were before this round of games. We can stretch our lead and be at least ten points clear of our nearest chaser and 15 clear of the wee team by Tuesday night.

Spot on 

38 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

We were , basically , playing 4 up front last 15-20 minutes

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Tactics weren’t an issue tonight.

We had players that looked like they were playing with blindfolds in the first half.

Gordon sold it a bit with the first goal.

Ultimately the PK miss cost us a point - which would have been acceptable.

We’ve been now been very competitive with the arse cheeks every game this season.

All correct.  If we had carried just a bit of luck we would have besten both rangers and celtic in the last 2 home games against them.  From memory we hit the woodwork at least 3 times.  We didn't start either game well though and we should at Tynecastle.

3 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Great performance second half. Pathetic first half. Cochrane isnt a defender at all. Beni is probably our best player. We’ll still finish 3rd at a canter.

Dearie me, you actually thought that was a “great” second half performance  🤦‍♂️

We stood off too much, we needed to press as a team not as individuals (usually Devlin), it gives their player in possession too much time and options. Might have taken something second half, we cannot dwell on this though and Motherwell now becomes priority. We have a couple injury concerns but a strong squad and forced changes can work in our favour. Every squad will be stretched over this busy period but Beni is back and Simms looks promising.

StirlingJambo

For me Beni has to start over Devlin in the next game. I really like devlin as a player but when the crowds going and he’s even more hyped up, he’s chasing balls in parts of the pitch he shouldn’t be in leaving Haring exposed. 

6 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Good post. Next two games are massive. 

4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

All correct.  If we had carried just a bit of luck we would have besten both rangers and celtic in the last 2 home games against them.  From memory we hit the woodwork at least 3 times.  We didn't start either game well though and we should at Tynecastle.

Cant be giving these teams two goal leads. 

The old firm are clearly targeting Tynie as a fixture to be played like a cup tie and we need to find a way to manage that initial onslaught. 

A_A wehatethehibs
29 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

For me Beni has to start over Devlin in the next game. I really like devlin as a player but when the crowds going and he’s even more hyped up, he’s chasing balls in parts of the pitch he shouldn’t be in leaving Haring exposed. 

You mention about leaving Haring exposed 

With Beni and Devlin we have the fittest 90 minute midfield in the Premiership and they have plenty of pace. Haring on the other hand is slow, that’s what the problem is when you talk about “leaving him exposed” his slow pace is an Achilles heel. You play a 2 man midfield, 1 of them is frequently exposed and so both need to be fit and fast enough to compete.  That’s why I think it will be back to Beni-Devlin next game

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Very Good Post, but I'd  add we have been a little closer this season and the defeats we've had have been by slim margins. 

Last night, we score that pk and we are favourites to win that game. 

V rangers, played very well, hit the bar twice. 

Small margins. 

Smaller than in previous years. 

joondalupjambo
47 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

Yep spot on.  Wee Cammy will be rested and Beni in.  Thought Haring has been superb since he came back in and so he must stay in the side for now.  Good we have three, four challenging for the midfield positions.  

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not usually defending him but he did say they didn’t get close enough to them in the first half especially, which seems to have been the plan. Why that was is the question. 

I said it on another thread, Neilson was going tonto urging them higher up the park all first half.

It's fine margins against the Old Firm. In 6 games so far, we've only lost to more than one goal once, against Rangers who we incidentally absolutely battered that day.

In the two other Celtic league games, there'd have been no complaints if we'd taken draws.

I'd say we've only deserved the League Cup defeat.

Frustration is the overriding emotion from all games against them this season.

I thought Celtic were very good in first half with the impressive Hatate running the show.  Yes we stood off too much and were chasing shadows but credit to them.  Also credit to us for changing things up second half and making a real game of it.   As has been said by others, IF that pen goes in we really had them on the ropes at that point.  From getting completely outplayed we should have had a draw and could have actually won the game.   

31 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Very Good Post, but I'd  add we have been a little closer this season and the defeats we've had have been by slim margins. 

Last night, we score that pk and we are favourites to win that game. 

V rangers, played very well, hit the bar twice. 

Small margins. 

Smaller than in previous years. 

Not necessarily ‘closer’ to them in terms of quality but I’d agree there’s been a period in every OF game this season where we’ve been on top and taken it to them, which hasn’t always been the case. It’s usually been from a losing position though. We need to work out a game plan where they aren’t all over us for an hour and have over 70% possession. It’s not easy and we’re the 3rd best team in the league by a distance now so we’ll take that for now and keep trying to get that wee bit closer to the OF.

Edited by JimmyCant

9 hours ago, Rudolf said:

Nothing to do with that, if you could read you will see I praised Neilson for changes made second half.

Again we come to the point that weirdly some Hearts fans don't want Hearts to perform better in first halves v the old firm.

9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You can bleat on all you want, that is not a good Celtic team imo, we showed that for last half hour when we got in about them. 

Better than us, yes, better than us to the extent they showed (we allowed) first half......nah not for me, last half hour backs that up.

We need to find away to start old firm games better imo, maybe not yours but that's what Jkb is about.

9 hours ago, smiler said:

It’s not just RN, he hates a lot of things about Hearts. Weird.

This will be interesting, I don't really rate (= hate the person on Jkb) Neilson as manager but I'm big enough and ugly enough to praise him when its due(like changes made in 2nd half), now please enlighten me to all these other things about Hearts I hate.

Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, Thomaso said:

We score the penalty we win!

I’ve seen this a few times but not sure how anyone can say that on the basis that we created **** all in the 90 minutes (our goal being offside and gifted a penalty).  We probably would have held on for a draw but if you compare the last time Rangers we’re at Tynie, we cut them open umpteen times and made loads of chances - we did it once last night but it was actually offside.  Disappointing as Celtic are pish at the back, Arsefelt in particular but we put them under no pressure and only got back into the game when we starting going long when Simms came on.