Swiss ramble - club finances

Newton51

10 hours ago, Fly the Saltire said:

A better comparison is with Norway, same population but with no club profile outside the country to compare with Old Firm's global reach.

So how come Norwegian league  can attract £63 million a year for domestic TV  football rights?

They've probably got Norwegian broadcasters, who see Norwegian football as the main part of their schedules, to sell the rights to. We have to sell to English broadcasters who see English football as the main part of their schedules, with Scottish football largely as schedule filler.

16 hours ago, Fly the Saltire said:

Norway gets £63m a year from TV rights and competes with  live English, German and Spanish football games

It also plays summer football.

While I agree the the TV deal is horrendous.

The standard of football doesn't really step up, the stadiums are half empty, we've had a league with a load of plastic pitches, the refereeing is more for comedy value rather than sport. All the teams play the same teams every few months and just to top it off the fixtures are rigged and two teams will win nearly every week, with one of the coming first and the other second.

Just imagine a great tv deal, the bigots would have even more money. This isn't a new thing, the bigots ruined the game in Scotland as a contest and a viewable product many, many moons ago.

While Doncaster and his cronies are not even close to fit for purpose, he's not the problem and never was. The problem existed a long time before he rocked up to carry on the status quo.

2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I agree with this, especially the first part.  Much of Scottish football on TV just looks rubbish, with some grounds not even having proper stands on 4 sides, and loads of empty seats where there are stands.

Clubs themselves could do certain things to improve this.  My local club Middlesbrough moved the main camera position out of the main stand to the other side, so that the fuller main stand would be in shot for most of the game.  I believe that Spain has a rule stating that clubs must firstly sell tickets for areas that are within camera shot, specifically to avoid showing too many empty seats.

TBH, the empty segregation area in the School End looks pretty poor, although I understand why visiting fans couldn't really be put anywhere else.

Hibs would struggle with this.

Where would they put the camera 🤣

15 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Hibs would struggle with this.

Where would they put the camera 🤣

In the Griffiths creche.

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

While I agree the the TV deal is horrendous.

The standard of football doesn't really step up, the stadiums are half empty, we've had a league with a load of plastic pitches, the refereeing is more for comedy value rather than sport. All the teams play the same teams every few months and just to top it off the fixtures are rigged and two teams will win nearly every week, with one of the coming first and the other second.

Just imagine a great tv deal, the bigots would have even more money. This isn't a new thing, the bigots ruined the game in Scotland as a contest and a viewable product many, many moons ago.

While Doncaster and his cronies are not even close to fit for purpose, he's not the problem and never was. The problem existed a long time before he rocked up to carry on the status quo.

Agree with this. Need to focus on the product and drastically improve it. If we do that then more money will naturally follow.

The problem we’ve got is the people at the top aren’t bothered or don’t have the vision to create a better product.  Too many clubs are in it for themselves and this is what needs to change. The custodians of the league need to change the mentality of the clubs and get them working together for the greater good.

It’s 100% possible to do this and still be sporting competitive rivals.

In terms of television rights in Scotland the problem is that the vast majority of fans are only going to be interested in their own team. As a Hearts season ticket holder I'm not going to pay for a Sky Sports subscription for the sake of watching 3 or 4 Hearts away games each season. If I can't attend the games I'll just watch them in the pub. The only sets of fans for whom the subscription might be worth it are Old Firm fans as pretty much all of their games are televised. As with everything else in Scottish football, the thought process is all about 'making the most of the Old Firm' rather than trying to build a more competitive league. It's partly about the power and influence that the Old Firm clubs wield on those running the game, but it's also about a complete failure to see the bigger picture.