Peter Haring

Scott Leitch

7 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Heard "Peter Haring Baby" to the tune of Human League "Don't you want me?" a couple times this season.

Good to hear. Think the big guy loves being here but clearly needs to get himself the best deal possible financially.

He said on Hearts tv recently he wanted to keep his options open and would see if we qualified for Europe next season. No problem with that. If he helps us greatly to get there he will hopefully stay on. Win win scenario.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PhoenixHearts

• jackal

• Scott Leitch

• Absolute Scenes

7 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Anyone else think Pete should start on Tuesday? No harm to Devlin, who has been excellent, but with Beni back it's got to he him and one of the other two and I would he more inclined to start Haring. He just has that extra wee bit of composure on the ball than Cammy does. 

Nice problem to have I suppose. 

Agree Mate, Nothing against Devlin but actually think the be needs rested and as was seen against Motherwell he can struggle against the more physical teams. Big Peter to start for me with perhaps Devlin coming on when they tire.

Big fan of Big Pete, strong, composed, not the quickest but knows a pass, always feel more assured when he is on the park.

It's a toughy. Pete is immense, Beni is one of our best players and Devlin was instrumental in both our goals today. 

I wonder if we could shoe horn Haring and Beni in the middle, Devlin behind Boyce/Simms/McKay. Having Devlin cause chaos further up the pitch and winning the ball in dangerous positions to feed 2 forwards might be worth considering. We're comfortably 3rd, maybe worth experimenting a bit with that. 

Once we horse the Hibees obviously. 

I think a 433 Haring middle of Beni and Devlin could work.   Beni and Dev can get ahead of Haring on a high press.  Dev proved today he can get forward and create or at least pass for a chance at goal.   They can both drive toward goal or the forward areas. 

Haring has good positioning and a lovely long pass.   Great at breaking up attacks.  Good at anticipating the danger.   Slow but intelligent.   Marvelous player at this level.   Still my favourite. 

Wouldn't Haring be able to fit in the middle of the back 3? and step into midfield at times when on attack etc? Just a thought as he was originally a centre half to begin with before CL Converted him into a midfielder, It's a way to fit all 3 of beni,devlin and Haring in our system.

PhoenixHearts
7 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Wouldn't Haring be able to fit in the middle of the back 3? and step into midfield at times when on attack etc? Just a thought as he was originally a centre half to begin with before CL Converted him into a midfielder, It's a way to fit all 3 of beni,devlin and Haring in our system.

I can't remember the game but we did actually play a kind of transforming 343/433 early on in the season and it was Halliday playing the switching CB/CM role.

I reckon Peter Haring would have no trouble. 

On 29/01/2022 at 14:41, Aimar2000 said:

Mark my words: Haring will be dropped today for Beni and will leave the club in summer because of no perspective under this coach to be in the starting eleven when all players are fit. 

For me it is a shame to lose such quality. 

Up. Again bench for Peter. ☹️ No chance to start if Beni and Devlin are fit. 

Im amazed how many people think Haring should play in front of Devlin. Haring on his day is a good player but he doesnt cover the ground or make the challenges Devlin does.

He makes a few good cross field passes into space but rarely makes any defence splitting ones. Gets turned by his man or loses him a lot and doesnt have the pace to track back so usually ends in a free kick/yellow card.

Considering we signed him as a defender he has rarely played there and his little chance of playing there either just now.

13 minutes ago, Aimar2000 said:

Up. Again bench for Peter. ☹️ No chance to start if Beni and Devlin are fit. 

Who would you drop for Haring?

PhoenixHearts

I dont mind that Robbie obviously prefers Devlin and Beni. The issue I have is that last time Haring was on form and got unfairly dropped in order for Devlin to make his first start, Haring never got a look in again until Beni's injury.

I think he only played about 5 minutes in that entire time, coming on as a late concussuon substitute for Halkett in one game. 

By all means if Robbie prefers having him on the bench, that's fine. But he doesn't even use him. He plays Cammy and Beni the full 90 minutes unless one is forced off. 

Our last game was the first time all season that he took one of them off (uninjured) and gave Haring decebt minutes.

PhoenixHearts
2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

What's he done that's he needs dropped? 

He shouldn't be "dropped" but he's been the weakest of those 3 in recent weeks (two great passes vs Motherwell to set up both goals mind).

Honestly I think they need to be rotated more. Even Beni was looking a little tired in the 2 games before his injury. 

We can't have any of these 3 getting knackered before the end of the season. We need to balance keeping them match sharp but also well rested.

17 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I dont mind that Robbie obviously prefers Devlin and Beni. The issue I have is that last time Haring was on form and got unfairly dropped in order for Devlin to make his first start, Haring never got a look in again until Beni's injury.

I think he only played about 5 minutes in that entire time, coming on as a late concussuon substitute for Halkett in one game. 

By all means if Robbie prefers having him on the bench, that's fine. But he doesn't even use him. He plays Cammy and Beni the full 90 minutes unless one is forced off. 

Our last game was the first time all season that he took one of them off (uninjured) and gave Haring decebt minutes.

Exactly, it is not about Haring starting every game BUT he does not deserve the bench every time the other two are fit. Especially after he did well the weeks before. 

I think people need to realise that while Devlin is not as good a footballer as big Pete, Hearts could not have done that intense press in the second half without Devlin. 

3 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

I think people need to realise that while Devlin is not as good a footballer as big Pete, Hearts could not have done that intense press in the second half without Devlin. 

I agree  love haring , but devlin was immense 2nd half winning so many balls he shouldn't have 

Bazzas right boot

I think Haring is the better footballer. 

Devlin can improve but to control games and compete v the better teams you need to use he ball better and quicker. 

He's not good enough on the ball at this moment. 

Beni is the only one that shows signs of having consistently a good combination ( not perfect) of control, awareness and tenacity. 

I'd have went with Beni and Haring. 

Beni ran out of steam, not surprisingly having been out for a while.  Thought Haring should have come on for last 30 mins.

Big John Colquhoun

Clear Robbie’s preference is Devlin and Beni - why I don’t know. It’s so defensive, Beni is a ball winner and a better player than devlin, he doesn’t need Devlin next to him. Give Beni and Haring a run.

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Our best CM by a mile,but his face doesn’t fit.

Stats would say otherwise and sure the backroom staff have more accurate stats than we do. 

Edited by jackal

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, jackal said:

Stats would say otherwise and sure the backroom staff have more accurate stats than we do. 

The only stat I care about is the one that shows we win more when Haring plays and we drop points more often when he doesnt play.

42 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

The only stat I care about is the one that shows we win more when Haring plays and we drop points more often when he doesnt play.

Neilson showed tonight he is either clueless or he is stubborn.

Haring shuod have started with Beni. 

7 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Maybe because 2/3 of Harings games he has played at home. Since Devlin came into the squad haring has played 8 home games and 4 away. Devlin may have played more away games than home we have a better goals for when Devlin plays maybe its about the teams he has played against

Devlin tackles more than double Haring but Devlin fouls more for a similar yellow card rate , Passes 50% more, has a slightly better pass %, more key passes, more shots on goal and on target, intercepts more than double, dribbles more, crosses more and surprisingly wins more ariel challenges.

Haring plays more long balls usually onto the other wing but generally a safe pass to a player in space, loses the ball slightly less in possession and makes more clearances.

The bar has risen at the club and haring is the lowest part of that bar now. There was a time when if Haring was a shoe in every game but not now.

People get taken in  by a bit of composure on the ball and an occasional cross field pass and think we have the greatest midfielder in the world. Haring is by no means the worst player we have had and has had some great games for us but at a time when we had a poorer quality squad. Ive said before he points a good game and looks busy without imposing himself loses his man and gets turned too often, this is typically when he picks up his bookings.

15 minutes ago, jackal said:

Maybe because 2/3 of Harings games he has played at home. Since Devlin came into the squad haring has played 8 home games and 4 away. Devlin may have played more away games than home we have a better goals for when Devlin plays maybe its about the teams he has played against

Devlin tackles more than double Haring but Devlin fouls more for a similar yellow card rate , Passes 50% more, has a slightly better pass %, more key passes, more shots on goal and on target, intercepts more than double, dribbles more, crosses more and surprisingly wins more ariel challenges.

Haring plays more long balls usually onto the other wing but generally a safe pass to a player in space, loses the ball slightly less in possession and makes more clearances.

The bar has risen at the club and haring is the lowest part of that bar now. There was a time when if Haring was a shoe in every game but not now.

People get taken in  by a bit of composure on the ball and an occasional cross field pass and think we have the greatest midfielder in the world. Haring is by no means the worst player we have had and has had some great games for us but at a time when we had a poorer quality squad. Ive said before he points a good game and looks busy without imposing himself loses his man and gets turned too often, this is typically when he picks up his bookings.

And people get taken in by a cheeky smile and running about really fast.

29 minutes ago, briever said:

And people get taken in by a cheeky smile and running about really fast.

Some people get taken in by long hair and a hairband.

Devlin is top or near the top in the parts of his game he asked to contribute across the league not just at Hearts. Haring on the other hand not so far but his hair looks great.

Big John Colquhoun
29 minutes ago, jackal said:

Some people get taken in by long hair and a hairband.

Devlin is top or near the top in the parts of his game he asked to contribute across the league not just at Hearts. Haring on the other hand not so far but his hair looks great.

Couldn’t really care less if he’s sporting an Eamon Bannon comb over or a mohican!

Bottom line, Beni and Devlin are not a midfield two, they do the same job and have the same limitations. Give Haring and Beni a go to see if they compliment each other’s games. Seen plenty of Devlin and Beni to know they don’t. That or change formation and try the three of them in the centre.

Haring is an understated player who spoils attacks for the opposition yet invariably wins balls and sets up our more creative guys. To bring him on last night in injury time was daft when he brings more to the table than Cochrane and Woodburn who came on earlier (yes I know different types of player) He has been our most solid/consistent guy for weeks now and last night RN should have fitted him in somewhere....please dont tell me for example that he is not better in the team than for example Halliday. He can even turn his hand to playing centre half if need be. And no Im not his dad !!!

I also dont care about how they look but that was in response to a previous posters feeble attempt at why Devlin plays.

Cammy and Beni are similar but even then Cammy wins more tackles and intercepts more than Beni but no one is asking for Beni to be dropped for haring. Beni and Cammy are the 2 top winning tacklers for possession in the league. If you put Haring in before any of them the amount of tackles and possession winning tackles drops. I think Beni should be looking to play the passes as he has shown glimpses he can do it, he may just not have the confidence to try them which is the problem.

Our problem is distribution when we have won the ball back and Haring isnt the answer to that either. The decision for the manager is keep the same similar mids that have us in 3rd and 12 points clear while winning the ball in the middle of the park or drop one of them and add Haring who does less of the things expected of a midfielder than the other 2 as I stated earlier.

I would stick Smith/McEneff in there or bring McKay central before playing Haring.

We also have no idea what instructions Robbie is giving to the players for the match.

Edited by jackal