Woodburn - home for just after Xmas?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

31 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Trouble is, nobody seems to know where to play him. He is not a striker or a winger and doesnt seem to have the passing ability of a number 10.  I wonder where he thinks he should play. Think he was a striker when younger but doesnt look like one now.

At first, I thought he just needed to sharpen up and adjust to the quicker pace here but he has had enough chances for us all to see that he cant or wont adjust.

He is not one for chasing lost causes but that seems to how Neilson deploys him. Plays a lot better when he has players making moves around him.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agentjambo

• HeartsandonlyHearts

• rudi must stay

• daavojaay

10 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

I think this is probably right but he needs to give us more regardless. The set up today was all wrong and he’s being played a position he doesn’t look comfortable. In saying all that his attitude today was awful and being utilised incorrectly wasn’t an excuse for losing the ball 3/4x in the spell he was on the park. I was happy to see him subbed after 25 mins.

I still think there’s a place for him in the squad but my patience is running out. Shape up or piss off back to Liverpool’s reserves.

I would have been happy for anyone to be subbed after 25mins tbf.

Woodburn was poor in possession today, but was not alone in that.

He seems to be caught in two minds at times to push forward and close down or sit deeper.

There is a player there, but do we set up to get best out of him?

Bench him and bring him on in the 2nd halves of games when we seem to be more attacking.

Gary Harkins was decent on the ball as well, it doesn't make you a great player.

We've tried him a variety of positions...the best I've seen him was out wide and using the pace and pulling power of Ginnelly to create space centrally.

File under meh. All depends on who our scouts and stat men have identified.

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

He is not one for chasing lost causes but that seems to how Neilson deploys him. Plays a lot better when he has players making moves around him.

Interesting comment, can you tell me other than Dundee United which games are you referring to in his career that you’ve seen this? 

Because to me, over his time at hearts, today especially, he looked a player that couldn’t get a game at Blackpool / Oxford. But you seem to be insinuating that neilsons the problem. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

12 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

£10 million. You know he wasn't, one before and consecutively for years yes 

Wow…😂😂😂

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Wow…😂😂😂

Probably is worth £10 million in today's market. Plays for Liverpool as an attacking midfielder. People are forgetting that

22 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

No idea how he started today after his performance at CP...

Indeed.  Surely Robbie cannot persist with him after today's performance.  I can't see how he could justify starting a player against the huns who he had to hook after 25 minutes against Livi.

40 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Trouble is, nobody seems to know where to play him. He is not a striker or a winger and doesnt seem to have the passing ability of a number 10.  I wonder where he thinks he should play. Think he was a striker when younger but doesnt look like one now.

At first, I thought he just needed to sharpen up and adjust to the quicker pace here but he has had enough chances for us all to see that he cant or wont adjust.

Reminds me a bit of Sean Clare in that regard. Don't think he's ever going to amount to much.

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Probably is worth £10 million in today's market. Plays for Liverpool as an attacking midfielder. People are forgetting that

Hope Mr Klopp hasn’t been watching footage of him then.

10 minutes ago, Gambo said:

He's not our player and as he's not prepared to give 100% WHEREVER he's playing he can catch the next train back to Liverpool afaic. 

Nice the way you try to criticise RN for Woodburns inadequacy 😏

That was a brave decision from RN today and I've no doubt we would have lost if he'd kept Billy Big Baws on the field. 

He'll end up league 1  if he doesn't apply himself soon. 

At the start of the season I really did like him and thought he offered a lot. His performances do appear to be declining unfortunately. 

58 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Good player  not utilised correctly.

You could be right but apart from one game he hasn’t looked a good player whilst with us. Heard he wants back home immediately. 
Prima Donna who doesn’t accept  being justifiably hooked after 25 mins. 

53 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

As he’s out of contract at the end of the season I’d hope our management team are in his ear regarding his performances. If he’s not showing it for a club of our stature, how will he ever show it at Liverpool or more importantly how will he ever make it at a decent level? 

I agree with you. You can see he’s an unbelievable talent but there’s something missing. Is it what you’ve mentioned? Who knows. But it needs addressed. 

He probably has a club lined up for next summer and if he can get out of the loan deal with Hearts he could probably join them in January. 

Send him home to his family for Christmas and I think we would have our MoM in him for the game against the rodents at the rodentry.

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

You could be right but apart from one game he hasn’t looked a good player whilst with us. Heard he wants back home immediately. 
Prima Donna who doesn’t accept  being justifiably hooked after 25 mins. 

If he keeps playing the same way as he has been of late, he will be getting his wish. Followed by a loan to some team in League 2. 

InternationalJambo
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He probably has a club lined up for next summer and if he can get out of the loan deal with Hearts he could probably join them in January. 

I’d imagine you aren’t far off the mark. 

Had high hopes for him but based on minutes on pitch and contributions I would cut losses and look elsewhere. Had a great opportunity with us and hasn't taken it and he's gonna find it's all downhill from here.. Shame coz he has some talent. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
52 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Barrie McKay seems to be able to make things happen with the same shit players around him Gambo.

And he is not being utilised incorrectly - he effectively has a completely free role.

I was Uber excited when I heard we had secured his services and I do think he has talent thought he would kick on after his 2 goals against united , was reading his stats prior to those 2 goals he has only ever scored 1 other goal at club level for Oxford unt was totally shocked 

14 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Barrie McKay seems to be able to make things happen with the same shit players around him Gambo.

And he is not being utilised incorrectly - he effectively has a completely free role.

This on Woodburns performance and not being used correctly

I would keep purely for the reason, our squad is still rather thin, we are not in a position where we can afford to ship players out unless we have a definite better replacement in situ 

2 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Doesn't look interested. Clearly has the talent but if he doesn't have the heart then bye. Haring was brilliant when he came on.

Seems to have plenty of skill and talent.

Started of great when he arrived, he either has a short attention span, a bad attitude or Robbie has managed to coach every ounce of skill out of him.

Toronto Jambo

Doesn't add enough to the team. I've been extremely disappointed with his final ball, his shots haven't been good enough and he has opted to shoot too many times when the pass was a better option (Even though I recognize we need shoot more often!). I'd rather have McEneff and Ginnelly starting

Free up space and bring someone else in.

Edited by Toronto Jambo

Obviously got talent, but hasn’t shown enough for me . It’s another case of he plays for Liverpool so must be good etc etc.

See a lot of comments along the lines of he is being played out of position, RN doesn’t know we’re to play him, to be honest if he was good enough that wouldn’t matter. He looks disinterested at time and effort is poor at times. I would send him back at Christmas 

2 hours ago, benny said:

Not sure he has the talent if I'm being honest.

From what I’ve seen, he does have the talent, but doesn’t seem interested enough in playing for a Hearts to actually use it.

Waste of a jersey - we are a man down when he is on the pitch.

Would much rather have Haring or Walker on the pitch who would both run through brick walls for the team - Woodburn wouldnae run through a wet tissue

Pasquale for King

Was really happy we got him, he has good quality and can hit a shot. Just doesn’t seem to produce it enough, especially when the game is frenetic. Seems to come onto a game when it’s opening up around the hour mark but because he’s done nothing by then he’s taken off. 
Doesn’t look like the manager fancies him to be honest, or that he likes the manager if his attitude when subbed is anything to go by, which is fair enough. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him go back in January. 

I think we can all see why his career has hit the skids, there's definitely talent, but the correct attitude is missing. Reminds me of someone very recently who split opinion....

Not good enough for us. The first few mins we broke away and he had two options Boyce or McIneff. He passed it 5 years to a livi player. Sums up his contribution since he has arrived. Head is up his arse. Send him back would rather play walker who would probably score more goals 

We should have probably started with the team we ended up with after 30 mins with Haring instead of Woodburn and Moore instead of Smith. 

I don't understand why we keep playing Smith at RWB as he is hopeless going forward. Just as I think playing Woodburn on the left is probably not his best position either. I think he would do better in a more central position, like an attacking midfielder in a 4231.

1 hour ago, Archie White said:

I've said before, he thinks he's better than he actually is. Gives the impression this league is beneath him.

Yep.

He can't start against Rangers if he's that slow in possession.

Almost certainly would have been better or at least no worse with Jamie Walker in his place over most of the games this season. 

He has really disappointed.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

None of his loans have been positive. Perhaps not got what it takes to be a successful pro. 

Maybe the penny will drop later on in his career like Tony Watt now. Not a non Trier as such, the world just seems to be passing him by

I don’t think him getting hooked was purely down to him being poor because if that was the case I could’ve have been anyone of multiple players during the first half. The change was a tactical one and a good one at that

HeartsandonlyHearts
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I was thinking along those line earlier today.

He’s definitely not returning to Liverpool on a new contract. So his agent has to be shopping him around. Probably since the day he signed with us. He has some skills but there’s something missing with his attitude and commitment game to game.

Maybe this will be the kick up the butt he needs.

53 minutes ago, Arfur said:

Waste of a jersey - we are a man down when he is on the pitch.

Would much rather have Haring or Walker on the pitch who would both run through brick walls for the team - Woodburn wouldnae run through a wet tissue

As are Ginelly and Gnando.  Wouldn’t be disappointed if all three left in January. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I don't see a lack of effort from him. I see a guy that wants to make things happen on the ball 

Me too. 

He's not that effective tho. 

McKay commits opposition players and picks passes out. He's very slick and causes the opposition a constant problem. 

GMS, can go mising but gets involved in key moments. 

Woodburn for me is a bit like Tony Watt was for us,looked a good player in general  but not really effective in any position. 

For me it Would depend if he's costing a lot and if we can get better in January to replace him with. 

If not, I'd keep him and I'm sure he'll contribute over the season. 

People want him to be good, I want him to be good, he's really not very good. 

Templeton  was better,  Nicholson was better. They were both abouti our ability level. We deemed both surplus to requirements. Send him back to Liverpool and improve that position 

Edited by db211833