SFA chief admits Kyogo was offside

bmeikle

22 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's probably the decision that will force the SFA/SPFL to bring in VAR. Whether that is going to be a good thing or merely adds an extra layer of incompetency is for another debate. 

It's hard to say it but I do think in general there needs to be more respect for refs. They obviously don't help themselves with ridiculous decisions but who among us would do their job?

I think the officiating is better now than what it has been in the past but it still isn't at the standard it needs to be and that is probably because these guys are part time and there is no one wanting to do it so the pool of refs is small. 

I don’t know why… but I feel the officiating was better last season, in the championship compared to this season. Don’t really know for certain if it is or not…. But I’ve been angrier more , this season, with some of the refereeing performances. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taffin

• niblick1874

• part_time_jambo

• merrymac

3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I don’t know why… but I feel the officiating was better last season, in the championship compared to this season. Don’t really know for certain if it is or not…. But I’ve been angrier more , this season, with some of the refereeing performances. 

The problem is that referees don’t get to Grade 1 on ability - they get there on which referees association they are in. It’s been that way for years.  Folk trying to get to the top in refereeing from outside three west coast associations have little or no chance. The whole system is weighted towards the West Coast and Glasgow in particular. It’s a sham.

15 hours ago, OTT said:

I'd like us to go after Mulvanny tbh. Like fight tooth and nail to take his refereeing badges. 

He saw it and opted not to flag either because he's a Celtic fan, or because he didn't have the spine to stand up to the abuse that would have been directed his way. 

Either way he has no right to officiate another game. 

If its known that failing to do their job correctly results in the victimised club absolutely gunning for them and getting them sacked as an official (or at least banned from Premiership matches) they might think twice. 

Agree - although we would no doubt get hammered by the SFA for bringing the game into disrepute.

This is not far off the level of cheating we saw in Mikogate.

The elephant in the room with all of this is that no one in the media has come out and said that it is the OF who more often than not benefit from these "errors". Or at the very least, that is the perception.

27 minutes ago, Boris said:

The elephant in the room with all of this is that no one in the media has come out and said that it is the OF who more often than not benefit from these "errors". Or at the very least, that is the perception.

The media here are a joke. Seekers of truth and justice?  Hilarious, most of them are fully in the back pocket of one or other of the Glasgow tramps. 

54 minutes ago, Deevers said:

The problem is that referees don’t get to Grade 1 on ability - they get there on which referees association they are in. It’s been that way for years.  Folk trying to get to the top in refereeing from outside three west coast associations have little or no chance. The whole system is weighted towards the West Coast and Glasgow in particular. It’s a sham.

Accurate summing up

but nobody questions it?

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Probably because they are actually reffing what they see

no underlying agenda to worry about

Hackney Hearts
19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

If they have possession 

So when GMS tripped himself up, if he'd decided to scream in agony and clutch his hamstring - should that have been an uncontested drop ball to Hearts around the penalty spot?

3 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

So when GMS tripped himself up, if he'd decided to scream in agony and clutch his hamstring - should that have been an uncontested drop ball to Hearts around the penalty spot?

It is crazy.

No faith in the match officials, not a new thing. The Referees a ******* has been sung for decades for a reason.

Edited by A.JAMBO

11 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Probably because they are actually reffing what they see

no underlying agenda to worry about

Difficult not to feel this way… you try to be level headed about these sort of things, but the fact this is probably the first reason we think of, is really quite sad and speaks volumes about our game in Scotland… or at least, the way it’s run. 

1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Difficult not to feel this way… you try to be level headed about these sort of things, but the fact this is probably the first reason we think of, is really quite sad and speaks volumes about our game in Scotland… or at least, the way it’s run. 

It’s been going on for too long to always be a genuine mistake

i get the uglies attack more so they will get more decisions but it’s not about the amount of decisions it’s about the important borderline ones that always go their way when it matters

OTT summed it up in what other country would something like 80-90% of grade 1 officials come from 3 associations located in and around Glasgow and it’s not an anomaly it’s the norm !

FFS

There is not that much difference between this thread and the same kind of thread that would be on here when they cheated to give Rangers that Penalty all those years ago. 

This place is dripping with, and purposely pushing, cowardice dressed up as pragmatism. It is rotten to the core with it. What was JKB, is now SRB. 🤢

Heart of Midlothian fc supporters own Heart of Midlothian fc

Heart of Midlothian fc, along with others, are looking at how to fix different aspects of Scottish football at this moment in time. So we are told.

Heart of Midlothian fc are holding votes at this moment. 

Stop fawning over them.

Holed their feet to the fire FFS. 

2 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

FFS

There is not that much difference between this thread and the same kind of thread that would be on here when they cheated to give Rangers that Penalty all those years ago. 

This place is dripping with, and purposely pushing, cowardice dressed up as pragmatism. It is rotten to the core with it. What was JKB, is now SRB. 🤢

Heart of Midlothian fc supporters own Heart of Midlothian fc

Heart of Midlothian fc, along with others, are looking at how to fix different aspects of Scottish football at this moment in time. So we are told.

Heart of Midlothian fc are holding votes at this moment. 

Stop fawning over them.

Holed their feet to the fire FFS. 

Did that sound meaningful in your head?

It has always been thus, linesmen are influenced by the hostile OF support baying for blood.  The near side linesman should have seen Kyoto straying offside, but didn't.  More evidence for VAR, but will the VAR operator be neutral.

I doubt VAR would have picked up Andy Davis bias.

Edited by Tasavallan

36 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

It has always been thus, linesmen are influenced by the hostile OF support baying for blood.  The near side linesman should have seen Kyoto straying offside, but didn't.  More evidence for VAR, but will the VAR operator be neutral.

I doubt VAR would have picked up Andy Davis bias.

Pragmatism? 

On 04/12/2021 at 15:53, Jambos_1874 said:

Credit where credit is due for coming out and admitting the error (albeit in behalf of Madden) and for highlighting it with the referee. I was there on Thursday and it was tight but it doesn't make it any easier and is extremely frustrating. If the same incident occurred at say Fir Park, I think there is a chance that wouldn't be given. 

He is always offside if you watch the frame sequence,never onside even before the ball was crossed.The very tight speeches only to make it look good,bunch of cheats.

3 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Anyone remember shaun maloney tripping over himself about 15 yrs ago and the ref bursting himself to point to the spot?

18 minutes ago, ford donald said:

He is always offside if you watch the frame sequence,never onside even before the ball was crossed.The very tight speeches only to make it look good,bunch of cheats.

True.

ToadKiller Dog
20 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Anyone remember shaun maloney tripping over himself about 15 yrs ago and the ref bursting himself to point to the spot?

2005/06 the arse Brines sending off Fyssas when we led 2-1 against Celtic ending up losing 3-2 ending our chances of catching them ?.

That was such a bad decision the panel rescinded it .

Sure Brines apologised 10 years later ,guily conscience. 

1 minute ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

2005/06 the arse Brines sending off Fyssas when we led 2-1 against Celtic ending up losing 3-2 ending our chances of catching them ?.

That was such a bad decision the panel rescinded it .

Sure Brines apologised 10 years later ,guily conscience. 

Jeez , it’s all coming back🤮 , absolutely nothing changes 🤮, took me donkeys to forget ,fxxckxn hate building up again 🤮=🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃.     🥃.   CXXXS the lot of them

20 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

If hearts had scored an offside goal would we ever be given it in Glasgow? 

if a hearts player had pulled up would play have been stopped.

on both occasions the answer is no.. and that the real issue 

Obviously I get your point and it could be very true.

I think it’s more down to the officials being useless rather than anything else.

I want VAR in order to get rid of linesmen. They only have 2 things to do, throw-ins & offsides, and yet they make far more big mistakes than the referees...

Robbie called Crawford Allan on Friday and was told he was on annual leave until the 10th of December. RN not happy that Allan, after blanking him, appeared in the media on Saturday. 

14 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Robbie called Crawford Allan on Friday and was told he was on annual leave until the 10th of December. RN not happy that Allan, after blanking him, appeared in the media on Saturday. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/robbie-neilson-contacts-sfa-referee-chief-as-hearts-update-on-liam-boyce-and-michael-smith-injuries-3483043?amp

On 04/12/2021 at 22:10, section s heart said:

Spot on.

Given the current spread of officials, heavily weighted to Glasgow and Lanarkshire, Crawford Allan should be challenged on what he is doing to correct the imbalance. Or he should be going public on the issue without being challenged.

Your point about officials living in amongst arse cheek fans has to be a factor. People locally know their allegiances. Regardless of us having a grudge over Thursday's decisions, the likes of Madden and Mulvanney will feel more heat from whichever side of the OF they are deemed to have indirectly upset. 

Can you imagine this ref giving a penalty against TRFC at Ibrox, for example…

823E5C36-D50C-4D40-9FA6-3989E784AE44.jpeg

On 05/12/2021 at 10:08, part_time_jambo said:

Why do people keep saying it was tight? Kyogo was offside for 5 seconds before he scored and at least a yard off when he did. It's not like he made a darting run from an offside position at the last second making it difficult to judge.

You can't be offside for more than a split second. 

He was offside, the linesman should have got or correct and there was no probably about it. It was however tight imo.

Forever Hearts
30 minutes ago, Taffin said:

He was offside, the linesman should have got or correct and there was no probably about it. It was however tight imo.

It really wasn't. 

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Says it all.

We all hear how there shoud be respect for officials but they and the beaks show ZERO respect to clubs and fans. Wee shits in suits looking down their noses at talented sportsmen. They have jobs (or big income in case of refs) because of this game and us fans and should realise that.

Professionalising it is the only solution but huge challenges to do that

part_time_jambo
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

IMO you are wrong.

3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

It really wasn't. 

The still imo look tight.

8 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

IMO you are wrong.

You can only be offside at the point the ball is played, the 4 or 5 seconds before hand is irrelevant imo. Happy to agree to disagree though 👍

I saw Martindale was making a fuss about an incorrect off-side call against one of his players yesterday. 

No doubt the SFA/media will say that is a sign of these things 'evening up over a season'. 

Despite the fact that Souttar cleared the ball anyway, so it's not as if they had a goal chopped off!

Forever Hearts
37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The still imo look tight.

You can only be offside at the point the ball is played, the 4 or 5 seconds before hand is irrelevant imo. Happy to agree to disagree though 👍

Are we looking at the same still? He's clearly offside, it's not even close. 

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Are we looking at the same still? He's clearly offside, it's not even close. 

No idea. The one I saw, it was tight, to the extent I'm not surprised a lino got it wrong. He was still clearly offside though.

Gimme an H...

Just now, Taffin said:

No idea. The one I saw, it was tight, to the extent I'm not surprised a lino got it wrong. He was still clearly offside though.

"Clearly offside" but you're not surprised a professional linesman got it wrong?

Something not right there...

Just now, Gimme an H... said:

"Clearly offside" but you're not surprised a professional linesman got it wrong?

Something not right there...

Well, you're either inside, or you're offside so when looking at a still it's clear he's offside.

Linesmen don't look at still images though.

That's the still I'd seen on the match day thread

9402EDAD-BF1C-4DF3-AE1F-3C486D9917EF.thumb.jpeg.fb63e75d254cadb1eda0d7a5968d858f.jpeg

Gimme an H...
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Well, you're either inside, or you're offside so when looking at a still it's clear he's offside.

9402EDAD-BF1C-4DF3-AE1F-3C486D9917EF.thumb.jpeg.fb63e75d254cadb1eda0d7a5968d858f.jpeg

Still don't know how you can call that tight...The ball is clearly further away from the grass cut line than any part of Kyogo's body that can score a goal.

A professional linesman who has kept up with play and is looking along that line should never be getting that wrong. 

Forever Hearts
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You think that's tight? He's about a yard offside and the linesman couldn't have a better view of it. 

Ex member of the SaS
23 hours ago, ford donald said:

Said this on another thread, surely he should have been flagged for returning ( or trying to ) from an offside position never mind for the actual offside?

Also said on another thread no team will be allowed to break the duopoly and third is the best anyone will get. So we can expect similar if not worse decisions yet to come.

7 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

You think that's tight? He's about a yard offside and the linesman couldn't have a better view of it. 

totally agree. when watching it live at the time my first reaction was - 'offside'

very very poor decision. I don't think even a corrupt VAR set up would be able to blag it's way out of still giving the goal if referred.

25 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The linesman was always seeing Kyogo ahead of play thoughout the incident.

He was never nearly in an onside position.

It was an easy call.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

The linesman was always seeing Kyogo ahead of play thoughout the incident.

He was never nearly in an onside position.

It was an easy call.

Exactly - and this was supposedly an “elite” official wearing a FIFA badge. The man was obviously offside - the only real question is why he didn’t call it.

HeartsandonlyHearts
15 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Exactly - and this was supposedly an “elite” official wearing a FIFA badge. The man was obviously offside - the only real question is why he didn’t call it.

I think we all know why he didn’t call it. 
It’s all to do with the color of his underwear.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Agree. It's not even close, it was clearly miles off side.

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Agree. It's not even close, it was clearly miles off side.

My Celtic mate said that their forums have a different picture with a line drawn on it which makes it look as if he is onside. Would love to see such concave photoshopped effort - I wonder if it is as pixelated as Rudy's spit?

2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

3 hours ago, Gimme an H... said:

Still don't know how you can call that tight...The ball is clearly further away from the grass cut line than any part of Kyogo's body that can score a goal.

A professional linesman who has kept up with play and is looking along that line should never be getting that wrong. 

A yard?!? It's like 10cm tops in that still. Draw a line down from his head and then across to the ball. Not much in it imo.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

A yard?!? It's like 10cm tops in that still. Draw a line down from his head and then across to the ball. Not much in it imo.

Hardly 10cm. He was clearly offside. An official wearing a FIFA badge should have been more than capable of making the correct decision. That’s why they are classed as elite and pick-up a hefty match fee.  If has been suggested that particular gentlemen was at one time a season ticket holder at Parkhead, then sorry but for me this adds more and more weight to argument for anyone who has had any affiliation for a club being disqualified from officiating in any match that they are playing in.  Not rocket science and takes away suggestion of impropriety. That of course won’t suit the SFA.

Watching Richarlison’s goal being ruled offside by VAR tonight knowing how last Thursday’s decision played out for us really boils my piss. 

3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Hardly 10cm. He was clearly offside. An official wearing a FIFA badge should have been more than capable of making the correct decision. That’s why they are classed as elite and pick-up a hefty match fee.  If has been suggested that particular gentlemen was at one time a season ticket holder at Parkhead, then sorry but for me this adds more and more weight to argument for anyone who has had any affiliation for a club being disqualified from officiating in any match that they are playing in.  Not rocket science and takes away suggestion of impropriety. That of course won’t suit the SFA.

Agreed, i meant 10cm max. Linesman still should have got it right but didn't.