Callum Patterson

the Hearts way

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, SM Sheffield said:

Whilst it is true his wages will be zero at the end of his contract he will no doubt be accustomed to his current earnings and looking for as much as possible. That is human nature. We could end up being the best offer I agree but I wouldn’t want to move from my current earnings to a quarter of what I am currently on.

FYI - Paterson has played a few games for Wednesday at RWB recently 

Fair enough and that’s good to hear. I am in a bit of a minority but, i always felt that he was just getting to grips and making that position his own when he left here, if he’d just extended here and waited a couple of seasons, Scotland would have had the RB we’ve been missing. He would have got a club and continued his career there. For me like too many players he was in a rush to get himself paid and went south before he was ready to really perform at a higher level in his position. So that was why Warnock said he couldn’t defend and started chucking him in a CF role. Callum was working hard on his defensive side at Hearts and he got better at the defending each season under neilson, he already had the natural attacking qualities. Could have been a great all round full back. And that potential is still there. One thing, IMO, he will be looking at John Souttar getting back in the international squad with a certain amount of envy IMO. As for the earnings that’s the way it goes in football, you’re worth as much as someone is willing to pay you. Are the clubs going to be queueing up to pay him 10-15 grand a week based on his 2 seasons at Wednesday? I doubt it

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the Hearts way

• Bongo 1874

• Spellczech

• Aussie Jambo

8 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Never said it was all I said is he’s 27 and ‘getting’ to the end of his career. I think he’s a cracking player. If we could get him on a free transfer or swap for GMS. 😂

All goals in video are him playing as CF

RWB, I'm not sure he is good enough nor mobile enough, nowadays.

Seymour M Hersh

I'm not sure I'd bring him back. Has he made a position his own yet?  Where would people expect him to fit in and who would make way for him? 

6 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Would literally be the perfect(and needed) replacement for Michael Smith.

How many times has he played in that position since he left Hearts.

Just now, benny said:

How many times has he played in that position since he left Hearts.

How many times did Rudi play as anything other than a LB away from Hearts?

1 minute ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

How many times did Rudi play as anything other than a LB away from Hearts?

Aye he is in the same class as Rudi.😄

Just now, Ibrahim Tall said:

He’s not, which is why I quite clearly didn’t say that.

Rudi had the talent and technique to play midfield.Something Callum has not.

As I said a likeable laddie with a heart of a lion but limited football skills who has been average at best recently.

9 hours ago, cookieboy said:

In which position is he better than what we have? aye he was a good player but no sure where you are playing him ? HHGH

Right Back?

13 minutes ago, benny said:

As I said a likeable laddie with a heart of a lion but limited football skills who has been average at best recently.

Where exactly did I suggest Calum did have the ‘talent and technique to play midfield’?  You’re arguing with yourself here..

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm not sure I'd bring him back. Has he made a position his own yet?  Where would people expect him to fit in and who would make way for him? 

Obvious one would be Smith. but Smith and Boyce showed on Thursday why we need them for the OF matches.

8 hours ago, Section Q said:

Woodburn is a luxury for us. Definitely a polished player but he's used to playing/training with world class players and despite moments of class he doesn't appear to gel. He's not the first player to arrive at a club and not live up to expectations. Remember the next big thing keeper we had on loan from Man U....?

Wouldn't be too troubled if he was recalled by Liverpool in January. 

This.

3 hours ago, SM Sheffield said:

Whilst it is true his wages will be zero at the end of his contract he will no doubt be accustomed to his current earnings and looking for as much as possible. That is human nature. We could end up being the best offer I agree but I wouldn’t want to move from my current earnings to a quarter of what I am currently on.

Smith must have been around 27 when he came to us, and CP would be a good replacement for him if contract timings were right next season. He would also be a real asset at corners and free kicks into the box.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Would not take back. 

Bet you were one of the ones saying not to take Craig Gordon back when he was at Celtic too? 

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, benny said:

Forgetting the fact he is a cult hero and you can’t have enough of them. The man was and would be absolute beast up here, can play multiple positions and a massive goal threat. His physicality will create space for others to do their stuff..

Michael Smith is finished, absolutely finished.. 

some players just work at some clubs, but this aside, you are judging him on Wednesday and not the time he spent at Cardiff. Where he also became a cult hero.. their fans were far from happy when they let him go

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I don't think he's ever been underrated by our fans, was a big fans favourite if anything. Loved him when he was with us and have always looked out for how he's getting on.

You haven’t been on JKB long then! - but then this website may. Or be true my representative of Hearts fans to be fair.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Good player for us at the time, wouldn’t be unhappy with him coming back and wouldn’t be disappointed if he didn’t.

Skacel and Gordon returning are completely different stories, they’re two of the best players to have played for Hearts. 

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Definitely, we seem to be missing him big time. Would he leave Sheffield Wednesday but? He’s 27 and getting to the end of his career. You never know. Great player. Would love to see him play for us again. 

27 at the end of his career? He is entering his peak years ffs 😆

Some Hearts fans are bonkers some times. Talking about a guy who has recently played 27 games in the top league in the world, over 100 appearances in the English Championship, scored goals every season, mostly from RWB and is only 27. Not to mention he knows the club well and is extremely versatile.

For all of the above he won’t come to us,  but madness to say you wouldn’t take him on a free.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Some Hearts fans are bonkers some times. Talking about a guy who has recently played 27 games in the top league in the world, over 100 appearances in the English Championship, scored goals every season, mostly from RWB and is only 27. Not to mention he knows the club well and is extremely versatile.

For all of the above he won’t come to us,  but madness to say you wouldn’t take him on a free.

In a nutshell. Strolls into every single SPL team outside Rangers and Celtic.. 

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

27 at the end of his career? He is entering his peak years ffs 😆

Obviously an Oz thing 

Was always a big fan of Paterson , with reservations . Probably better RWB than RB but still not sure if either position is best for him . He had some amazing stat in England re winning headers . CH or CF ?

Captain Lithuania
37 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

In a nutshell. Strolls into every single SPL team outside Rangers and Celtic.. 

I disagree. I think he gets in to both of their teams. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Paterson’s current contract was sneaked under the table by Warnock who bypassed the Cardiff City board and went straight to the owner. Wednesday took over the contract as Cardiff needed him off the wage bill.

He won’t get anything close to what he’s on just now but he’s a clever guy and he’ll know that. He’ll have offers down south so the only way he’ll end up back at Tynecastle is if he wants to move back to Scotland.

Last time I looked he was playing as part of the back 3 at Wednesday (don’t know if it was because of injuries to others).

Would be a fantastic replacement for Michael Smith imo but will only happen if he wants it (we won’t and shouldn’t break the wage structure for him).

Looks to me that his Career is sort of stagnating and at a crossroad. If he’s just happy playing and getting a good wage then he’ll see his career out down south in championship of league 1 as plenty clubs will take him. If he’s still got any ambition and happy with the money he’s made then Hearts are the obvious choice to get himself back  playing regular and try nail down a position with a possibility of getting noticed for national team again. 

5 hours ago, SM Sheffield said:

Paterson would only join us if 1. He was top earner. 

2.  He had incentives that we were going to play in Europe, and challenge both Celtic and Rangers in league. 

3. If Robbie wasn't manager. 

15 hours ago, the Hearts way said:

Would have him back in a heart beat and better than what we have at the moment!

Thoughts? 

Onwards and upwards HHGH.  

Callum one T. 🤔

9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

2.  He had incentives that we were going to play in Europe, and challenge both Celtic and Rangers in league. 

Was their a fall out with Neilson?

14 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

1- pish

You saying he would demand to be on more money than the current Scotland no1?

2-pish

We are aiming for this anyway and would be the main selling point to any potential signing...we wouldn't need yo incentives this to Paterson

3-pishy pishy pish pants

Just because you hate Robbie does not mean everyone else does 

For what it's worth I think Patersons strength, drive, determination and energy would be a perfect fit for our current set up...but can we get a better technical player for the same cash? 

Obviously forgotten that most of his straightforward passes missed the mark.

Could put in a superb cross - sometimes. 

Goal scorer, yes.

Poor defender!

Edited by colinmaroon

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
14 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

You forget how good he was. 

Some of these goals are a joke. Like you say, people underestimate how good he is technically. Would be a superb signing.

Just now, stevie1874 said:

Was their a fall out with Neilson?

Yes. 

One of the reasons he wouldn't sign a new contract, he went in and questioned how the likes of Juanma, Juwon, and Sammon were on more than him. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Bozi said:

1- pish

2-pish

We are aiming for this anyway and would be the main selling point to any potential signing...we wouldn't need yo incentives this to Paterson

3-pishy pishy pish pants

For what it's worth I think Patersons strength, drive, determination and energy would be a perfect fit for our current set up...but can we get a better technical player for the same cash? 

Aye ask paterson what happened at Easter Road? , and what was said to Juanma and Neilson. 

Just now, Bozi said:

1- pish

2-pish

3-pishy pishy pish pants

1. Yes I am saying that because he is definitely getting paid more than Craig Gordon, at Sheffield Wednesday. 

So what makes you think he wouldn't command to be highest earner, because he knows the club. 

The club shat on him and a few others when offering them pish contracts, yet players like Juwon, Ozturk, Sammon etc were on more. 

Walker didn't sign new deal, Nicholson didn't sign new deal, 

Paterson didn't sign new deal, 

Hickey didn't sign new deal,

Sow didn't sign new deal, 

Souttar hasn't signed new deal? 

2 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I wouldn’t…am I mad?

1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

I wouldn’t…am I mad?

Nope. I think lots of people are thinking Callum Paterson of Hearts, he's not that player anymore. He's been playing Centrehalf and has been utterly woeful in the worst Sheff Wednesday team ever. 

Would be right wing back. Has energy and enthusiasm to get up and down. Can pitch in with couple of goals. Could do with coming back up to get his career going again and not get lost in English lower league's..

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Aye ask paterson what happened at Easter Road? , and what was said to Juanma and Neilson. 

Alright Bongo what happened at Easter Road and what was said to Juanma and Neilson ? 

I'm assuming you know and are seeking attention so let's have it ? 

10 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Alright Bongo what happened at Easter Road and what was said to Juanma and Neilson ? 

I'm assuming you know and are seeking attention so let's have it ? 

Don't , we'll just get more slavers

20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nope. I think lots of people are thinking Callum Paterson of Hearts, he's not that player anymore. He's been playing Centrehalf and has been utterly woeful in the worst Sheff Wednesday team ever. 

👍 He wasn’t good enough to play in the EPL when he left and couldn’t play in this Heart’s side because he isn’t good enough ON the ball. The days of playing for seconds and hitting the channels are gone and these are his only strengths. I don’t want CP or any ‘player’ of his ilk anywhere near Hearts again. 

2 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

👍 He wasn’t good enough to play in the EPL when he left and couldn’t play in this Heart’s side because he isn’t good enough ON the ball. The days of playing for seconds and hitting the channels are gone and these are his only strengths. I don’t want CP or any ‘player’ of his ilk anywhere near Hearts again. 

:spoton:

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes. 

One of the reasons he wouldn't sign a new contract, he went in and questioned how the likes of Juanma, Juwon, and Sammon were on more than him. 

Id imagine he didn’t sign a new contract because he knew West Ham were insterested, then he got injured and then a Championship club pushing for promotion to the EPL came in for him.

People don’t sign or not sign because of Robbie Neislon FFS. Not when that is on offer.

Romanov was a ***** to Rudi and Webster and they both re-signed. Players sign for their best option whoever they like or dislike.  

Bongo - I don’t really get your politicisation of the manager role at hearts. Footballers sign for ***** managers all the time (not that I think Robbie is).

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Id imagine he didn’t sign a new contract because he knew West Ham were insterested, then he got injured and then a Championship club pushing for promotion to the EPL came in for him.

People don’t sign or not sign because of Robbie Neislon FFS. Not when that is on offer.

Romanov was a ***** to Rudi and Webster and they both re-signed. Players sign for their best option whoever they like or dislike.  

Bongo - I don’t really get your politicisation of the manager role at hearts. Footballers sign for ***** managers all the time (not that I think Robbie is).

Think you have you're timelines wrong?. 

The 1st season we went back up 👍, second season he got injured and Neilson left for MK Dons. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes. 

Seems like a question that should have been directed at Levein, not Neilson. He doesn't decide who gets paid what. The business end of that was dealt with by Levein and Budge. Although do agree that Paterson was far and away more valuable to the team than any of those players. Fair do's hindsight, but should be looking after our academy lads better. 

Fair to say Savage is a different character, and may view things differently. My suspicion is Levein is very old school and believes youngsters need to 'pay their dues', i.e not be paid a lot because of their age. Football has moved on and player power has increased massively. IMO it should operate more as a meritocracy, i.e best player, young or old get paid the most because they are most valuable to the team. If journeymen types don't like it, theres the door. all replaceable. 

Folk nit picking about position and technique🤦‍♂️

He's a hard working, athletic and industrious player. What's more he has far more technique than some folk give him due for (some of his volleys and strikes were excellent)

But anyway, more importantly at SPL level he's very effective. Folk really saying they wouldn't take him 🤦‍♂️

Split hairs about where you'd put him all you like, he's a stick on for about 7 goals for starters. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
14 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Think you have you're timelines wrong?. 

The 1st season we went back up 👍, second season he got injured and Neilson left for MK Dons. 

Genuinely don’t understand. You’re saying he didn’t re/sign because of Neilson not me.