It Was 30 Years Ago Today

martoon

Hard to believe but it's 3 decades since that brilliant day at Tynecastle v. Celtic.

It looked like the same old story with Celtic ahead at half time. Early in the second half Henry, with his gravity defying, twist in the air save, kept us in it and what followed was one of the best shed days ever.

Three goals in 20 glorious minutes, mates lost, found, then lost again at each celebration and singing "Always Look on the Bright Side..." solidly for the last 5 minutes.

Can't post a link to the highlights on the phone and would be very grateful if someone could.

What's your memories?

Theme From Sparta F.C.

That makes me feel so old... Hahaha!!

I was standing at the corner of the Shed that day. Fantastic memories. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, martoon said:

Cheers, Carl.

Much obliged.

Welcome

THAT SAVE. I stood next to the Shed just above an old exit so had a clear view of it. Jaw-dropping stuff (as opposed to ball dropping). Loved Henry. 

Салатные палочки

That was some save from Henry Henry. Best bit is the Celtic fans think it's in and after that we went on to pump them.

He had some season. Played a blinder against Hibs that year as well, saved a Brian Hamilton pen IIRC, blasted high and hard and Henry Henry got a hand to it. 

10 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Welcome

THAT SAVE. I stood next to the Shed just above an old exit so had a clear view of it. Jaw-dropping stuff (as opposed to ball dropping). Loved Henry. 

Even from that distance you could see it was out of the ordinary.

Turned that game on its head.

Superb afternoon and, iirc, the first game in a brilliant week: 2-0 @ Aberdeen (which I missed) then 1-0 at Tannadice (which I didn't).

The news Rangers had lost to St. Mirren topped it off. Put us 3 points clear at the top.

Thanks again, bud.

Wasn't that the game where mcnee asked Jordan afterwards if he thought the scoreline flattered us and just replied no? 

For me a lot of games blend into vague memories. But that one is crystal clear. Fabulous game crowned by a lung bursting run from one of my all time favourites, Big Slim. 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

That was some save from Henry Henry. Best bit is the Celtic fans think it's in and after that we went on to pump them.

He had some season. Played a blinder against Hibs that year as well, saved a Brian Hamilton pen IIRC, blasted high and hard and Henry Henry got a hand to it. 

I am sure the Hibs programme had a picture of where Hamilton had put his last penalty and Henry had seen it. 

Салатные палочки
10 minutes ago, Nathan2012 said:

I am sure the Hibs programme had a picture of where Hamilton had put his last penalty and Henry had seen it. 

:laugh2: how Hibs. 

1 hour ago, chubby1973 said:

Wasn't that the game where mcnee asked Jordan afterwards if he thought the scoreline flattered us and just replied no? 

was it not about discipline ? 

The White Cockade

Craig Gordon the best goalie we've had since Cruikie and I love him

but for a lot of us Henry was a real favourite

made some unbelievable saves and was as mad as a box of frogs

Remember watching his debut down at Blyth or South Shields in a pre season friendly

4 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

I think it was.

McNee, clearly gutted, decided to focus on indiscipline, instead of the 3-1 result. Jordan gave him a look of bewilderment then pointed out we had one booking and Celtic 3/4, maybe even 5.

Haven't seen the clip since but that's what I recall.

McNee was, and maybe still is, a fud.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Remember watching his debut down at Blyth or South Shields in a pre season friendly

Henry was a favourite  - fantastic saves and a real character.

Prone to the odd clanger, like most keepers - Hampden SF 88 and Atletico away in 93 spring to mind 

The save in this match from Coyne's header was world class though. I think everybody thought it was a goal as soon as it left his head

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think it was.

McNee, clearly gutted, decided to focus on indiscipline, instead of the 3-1 result. Jordan gave him a look of bewilderment then pointed out we had one booking and Celtic 3/4, maybe even 5.

Haven't seen the clip since but that's what I recall.

McNee was, and maybe still is, a fud.

cheers that's the way I remember it as well 

The Goalscoring Knee
17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Henry was a favourite  - fantastic saves and a real character.

Henry, Henry, give us a wave.

That save and the one up at Tannadice in 86 were quite extraordinary

Carl Fredrickson
27 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Henry was a hero of mine. I mind going down to Blyth for the game. I was still at primary school and was gutted that we didnt go down for the Whitley Bay game too (we used to go on holiday to WB). Blyth didnt have a programme but they gave out team sheets and I was wee enough to still want autographs. IIRC Henry was on the teamlist as Harry Smith. It was a gloriously sunny day and fans were on the pitch during the warm up and again at half time. IIRC we had also signed a load of players that summer. 

To think that Henry was the keeper for Hearts for most of my "growing up" years. Fantastic time to follow Hearts as there was a connection between players and fans. 

The White Cockade
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Henry was a hero of mine. I mind going down to Blyth for the game. I was still at primary school and was gutted that we didnt go down for the Whitley Bay game too (we used to go on holiday to WB). Blyth didnt have a programme but they gave out team sheets and I was wee enough to still want autographs. IIRC Henry was on the teamlist as Harry Smith. It was a gloriously sunny day and fans were on the pitch during the warm up and again at half time. IIRC we had also signed a load of players that summer. 

To think that Henry was the keeper for Hearts for most of my "growing up" years. Fantastic time to follow Hearts as there was a connection between players and fans. 

yeah we stayed in a b and b in Whitley Bay and watched all the games

Thought from his name Henry was English

also wasn't too happy at first as liked Broughie

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

yeah we stayed in a b and b in Whitley Bay and watched all the games

Thought from his name Henry was English

also wasn't too happy at first as liked Broughie

Jimmy Greaves thought he was English too :)

I was still at primary school and relied on my big brother to get a day off work to drive us to Blyth. He drove back and was up at 5am the next morning for work......

John Brough was a great player and again I may be getting mixed up but I am sure Broughie and Bannon represented Scotland U21s which I was excited about. Henry would go on to prove a step up from JB.

kingantti1874

Thanks for that, brilliant memory.brilliant game, iconic kit.  Remember being upset as I picked a bit of the squishy miller homes sponsor off

Pasquale for King

What a team that was, a young McLaren shouting at Levein and Macpherson as they celebrated 😆
Could’ve been 5 no problem. Henry’s best save. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, martoon said:

Even from that distance you could see it was out of the ordinary.

Turned that game on its head.

Superb afternoon and, iirc, the first game in a brilliant week: 2-0 @ Aberdeen (which I missed) then 1-0 at Tannadice (which I didn't).

The news Rangers had lost to St. Mirren topped it off. Put us 3 points clear at the top.

Thanks again, bud.

Don't get many weeks like those. Gary Smith red card and a couple of cracking goals including a Robbo free kick at Pittodrie. 

United was hard work but a cracking end to the week. Ran out of steam after Christmas, many disappointing performances 2nd half of the season 

8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Don't get many weeks like those. Gary Smith red card and a couple of cracking goals including a Robbo free kick at Pittodrie. 

United was hard work but a cracking end to the week. Ran out of steam after Christmas, many disappointing performances 2nd half of the season 

True, SG.

But at full time at Tannadice that day the dream was alive. 😊

The Ultimate Worrier
3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

The penalty save was the following season. Reason I remember is it was my first ever derby, 0-0 at Easter Road.

3 minutes ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

The penalty save was the following season. Reason I remember is it was my first ever derby, 0-0 at Easter Road.

Henry did his bit that day. 

Saved the penalty at that start and near the end when Weir was clean through. 

One of the few derbies during 22 iar that Hibs could/should have won.

The rest are just history rewriting fantasy on their part. 

The Ultimate Worrier
8 minutes ago, martoon said:

Henry did his bit that day. 

Saved the penalty at that start and near the end when Weir was clean through. 

One of the few derbies during 22 iar that Hibs could/should have won.

The rest are just history rewriting fantasy on their part. 

Aye, I thought the poison dwarf was going to score.

Exactly, they are kidding themselves on. Even in the Wayne Foster game which they like to describe as the biggest smash and grab in history. They maybe had a lot of the ball but didn't do that much with it. It just makes it all the sweeter anyway. 🤣

32 minutes ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

Aye, I thought the poison dwarf was going to score.

Exactly, they are kidding themselves on. Even in the Wayne Foster game which they like to describe as the biggest smash and grab in history. They maybe had a lot of the ball but didn't do that much with it. It just makes it all the sweeter anyway. 🤣

We were comfortable until Hibs equalised just before half time.

As you suggest, they really didn't trouble us in the 2nd half. A draw would, probably, have been fair but fitba often isn't.

Gary Mac and Fozzy carved them open and we won it.

My favourite Hibernianism regarding 22 is that "it wiz aw draws".

Total shite and they know it.

:rofl:

The Ultimate Worrier
12 minutes ago, martoon said:

We were comfortable until Hibs equalised just before half time.

As you suggest, they really didn't trouble us in the 2nd half. A draw would, probably, have been fair but fitba often isn't.

Gary Mac and Fozzy carved them open and we won it.

My favourite Hibernianism regarding 22 is that "it wiz aw draws".

Total shite and they know it.

:rofl:

Still one of my favourite goals of all time. It seemed to come out of nothing, then a hush as Fossy ran on to the ball and headed for goal... then bedlam!

Exactly. We had more wins in those 22 games than they had in 22 years.

jimmy the jambo

Sometimes I can’t remember what I done yesterday or even last week,However I can still remember what we sung in the shed that afternoon at half time for the full 15 minutes.

Unfortunately in the pc world of snowflakes we live in, I’m not allowed to repeat it.  😂

ps,

That top was braw 😘

Maroon Sailor
49 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

JJ interview included 

What a prick McNee is. Could never handle anyone having a different opinion from him

How good was Baird

Sure Baird  said one of his biggest regrets was not coming to Scotland sooner as  he never understood how big the game was up here 

Wow.  30 years !!!!! What a game that was. Still remember it like yesterday. It was an amazing atmosphere deep in the shed. Thanks for those who posted the highlights. Superb 

Alex MacDonald
2 hours ago, cookieboy said:

Yes. Celtic had 4 players booked in the first half, including the angelic McStay, and he asked JJ if he felt Hearts were losing their discipline in the first 45. Typical of McNee, despised him but savoured that famous Saturday in ‘91.

millerjames398
7 hours ago, martoon said:

Hard to believe but it's 3 decades since that brilliant day at Tynecastle v. Celtic.

It looked like the same old story with Celtic ahead at half time. Early in the second half Henry, with his gravity defying, twist in the air save, kept us in it and what followed was one of the best shed days ever.

Three goals in 20 glorious minutes, mates lost, found, then lost again at each celebration and singing "Always Look on the Bright Side..." solidly for the last 5 minutes.

Can't post a link to the highlights on the phone and would be very grateful if someone could.

What's your memories?

For me, one of the best days I've had at tynecastle,,,just absolute class👍🏼🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

12 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

For me, one of the best days I've had at tynecastle,,,just absolute class👍🏼🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

I called it "one of the best" shed days in the op but it's quite possibly the best. 👍