Best chippy in Edinburgh when you were wee..

Morgan

My favourite chippy growing up in Abbeyhill in the 1960's was Miele's on the corner of Edina Street and Easter Road, opposite Middleton's pub and next door to the tiffin. Fabulous chips, didn't need salt on them. I always volunteered to go for the chips as the shop had a fabulous mirror on the wall which depicted, in relief, a well-endowed, bare- breasted mermaid. A fine sight for a growing laddie.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Locky

• Tazio

• I P Knightley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jambos are go!

Some good memories reading this thread. Good chippies all over Edinburgh. Now the standard of chips is abysmal across the City. Have they changed the way they cook chips?

Believe it or not, at one time(a very long time ago!)  the chippie in the Calders was really good. Did a cracking tattie fritter when they were all the rage.

As a follow up dessert you could get a paper bag rammed to the gunnels with Mojo chews for about 20p.  Ah, the 80s...😁

Dagger Is Back

L’Alba D’Oro in Henderson Row. Sure they had a shark supper at one stage although I might well have imagined it on a drunken walk back home from town.

The Deep Sea across from the Playhouse was always a good place to start soaking up the ale from a night at the Edinburgh Rock Club. 

7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Never had a chippie when I was wee . We were poor ! 

7E0EC096-00DC-4E7E-9331-7BBD253F0E28.jpeg

We were poor too. I can't remember having anything other than chips from the chippy when I was wee, and that was few and far between.

6 hours ago, William H. Bonney said:

The international on gilmour place. 

Did they not do crinkle cut chips?  I'm sure I can remember blonde twins working there (early 80s).

Just now, Lemongrab said:

We were poor too. I can't remember having anything other than chips from the chippy when I was wee, and that was few and far between.

Did they not do crinkle cut chips?  I'm sure I can remember blonde twins working there (early 80s).

I honestly can’t recall having a chippie until I was an adult ! 

1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

Some good memories reading this thread. Good chippies all over Edinburgh. Now the standard of chips is abysmal across the City. Have they changed the way they cook chips?

Cannae wrap them in newspapers now ruins the flavour.

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

They used to use beef fat I think 

now it’s healthy oil 

one at the bottom of Wardlaw in 60s /70s don’t know it’s name then apart from “the chippy” 

kawasakijambo
2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

L’Alba D’Oro in Henderson Row. Sure they had a shark supper at one stage although I might well have imagined it on a drunken walk back home from town.

The Deep Sea across from the Playhouse was always a good place to start soaking up the ale from a night at the Edinburgh Rock Club. 

They did do shark steak, I had one, not bad but never bought it again. Very pricey chippie aswell.

kawasakijambo

Depends where you stay, when I stayed in Stenhouse it was Vino's on the Cross.

When I stayed in Parkhead, it was the Longstone.

I now stay in Oxgangs, and Merdos and the Chip inn are shite.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Back in the 80s we’d go to the chippy in Currie (the one I’m talking about is not there any more, think it might be an Indian these days.) It was our ‘local’ as Balerno didn’t have its own chippy at that point. I can’t for the life of me remember what its name actually was though. Happy memories.

Getting hungry now :(

13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The Corbie Davidson Mains and Ben Hur in Roseburn

Are you talking nowadays? Was utter ***** when I worked there years ago, must've been in contention for the smallest supper in Edinburgh his portions were that tiny. And the fat bassa sacked me for calling him a fat bassa when I took a day off and my mate who was meant to cover for me never showed up and he took it out on me.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, CostaJambo said:

Are you talking nowadays? Was utter ***** when I worked there years ago, must've been in contention for the smallest supper in Edinburgh his portions were that tiny. And the fat bassa sacked me for calling him a fat bassa when I took a day off and my mate who was meant to cover for me never showed up and he took it out on me.

I'm talking about the 70's but in all honesty I didn't have a lot to compare it with as it was only where we went on the way home after being at the Olde Inn. I only ever bought a poke of chips from there. Same with the Ben Hur in Roseburn. Sometimes got a poke of chips walking home after the match. When I was pre drinking age the only chippy I was ever exposed to (so to speak) was one in Dunbar's West Port when we were on holiday. Mum always cooked dinners for us and we just didn't use the nearest one which would have been at the top of Blackhall near kwikfit.

William H. Bonney
8 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

They did do crinkle cut chips. They were great. 

18 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Jubilee on West Granton Road.

Not for me chips are always too soft and the customer service is terrible that includes the owner waited over 2 hours for a delivery last time I used them in July. 

chester copperpot
16 hours ago, Morgan said:

Something like that.  It sort of depended on where I’d been on any given night.

I liked a smoked sausage supper back then.

:oohmatron:

Fxxx the SPFL

Mario's in Wardlaw Street in the sixties used to get a bag of the batter scrapings for a penny christ knows how many calories were in it but brilliant and a decent chippy but Brattisani's at Haymarket was really good and you could always treat a bird oot there for a sit in.

13 hours ago, obua said:

Cannae wrap them in newspapers now ruins the flavour.

There's a chap on here wraps his in old Pot Noodle cartons.

😁

20 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Jubilee on West Granton Road.

Used to love that chippy when I lived up west pilton green. Another good one was next to The Gunner on Pennywell Road just 5 minutes away. 

Maroon Sailor

Pentland Fry when they just had that bit at the end of the block.

Brattisani's at Haymarket after an away match.

17 hours ago, JALBO said:

Dad always took us to the St Andrews on Porty High Street. He claimed it was the best chippy in Scotland.

Was awful when we moved to Porty in the early 2000's, but was refurbished a few years ago and it does a great fish supper again now.

18 hours ago, Locky said:

Following that Franco's became the go to, next to Drouthy Neebors. Still there now and cheap as, well, chips. Used to get a half pizza supper there for £1.20 up until about 2006. 

I worked at SW in Dalkeith Road for a few years and lived nearby, so a few pints in Drouthy's and a supper from Franco's used to be a regular thing after work. Decent chippy, and definitely was value for money.

When I was a kid, a sit-in chippy at Brattisani's at Haymarket was a treat and I had good memories of the place, so it was a shame when it closed down.

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Used to love that chippy when I lived up west pilton green. Another good one was next to The Gunner on Pennywell Road just 5 minutes away. 

I remember the one up from the Gunner well.  They kept on getting robbed so installed bullet proof glass(or similar material) all the way up to the ceiling, forcing you to get your chips through a wee hatch.

We didn't get treated to a chippy often, but when we did it was magic!

No photo description available.

Edited by Mark_Mywords

50 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Was awful when we moved to Porty in the early 2000's, but was refurbished a few years ago and it does a great fish supper again now.

I worked at SW in Dalkeith Road for a few years and lived nearby, so a few pints in Drouthy's and a supper from Franco's used to be a regular thing after work. Decent chippy, and definitely was value for money.

When I was a kid, a sit-in chippy at Brattisani's at Haymarket was a treat and I had good memories of the place, so it was a shame when it closed down.

Still pretty old school is Franco's. Think it does Pizza's but other than that it's just suppers. Don't think it's been done up since those days either but it's great to see a wee traditional chippy still. Looked at it on Just Eat last night, seems its still decent value.

jambos are go!
3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Mario's in Wardlaw Street in the sixties used to get a bag of the batter scrapings for a penny christ knows how many calories were in it but brilliant and a decent chippy but Brattisani's at Haymarket was really good and you could always treat a bird oot there for a sit in.

It was called The C Star after a team Mario was involved with in the Amateurs. Mario also owned the Empress in Wheatfield and the chippy in Oxgangs. He was a ST holder at Tynecastle.

Incidentally , I remember a predecessor of the C Star that used coal to heat the fryers!

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Not for me chips are always too soft and the customer service is terrible that includes the owner waited over 2 hours for a delivery last time I used them in July. 

I've not lived in Granton since 1990 (since I was wee) so my frame of reference is a bit skewed, but back then the Jubilee was the dug's baws. 

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I've not lived in Granton since 1990 (since I was wee) so my frame of reference is a bit skewed, but back then the Jubilee was the dug's baws. 

I thought it was alright but more I used it the more I was getting fed up and not enjoying it. took two and a half hours one night to get a delivery after calling two or three times miss placed my order then blamed not having any delivery drivers asked me on the phone what can I do if I cant get a delivery to you. I cracked up told him he should not be accepting any deliveries if they cant be met. He gave me £10 credit onto the account my Mrs used for my Daughter but not been back since . Javits is alright over the road, Groathill was a good one too but never re opened after lockdown what was a shame. 

As a kid in Penicuik it was The Tower. Could buy bottles of chippy sauce in Globe glass juice bottles as well to enhance the condiment section at home.

Was a game changer though when the Penny Cook started selling kebabs and pizzas.

Edited by Costanza

The chip Inn in oxgangs was class, the pizzas were superb.

C Star in Gorgie was awright used to go there after a game if I couldn't be bothered waiting at the Gorgie fish bar.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

It was called The C Star after a team Mario was involved with in the Amateurs. Mario also owned the Empress in Wheatfield and the chippy in Oxgangs. He was a ST holder at Tynecastle.

Incidentally , I remember a predecessor of the C Star that used coal to heat the fryers!

Was the Empress in Wheatfield Street near the top later became a takeaway Chinese 

2 hours ago, Mark_Mywords said:

I remember the one up from the Gunner well.  They kept on getting robbed so installed bullet proof glass(or similar material) all the way up to the ceiling, forcing you to get your chips through a wee hatch.

We didn't get treated to a chippy often, but when we did it was magic!

No photo description available.

Yeah that's true. I particularly remember the wee hatches that they served you through 🤣

I P Knightley
On 15/11/2021 at 17:07, William H. Bonney said:

The international on gilmour place. 

I'm confused. You're in my neck of the woods and I've used the chippy in Gilmore Place quite a few times but I thought that the International was the name of the chippy at the bottom of Yeaman Place (which is where my folks used to get our fish suppers).

Both good enough but I think the Gilmore Place one was better.

Of course, it's just a hop and a skip from there up to the Globetrotter which, for me was the best of the three.

On 15/11/2021 at 17:55, crunchy frog said:

Brattisanis?

Ooh, I didn't like Brattisanis. Only tried it once or twice but the greasiest chips I ever had.

On 15/11/2021 at 17:49, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stenhouse Cross  chippy because I lived in Saughton Mains and the Sunset that was across the road from Tynecastle annex, now Aldi.

Back in the 1970s/80s, it was owned by a Hearts supporter; a pal of my dad's.

There was one in Elm Row that was owned by (surprise, surprise) an Italian family neamed Andreucci. I'd done them a few favours through work and they were very good to me and their suppers were great. They were once serving me a fish supper (gratis) and asked whether I'd like anything on it. "Another fish and a haggis pudding." and, fair play to them, that's what I got :D

I'm now terribly fat - I wonder why!

William H. Bonney
6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm confused. You're in my neck of the woods and I've used the chippy in Gilmore Place quite a few times but I thought that the International was the name of the chippy at the bottom of Yeaman Place (which is where my folks used to get our fish suppers).

The international was round the corner from viewforth. I was at boroughmuir when I went to it.  
Bottom of viewforth then turn left onto gilmour place. That’s where the chippy was. 
i think the family that owned the international also owned the globetrotter. 

Edited by William H. Bonney

I P Knightley
22 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

The international was round the corner from viewforth. I was at boroughmuir when I went to it.  
Bottom of viewforth then turn left onto gilmour place. That’s where the chippy was. 
i think the family that owned the international also owned the globetrotter. 

So now I need to know the name of the one in Yeaman Place. Intercontinental??

Konrad von Carstein
30 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Of course, it's just a hop and a skip from there up to the Globetrotter which, for me was the best of the three.

Ooh, I didn't like Brattisanis. Only tried it once or twice but the greasiest chips I ever had.

Back in the 1970s/80s, it was owned by a Hearts supporter; a pal of my dad's.

There was one in Elm Row that was owned by (surprise, surprise) an Italian family neamed Andreucci. I'd done them a few favours through work and they were very good to me and their suppers were great. They were once serving me a fish supper (gratis) and asked whether I'd like anything on it. "Another fish and a haggis pudding." and, fair play to them, that's what I got :D

I'm now terribly fat - I wonder why!

80's is when we schlepped there from Saughton Mains after a weekend  afternoon leading to early evening of spliffs and general *uckwittery.

God, I'd love to young and feckless once more...

Another shout for Tarry’s in Manse Road. Or the Corbie.

The Bar-B-Que was generally ok, apart from the evening the broon sauce on my chips smelled like a rather different brown substance.

I P Knightley
12 hours ago, William H. Bonney said:

Aquamarina? 

Ooh! I think you're right, there; well played. Very dim and distant past when anything vaguely 'foreign' was exotic, so Aquamaria, International and Intercontinental were all from the same genre :D

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, leginten said:

Another shout for Tarry’s in Manse Road. Or the Corbie.

The Bar-B-Que was generally ok, apart from the evening the broon sauce on my chips smelled like a rather different brown substance.

Mentioned earlier that The Corbie used to be the refuge of the drunk and desperate (i.e. me in the early 1980s, if I found myself in D. Mains). Nowadays, though, it is quite the culinary delight.

William H. Bonney

I used to like the chippy on wardlaw place in gorgie. It’s now cheeky chicken. 
This was when I was living there 2009-2015. I can’t recall it’s name but I actually thought it was better than the gorgie fry. 

23 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Mentioned earlier that The Corbie used to be the refuge of the drunk and desperate (i.e. me in the early 1980s, if I found myself in D. Mains). Nowadays, though, it is quite the culinary delight.

I believe The Corbie is owned by the same family who run The Gold Sea on Ferry Road. My auntie used to stay across from Holy Cross Primary and I used to stay a lot so used to get The Gold Sea to deliver loads. Used to be a great chippy in the mid 2000's but according to those I know who are more local these days it's average.

21 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

This was when I was living there 2009-2015. I can’t recall it’s name but I actually thought it was better than the gorgie fry. 

Must've closed a good bit before 2015 if it's where Cheeky Chicken is. I can't remember the chippy tbh, but I do recall me and some random boy absolutely steaming and pishing ourselves laughing at the name 'Cheeky Chicken' the evening of a certain cup final in 2012.

34 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

I think the one on Wardlaw Place was called Prontos, at one time anyway.

17 minutes ago, Locky said:

I believe The Corbie is owned by the same family who run The Gold Sea on Ferry Road. My auntie used to stay across from Holy Cross Primary and I used to stay a lot so used to get The Gold Sea to deliver loads. Used to be a great chippy in the mid 2000's but according to those I know who are more local these days it's average.

It is indeed. They have a couple of branded vans with the names of both chippies on them. The Corbie isn't the best but it's always busy so you normally get fairly fresh stuff that hasn't been sitting in a heater for hours.