Best chippy in Edinburgh when you were wee..

Morgan

Three for me - 

The Globetrotter at Bruntsfield.

Marios in Oxgangs.

The Clan Chattan in Morningside.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Locky

• Tazio

• I P Knightley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Tarry's in Manse Road, Corstorphine. 

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Tarrys, Manse road, corstorphine, round from the corrie inn pub.

Do you two know each other?

🧐

Jeffros Furios

Most chippies are shite now , the *******s keep reheating the chips .

The Italian chippie at Oxgangs is now terrible .

The chippy on the stand of shops under the high flats in the Calders scheme.

Why?  Because that's where I was whilst "wee".

Good chippy though.

Konrad von Carstein

Stenhouse Cross  chippy because I lived in Saughton Mains and the Sunset that was across the road from Tynecastle annex, now Aldi.

Pasquale for King

My dad liked the one in Albert Street, the aforementioned Giovannis at Northfield, the one opposite PC world and the St Andrews in Porty.  
Hard to beat the Gorgie Fry for Fish nowadays. 

I seem to remember one in Iona street, maybe just next to where the Strathmore Bar is, or it might have been the equivalent on Dalmeny Street, either way they were close to Buchanan street.  This would be 1978, and it basically only seemed to serve pudding suppers, chicken and fish. Old school animal fat, and the chips seemed unworldly good.

:sweeet:

47 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Good chippy though.

Thistle pops!

the sub goalie
42 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stenhouse Cross  chippy because I lived in Saughton Mains and the Sunset that was across the road from Tynecastle annex, now Aldi.

My gran used to take me to the sunset monthly for a sit in fish tea, was always decent.

Although not a chippy, the Peacock Inn, Newhaven was our restaurant of choice for family meals when I was a nipper and I always remember the fish and chips being massive.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Jubilee on West Granton Road.

Used to go to the Jubilee all the time when my Uncle stayed in Wardieburn in the late 90's. Cracking chippy. Never really got the hype about Javits. I think the Jubilee is still there but IIRC the original family sold it on just before covid

1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Growing up, had to be Giovanni's in Northfield.

Barry Chippy

Giovanni's became a favourite of mine living in Niddrie and Portobello about a decade ago. Only place I've found that does Chicken Kebab meat in the munchy box as well as Donner. Cracking chippy.

Growing up in the Southside, Oscars was always good over from the Odeon. Think it closed down only a year or 2 before the pictures itself. Following that Franco's became the go to, next to Drouthy Neebors. Still there now and cheap as, well, chips. Used to get a half pizza supper there for £1.20 up until about 2006. 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Good chippy though.

Aldo's?

Just now, Morgan said:

Three for me - 

Marios in Oxgangs.

Carmens at the top shops was always better

hereford_hearts
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Extra sauce, please.

And, after moving west, the answer became The Barbie on Glasgow Road.

I concur. Every lunchtime there when at Craigie.

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

:lol:

Extra salty sauce on yer chips, madam?

There’s only two things smell like fish, and one of them is fish.

:facepalm: 

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Do you two know each other?

🧐

Ha Ha, was always in Tarrys post a few drinks in the corrie inn, mind one night i asked one of the staff out lol

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Three for me - 

Marios in Oxgangs.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

There was a good one at Newington, but it’s name escapes me right now?

did you just go around trying chippies when you were younger? 

In the early 70s, Erasmo’s at Sciennes - lemon sole suppers and a 10 pence bag of chips that would a family of four! Only thing Newington Brattisani’s had over Erasmo’s was the sit-in booth facility, but if you didn’t need to sit-in, Erasmo’s was the place.

hereford_hearts
42 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Ha Ha, was always in Tarrys post a few drinks in the corrie inn, mind one night i asked one of the staff out lol

Victor Tarry was my next door neighbor when I was growing up. Free black pudding and chips for me.

When I was about 13, I discovered that I could watch his wife topless sunbathing out of the window at the top of the stairs. In later years I talked to my dad about, and he knew about it. He reckoned she knew about it to, as she would only put the radio she took outside up loud when she was topless. Was never topless when Victor was at home.

Edited by hereford_hearts
Sp

4 minutes ago, hereford_hearts said:

Victor Tarry was my next door neighbor when I was growing up. Free black pudding and chips for me.

When I was about 13, I discovered that I could watch his wife topless sunbathing out of the window at the top of the stairs. In later years I talked to my dad about, and he knew about it. He reckoned she knew about it to, as she would only put the radio she took outside up loud when she was topless. Was never topless when Victor was at home.

Blah blah blah pudding joke blah blah etc. 😀

42 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

did you just go around trying chippies when you were younger? 

Something like that.  It sort of depended on where I’d been on any given night.

I liked a smoked sausage supper back then.

49 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Dae ye fancy a night out, hen, coz ah'd like some extra fish fingers...

:vrface:

Vinegar strokes, sir?

Sandys opposite the foot of West Preston Street in Causewayside.  In the  forties, a bag of chips with brown sauce and or vinegar, part of the pleasure was the walk from South Ocky shouting "put out that light" and having people check if they were  contravening black out regs. Then the return trip with a quick run through the two entrance  doors at the  Junction pub shouting "Yer beers made o' watter. there was also Dicksons in Causewayside near the wash house, and at the other end Rizis run by two women. All were good. 

1 hour ago, hereford_hearts said:

im sure Victor had a wee mini van, Grey maybe, he was an ok guy. thats some story.🙂.

After a swim in the infirmary St Baths my parents used to take us to Drummond Street. There used to be 3 sit-in chippies on it. The best one had logs across the ceiling and the chips were done in a metal dust bin. I absolutely loved that place. 

When it was too busy we'd got to one of the others. One of them after the counter was really narrow.

The Kingfisher on Bread Street used to be great too. I think after the original owners sold up (late 80s) it went completely downhill.

My sister worked in Brattisanis.

The City Restaurant was oddly enough a dive chippie until they made the Festival Theatre. Its actually been a generally good chippie throughout.

Tony's chippie in Gilmerton. You could sit through the back which was always dimly lit.

Strange but chippies play a big part in our lives.  Had some great memories.

Edited by Pap